Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,013 members, 7,956,756 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 06:14 PM

Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English (14261 Views)

Beware Your Phone May Be Spying On You / 9 Ways You Are Accidentally Damaging Your Smart Phone / The Fingerprint Reader On Your Phone May Not Be As Secure As You Think (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by larmu(m): 7:32am On Apr 28, 2016
Reeberry:
Just unable auto correction ln your keyboard.
No be only unable,blna offable
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by larmu(m): 7:32am On Apr 28, 2016
Reeberry:
Just unable auto correction ln your keyboard.
No be only unable,na overable

Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by Begino1: 7:34am On Apr 28, 2016
Is kehinde an English word?
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by G3NTL3SOUL(m): 7:41am On Apr 28, 2016
Ever since I got a smartphone spelling became so easier for me. Since then I hardly even shorten words when chatting. So entire post is on the contrary.

Its ok.. I get it. OP is still leaving in the 90's
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by geraldhumphrey(m): 7:41am On Apr 28, 2016
op ,i swear u be mumu.God!
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by Nobody: 7:50am On Apr 28, 2016
Lol.. That phone is not smart..
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by hectorswag(m): 8:07am On Apr 28, 2016
Op I can totally relate to what you're saying.

Here's a screenshot of my phone's drop down menu, it's supposed to show "open behind" instead it's showing "open bind"

The problem started after I downloaded a new font style for my phone lol

Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by Milo30(m): 8:10am On Apr 28, 2016
G3NTL3SOUL:
Ever since I got a smartphone spelling became <b>so easier<\b> for me. Since then I hardly even shorten words when chatting. <b>So entire post is on the contrary.<\b>

Its ok.. I get it. OP is still leaving in the 90's

Hmmm. I think your phone played Judas here. It has betrayed you.

1 Like

Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by Coolgent(m): 8:12am On Apr 28, 2016
Made in Aba phones
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by Milo30(m): 8:14am On Apr 28, 2016
I don't type words in shortcut form. I think it is ridiculous. I'd have to learn to spell wrongly then practise it. Autocorrect is a nightmare.
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by mrlaw93(m): 8:21am On Apr 28, 2016
larmu:

I tink y'all quoting this guy re sick. When is "unable" a wrong word in d dictionary?
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by mrlaw93(m): 8:21am On Apr 28, 2016
larmu:

I tink y'all quoting this guy re sick. When did "unable" became a wrong word in d dictionary?
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by hecha38(m): 8:24am On Apr 28, 2016
Your findings are untrue op

1 Like

Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by solid3(m): 8:26am On Apr 28, 2016
Anayordike:
BEWARE! YOUR SMART PHONE MAY BE TEACHING YOU BAD ENGLISH
You need to watch it because your child’s smart phone may be teaching him/her bad English and even you as an adult.
Have you noticed the problem of English spelling with some recently released Android smart phones? It is unfortunate that at a time parents are complaining and lamenting that abbreviation words in the social media (text messages, facebook, whatsapp, twitter etc) has made mess of the ability of our youth to read and write good English.

And now most smart phones key boards are not helping matters rather they are compounding the problem of writing good and correct spelling of some English words. I don’t know why the manufacturers of these phones decided to omit some compound words from the English vocabulary? I as one, am finding it unbearable to tolerate this.

EXAMPLES : The following words are missing seriously from these smart phones/keyboards
1. Behind as” bind”
2. Vehicles = as “vicle “
3. Kehinde as “kinde”
4. Behold as “bold”
5. Apprehend as “append”
6. Household as ”housold”
7. Behave as “bave”
8. Behavior s “baviour”
9. Beheaded as “beaded”
10. Behalf as “balf”
11. Apprehensive as “apprensive” etc, etc (You can add yours as well)

Check out these wrong spelling of words in all the social media write ups and broadcasts and you will be amazed.

The question should be, are these new ways of spelling English words? What went wrong and who is to be blamed for all these: the Phone manufacturers of the keyboard owners? What is the solution to this problem or don’t we see it as a big problem?

Guy go and buy original phone and let us rest.
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by Tonymegabush1(m): 8:28am On Apr 28, 2016
My autocorrect enable keyboard don finish me makes me luk silly sometimes
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by Nobody: 8:28am On Apr 28, 2016
Anayordike:
You need to watch it because your child’s smart phone may be teaching him/her bad English and even you as an adult.
Have you noticed the problem of English spelling with some recently released Android smart phones? It is unfortunate that at a time parents are complaining and lamenting that abbreviation words in the social media (text messages, facebook, whatsapp, twitter etc) has made mess of the ability of our youth to read and write good English.

And now most smart phones key boards are not helping matters rather they are compounding the problem of writing good and correct spelling of some English words. I don’t know why the manufacturers of these phones decided to omit some compound words from the English vocabulary? I as one, am finding it unbearable to tolerate this.

EXAMPLES : The following words are missing seriously from these smart phones/keyboards
1. Behind as” bind”
3. Kehinde as “kinde”
4. Behold as “bold”
5. Apprehend as “append”
7. Behave as “bave”
8. Behavior s “baviour”
9. Beheaded as “beaded”
10. Behalf as “balf”
11. Apprehensive as “apprensive” etc, etc (You can add yours as well)

Check out these wrong spelling of words in all the social media write ups and broadcasts and you will be amazed.

The question should be, are these new ways of spelling English words? What went wrong and who is to be blamed for all these: the Phone manufacturers of the keyboard owners? What is the solution to this problem or don’t we see it as a big problem?

What phone and what keyboard are u using cos I've never experienced this.
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by Nobody: 8:52am On Apr 28, 2016
BuddhaPalm:

Jesu...

Just gini?
na disable im mean jare
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by Hybrid01: 8:55am On Apr 28, 2016
mrlaw93:
I tink y'all quoting this guy re sick. When did "unable" became a wrong word in d dictionary?
Oga chill. You don't use 'unable' when you are trying to make that kind of statement. You get that?
And you also should know that saying 'when did unable BECAME a wrong word...... Is wrong. BECOME is the correct word for that statement.
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by Gmekx(m): 9:00am On Apr 28, 2016
Anayordike:

1. Behind as” bind”
3. Kehinde as “kinde”
4. Behold as “bold”
5. Apprehend as “append”
7. Behave as “bave”
8. Behavior s “baviour”
9. Beheaded as “beaded”
10. Behalf as “balf”
11. Apprehensive as “apprensive” etc, etc (You can add yours as well).

Please can we see some pictures cos am finding it hard to believe
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by tolaxin(m): 9:38am On Apr 28, 2016
speciallymade:
Since I've been using my phone my auto correct is always there and my keyboard also guesses my next word for me, for example if I type how, my keyboard will show 'are' and some other words that can come after how.... So I don't really have problem with mine sha

You use a Sony Xperia? cool
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by NovusHomo(m): 10:06am On Apr 28, 2016
Oh Lordy; this, with all the bad English one reads on Nairaland.
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by brajy(m): 10:06am On Apr 28, 2016
OP...u aren't sure of yourself
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by alobright17(m): 10:09am On Apr 28, 2016
Not with my samsung phone because they gives me the correct spellings
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by speciallymade(m): 10:10am On Apr 28, 2016
tolaxin:

You use a Sony Xperia? cool
no.. I use infinix hote note 2
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by kan12(m): 10:11am On Apr 28, 2016
Op go.flash ur phone,or check weda im dey ame.or Brt English.
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by caukerzee(m): 10:44am On Apr 28, 2016
Your phone keyboard probably has a wrong dictionary. This is not a general problem. Stop the baseless generalization.
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by caukerzee(m): 10:50am On Apr 28, 2016
mrlaw93:
It is not a wrong word but it is wrongly used in that context. The same way became is wrongly used in your quote.
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by caukerzee(m): 10:55am On Apr 28, 2016
How did this topic make the front page? The information the OP is propagating is wrong. Only shows the "Moderators" of this forum are not doing their Jobs properly.
Seun lalasticala
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by nwadiuko1(m): 10:55am On Apr 28, 2016
okay those phones are not SMART
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by franko4don(m): 11:46am On Apr 28, 2016
alobright17:
Not with my samsung phone because they gives me the correct spellings
They gives you abi? No problem.
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by Kennitrust(m): 12:26pm On Apr 28, 2016
grin
Xhaka:
Can't buy a phone with my hard earned money and auto-correct will be dragging keyboard with me.
[url]
Xhaka:
Can't buy a phone with my hard earned money and auto-correct will be dragging keyboard with me.
[/url]
Xhaka:
Re: Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English by Anayordike(m): 12:27pm On Apr 28, 2016
Myosotis:
Definitely not all smart phones

Yes. Not all smartphones. Hence, I said "may". I am experiencing such for the first time. And have noticed same error in many write-ups

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Pokemon Go Isn’t Available In Nigeria And How To Install It On Your Device. / Get It Bigger And Faster With Gionee M6 Mirror / How To Create And Convert Videos To Whatsapp Gifs On Your Smartphone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.