Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:08 AM

Living In Nigeria For A Year. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Nigeria For A Year. (2234 Views)

Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates / This Is A Desert… But Once A Year It Turns Into Something Else / 2 Nigerian Students Deported From Canada After A Year In Hiding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Living In Nigeria For A Year. by topup: 4:22am On Aug 04, 2009
Hi,

I'm considering doing a work placement in Lagos next year (2010) and I was wondering about accomodation. Since I haven't lived in Lagos ever in my life, I'm not up to date. I've lived in Ife, and stayed in Abeokuta but Ife and Abeokuta are nothing compared to Lagos.
I'm a 20 year old Nigerian female, I understand Yoruba fully, and speak it competently, and I am wondering if you could all share some advice on how to go about living in Lagos for a year.

Which areas are advisable, which areas aren't, any tips.

Since I am also planning to work in Lagos, I was wondering how to secure a driver, whether one is necessary in fact.

Will my employer arrange such things, I have heard of people saying their employer have drivers. I know for a fact I won't be driving around. Also, the industry I am going into is male-dominated (Architectural firm).
As for family I have family in Lagos, but upon asking my mother she told me they live in the 'rough' area of Lagos, she suggested a family friend instead.

For the past 3 years I have been holidaying in Nigeria every summer, so I am used to the culture. That is not a problem for me, I am just worried about safety and accomodation, especially as I don't have any close relatives living somewhere close to where I intend to work.

How about renting a room in a hotel with security (is that too expensive?). Would I need a guide, or friend, does it matter if they're male or female.

Advise please.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by Pittbaby(f): 6:51pm On Aug 04, 2009
please contact your employer and have them arrange this or recommend a way of arranging this
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by damola1: 4:21am On Aug 05, 2009
I think it's better you first move to lagos, then decide where you want to stay, Find someone you know around in Lagos.

I stay in Lagos, in a 2 bedroom apartment, but before then, I lived with my parents,
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by Kabzy: 3:02pm On Aug 05, 2009
since u have a family in lagos, why dont u move in with them first to have a taste of where they live and if need be for a change then they advice u on where to go from there? i think it will be wise of u if u move in with them first.
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by Thor(m): 3:04pm On Aug 05, 2009
My advice is don't stay in Lagos. It is a filthy criminal infested rubbish tip that should avoided at all costs.

Why do you want to come to such a hell hole? undecided
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by spikedcylinder: 4:46pm On Aug 05, 2009
What kind of contract did you sign? I need to know what your contract says as regards housing, transportation and other allowances before I can give advice.
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by Jamesbona: 12:07am On Aug 06, 2009
topup:

Hi,

I'm considering doing a work placement in Lagos next year (2010) and I was wondering about accomodation. Since I haven't lived in Lagos ever in my life, I'm not up to date. I've lived in Ife, and stayed in Abeokuta but Ife and Abeokuta are nothing compared to Lagos.
I'm a 20 year old Nigerian female, I understand Yoruba fully, and speak it competently, and I am wondering if you could all share some advice on how to go about living in Lagos for a year.

Which areas are advisable, which areas aren't, any tips.

Since I am also planning to work in Lagos, I was wondering how to secure a driver, whether one is necessary in fact.

Will my employer arrange such things, I have heard of people saying their employer have drivers. I know for a fact I won't be driving around. Also, the industry I am going into is male-dominated (Architectural firm).
As for family I have family in Lagos, but upon asking my mother she told me they live in the 'rough' area of Lagos, she suggested a family friend instead.

For the past 3 years I have been holidaying in Nigeria every summer, so I am used to the culture. That is not a problem for me, I am just worried about safety and accomodation, especially as I don't have any close relatives living somewhere close to where I intend to work.

How about renting a room in a hotel with security (is that too expensive?). Would I need a guide, or friend, does it matter if they're male or female.

Advise please.

Thanks in advance.
@Topup, many things I believe you must have heard about Nigeria is true. Please, for your own good, apply all the wisdom in your disposal when you arrive. Very dangerous things happen in Lagos. I personally consider that place as the most dangerous part of Nigeria. I couldn't help it but heave a sigh of relief at what the current governor(name withheld for security reasons) is currently doing there. His reformations are indeed heartwarming. Never let anybody there have any reason to suspect your are a 'stranger' when you arrive; it could be suicidal. Never think of living anywhere near Ajegunle or Alaba. Lagos is the largest city in Nigeria and hotels would charge exorbitantantly for a single day and to think about a whole year with reliable security and mobility, wow! it will be more expensive than you could ever imagine. You must not take my advice but if I were in your shoes, I would prefer to live under the security of whatever firm in question. In conclusion, the Bible urges us to be as wise as serpents and yet as harmless as doves. Without God by your side, you are going to regret your trip, sequel to this, you must pray HARD. Wish you luck, Don't mind me, you will definitely enjoy it when it comes. Wish you a beautiful night!
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by damola1: 12:19am On Aug 06, 2009
Can't believe all this disgusting comments about Lagos,

Can't really believe it, cos this is where I grew up, and spent my entire life, This is a place over 15million people reside, and you are telling us it's the worst place to reside in,  I mean,  common,  15M people, including the richest black man in the world cannot be wrong!!!

See my dear,  Lagos is what you make out of it,  And don't let no one scare you,  I mean,  Lagos we are talking abt right?,  Same Lagos, that I club 2am,  same Lagos, that I have lived for close to 3 decades,  without anyone picking my pocket,  same lagos oh!!!,  Enough of this bad mouthing, 

Dear,  I will be very glad to be a guide if you ever need one,  Lagos has got cinemas, it's got shopping malls, it's also got beaches, it's got clubs, and Lagos is beautiful, simply understand it,  thats all: email me: damola@damola.com If you think you ever need support at all, will be very glad to, this people really make me feel sick.

If you as a person have ever had any bad experience in lagos, lets hear it,  lets analyse it, and lets see how synonymous it's to LAGOS ONLY!
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by ladygaga(f): 12:24am On Aug 06, 2009
Ha ha, na wah 4u oh, wt ol ur story ol abt,
She shldnt let anyone knw she is nu in twn,lag is terrible,.God dis,God dat, bla bla bla,.hmn, nigerians nd God!!its nt lyk they do wot dey hear o!, dey l jst be calln God,God at d slightest thngy!
Wil she be the first to cme work in 9ja, haba!!!gone r d days when nigerians had that 'oyinbo-mentality', dze days nobody dey send u, st cme do wat u gona do n enjoy ur stay, lag is a fun place to be, Ur welcome
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by spikedcylinder: 10:06am On Aug 06, 2009
Topup?
I'm waiting on your response o. . . . . at least till before this thread turns into a useless Nigeria vs Diaspora mudfest. smiley
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by Thor(m): 3:25pm On Aug 06, 2009
Lagos was ranked as the third most dangerous city in the world both to visit and live.

It was ranked after Baghdad in Iraq and Ibadan in Ivory Coast. Nigeria is also a very dangerous country and it was ranked as having the highest crime rate in the world from the years 2003 to 2005.

It's so bad and so dangerous there that it makes Johannesburg look like Disney Land. Lagos has a much higher crime rate and murder rate then Johannesburg.

Go out with a camera around your neck - you will be robbed.
Show more than a $1 bill at a time, you will be robbed or scammed.
Go out with Jewelry on, you will be robbed.
In fact - look anything like a tourist - you will be robbed / scammed or scammed and robbed.

You will be offered "official" guides - they will scam you.
You will be offered "official" taxi's - they will scam you.

Valuables left in your hotel room - will be stolen.
Valuables left in the hotel safe - will be stolen.

"The most dangerous part of air travel, is the drive to / from the airport" and not the flight.

It is not Lagos the City that is dangerous, it is the Lagosian people who are dangerous.

Lagos in short should be avoided at all cost as it is a dirty filthy crime ridden cesspit lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by wakagirl: 6:58pm On Aug 06, 2009
Thor:

Lagos was ranked as the third most dangerous city in the world both to visit and live.

It was ranked after Baghdad in Iraq and Ibadan in Ivory Coast. Nigeria is also a very dangerous country and it was ranked as having the highest crime rate in the world from the years 2003 to 2005.

It's so bad and so dangerous there that it makes Johannesburg look like Disney Land. Lagos has a much higher crime rate and murder rate then Johannesburg.

In fact - look anything like a tourist - you will be robbed / scammed or scammed and robbed.

"The most dangerous part of air travel, is the drive to / from the airport" and not the flight.

It is not Lagos the City that is dangerous, it is the Lagosian people who are dangerous.

Lagos in short should be avoided at all cost as it is a dirty filthy crime ridden cesspit lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

What?

The same Lagos State of Nigeria? This is simply unbelievable. Dont know what to say. I wish u are a guy i wouldve offered you a free room for a week in my place and you can say things yourself.
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by damola1: 7:51pm On Aug 06, 2009
wakagirl:

What?

The same Lagos State of Nigeria? This is simply unbelievable. Dont know what to say. I wish u are a guy i wouldve offered you a free room for a week in my place and you can say things yourself.

I am a guy, and not gay, so, come and stay with me for 1 week. And bring all your jeweries, dollar bills, and interestingly, I have so many $1 bill scattered all over my office, so come with it all, and I am sure you will have a different comment afterwards,
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by ladygaga(f): 7:05am On Aug 07, 2009
My dear top up!
It only makes sense 4u to cme to lag straight,since u wld b workin dia, or wt oda plans do u hv?, lagos isnt bad!!, u'l hav a gud tym!
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by ladygaga(f): 7:06am On Aug 07, 2009
My dear top up!
It only makes sense 4u to cme to lag straight,since u wld b workin dia, or wt oda plans do u hv?, lagos isnt bad!!, u'l hav a gud tym!
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by wakagirl: 7:46pm On Aug 07, 2009
damola1:

I am a guy, and not gay, so, come and stay with me for 1 week. And bring all your jeweries, dollar bills, and interestingly, I have so many $1 bill scattered all over my office, so come with it all, and I am sure you will have a different comment afterwards,

Did you by chance misunderstand me? I was responding to Thor who made Lagos look like one jungle that exist somewhere out of this world. I was wondering if he was talking about the same Lagos i live and enjoy more than anywhere else in this world.
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by ayomifull(f): 2:08pm On Sep 11, 2009
Lagos isnt that bad. U just have to be prepared for lack of normal facilities you are used to. All the best.
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by Dantecmu(m): 4:37pm On Sep 11, 2009
Topup

i would advice you remain where u are my reasons are this lagos dont need pple like you and i can asure you that whatever you fink you wanna come contribute we gat young vibrant youths already working on it i also wanna let you know that some of us have bein to where your writin from and have voluntrily came back to our own country without much noise makin. also it would be intresting for you to note that your presence or absence wont be noticed we are havin fun 2day is a friday n bet you suya spot would be feild with diffrent personalities from all part of the world and so i would advice that you and all your crew shut ur mouth n stop sayin things you dont know anyfing about when we all get to heaven where they ar no crimes n sins then we can talk about PERFECT i only stand to be corrected if ur writin from heaven.Bs

ciao
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by blackspade(m): 7:38pm On Sep 11, 2009
Thor:

It was ranked after Baghdad in Iraq and [size=20pt]Ibadan in Ivory Coast[/size]. Nigeria is also a very dangerous country and it was ranked as having the highest crime rate in the world from the years 2003 to 2005.

Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by justwise(m): 7:57pm On Sep 11, 2009
Dantecmu:

Topup

i would advice you remain where u are my reasons are this lagos dont need pple like you and i can asure you that whatever you fink you wanna come contribute we gat young vibrant youths already working on it i also wanna let you know that some of us have bein to where your writin from and have voluntrily came back to our own country without much noise makin. also it would be intresting for you to note that your presence or absence wont be noticed we are havin fun 2day is a friday n bet you suya spot would be feild with diffrent personalities from all part of the world and so i would advice that you and all your crew shut your mouth n stop sayin things you dont know anyfing about when we all get to heaven where they ar no crimes n sins then we can talk about PERFECT i only stand to be corrected if your writin from heaven.Bs
ciao
What load of rubbish are u going on about? She only asked a harmless question and u are busy typing expired english here. What is wrong with u? What is wrong with her question? Grow up
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by Nobody: 8:26pm On Sep 11, 2009
Thor:

WHAT?

You are yapping shit.

Some of the above words you stated is FALSE!
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by Dantecmu(m): 11:15pm On Sep 11, 2009
justwise:

What load of rubbish are u going on about? She only asked a harmless question and u are busy typing expired english here. What is wrong with u? What is wrong with her question? Grow up

ur only writing from the u.k and your actin like you have gotten to your promiseland maybe dats your promise land bur some of us still blive in lagos.

me dante type expired english please wats ur status in the uk are you a student maybe doing your masters. Ya all shud remain where you are ok we are on course in lagos. bssy
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by Hesperus(m): 11:33pm On Sep 11, 2009
Dantecmu:

your only writing from the u.k and your actin like you have gotten to your promiseland maybe dats your promise land bur some of us still blive in lagos.

me dante type expired english please wats your status in the uk are you a student maybe doing your masters. Ya all shud remain where you are ok we are on course in lagos. bssy

Na wa for you, Dantecmu. The girl only asked an innocent question and here you are firing her for no reason. Instead of you to just tell her the positive things about Gidi, you're chastsing her. It's not her fault for asking, afterall, we know all the untruths people outside naija hear.

@ topup, dont believe all you hear about Lagos or Naija, its all propaganda by developed nations. Lagos is fun, with the right crowd you will have a blast. Mind you it has its downsides - power failures, bad roads, etc. And of course, crime. But let's face it, which country hasnt? Just be careful with your movements and you will be fine.
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by justwise(m): 12:22am On Sep 12, 2009
Dantecmu:

your(you are) only writing from the u.k(UK) and your actin like you have gotten to your promiseland maybe dats your promise land bur (but)some of us still blive(believe) in lagos.

me dante(don't) type expired english please wats your status in the uk(?) are you a student maybe doing your masters(?). Ya all shud remain where you are ok we are on course in lagos. bssy

Deportees like u are always quick to bring up Nigeria vs Diaspora thing. Tell us those good things about lagos and stop insulting us here
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by Dantecmu(m): 11:03am On Sep 12, 2009
justwise:

Deportees like u are always quick to bring up Nigeria vs Diaspora thing. Tell us those good things about Lagos and stop insulting us here

lmao lol , what other expression can i use in expressing your stupidity you actually hold your current asylum position in high esteem lol lol lol . OGA some of us go and come back as we should bur still our end point is GIDI. Ya all should stay back if you want to and if you wanna come back come back and stop making unnecessary noise. Gidi is like any other country in the world you cant eat your cake and have it. read inbtw the lines and make up your mind NAIJA i hail Naija i stand i have seen the GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY and came to the summary that ain't no where like home.

Hesperus:

Na wa for you, Dantecmu. The girl only asked an innocent question and here you are firing her for no reason. Instead of you to just tell her the positive things about Gidi, you're chastsing her. It's not her fault for asking, afterall, we know all the untruths people outside naija hear.

@ topup, dont believe all you hear about Lagos or Naija, its all propaganda by developed nations. Lagos is fun, with the right crowd you will have a blast. Mind you it has its downsides - power failures, bad roads, etc. And of course, crime. But let's face it, which country hasnt? Just be careful with your movements and you will be fine.

lets stop all this bullshit talk we always wanna make shit outa nofin. at least she has been holidaying in NCAA i work in Thar telecoms and bet you i have seen Expatriates who leave there country to naija for the first time and never wanna go back in fact the love GIDI so i am wondering why a Nigerian who has lived outside Africa for about 5 yrs should asking such crappy questions please if u wanna come u come if u ain't coming stay back worst still we replace you guys with EXPATRIATES.
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by landis(m): 4:55pm On Sep 12, 2009

Lagos in short should be avoided at all cost as it is a dirty filthy crime ridden cesspit

Absolute CRAP!
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by toytola(m): 5:31am On Sep 13, 2009
Thor:

Come on Thor, are you kidding me? Yeah!! Lagos isnt the best of places but i wouldnt be pointing fingers if i were you, i'll just pretend that its your ignorance getting the best of you and lets say perhaps you've had a bad experience it doent mean you should ruin the fun for another person with your stats.

@ Topup - Learn how to be streetsmart wink
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by DisGuy: 9:23am On Sep 13, 2009
Dantecmu:

lmao lol , what other expression can i use in expressing your stupidity you actually hold your current asylum position in high esteem lol lol lol . OGA some of us go and come back as we should bur still our end point is GIDI. Ya all should stay back if you want to and if you wanna come back come back and stop making unnecessary noise. Gidi is like any other country in the world you cant eat your cake and have it. read inbtw the lines and make up your mind NAIJA i hail Naija i stand i have seen the GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY and came to the summary that ain't no where like home.

lets stop all this bullshit talk we always wanna make shit outa nofin. at least she has been holidaying in NCAA i work in Thar telecoms and bet you i have seen Expatriates who leave there country to naija for the first time and never wanna go back in fact the love GIDI so i am wondering why a Nigerian who has lived outside Africa for about 5 yrs should asking such crappy questions please if u wanna come u come if u ain't coming stay back worst still we replace you guys with EXPATRIATES.

SHUT UP and read properly, if you have beef with people before dont take it out on everyone, SHE IS 20 years old, never lived in Lagos before and not been in nigeria fpr a while no matter how sweet and dandy lagos is-for those that have a job or business, people will always be apprehensive moving from one society to another - not to live with family but to work!! it's a different ball game altogether and using examples of expatriate dont cut it, they are paid 10x more on average, they get accommodation in the best place and security is there 24/7 for them
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by Dantecmu(m): 12:32pm On Sep 13, 2009
Dis Guy:

SHUT UP and read properly, if you have beef with people before dont take it out on everyone, SHE IS 20 years old, never lived in Lagos before and not been in nigeria fpr a while no matter how sweet and dandy lagos is-for those that have a job or business, people will always be apprehensive moving from one society to another - not to live with family but to work!! it's a different ball game altogether and using examples of expatriate dont cut it, they are paid 10x more on average, they get accommodation in the best place and security is there 24/7 for them

I have shut up and have read still your write up makes no sence. bur my mouth is still closed and am still reading maybe its one of those vision 2010 that never makes any sence would never make sence. weather she is 20 or 18 thats not an issue i think ya all wanna turn this thread to how bad and dirty lagos is. after all her employers are leavin in lagos and are employin pple from where she is.
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by GettysBurg: 11:29am On Sep 14, 2009
Thor:

Seriously and sincerely, Lagos is this bad. Especially if you are a foreigner or look like one.
For all those screaming its false, honestly, can a foreigner take public tranport in Lagos and not experience most of what Thor has stated?
Lagos is one heck of a danger zone!
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by topup: 3:33am On Nov 23, 2009
Many apologies to everyone who was willing to help. I emailed over 30 friends and family members with the same questions, I've found a lot of the information here useful, and please. . I am not a foreigner, it's a shame if a Nigerian can't come back home even for a short while.

I will ignore those who feel threatened by this topic for whatever reason and would like to say thanks to people who helped, or tried.

Sorry Spike I can't give details because I have none, I was basically conducting a little research, when applying for these things, you need to have figured everything out before you start, so I haven't secured anything yet but I have the means to do so.

Thanks all.
Peace.

(Will be back).
Re: Living In Nigeria For A Year. by AjanleKoko: 7:12am On Nov 23, 2009
Utter crap, people just selling this poster a dummy.

Lagos is nowhere as dangerous as either Joburg (which in my opinion is really dangerous) or New York. Lagos is alright, though there are a few hiccups, like traffic (which is relati ve depending on where you live or work), power (which is really bad), but overall, it's not such a bad place, and it has improved a lot.
I don't think you need to stay in a hotel. There are actually short lets on offer in Lagos. Speak to your contacts, I mean the people who you are going to be working with.
All told, you'll definitely have fun.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Arik Air Introduces N15, 000 Promo Fare On All Domestic Routes / Can Anyone Confirm These Transport Fares? / Uk visa delayed response:What do i do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.