Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,493 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:00 AM

Nigeria, China Currency Swap Won’t Fix FX Demand Backlog-Businessday - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria, China Currency Swap Won’t Fix FX Demand Backlog-Businessday (14271 Views)

41 Items Still Banned Under Nigeria-china Currency Swap Deal / Nigeria – China Currency Deal – The Biggest Winners And Losers / Nigeria, China Currency Swap Forces USD Rate Down: Bureau De Change Association (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria, China Currency Swap Won’t Fix FX Demand Backlog-Businessday by Nobody: 8:36am On Apr 20, 2016
Seun:
"Lend us a lot of dollars", said Nigeria, "so we can squander it on wasteful subsidies"
"Sure, but first you must sign this agreement to hold our currency", said China.
"No problem", said Nigeria. "We'll say it's part of our brilliant Economic plan"

Seun made a lot of sense but most dumb Nigerians like hungryboy aren't intelligent enough to understand.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria, China Currency Swap Won’t Fix FX Demand Backlog-Businessday by 9jatatafo(m): 8:40am On Apr 20, 2016
Ucheosefoh:
I stopped reading half way but my question is, does it mean that the online mini importers will now import with yuan instead of dollar from sites like Alibaba and co. I need answer

Dollars is world currency
Re: Nigeria, China Currency Swap Won’t Fix FX Demand Backlog-Businessday by zheroes(m): 8:43am On Apr 20, 2016
Everyone turning economists!!!! There is nothing you will do that people will not complain. The issues on ground as far as I can see is very enormous, it can't be solved in 3- 4years so what the government is trying to do is simple: while economic diversification and increased exports remain the permanent solution, all of that won't happen overnight. So the best thing to do in the interim is look for measures to ease pressure on the foreign exchange asleast in the interim(currency swap) while we hope that oil prices appreciates and then diversify to other areas.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria, China Currency Swap Won’t Fix FX Demand Backlog-Businessday by murmee: 8:53am On Apr 20, 2016
Saintp:

Are you sure you are not making assumptions here? Why are you so sure the Chinese will build factories here when it will be cheaper to produce in thier country and create jobs for her citizens?
I want to believe that the Nigerian Government would have made the building of factories part of the agreements. What remains is to ensure that the agreements are implemented!
Re: Nigeria, China Currency Swap Won’t Fix FX Demand Backlog-Businessday by 989900: 8:55am On Apr 20, 2016
Saintp:

Are you sure you are not making assumptions here? Why are you so sure the Chinese will build factories here when it will be cheaper to produce in thier country and create jobs for her citizens?

Read my posts again about the same reason Iphones are made in China, and Samsung phones are made in China and now Vietnam.

BTW, there are already some Chinese factories here, in Ethiopia, Kenya, and other parts of Africa.
Re: Nigeria, China Currency Swap Won’t Fix FX Demand Backlog-Businessday by drss(m): 8:56am On Apr 20, 2016
Seun:
"Lend us a lot of dollars", said Nigeria, "so we can squander it on wasteful subsidies"
"Sure, but first you must sign this agreement to hold our currency", said China.
"No problem", said Nigeria. "We'll say it's part of our brilliant Economic plan"
i am accutely broke sir, any goodies for d boys
Re: Nigeria, China Currency Swap Won’t Fix FX Demand Backlog-Businessday by Nobody: 8:57am On Apr 20, 2016
zheroes:
Everyone turning economists!!!! There is nothing you will do that people will not complain. The issues on ground as far as I can see is very enormous, it can't be solved in 3- 4years so what the government is trying to do is simple: while economic diversification and increased exports remain the permanent solution, all of that won't happen overnight. So the best thing to do in the interim is look for measures to ease pressure on the foreign exchange asleast in the interim(currency swap) while we hope that oil prices appreciates and then diversify to other areas.

Sounds funny though:

1* What is the government doing to enhance local capacity building?

2* What is this government doing to revamp agricultural production?

3* China / Nigeria currency swap: who benefits more Nigeria or China?

4* How can MSMEs be empowered to create jobs?

5* Must we be import dependent without a road map to reduce import dependency.?

6* And many facts begging for answers.

The moment government thinks production rather than senseless consumption subsidy, the faster our economic recovery.
Any fire brigade approach towards tackling our poverty mentality of leadership that has brought us to our knees in the midst of economic abundance would still lead us to the same point where we are now.

Our leaders should always think the future rather than immediate economic pain reliever approach.

China is in business and would count their gains before entering any deal.

Is Nigeria thinking future.?

Only time will tell.
Re: Nigeria, China Currency Swap Won’t Fix FX Demand Backlog-Businessday by myhotbrain: 9:08am On Apr 20, 2016
989900:
We had this discussion earlier, and I posted the below some days back:

OTOH, the whole China deal (total package) with the little we know from it so far will do the below (I posted this on another link earlier):

Then you need to factor-in the Chinese inputs in power plants, railways, refineries, roads, and other infrastructure that will generally overhaul and re-ginger our economy as a whole -- tilt us on the path to a trillion dollar economy!

Thank you for your brief announcements.

PLEASE ADD THE BELOW:

The take-aways from the China Forex swap deals are:

1) Allows for fixed exchange rates between the two countries, this will prevent forex demand/supply fluctuation.

2) Nigeria will benefit from foreign direct investment from Chinese Investors and contractors who are already in Nigeria and those who are eager to bring to Nigeria, critically needed, technology transfer and development in the areas of a) refining of crude oil (building 3 refineries in Bayelsa, Kogi and Lagos States), refining and mining of other mineral resources that are abound in Nigeria. These two items alone will help us reduce our dependence on importing of refined petroleum products--petrol, kerosene and diesel thereby allowing us to save our Dollars earning from sale of crude oil.

PLEASE DO NOT FORGET THAT THE BIGGEST LENDER IN THE WORLD (CHINA INDUSTRIAL AND COMMERCE BANK) IS THE ONE FINANCING THE DEALS AT A LESSER INTEREST RATES. THIS IS A WIN-WIN SITUATION FOR NIGERIA BECAUSE, FOR A STARTER, NIGERIA CANNOT AFFORD THE $21B PRICE TAGS TO BUILD THE REFINERIES ( OUR YEARLY BUDGET IS A PALTRY SUM OF $25B). NOT TO TALK OF THE MASSIVE CONSTRUCTION OF ROADS INFRASTRUCTURE WHICH SOME OTHER CONTRIBUTORS ALREADY ALLUDED TO.

4) JUST BECAUSE WE HAVE A FOREX SWAP WITH CHINA DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE CBN WILL STILL ALLOW THE IMPORTATION OF ALREADY BANNED ITEMS FROM CHINA--THAT IS, DON'T EXPECT FOREX FOR THE IMPORTATION OF TOOTHPICKS.

5) MOST MAJOR IMPORTERS WILL STILL NEED TO OPEN LETTER OF CREDIT WITH THEIR CHINESE TRADING PARTNERS THEREBY DISCOURAGING THOSE IDIOTIC CURRENCY MANIPULATORS--ROUND TRIPPERS.

PLEASE LEARNED BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN ECONOMICS, ADD YOUR OWN TAKE TO THE ONES ENUMERATED ABOVE.
LET US ENDEAVOR TO EDUCATE OUR UNINFORMED MASSES AS TO THE BENEFITS OF THE RECENTLY CONCLUDED FOREX SWAP DEALS BETWEEN NIGERIA AND CHINA. BTW--THE JONATHAN ADMINISTRATION INITIATED THIS FOREX DEALS 5YRS AGO BUT UNABLE TO SEE IT THROUGH.

#NIGERIAGOTITRIGHTWITHCHINAFOREXSWAP

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria, China Currency Swap Won’t Fix FX Demand Backlog-Businessday by Saintp(m): 9:09am On Apr 20, 2016
murmee:
I want to believe that the Nigerian Government would have made the building of factories part of the agreements. What remains is to ensure that the agreements are implemented!

I hope so. However i know how our government behaves. Do not be surprised they were just in a hurry to sign deals with the Chinese without due diligence in order to be seen as working. It will be good if the details of the deal is made public. Citizens need to know instead of speculation. I rather be cautious than swallow everything that is speculated
Re: Nigeria, China Currency Swap Won’t Fix FX Demand Backlog-Businessday by prinsam30: 9:17am On Apr 20, 2016
one way or the other Nigeria will be great again by God's grace

1 Like

Re: Nigeria, China Currency Swap Won’t Fix FX Demand Backlog-Businessday by Built2last: 9:21am On Apr 20, 2016
Seun:

Boss you are not an economist but you have economic sense. We have 4 other currencies weakening our currency because of international trade inbalance but those who lack elementary economic sense rejoice that we signed with China.

However, I commend the fact that you speak up in this trying times.people are terribly hungry and suffering. The last thing we need now is clap for our government when they go astray. That's why I love Falana. He understands Nigeria is bigger than an individual. If Naija works, it's for our collective good

1 Like

Re: Nigeria, China Currency Swap Won’t Fix FX Demand Backlog-Businessday by igboboy3(m): 10:01am On Apr 20, 2016
989900:

LoL . . . you just don't get it, do you?

What doesn't he get? As long as there is upward pressure on the dollar, what he is saying could work.
Re: Nigeria, China Currency Swap Won’t Fix FX Demand Backlog-Businessday by igboboy3(m): 10:02am On Apr 20, 2016
Flets:
The China deal will even widen the parallel market gap.

So I can buy 500K yuan through CBN for 15Milliona naira at 30 naira per yuan, then I convert my 500K Yuan to 77,360 dollars in Chinese FX market. Then I return to Nigeria to sell my 77,360 dollars at 315 naira per dollar and that gives me 24.4Million Naira.

Guess what, I just made 9.4Million naira profit on my 15million naira just from round tripping. The Yuan arrangement is crap for the economy but good for smart businessmen

Suprisingly, I agree.
Re: Nigeria, China Currency Swap Won’t Fix FX Demand Backlog-Businessday by Nobody: 12:06pm On Apr 20, 2016
Seun:

Please say something else. In case you have nothing positive to say, keep mute. Must you comment?
Re: Nigeria, China Currency Swap Won’t Fix FX Demand Backlog-Businessday by judondasylva(m): 12:39pm On Apr 20, 2016
thank God there are still few reasonable people in this country.
Re: Nigeria, China Currency Swap Won’t Fix FX Demand Backlog-Businessday by spymaster(m): 1:00pm On Apr 20, 2016
Dudeweedlmao:

How i wish the saudis and the iranians will just stop fighting and lock that tap for oil price to go up a little
And then will have enough reserve for currency swap

Buhari still has alot of travelling to do.

How I wish the Saudis can fire a short range missile at Tehran and the Iranians respond with a Farh Missile at Medina. Then the GCC attack Iran and Iraq fire scud missiles at Doha, Dubai and Al Kuwati. And watch how oil prices will shoot up to $200 and we can have enough reserve for currency swap
Re: Nigeria, China Currency Swap Won’t Fix FX Demand Backlog-Businessday by Nobody: 1:16pm On Apr 20, 2016
Reference:

And when eventually you drop the Yuan won't the Chinese 'go after you'.

Why not develop your own country so that it is us doing the bullying rather than jumping from bed to bed and it starts by being responsible both in words and deeds. This seeking of the easy way out, 'swapping' instead of working is not helping. Whether Yuan or Dollar, if you are not exporting you are done. I even prefer the dollar because there are many things the West at large won't sell to us, whereas China is the source of the toothpicks, rubber slippers and knockdown biscuits. Making trade easier with China is another nail in our coffin. We hate the truth that's why we hate the IMF, but let me see how we will take loans from China and shut their cheap knock-offs from flooding our markets. Our industries cannot price compete with the west, is it the Chinese industrial King Kongs we will overcome?

Can you expanxiate on the bolded, i hear it all the time but i dont think people reallize just how heavy tthat phrase is
Re: Nigeria, China Currency Swap Won’t Fix FX Demand Backlog-Businessday by ideylaff: 2:31pm On Apr 21, 2016
Seun:

So glaring but a lot of people are thinking the reverse way, all they see is Alibaba and the cheap imports they could do with the Chineses currency.

My people perish for lack of knowledge. So sad

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dangote Refinery: Diesel, Jeta1 Hit Market January, Petrol Delayed / All You Need To Know About Economy Designer 3.0 ED Plan By AIM Global Nigeria / Kiva: A Place To Borrow Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.