Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:43 AM

Champions League: Manchester City Must Avoid Defeat At Real Madrid - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Champions League: Manchester City Must Avoid Defeat At Real Madrid (555 Views)

Who Will Replace Cristiano Ronaldo At Real Madrid? / Cristiano Ronaldo Leaves Russia After World Cup Defeat (Photos) / Premier League: Manchester United Suffer Shocking Defeat At Huddersfield Town As (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Champions League: Manchester City Must Avoid Defeat At Real Madrid by akorebami(m): 11:42pm On Apr 26, 2016
By Akorede Kameel

It was a tactical match at Etihad stadium between Manchester City and Real Madrid. Not a game of numerous chances, not even much qualities but at the end of the 90 minutes – both teams would still fancy their chances of qualifying for the final of this year champions league. Joe Hart is the hero. He again proved tonight that he’s the right man for big occasion. He made two crucial saves, I want to believe that not many will disagree with me if I say he’s the reason why his team is still very much in this tie. Manchester City played a Madrid side without Cristiano Ronaldo but still couldn’t perform above average. Any different opinion? What if he was part of the show? We shall see how it will go in the second leg, it’ll be really difficult to predict what will happen in Spain next week. I just feel the Sky Blues should have done more playing at home, taking like a 1-0 lead to Bernabeu would have given them an extra edge and believe that they can eliminate Madrid but as it’s now, still not that bad, they just need to match their opponent for quality and threat when they play the second leg away from home. Getting to the final with an away goal should be on the card for Manchester City but one thing that is certain, they are going to find it difficult beating Real Madrid at home. David Silva going out was a blow because his connection with Kevin de bruyne was massive for City. It was all ball to Sergio Aguero but the Argentine has not just impressed me with his performance yet again. He’s huge for City, he should know that whenever he’s not turning up for his team, is like part of them is missing. I just have to mention Vincent Kompany, he was key in the defense, his combination with Otamendi was perfect, it was like the idea was not to concede at home. If I was Manuel Pellegrini, I would just tell the players that they have created a platform to build on, though Madrid have players who can hurt any team but so do City. The Sky Blues just need one goal in the Spanish capital and they are in a very good position.

I know that Real Madrid are happy with their performance but there will be a question mark on – if they are really happy with the result. They have won just 43% of their champions league games without Cristiano Ronaldo since 2009-10 and 71% with him on the pitch. Missed him tonight? Probably yes. If he was there, Madrid would have attacked in a different dimension. Will he be back for the second leg next week? I trust the club doctors will do all it can to make him available, even if it means he won’t be playing for them in the league. I heard someone saying Luka Modric had no influence on the game and I shake my head, for a midfielder who attempted 90 passes, more than he has done in any other champions league match this very season. Madrid in the game had more attacking talent even without their talisman and they will be expecting a complete opposite game in the second leg. In the last Laliga match without Ronaldo, he [Gareth Bale] was there for the team, with Karim Benzema not fully fit, the onion was on him to push the team forward. He did that tonight and was even closer to scoring a goal. Jese hit the crossbar later on and that’s where I question the decision to play Vazque ahead of Jese. He should have started the match and play on the role of Ronaldo, he often times play like him, just may be he would have made the difference. Wolfsburg took a two goal lead to Spain but got slated at the Bernabeu. Manchester City shouldn’t think this is a good result either? To top it all, Madrid haven’t conceded any goal at home in the champions league this season. City will fancy nicking a goal? Madrid pedigree tells that 9 times out of 10, they have beaten all at home in a second leg. Until next week Wednesday, keep the date in your diary.

Re: Champions League: Manchester City Must Avoid Defeat At Real Madrid by Maxity02(f): 8:28am On Apr 27, 2016
we will beat Madrid to their game, champions league belong to Manchester city this year

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

EXCLUSIVE: Harry Redknapp Set To Become Nigeria Manager Within Next Few Days / Maria Sharapova Has Been Banned For Two Years From Tennis / How To Take A Perfect Free-kick

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.