Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,055 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

Meet This 17yrs Old Nigerian Girl:she Got White House Attention - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Meet This 17yrs Old Nigerian Girl:she Got White House Attention (2321 Views)

Abiola, 21-Year-Old Nigerian Medical Doctor (Photos) / She Graduated As An OND Student, See What She Got From Friends - Photos / Nigerian Girl Who Speaks 5 Foreign Languages At 22 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet This 17yrs Old Nigerian Girl:she Got White House Attention by teegrams(m): 8:50am On Apr 11, 2016
Nigeria is blessed with exceptionally talented and brilliant individuals who continue to blaze the trail in various aspects of life and 17-year-old Augusta Uwamanzu-Nna, just made her debut on the list of trail blazers. The Daily Mail reports that the high school senior and valedictorian with a 101.64 weighted Grade-Point Average didn’t just get into one Ivy League university. She has been accepted into all eight.

Hard worker

Augusta credits her success to hard work, persistence, her parents who taught her the importance of education and her teachers. Her research adviser, Michelle Flannory, says the teenager is a natural talent, but she also acknowledges the fact that Augusta puts in a lot of work and strives for excellence. “She knows that you have to work … she definitely pursues excellence.”

Although she’s celebrated today, she does admit that the journey to her accomplishment was not a walk in the park, “I’ve struggled with numerous classes in the past,” she said. “But I guess what allowed me to be successful, ultimately, in those classes, at the end, is my persistence and my tenacity.”

Also read about :[url][/url]https://rayoonline.com/2016/04/10/nigerian-boxer-wins-world-heavyweight-title/
Science whiz

Augusta loves science and plans to pursue it in college. She has received numerous awards in New York science and engineering competitions. Recently, she was declared a finalist in an Intel competition for her research project on cement that could prevent underwater oil rigs from rupturing. Augusta says the research project taught her the importance of sustainable development, hence she would like to combine her bio-chemistry work with environmental policy.

She dabbles

“I get my hands in everything and that explains why I tend to stay late in school. But it definitely paid off because I learned that I’m interested in so many things.” Augusta is president of two extracurricular clubs and a member of several honour societies.

Invitation to the White House

On Monday April 4, Augusta received an invitation to attend the White House Science Fair, an event where young scientists and engineers from across America are hosted by the president to showcase their inventions, experiments and discoveries.

Tough decision

Augusta has three weeks to decide which one of the prestigious universities she’ll attend, including New York University, Johns Hopkins University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). But the young lady says she’s “still quite unsure” which school to choose. “… I know attending any of them will be such a great honour,” said Augusta who is still very excited about the news.

Impact her fatherland

The 17-year-old says her numerous visits to Nigeria has helped her realise that there aren’t as many opportunities, so she definitely wants to make sure that all her actions and decisions reflect well on her homeland. Thankfully, she’s already doing that.

Two years in a row

Last year, Nigerian teenager, Harold Ekeh, also got accepted into 13 American universities. Ekeh, who chose Yale among 8 Ivy League universities, was also a student of Elmont Memorial High School.

Caron Cox, the chairwoman of pupil personnel services at the school says that though the school has been under the radar, “… there are some really great things happening here at Elmont Memorial High School.”

Source: http://venturesafrica.com/a-17-year-old-nigerian-gets-accepted-into-all-eight-american-ivy-league-universities-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

1 Like

Re: Meet This 17yrs Old Nigerian Girl:she Got White House Attention by anuma1(m): 8:52am On Apr 11, 2016
Igbo Girls Movement.

2 Likes

Re: Meet This 17yrs Old Nigerian Girl:she Got White House Attention by obizzy(m): 8:57am On Apr 11, 2016
Nwa idi sharp!

Beauty and brains. Lethal combo.

1 Like

Re: Meet This 17yrs Old Nigerian Girl:she Got White House Attention by Nobody: 9:09am On Apr 11, 2016
Keep doing naija proud

1 Like

Re: Meet This 17yrs Old Nigerian Girl:she Got White House Attention by teegrams(m): 9:20am On Apr 11, 2016
Seconded
anuma1:
Igbo Girls Movement.
Re: Meet This 17yrs Old Nigerian Girl:she Got White House Attention by weezii(m): 10:44am On Apr 11, 2016
obizzy:
Nwa idi sharp!

Beauty and brains. Lethal combo.
Baddest combo.
Re: Meet This 17yrs Old Nigerian Girl:she Got White House Attention by teegrams(m): 10:48am On Apr 11, 2016
bet
weezii:

Baddest combo.
Re: Meet This 17yrs Old Nigerian Girl:she Got White House Attention by Danielle22(f): 11:55am On Apr 11, 2016
Congrats girl
Re: Meet This 17yrs Old Nigerian Girl:she Got White House Attention by DaFlash: 4:55pm On Apr 11, 2016
F.l.a.t.t.i.e.s representinggrin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Meet This 17yrs Old Nigerian Girl:she Got White House Attention by DaFlash: 4:56pm On Apr 11, 2016
Re: Meet This 17yrs Old Nigerian Girl:she Got White House Attention by goodnews201668: 5:00pm On Apr 11, 2016
All they know is painting us bad, this is what they are good at.
She must be an ipod all they know is misrepresentating us. I know the girl must be yellow bar (ndi oil soup). Lol, they'll avoid this thread like Ebola.

Up igbos

1 Like

Re: Meet This 17yrs Old Nigerian Girl:she Got White House Attention by hammedkola(m): 5:11pm On Apr 11, 2016
If she was born in Nigeria, accepted, IF not...forget it undecided

1 Like

Re: Meet This 17yrs Old Nigerian Girl:she Got White House Attention by Juanapeters21: 7:30pm On Apr 11, 2016
Keep it up cutie
Re: Meet This 17yrs Old Nigerian Girl:she Got White House Attention by teegrams(m): 7:56pm On Apr 11, 2016
what do you mean Igbos
DaFlash:
Re: Meet This 17yrs Old Nigerian Girl:she Got White House Attention by Babangida70(m): 8:11pm On Apr 11, 2016
Asa nwa

Re: Meet This 17yrs Old Nigerian Girl:she Got White House Attention by mankan2k7(m): 9:11pm On Apr 11, 2016
Only a southerner can achieved that feet
Re: Meet This 17yrs Old Nigerian Girl:she Got White House Attention by DOUBLEWAHALA: 9:42pm On Apr 11, 2016
And who said dat B!AFRA will not be a GREAT CON3
Re: Meet This 17yrs Old Nigerian Girl:she Got White House Attention by Nobody: 11:07pm On Apr 11, 2016
lucky kid frm a wealthy family. kudos to her, she is making us proud 'so sai so sai'.

1 Last word "God punish d person dat introduced quota system in nigeria"
Re: Meet This 17yrs Old Nigerian Girl:she Got White House Attention by SexyStrawberry(f): 11:13pm On Apr 11, 2016
Chai! see as non igbos are avoiding this thread like say na Ebola grin racism is real bro, even amongst Nigerians grin

1 Like

Re: Meet This 17yrs Old Nigerian Girl:she Got White House Attention by 400billionman: 12:03am On Apr 12, 2016
Igbo girls, beauty and brains.
Re: Meet This 17yrs Old Nigerian Girl:she Got White House Attention by rammer87: 1:07am On Apr 12, 2016
if you want to order for our product you can give us a call or visit pharmworldng blog.

(1) (Reply)

Jamb Suspends All Admission Matters / 3 Important Things You Need To Do Before Entering JAMB Exam Hall / See What A Nigerian Did To His Old Classmate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.