Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,596 members, 7,823,584 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:00 PM

Should Prostitution Be Legalized In Nigeria? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Should Prostitution Be Legalized In Nigeria? (1030 Views)

Defining Cult Prostitution (sodomites) Where Homosexuality Originates / Addis Abeba, Ethiopia - The Prostitution Capital Of Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Prostitution Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Apr 22, 2016
This Post was originally published in my Blog Here >>> http://gabrielobinna.com/prostitution-in-nigeria/ I decided to post it here for it to be discussed extensively.

Sex is something everybody does, and something virtually everybody enjoys when it is consensual. If i then decide to collect money before engaging in it, should i be thrown into jail? Prostitution in Nigeria is becoming ‘the IN thing’ among young people but why stigmatize and criminalize it especially when you consider that the “crime” is, in fact, victim less.

“Why is it illegal to charge for what can be freely dispensed? Sex work is no more moral or immoral than the chocolate or distilling industries” – Catherine La Croix

Consider a wife/girlfriend who manipulates her husband/boyfriend into doing her will by offering him mind-blowing sex (an act which might even lead to him offering her MONEY afterwards). Or the wife/girlfriend who deems a steamy session under the sheets as the best way to show appreciation for her partner’s recent good deeds. can such scenarios be considered prostitution?
Prostitution in Nigeria

Legalizing prostitution is not a plea to encourage it out rightly but a case of creating a taxable, regulative profession and removing the stigmatization in it. I understand all the psychological and emotional baggage that accompany prostitution as a profession but so do we have many baggage’s and side effects prevalent in other profession.

If I wish to start charging women before having sex with them, tell me why that should be illegal. it is MY body, and MY choice, and my clients CONSENT to it. There might be a million other guys out there who would deem it undesirable but that’s what makes us different, isn’t it? Prostitution is a topic not discussed publicly because am surrounded by religious hypocrites.

There has ALWAYS been a demand for prostitution in Nigeria, and there will always be-no matter what- and nobody gets hurt in the process, why not instead find a way to regulate it, since eradicating it is virtually impossible.

Legalizing prostitution in Nigeria will create favourbale welfare, security and insurance. Many prostitutes face stigmatization, assault, maltreatment everyday. Legalizing it will give them legal back-up and prestige. the fact is that you cant wipe away or pray away prostitution in Nigeria. It is a profession that people from all class in Nigeria patronize ranging from politicians, pastors, imams, middle class and low class.

Why penalize something you cant do without?

Re: Should Prostitution Be Legalized In Nigeria? by gud4dbest(m): 12:54pm On Apr 22, 2016
It shud remain what it is:not banned,not legalised!
Re: Should Prostitution Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Apr 22, 2016
gud4dbest:
It shud remain what it is:not banned,not legalised!
Dont you think legalizing it will help regulate it?
Also it is not LEGAL in Nigeria.
Prostitutes are still been harassed daily and that shouldn't happen. Why jail them for something not bad they are doing.
Re: Should Prostitution Be Legalized In Nigeria? by gud4dbest(m): 1:15pm On Apr 22, 2016
GabrielObinna4:

Dont you think legalizing it will help regulate it?
Also it is not LEGAL in Nigeria.
Prostitutes are still been harassed daily and that shouldn't happen. Why jail them for something not bad they are doing.
the harrassment happens at both ends.It happens in Nigeria often that a prostitute will drag her client to court or file a report with the police on the account of payment trouble and she will b justified...any prostitute dat is been harrassed,I consider her to be unlucky or the deal go wrong at her end.We all know it is a highly risky thing and besides in d country Nigeria the culture frown at it.So,if a lady chose the part she should b ready to face it squarely.
Re: Should Prostitution Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Apr 22, 2016
gud4dbest:
the harrassment happens at both end.It happens in Nigeria often that a prostitute will drag her client to court or file a report with the police on the account of payment trouble and she will b justified...any prostitute dat is been harrassed,I consider her to be unlucky or the deal go wrong at her end.We all know it is a highly risky thing and besides in d country Nigeria the culture frown at it.So,if a lady chose the part she should b ready to face it squarely.

The harassment I mean here is the one coming from police.
Re: Should Prostitution Be Legalized In Nigeria? by gud4dbest(m): 1:32pm On Apr 22, 2016
GabrielObinna4:

The harassment I mean here is the one coming from police.
neva forget nigerian police harrass for fun and to make some gain often and they get away with it;if the victim in question does not know his right/know but does not know how to effect it/is a fidgeting type/a prey...it cut across the middle class,average class,low class people...the problem is the constitution that is bound to give preference and the limited fund on the account of d human right activists.

1 Like

Re: Should Prostitution Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Cutehector(m): 1:46pm On Apr 22, 2016
Yes it should be legalized...

2 Likes

Re: Should Prostitution Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Apr 22, 2016
Cutehector:
Yes it should be legalized...
Do you have any particular reasons in mind?
Re: Should Prostitution Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Cutehector(m): 2:05pm On Apr 22, 2016
GabrielObinna4:

Do you have any particular reasons in mind?
well for one, if corruption is legal in nigeria, den prostitution should do so.... It creates an avenue for recognition... Al brothels should be registered so if anyone that is operating under false pretenses, should be fined a huge amount of money... It serves as an incentive for raising money for the state... They will pay taxes too... It will also reduce the level of human trafficking.. By being registered, a certain law is made dat only girls from 21 and above should b legal to engage in prostitution. Any prson found being younger than that shall be arrested and jailed in the corrections facility.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Meet The Unsung Heroes, Scientist And Scholars Of African Origin / Why Do Femi Fani Kayode Daughters Still Use Hes Last Name ? / See The Tribe Where Women Beg Men To Beat Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.