Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,705 members, 7,837,579 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 07:32 AM

Psychology Of Kokomansion - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Psychology Of Kokomansion (902 Views)

Psychology Of Selling / Psychology Of Selling / Psychology Of Selling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Psychology Of Kokomansion by hellyjay: 8:59pm On Jul 31, 2009
Psychology of Kokomansion
D’Banj has been denying any form of skirt-hunting in his Kokomansion show where he’s been warehousing a bevy of desperate ‘kokolettes’ who must either taste the D’Banj carrot or his celebrity status or both.
Well, it’s a free country. But denial, a form of maladjustment, is another piece of evidence to convince all his fans and diligent observers he’s got a whole lot of smut to cover.
I’m neither a fan of his – nor any of his chattering colleagues. Call them artistes if you like. But I’m a dutiful observer of anything Nigerian that comes under my radar. His harmonica piqued my interest when he first came on the scene in the late 90s. Likewise his articulation – unlike that braggart called Baale and a band of others who think they sing hiphop but speak is and was. Even those of them that speak English like a house on fire – Faze, Banky, Olu Maintain and MI – have lost their genius. They are either twisting Rihana’s Umbrella or featuring their mothers sanctifying their unholy albums, or just spouting gibberish. Others could be aping 50 Cents, Tupac and Shaggy.
Maybe I sound like a nihilist. I’m not. But I’ll be caught dead listening to any of them when I can always soak in Prophet Fela Anikulapo and his pot-inspired musings. Plus those vintage croons of Uwaifo, Olaiya, Roy Chicago, and so on.
Well. D Banj struck me, from his Why Me, Mo Bo Lowo Won, Oloun Ma Je etc., as paranoid and maladjusted. No hatred, please. He imagines he has legions of enemies; he always feels persecuted in spite of his Channels O, AMMA, and HIP-HOP World awards; he feels insecure. And again, like the late Wacko Jacko – I’m sure nobody called him toad when he was drooling on his mouth organ – D Banj has low self esteem because he thinks he doesn’t have much for his female fans to ogle. He feels he is ugly: Some people say I no fine. He might have even been secretly comparing his face with Soul E’s and Banky’s – the handsomest hip-hop faces in Nigeria. That’s why he needs to get appreciation, by suasion or extortion, especially from his female fans, to meet his self esteem need, as Abraham Maslow posits.
And the only way to convince himself he’s every lady’s man, a hunk, and a macho guy is by trumpeting his sexcapades – his highly demanded ‘kokomycine’, his randiness.
Couldn’t that drive – that self esteem need – have inspired a Kokomansion – a show involving a celebrity obsessed with his imagined ugly face now made the only knight in shining armour, and planted in a harem of ladies of diverse height, colour, thickness, curves and arcs, all scheming to seduce, solicit, charm, and possibly rape just one player?
Doesn’t that look like somebody who has the means and might is using a reality show to massage his erotic ego – to compensate for his ugly nose?
Psychologists have noted that mal-adjusted people have different modes of compensating for their needs. Some could be outrageous. Some could be tolerable. It’s very like D’Banj – smart, pro-active, and capitalistic – to have chosen the milder option.
Rather than go for plastic surgery, like MJ, to remould his supposedly ugly face, he’s chosen a subtle mode – harping on his own sexiness, screened by those Abacha’s goggles, and simulating an orgiastic nest feathered by some corporate hawks. There could have been no better rutting season for the Kokomaster!
Tunde Zubair, owner of HiTv, official medium of Kokomansion, once said the reality show is meant to project the African woman to the outside world. But to gauge the pulse of African women by manipulating a handful with fame and fortune so they can unleash their coquetry to cool the raging hormones of a sex neurotic is unscientific and, maybe, unfair. The Hawthorne effect – that the subjects could influence the result of an experiment – will definitely trivialise the reality of Kokomansion.
Besides, casting African women in this pristine, polygamous mould in which a wagon-load of women must readily lose themselves in the world of a single man portrays Africa as backward in this century.
The Kokomaster should be true to himself first, as Shakespeare advised. He should admit his insatiable need to balance his looks with his anticipated and social selves ; his need to convince his female fans he can earn their kisses and hugs in spite of his warts and all.
Though D’banj might not elope with any of the Kokolettes in the mansion, ultimately, he can be sure of gathering loads of lustful emotions and titillating sights that will inspire an hour-long album fully spiced with heroics and gutter language. That’s more money for Mo’Hits and D’banj.
For the Nigerian women – no pity. The thousands participating directly or indirectly are doing so by choice. It is just natural, as free moral agents, if they chose to be turned to fetishes needed to inflame the lust of a man struggling, secretly, with low self esteem.
Sigmud Freud should be stirring in his grave now. Kokomansion is again validating his psycho-sexual theory that all that man – say D’banj – thinks about is his libido even when he pretends to be doing the most altruistic thing, like showcasing the virtues of the African woman.
In the long run, Kokomansion will be proud of certain achievements. It will reveal to the whole wide world how Nigerian women desire to be herded, to be stereotyped, and seduced using hip-hop standards and gifts. The unrealistic show will also translate into greater possibilities for pimps, woman traffickers, and drug barons, especially as the economic meltdown lasts. And Nigeria should be better for it.
Re: Psychology Of Kokomansion by maedan(f): 10:43pm On Jul 31, 2009
Oh for goodness sake! grin. It's just a stupid show! No need to get your toenails in a twist! cheesy
At first I was irked by the show and what it represented, but then I thought to myself, "Lighten up!" There are really worse things in the world than Dbanj and his bevy at the "Kokomansion" (a so-called mansion where they don't even have a decent gym-room where the girls can work out, not even exercise mats!! I watched Rekana(a recent evictee) do her work-outs on the bare floor!!! Gruesome!!

But seeing as yours is a purely intellectual discourse, let me not reduce it to mere bitching about the lack of basic amenities in the house(ordinary cornflakes sef, they've run out. He can't even afford to feed them properly. What a mansion! tongue) What you have said makes perfect sense; this is Nigeria, Africa, they brought Big Brother, we managed to cope. But now with this Kokomansion they've opened a whole new door to reality shows, unsavoury or not. Before you know it, we'll be having our own version of "The Bachelor," where some blue-blood mega-rich Nigerian bachelor will get to choose his Nigerian bride from a harem of desperadoes grin.

From your theory, I can see that the dismay generated by the airing of the "Kokomansion" goes deeper than mere annoyance at Dbanj's sheer nerve(who does he think he is?? angry cheesy). The people's anger is based on fear for our culture, our Nigerian essence being sold for cheap entertainment that offers no advancement whatsoever for all concerned. That said, I'm ashamed to admit I've enjoyed a few episodes myself, laughed with them, laughed at them(happens most of the time) and felt sorry for them when they got thrown out without a second thought. The psychology of Kokomansion? There is no pschology. There is only mayhem and a slow but certain erosion of our culture and values. And this is only just the beginning. wink
Re: Psychology Of Kokomansion by ravenzord(m): 10:55pm On Jul 31, 2009
Koko Mansion, Nigerian version of 4 d love of RayJ, never watched it,doubt if I ever will.
Re: Psychology Of Kokomansion by ikamefa(f): 1:38am On Aug 01, 2009
i make it a point never to read long posts on nl, i actually read thru all that ish up there undecided

the long and short of it all is that @ topic has a boner for dbanj and that monkey-party he has going on ,on tv grin grin grin grin

psychology of koko mansion you ask? Narcissism i guess smiley
Re: Psychology Of Kokomansion by lindabon: 10:54pm On Aug 02, 2009
i just watched d show 4d first time. was quite dissapointed at d out come. really dissapointed.dbanj was almost scolding the girls dat wer on nomination.4rm me, i dont tink dats somtin a real man should do. i mean, who cares about who d right kokolet is. every girl is beautiful and wonderful in her own way. one mans meat, is anodas poison,  beauty is in d eye of d beholder. so no girl should be criticised 4not being d rit kololet. a lot of men out der(non-kokomasters) wil always love,appreciate and even die 4dem.

The right kokolet or wat eva, should nt be used 2generalize our 9ja babes.dey deserve more dan dat. dis show just shows nigerian women in d wrong ways. and talk of the girls dat even applied 4it in d 1st place hmmmmmm,  anyway,dat one dey

i no dbanj wil make money 4rm d show but he would have made much more than what he bargained 4 if he had run d show beta than wat i have seen so far. anytin;
1. anti feminist
2. that tries to remind women of their past(wid d women r properties of the kitchen and stuff)
3. that dose'nt exhault women's values
4. or dissrespects the feminine world

cannot work in dis century.

somebody should have told the kokomaster that

Much love to dbanj anyway, no disrespect to him and his crew.i'm just saying what  i tink of the show.the idea of having a reality show was a good one, but the approach,execution and strategies wer really poor. if not because of the name of the show(KOKOmansion), i can guarantee that no one will know that it even exists.
Re: Psychology Of Kokomansion by maedan(f): 1:39am On Aug 03, 2009
@ lindabon, well said. It's a shame that this show however elicits the highest amount of fanship. On facebook alone, the way some people discuss it like it's so real. But from what you've said, I'm beginning to return to my first impression of the show. D'banj, how dared he, what right has he to stand and face a woman and tell her she's not good enough? Though he always opens it with, "the public has chosen etc". But blame the girls for bringing themselves into a position where someone will berate them for being who they are. Don't buy the form, don't get the insult and disgrace.

(1) (Reply)

Movie Scripts, Novels, Song Lyrics(hip Hop) And Radio Scripts For Sale / Sweet 16 . Comment! / Laura (iii)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.