Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,238 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:34 AM

12 Signs Of Self-righteousness And Pharisee-ism Among Christians Today - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 12 Signs Of Self-righteousness And Pharisee-ism Among Christians Today (15254 Views)

Holineness And Righteousness Revival Messages And Bible Verses / Putting God First: Modern-Day Idolatry Among Christians Today / 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 Signs Of Self-righteousness And Pharisee-ism Among Christians Today by Alani86: 12:28am On Apr 18, 2016
safarigirl:
another ignorant fellow.

If you know you can't address people without coming off as a street thug, then keep your ignorant opinion to yourself.

Not one disciple ever addressed people with 'shut up', yet your ilk are the ones promoting 'christianity' in it's 'true form'...by being rude? Mtcheeewwww, pharisee

If cautioning someone who's misinformed by saying "shut up" makes me a "street thug". Then, I'm confident that you are one too. Because, out of annoyance I'm very sure you would have altered that same word several times. I wanted to extend it beyond you, but I felt I don't have to go too far.
Re: 12 Signs Of Self-righteousness And Pharisee-ism Among Christians Today by anthoniaz(f): 11:09pm On Apr 18, 2016
Alani86:

See, we should stop deceiving ourselves, rather keep on calling a spade a spade. This isn't about religion, but what's right and reasonable. Starting with the two ladies you cited, they just didn't understand that christianity is a personal race/conviction/dealing with God. Our pastor (Founder) said he was using necklace while he was growing up as a christian. But, he got convinced along the line and stopped. There are some habits/traits that as you dig deep in the word, get closer to the spirit (personally) you'll do away with. This can't be forced/rubbed on people. No, it can't! I always believe; God that took it away from me will also deal with him/her when the time is right. But, there are some basic principles and rules that applies to everybody in general; we aren't permitted to bring worldly things (songs, dances, dress, slang, etc) into the presence of God. That's the point!

You are right.
Re: 12 Signs Of Self-righteousness And Pharisee-ism Among Christians Today by Kobojunkie: 4:56am On May 13, 2021
iliyande:
Pharisees wink were devout Jews, but were known to be the people that often fell on the side of Jesus' strong rebuke. It wasn't that He didn't love them because God loves everyone, but He admonished their self-righteous attitudes and perceived self-worth.

While most of us may not believe that we're at the level of being self-righteous, we should always be careful and look deeply into ourselves regularly to check for signs that we are becoming arrogant and judging others rather than ourselves.

It may be important to note that the pharisees also didn't believe they were acting in a self-righteous way either. They didn't wake up and think, "Oh, I think I'll be a moralistic and self-righteous believer today." Moralistic tendencies are actually in all of us to some extent because it is our default to think in a moral framework. While this is not all that bad, it's not all that harmless either.

Here are 12 different signs that we can use to check ourselves to make sure we are not falling into "pharisee-ism" and becoming self-rightous and judgmental.

1. We are quick to ignore our own mistakes, and even quicker to spot the mistakes of others.

2. We focus on our skills and strengths and ignore our weaknesses. That's not to say that we should ignore our strengths and emphasize our weaknesses, but we must be aware of both and accept them as always present.

3. We act differently when in front of people than when we are all alone by ourselves.

4. We value tradition more than people.

5. We value results over relationships. Results are good, but they are best acquired when done together.

6. We insist that people follow our way of doing things -- the way we raise our kids, the way we teach, the way we lead or even the way we worship.

7. We become attracted to the spotlight and find every opportunity to be placed in it.

8. We're always looking for the perks and never sacrificing benefits for the sake of others.

9. We take honor more than we give it.

10. We value convenience over serving others, and often find it hard to go out of our way for those who are of an apparent lower stature than ourselves.

11. We preach advice over the good news.

12. We do things to obtain the praise of man, rather than the praise of God.
And you don't see that many of your Mogs fit this description to a T? undecided

1 Like

Re: 12 Signs Of Self-righteousness And Pharisee-ism Among Christians Today by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:07am On May 13, 2021
The main issue is rebellious attitude!

CHRIST: perfect human that God anointed to counsel imperfect humans and lead them to God.
CHRISTIAN: sinner (imperfect human) who admit his flaws and willing to get help through the perfect counselor (CHRIST).

Now while CHRIST needs not look for any organized form of worship because he was sent to come and establish pure worship, the CHRISTIAN should seek for an organized people practicing pure worship as laid down by the CHRIST after all he admits he is a sinner (imperfect human) and agreed that the perfect counselor CHRIST has come to established pure worship. So a Christian should know that Satan is real because Jesus (Christ) said a lot about the devil as one who is confusing God's people in ancient times. Therefore a Christian should know that there will be false worship brandished as Christianity just as it happened back in the first century when Satan polluted the worship of the Jews, and at the same time there must be a well organized group belonging to the CHRIST since the CHRIST is a perfect counselor who has been endowed with the power to ORGANIZE imperfect humans and make the group reflect Godly qualities like LOVE, JOY, PEACE, PATIENCE, GOODNESS, GENTLENESS, FAITH, MILDNESS and SELF-CONTROL! Galatians 5:23-23

Whoever feels like he/she could decipher pure worship without seeking the group ORGANIZED by CHRIST the PERFECT COUNSELOR surely is practicing self righteousness. Remember that's what makes the difference between the first century Jews that humbly accepted the CHRIST and the Pharisees that believed in what each of them knew! smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

If God Gave You Same Blank Cheque As King Solomon, What Would You Fill? / How Can I Know When God Has Left Me? / The 6 Bishops Who Left Winners Chapel and their new Ministries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.