Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:15 PM

A Man Who Cannot Foot The Bills Of The Home Has Lost His Right To Headship - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Man Who Cannot Foot The Bills Of The Home Has Lost His Right To Headship (1328 Views)

Lady Hails Father Who Lost His Hands But Still Works As A Builder (Photos) / My Guy Has Lost Interest In Sex Since Our Baby's Birth. What Should I Do? / "I Have Been Dreaming Of My Mother Recently" - Man Who Lost His Mum Needs Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Man Who Cannot Foot The Bills Of The Home Has Lost His Right To Headship by Dominicah(f): 12:35pm On Apr 10, 2016
Imagine a home where the wife pays for rent, pays children's school fees, how dare such a man give orders to his wife and call himself head of the home?

I think the head of the home is the woman
Re: A Man Who Cannot Foot The Bills Of The Home Has Lost His Right To Headship by psucc(m): 12:42pm On Apr 10, 2016
Rightly so. But where the husband fails due to circumstances beyond his control, the wife can assist him for the interim .

This doesn't imply he folds his arms and watch.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Man Who Cannot Foot The Bills Of The Home Has Lost His Right To Headship by akike: 12:56pm On Apr 10, 2016
Dominicah:
Imagine a home where the wife pays for rent, pays children's school fees, how dare such a man give orders to his wife and call himself head of the home?

I disagree with you

I don't submit to the stereotypical definition of the head. I think it is a mere tag to keep relationship in check. For example, it does not mean that he can make stvpid decisions or act like a mor.on or do things that would significantly affect the family without checking with his wife. Inasmuch, he is still accountable to someone then his role isn't such a big deal. His word might be final in some cases however that does not mean that he can make mor.onic decisions because it is final. It is impossible to have two captains on a ship. Being a co-captain is a supervisory role, you get to call him out when and however you like. Being the head is spiritual in a way. This is the reason I disagree with people that throw the word around like fo.ols.

To your question, providing the finances shouldn't mean shit. That is why I hate it when some men think that breadwinner is synonymous to being a tyrant. It does not mean you make better decisions. In this scenario, she is not the head. Just because she provides for her family does not mean that she is 'the head' in 'your context'.

I think, a family with love, understanding and empathy will not be bothered. I will expect such family to take considerate decisions. I don't have a problem when people take decisions on my behalf, so far it is not hostile, selfish or harmful to my being.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Man Who Cannot Foot The Bills Of The Home Has Lost His Right To Headship by rawtouch: 1:01pm On Apr 10, 2016
negodu
Re: A Man Who Cannot Foot The Bills Of The Home Has Lost His Right To Headship by 2good(m): 1:24pm On Apr 10, 2016
Dominicah:

If a woman cannot take care of the financial need of her home, what is the point spending money on the girl child education? Women claim to be equal to men except when it comes to the time for responsibilities.

6 Likes

Re: A Man Who Cannot Foot The Bills Of The Home Has Lost His Right To Headship by Fanirandele: 2:04pm On Apr 10, 2016
2good:

If a woman cannot take care of the financial need of her home, what is the point spending money on the girl child education? Women claim to be equal to men except when it comes to the time for responsibilities.

Men are also selective, you want to claim superiority but you have no problem with the woman becoming the permanent breadwinner? You can't have it both ways. I think most women won't have a problem with footing the bills as long as men agree they are equals. She can't be footing the bills and you'll still be claiming to be superior to her undecided

3 Likes

Re: A Man Who Cannot Foot The Bills Of The Home Has Lost His Right To Headship by Mamatee07: 2:21pm On Apr 10, 2016
2good:

Men claim to be superior to women except when it comes to women paying bills. The woman will be the breadwinner yet the man won't help around the house because he will claim certain chores are beneath him If you argue that we are equals then no problem we will gladly pay bills since you will then pitch in with cooking and everything else. You can't except any woman to be happy to be the bread winner and still the one in charge of chores and kids. What then is such a man bringing to the table angry

6 Likes

Re: A Man Who Cannot Foot The Bills Of The Home Has Lost His Right To Headship by 2good(m): 2:46pm On Apr 10, 2016
Mamatee07:

Men claim to be superior to women except when it comes to women paying bills. The woman will be the breadwinner yet the man won't help around the house because he will claim certain chores are beneath him If you argue that we are equals then no problem we will gladly pay bills since you will then pitch in with cooking and everything else. You can't except any woman to be happy to be the bread winner and still the one in charge of chores and kids. What then is such a man bringing to the table angry

Men have been taking care of their family from time immemorial and dying in the process without complaining because they are programmed from birth that it is their responsibility. Men still take care of most responsibility in over 80% of Nigerian homes without complaining. So if you see someone who is struggling to do that, he is an outlier.

1 Like

Re: A Man Who Cannot Foot The Bills Of The Home Has Lost His Right To Headship by Kimoni: 2:53pm On Apr 10, 2016
Temporarily, it can happen, no yawa but permanently, i don't pray for that.
Re: A Man Who Cannot Foot The Bills Of The Home Has Lost His Right To Headship by Tolatutu: 3:16pm On Apr 10, 2016
2good:

Men have been taking care of their family from time immemorial and dying in the process without complaining because they are programmed from birth that it is their responsibility. Men still take care of most responsibility in over 80% of Nigerian homes without complaining. So if you see someone who is struggling to do that, he is an outlier.

The difference is when Men do that the women take care of the home but when women pay the bills the men still don't want want to take care of the home. Of course the women will complain, why will she be the breadwinner and still be treated as if she's beneath him and he's too big to take on chores like cooking and washing . If you pay all the bills and your wife doesn't do housework won't you be pissed How can one person be the one doing everything and expected to be smiling , when she's not a Mumu angry

As for the topic it depends on the definition of head , if it's like the Nigerian men definition where they think they get to make all the rules then yes he has lost that right although no one party should ever even have that right no matter who's making the money. But in homes where that is the case the woman may take it while you are the one bringing the money but of course it will change when she's the one bringing it. She can't be the one Earning the money and you'll expect her not to have a say on how that money Is spent .
Re: A Man Who Cannot Foot The Bills Of The Home Has Lost His Right To Headship by jashar(f): 8:12pm On Apr 10, 2016
the scenario the OP painted would only happen in a home where there's a power tussle.
If the man is temporarily/permanently incapacitated due to some genuine reasons like health/ bad business condition/termination of employment for sometime does it make the man any less the head of the home?
If you married him and he got involved in an accident that left him badly injured and the wife has to shoulder bulk of the financial responsibilities, does that make her the head of the home?
Women should learn our place abeg and stop dragging shoulders unnecessarily.
The husband should be the head irrespective of situations and circumstances.
Above all, women should marry a man they won't have issues submitting to.

1 Like

Re: A Man Who Cannot Foot The Bills Of The Home Has Lost His Right To Headship by PresVA: 8:47pm On Apr 10, 2016
A man remains the head irrespective of situations. . God didn't give any conditions for husbands' headship. ..

Meanwhile, all these headship, bla bla bla... a family where the couple live as friends/lovers, hardly notices who's the 'head' or 'tail' because they do things together; they're more like partners/siblings. ...
Re: A Man Who Cannot Foot The Bills Of The Home Has Lost His Right To Headship by saintneo(m): 9:07pm On Apr 10, 2016
Any woman struggling to get the tag 'head' is very ill-mannered. For a man struggling to do same, such man is a child.

1 Like

Re: A Man Who Cannot Foot The Bills Of The Home Has Lost His Right To Headship by raumdeuter: 9:56pm On Apr 10, 2016
The OP reasoning is why some men are ruthless when they have financial power

Because the only reason they are in the marriage is because of money

1 Like

Re: A Man Who Cannot Foot The Bills Of The Home Has Lost His Right To Headship by obiaguna(m): 12:38am On Apr 11, 2016
First of. Men aren't wired to do domestic house hold chores. Is it necessary, yes but from time immemorial women have always done these things. Does it make any one the bad person? No. It's just the way it is. Plus times have changed and you can always hire live in helps or hire external maid service so that's settled.

Secondly, marriage is a partnership and I don't subscribe to this head and tail analogy. I think marriage should be a partnership with each partner working towards a common goal. Marriage requires mutual respect and when there is that respect, the there would be happiness and less fights. Y'all make it sound like it's a war zone out there. It's not. You lots keep getting married for the wrong reasons and then you run here sprewing hate messages and what not.

1 Like

Re: A Man Who Cannot Foot The Bills Of The Home Has Lost His Right To Headship by obiaguna(m): 12:44am On Apr 11, 2016
PresVA:
A man remains the head irrespective of situations. . God didn't give any conditions for husbands' headship. ..

Meanwhile, all these headship, bla bla bla... a family where the couple live as friends/lovers, hardly notices who's the 'head' or 'tail' because they do things together; they're more like partners/siblings. ...

Exactly. Some people just make marriage feel like it's guns and ammunitions. Seek true love first, then respect your partner. Build solid friendship and partnership regardless of age or financial parity and watch your marriage blossom. It's not rocket science really. If you as a woman is taking care of the finances and you are beginning to feel overwhelmed then talk to your husband and make him see reasons why he needs to assist and get something doing (even if I think he is a tool if he's perfectly okay with such situation). Fighting and waiting for ur ass to be licked and cherished isn't the answer really.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Daystar Women Of Destiny Conference 2016 Ends In A Blaze Of God's Glory (pics) / Is Marriage Really The Answer? / A Gurantor's Position Under The Law

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.