Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,768 members, 7,824,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:41 AM

Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! (30275 Views)

Facebook User Exposes New Format ATM Fraudsters Use To Scam People. / New ATM Scam Alert Fraudsters Use And Can Put You In Serious Trouble / Cook Who Specializes In Forex Scam And Cloning Of ATM Cards Arrested (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by oz4real83(m): 10:42pm On Apr 26, 2016
OP was carried away by the "sir,sir,sir" they were calling him and forgot that they were fraudsters! Sorry for your loss!!!
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by DEBJOCH1(m): 10:44pm On Apr 26, 2016
Is so sad that you people over there in Enugu are still leaving in your 80s. You mean some one can still fall a prey to all these unschooled scammers? A scammer once called to scam me, i played along with him and told him i needed a recharge card so as to facilitate what he wanted me to send to him, to my greatest surprise, he asked for my preferred network i told him, in less that 10 minutes, he forwarded the recharge to me, I toped up my phone, and guess what? That was the end of that scamming sms till date. Mind you, no Nigeria bank will EVER call their customer to ask for their account number or atm pin, if you see any such, the caller must be a scammer. No bank will ever call you to ask for your account details, when ever you get such calls, always make sure you delete them from your mind. More so, be mindful on how you expose your ATM cards at home. I make use of internet banking, mobile money... I don't use ATM Card, I only go to request for ATM card whenever i k ow i have 1 or 2 weeks to embark on a journey, and when ever i come back from the journey, i will go and block it. I can be carefree at time. The highest charge the bank will charge for the card is 1k, i no fit shout, better the 1k charges than living to tell the story that touches.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by jaxxy(m): 10:53pm On Apr 26, 2016
Empredboy:
»»ALERT ALERT ALERT»»
Beware of ATM fraudsters.

I, BenjaminZion is a VICTIM.
Read till the end Ooh:
Since last week Wednesday till yesterday, I frequently receive an SMS from this phone number: 234 803 413 8959. and the message read thus:
"Dear Customer, due to the BVN validation in compliance with CBN directives, your ATM card has been deactivated. Call our helpline on 08034138959 now.
My people, at first, I ignored it severally knowing that if truly its from First Bank, the SMS should've bear FIRST BANK name.
Then on Sunday, someone visited my house, so I decided to go withdraw but the ATM machine displayed that I've exceeded 5times of withdrawal which I haven't.
Now, I believed the SMS I got might be from the Bank Manager of the branch where I opened my account @ Onitsha.
Then today, around 12:17pm, I got same SMS and I decided to call because I'll be attending a seminar tomorrow here in Enugu which I need to withdraw money that will aid my transport and other expenses.
When I called, the number picked up & said "This Is FBN helpline, I'm speaking with Mr Benjamin Zion Arinzechukwu" I replied "Yes". He called out my account number & the last two digits of my ATM card. I was shocked then, I now believed it was from First Bank.
Throughout the dialogue, he was calling me Sir, Sir, Sir. I was convinced coz that's how bankers treat customers.
He asked me to call the 19digit pin on my ATM card, which is the Serial number & I dis exactly.
Within 4mins, I got this five code (28506) which I sent back to them as instructed. They told me to call Back after 40mins.
My people, within 25mins, I got an alert of #10.000, five times, which is 50.000naira.
I called back the number & complained; they say, they'll refund the money within the remaining 15mins. That they're testing the pin.
Then, I began suspecting the whole transaction.
I called a staff @ FBN Onitsha, the branch where I opened the account, her line was switched off.
I suspended the lunch I was preparing, switch off the gas cooker, dressed up like a mad man and made my way out of the house.
I stopped a Keke (tricycle), I even wore my belt and shirt inside the Keke.
When I got to the bank, I went straight to the Bank Manager's office (My new friend), I complained to him. He was mad @ me & blamed me for not calling him to confirm since I have his contact. I also blamed him for not informing me hitherto coz he knows such info & didn't informed me earlier.
He took me to the "Customer Service Unit", I was given a form where I penned down my Acc name & number. They blocked the ATM card & pin immediately.
Still @ the spot, I got a withdrawal alert of #30.000naira, summing it #80,000.
Many people came for same purpose; a lady was lamenting that after giving them her ATM Serial pin, within 30mins, she got an alert that she transferred 200.000 two times i.e 400.000naira. To one Mr Jude Okonta. Then, my anger was lessened, I began to thank God for making me notice on time & acted fastly.
I went outside & test the ATM card and it was blocked truly.
I called back the line, and the man/guy said "Sorry sir, for the inconvenience, we're trying to refund the money but there's poor network. I quickly lay curse upon the man, and gave him 1week to refund my money or he'll meet his waterloo.
How can a student like me lose such amount to nothing good.
Though I'm burning with ANGER & GRUDGES but
I decided to write an article on this, so that none of my friend will fall victim as I did today.
Kindly share this to others.

My names are: Benjamin Zion Arinzechukwu.
{Deo-Gratias}.

Bro sorry for ur loss bt always handle ur bank affairs in d bank. Itself or call a valid helpline on d back of ur ATM card. Anything via txt or email is fraud suspect especially when they are request for u to do smtn from ur Fone.

Wot those guys did Ws to reset ur pin using ur card num and Acc cos dey don't hv ur pin. The 5digit pin Ws a real code from ur bank to do d reset and u gave it to them again so. Simple they got in and can create another pin and do ur transactions. So be careful. I've worked with 2banks so I know this. Cheers!

NB: had to say this cos sm people think it's only wen u give out ur pin. Be careful!
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by 18wheeler: 10:54pm On Apr 26, 2016
DEBJOCH1:
Is so sad that you people over there in Enugu are still leaving in your 80s. You mean some one can still fall a prey to all these unschooled scammers? A scammer once called to scam me, i played along with him and told him i needed a recharge card so as to facilitate what he wanted me to send to him, to my greatest surprise, he asked for my preferred network i told him, in less that 10 minutes, he forwarded the recharge to me, I toped up my phone, and guess what? That was the end of that scamming sms till date. Mind you, no Nigeria bank will EVER call their customer to ask for their account number or atm pin, if you see any such, the caller must be a scammer. No bank will ever call you to ask for your account details, when ever you get such calls, always make sure you delete them from your mind. More so, be mindful on how you expose your ATM cards at home. I make use of internet banking, mobile money... I don't use ATM Card, I only go to request for ATM card whenever i k ow i have 1 or 2 weeks to embark on a journey, and when ever i come back from the journey, i will go and block it. I can be carefree at time. The highest charge the bank will charge for the card is 1k, i no fit shout, better the 1k charges than living to tell the story that touches.
Smart you. Better safe than sorry.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by DavidEsq(m): 10:54pm On Apr 26, 2016
Diidi:
You didn't grow up in Nigeria then. With all these SMS we receive every blue moon from fraudsters yet people fall for them, student for that matter. If someone had told you to give just N10,000 to orphanage homes you wouldn't have done that.

Anyways sorry, this is lesson learnt in very hard way.

Lesson of the day, mingle with people anywhere you are because issues like this is discussed mostly among guys, you learn asap without fallen a victim.
Wallahi, that guy must be a "I don't keep friends" kinda guy. I got several sms like dis and finally called a close-to-yahoo-yahoo guy who confirmed what I already suspected. The strange tin was that I got such SMS each time I got a deposit. I immediately wrote a strong worded petition to the bank and d strangely, d SMS ceased immediately. The rest is for ur imagination.
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by 18wheeler: 10:59pm On Apr 26, 2016
DavidEsq:

Wallahi, that guy must be a "I don't keep friends" kinda guy. I got several sms like dis and finally called a close-to-yahoo-yahoo guy who confirmed what I already suspected. The strange tin was that I got such SMS each time I got a deposit. I immediately wrote a strong worded petition to the bank and d strangely, d SMS ceased immediately. The rest is for ur imagination.
They prey on the victim and work on his or her gullibility. Those who let out info always think they'll get something out of it. Sadly, they never.
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by eldino44(m): 11:01pm On Apr 26, 2016
SweetJoystick:

It's sorry for the loss and not lost, in case not incase....teacher angry

OK grin
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by tola9ja: 11:44pm On Apr 26, 2016
Igbo
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by sylve11: 11:53pm On Apr 26, 2016
i replied a message i got from them with ''your father yansh'', since then, i havent gotten that sms again. cool
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by CallMeOO7(m): 11:59pm On Apr 26, 2016
I always ignored such messages but they keep sending it, so some days back, I replied with "God punish you, go get a Job" . I become a free man afterwards.
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by emyjones: 12:00am On Apr 27, 2016
The OP is not coming out straight with his experience. First and foremost the code you received 5times are OTPs(One Time Password) which enabled the fraudsters carry out the transactions successfully.

This fraudsters send people such kind of SMS that their ATM card would be deactivated and to prevent such call a GSM number which is included on the SMS.

People who fall victim of such smishing scam actually call the number and the person who picks up the call would claim to be from BVN office(which does not exist) and ask for the bank you use as well as PAN details on the card. They also would require you to confirm the Security number at the back of the card and expiration date of the card. They go further to ask for balance on the account. Finally they would request for your PIN.

This is the most baffling part how people divulge such sensitive detail as your card PIN. I mean if someone walks up and ask for your PIN would you give the person or better yet when withdrawing money from the ATM you always tend to block the person behind from viewing when inputting your PIN so why on earth would a stranger on the phone request for your PIN and you give them.

Transaction would not be successful if the above listed details are not provided.

We should be wise and enlighten older folks as they mostly fall to this scam today.
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by ideykwum: 12:04am On Apr 27, 2016
eldino44:
"your name is" NOT "your names are" unless u are possessed. Even if you are possessed " your name is legion".
*back to d matter. sorry 4 d lost in this time of hardship. always be careful incase of next time

It's "loss" not "lost"...Prof!!!

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by Udofire(m): 12:09am On Apr 27, 2016
BEWARE OF SCAMMERS
How they got your bank info?
If the phone number you use for your bank is associated with or posted on any social site you use. You have to be careful. You or someone close to you might do it or might disclose those info intentionally or unintentionally, expecially if you are the type that gives your atm to someone to transact on your behalf. And sometimes its done by an insider.You know what i mean.

The code 28506?
It's an activation code that is processed ready for transfer. After getting your bank info from you, they go through series of processes to get an activation code which is only sent to the phone number that is connected directly or indirectly to your bank account. they cannot receive the code by themselves, they can only get from you cos you have the phone number connected to the bank account. They can't make any transfer without the code.
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by Nobody: 12:10am On Apr 27, 2016

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by bimbush: 12:17am On Apr 27, 2016
That is too bad sorry for that dude.......
Empredboy:
»»ALERT ALERT ALERT»»

Read till the end Ooh:
Since last week Wednesday till yesterday, I frequently receive an SMS from this phone number: 234 803 413 8959. and the message read thus:
"Dear Customer, due to the BVN validation in compliance with CBN directives, your ATM card has been deactivated. Call our helpline on 08034138959 now.
My people, at first, I ignored it severally knowing that if truly its from First Bank, the SMS should've bear FIRST BANK name.
Then on Sunday, someone visited my house, so I decided to go withdraw but the ATM machine displayed that I've exceeded 5times of withdrawal which I haven't.
Now, I believed the SMS I got might be from the Bank Manager of the branch where I opened my account @ Onitsha.
Then today, around 12:17pm, I got same SMS and I decided to call because I'll be attending a seminar tomorrow here in Enugu which I need to withdraw money that will aid my transport and other expenses.
When I called, the number picked up & said "This Is FBN helpline, I'm speaking with Mr Benjamin Zion Arinzechukwu" I replied "Yes". He called out my account number & the last two digits of my ATM card. I was shocked then, I now believed it was from First Bank.
Throughout the dialogue, he was calling me Sir, Sir, Sir. I was convinced coz that's how bankers treat customers.
He asked me to call the 19digit pin on my ATM card, which is the Serial number & I dis exactly.
Within 4mins, I got this five code (28506) which I sent back to them as instructed. They told me to call Back after 40mins.
My people, within 25mins, I got an alert of #10.000, five times, which is 50.000naira.
I called back the number & complained; they say, they'll refund the money within the remaining 15mins. That they're testing the pin.
I called a staff @ FBN Onitsha, the branch where I opened the account, her line was switched off.
I suspended the lunch I was preparing, switch off the gas cooker, dressed up like a mad man and made my way out of the house.
When I got to the bank, I went straight to the Bank Manager's office (My new friend), I complained to him. He was mad @ me & blamed me for not calling him to confirm since I have his contact. I also blamed him for not informing me hitherto coz he knows such info & didn't informed me earlier.
He took me to the "Customer Service Unit", I was given a form where I penned down my Acc name & number. They blocked the ATM card & pin immediately.
Many people came for same purpose; a lady was lamenting that after giving them her ATM Serial pin, within 30mins, she got an alert that she transferred 200.000 two times i.e 400.000naira. To one Mr Jude Okonta. Then, my anger was lessened, I began to thank God for making me notice on time & acted fastly.
I called back the line, and the man/guy said "Sorry sir, for the inconvenience, we're trying to refund the money but there's poor network. I quickly lay curse upon the man, and gave him 1week to refund my money or he'll meet his waterloo.
I decided to write an article on this, so that none of my friend will fall victim as I did today.

{Deo-Gratias}.
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by iyaegin: 12:50am On Apr 27, 2016
Sorry for your loss but you sound enlightened a bit to have fallen for this scam

However if you say more people came to complain about the same issue in the same branch then obviously someone in the branch is working in collusion with the scammers and supplying these details to them otherwise how did they know your name and last two digits of your debit card.
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by DeanSim: 12:52am On Apr 27, 2016
Op: thanks for bringing this to lite. I also got the same text but totally ignored it. I don't save useless text but don't know what prompt me to save this one. Perhaps, it will be helpful in investigation.

Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by Nobody: 1:21am On Apr 27, 2016
Nah your kinsmen run your HK, nah 80k you bleed na you dey shout undecided
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by diva90: 1:31am On Apr 27, 2016
Good to spread the news because many people will fall prey to scam like this if not informed.
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by Emeka71(m): 1:42am On Apr 27, 2016
See mugu.
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by Emeka71(m): 1:52am On Apr 27, 2016
iyaegin:
Sorry for your loss but you sound enlightened a bit to have fallen for this scam

However if you say more people came to complain about the same issue in the same branch then obviously someone in the branch is working in collusion with the scammers and supplying these details to them otherwise how did they know your name and last two digits of your debit card.
Exactly what I thought.
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by Aida13: 3:22am On Apr 27, 2016
This is so scary. I got these texts too...I suspect it's after trying to use BVN to register my mobile SIM....I ignored the text bit I keep worrying...hope one devil working at MTN is not stealing BVNs to defraud people. So sad.
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by lovean: 5:21am On Apr 27, 2016
pls pal vote for my frend optional for miss naira land contest 2016 .....her user name is optional. number 12 on the list of contestants........ tank u soo much...much love.....once u enter the romance section u will see miss naira land contest 2016 verification....... pls vote for my frnd ...tnx.
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by ezeuba(m): 5:34am On Apr 27, 2016
First, always keep your ATM card safe and close to you. Someone close to you with criminal tendencies could run such a scam on you; that was how they knew your name, ATM last digits and phone number. That person close to you could not get your PIN directly so this was the only way to make you give it to them. Be more careful next time. I would never disclose such details to anyone, not even my bank's MD.
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by yusufhaji(m): 5:36am On Apr 27, 2016
amuokuko:

Oga, u sef Dull nii...
At this age, men with brains ain't suppose to fall for such scam..

Advise to GTB account holders:
They now send a debit alert nd ask you to stop such transfer if u did not initiate such by clicking on a link, ur name nah sorry afterward..
nawa O.... May God help us
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by otokx(m): 6:12am On Apr 27, 2016
Nigerians refuse to practice Education, there is an underlying pervasive mediocre mentality which is made worse by our various media.
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by fullblast(m): 6:58am On Apr 27, 2016
Another true related story was that of my two friends who boarded a Toyota siena on the roadside from onitsha to enugu. They got into the vehicle and found out that the occupants were robbers who took away all their valuables including their phones n ATM Cards which The robbers inserted into their POS machine inorder to confirm my friends' pin numbers which they were forced to disclose @gun point. They found out few days later that their acccounts have been emptied.
The victims couldn't lay complaints to their banks because this happened on easter sunday.
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by Ajewealth123(m): 7:19am On Apr 27, 2016
Nothing on earth,no amount of juju will make me allow a customer care representative even if genuine attend to me via phone or online.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by ExperTrait(m): 7:28am On Apr 27, 2016
Empredboy:
»»ALERT ALERT ALERT»»

Read till the end Ooh:

{Deo-Gratias}.
guy, sorry for the loss but you fall Nigerian students hand...that cheap trick, you fell. Despite all the media warnings...sorry you learnt in the hard way

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by hornyman(m): 8:31am On Apr 27, 2016
E no get as e want be maga still full Nigeria regardless of the awareness everyday. No bank will ask you such details. Even if the bank request for such details I won't send, I believe if u truly work with the bank you shud have all my details in your computer not asking me again. For example, phone customer care will not ask u to quote ur phone number, they can simply see it on their computer and they will only ask u, is this your phone number finish. Same thing with bank, they will never ask u what is ur bvn number, acc number, swift code, atm number, serial number or whatever number, they have it on their computer if they are truly working with the bank, period.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Father Of 5 Excretes 73 Wraps Of Cocaine Enroute Dubai (Photo) / Yoruba, Hausa Youths Clash In Osun / Homosexual Bites Of Man's Lip In Lagos For Refusing Advances

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.