Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,639 members, 7,820,240 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:01 PM

Slightly Stiff Gear - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Slightly Stiff Gear (1119 Views)

Stiff Throttle Pedal Rx 330 / Accord 2007 V6, Stiff Steering. / Help Ooo Gear Stiff And D4 Blinks Accord 04 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Slightly Stiff Gear by morningsta(m): 9:20am On Apr 26, 2016
Hello Nairalanders,

I noticed recently that my gear stick has become slightly stiff and not as smooth as it use to be when changing gears. The car is a Nissan X-Trail, 2008 Model and automatic gear. What can be the issue and how can I fix it pls? my mechanic does not seem to understand it.

thanks in advance for your valued and experienced suggestions.
Re: Slightly Stiff Gear by Nobody: 9:46am On Apr 26, 2016
morningsta:

Hello Nairalanders,
I noticed recently that my gear stick has become slightly stiff and not as smooth as it use to be when changing gears. The gear is automatic. what can be the issue and how can I fix it pls? my mechanic does not seem to understand it.

Does your vehicle have a brand name and model? A model year would help too.
Re: Slightly Stiff Gear by morningsta(m): 10:09am On Apr 26, 2016
Siena:

Does your vehicle have a brand name and model? A model year would help too.

Nissan X-Trail, 2008 Model. many thanks
Re: Slightly Stiff Gear by Nobody: 12:04pm On Apr 26, 2016
I presume you mean moving the shift lever between the gears is stiffer than it used to be, but the actual automatic gear changes are normal?
Re: Slightly Stiff Gear by boldx(m): 12:53pm On Apr 26, 2016
Siena:
I presume you mean moving the shift lever between the gears is stiffer than it used to be, but the actual automatic gear changes are normal?
Hello Mr. Sienna, please i have been trying to get your attention. Please can it use a single tipped platinum spark plug for a 2000 Toyota Sienna. 3.0Litre, V6 engine. The manual states PK20TR11, double platinum spark plugs. They are not available and i stay in Abuja. I use copper double tipped denso plugs. That's what is available here.
Re: Slightly Stiff Gear by mayor2013: 6:58pm On Apr 26, 2016
boldx:

Hello Mr. Sienna, please i have been trying to get your attention. Please can it use a single tipped platinum spark plug for a 2000 Toyota Sienna. 3.0Litre, V6 engine. The manual states PK20TR11, double platinum spark plugs. They are not available and i stay in Abuja. I use copper double tipped denso plugs. That's what is available here.

If you use a single tipped platinum. Your car would misfire. Owners manual states other wise so follow what it says. Call 08156087872 or 08165520837 if you need PK20TR11
Re: Slightly Stiff Gear by mayor2013: 6:59pm On Apr 26, 2016
morningsta:
Hello Nairalanders,

I noticed recently that my gear stick has become slightly stiff and not as smooth as it use to be when changing gears. The car is a Nissan X-Trail, 2008 Model and automatic gear. What can be the issue and how can I fix it pls? my mechanic does not seem to understand it.

@ op do you hear a sound when you move the gear lever all through the gears?
Re: Slightly Stiff Gear by morningsta(m): 11:17pm On Apr 26, 2016
mayor2013:

@ op do you hear a sound when you move the gear lever all through the gears?

No sound. Nothing abnormal except that it is a bit stiff unlike before.
Re: Slightly Stiff Gear by AutoJoshNG: 10:59am On Apr 27, 2016
morningsta:
Hello Nairalanders,

Make sure you always use your parking brake (hand or leg brake). Don't put your gear in park position to hold your car from rolling as this may damage your gear.

Autojoshng

1 Like

Re: Slightly Stiff Gear by DECOtech(m): 10:59pm On Apr 27, 2016
morningsta:
Hello Nairalanders,

First of all, check the cable that goes from the shift lever to the transmission. ask your mech to find a way to lubricate it. if the situation improves, then you shld change that cable.

1 Like

Re: Slightly Stiff Gear by morningsta(m): 7:45am On Apr 28, 2016
DECOtech:

First of all, check the cable that goes from the shift lever to the transmission. ask your mech to find a way to lubricate it. if the situation improves, then you shld change that cable.

That makes sense.

Many thanks smiley
Re: Slightly Stiff Gear by tojahh(m): 10:14am On Apr 29, 2016
Please

I have almost similar case, I have a Toyota Camry 1996 (Orobo) Auto-transmission V6 car, but when the gear is in 'D' and you accelerate, the gear won't change to indicate velocity per acceleration. I mean the gear can shift between "1, P, D, R, N," but when on Drive, as you rev on, you will notice the gear selector on D remains.

That usual sound it used to notice will not be heard or observed..... please am planning on traveling a 6-7 hrs Journey with the car soon. what are the pitfall. its my first car, i don't have much experience.

(1) (Reply)

Floyd Mayweather Jr Shows Off His $4.8m Koenigsegg CCXR Trevita / Unbelievable As Man Drives A BMW Sideways On Only Two Wheels Upto 180kph / Governor Obaseki visits The RoadX Race Track, Evbuobanosa, Edo State!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.