Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,091 members, 7,953,327 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:17 PM

MTN Launches "Themarketplace", An Ecommerce Platform. What Are They Up To? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / MTN Launches "Themarketplace", An Ecommerce Platform. What Are They Up To? (829 Views)

Mtn Launches N2000 For 7gb Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

MTN Launches "Themarketplace", An Ecommerce Platform. What Are They Up To? by klinro(m): 5:37pm On Apr 15, 2016
Local banks are trying to compete with businesses they’re supposed to be financing. And now MTN’s eCommerce platform (themarketplace.ng) joins the bandwagon of established industry players set to hustle it out with smaller businesses.

I find it head-scratching that MTN, which has invested significantly in eCommerce giant Jumia, courtesy of its alignment with the Africa Internet Group, would be venturing into eCommerce on its own.

While I state my opinions clearly, I wouldn’t undermine the potential MTN’s Marketplace brings to the eCommerce turf. The company’s huge war chest would be handy in supporting budding eCommerce entrepreneurs, as opposed to positioning it as a competitor just in same way I feel about Nigerian banks.

Unless eCommerce has suddenly become the new and much coveted Oil and Gas, all thanks to the current fuel crisis rocking the country, MTN’s move couldn’t be less hazardous to the eCommerce space. Regardless, a further investment in young eCommerce platforms wouldn’t be an herculean task to ask of this company, as it could prove instrumental in spreading adoption.

The eCommerce space is big enough to accommodate many but then what do you think of MTN’s move? Is MTN set to compete with Jumia? And if so, does it in anyway suggest an impending break in relationship with AIG?

Share your thoughts on this

Re: MTN Launches "Themarketplace", An Ecommerce Platform. What Are They Up To? by stalyf(m): 7:05pm On Apr 15, 2016
The economy is hard. They are diversifying

1 Like

Re: MTN Launches "Themarketplace", An Ecommerce Platform. What Are They Up To? by klinro(m): 6:37am On Apr 16, 2016
stalyf:
The economy is hard. They are diversifying

You have a point there

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Apple Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s HopStop.com For $1 Billion / New Facebook Page Template For Non-profit Coming June 20. / Palnum App – Phone Numbers Of New Friends Near Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.