Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,066 members, 7,953,252 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:03 PM

Nigeria’s Amusan Breaks Continental U-20 Track And Field Record - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria’s Amusan Breaks Continental U-20 Track And Field Record (634 Views)

Oluwatobiloba Amusan Wins Commonwealth 100m Hurdles Women Gold For Nigeria / Tobiloba Amusan Emerges The United States Athlete Of The Week / FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup: Nigeria Vs Spain 2 - 1 (Full Time) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Amusan Breaks Continental U-20 Track And Field Record by Litmus: 7:40pm On May 02, 2016

Ref:
http://theeagleonline.com.ng/nigerias-amusan-polands-bukowiecki-break-continental-u-20-track-and-field-records/

Nigerian sprint hurdler, Tobi Amusan, and Polish shot putter, Konrad Bukowiecki, have broken the under-20 continental records in their respective track and field world events.
A statement posted on the website of the International Association of Athletics Federations on Mondayconfirmed the results.
It said Amusan, a student at the University of Texas at El Paso, was a convincing winner of the 100m hurdles on her home track at the UTEP Invitational on April 30.
The statement stated that “aided by El Paso’s altitude and a following breeze of 0.4m/s, the 19-year-old produced the first sub-13-second run of her career to win in 12.83sec”.
It added: “Although her time is faster than Spanish Aliuska Lopez’s official world U-20 record of 12.84, Amusan’s mark won’t be ratified as there was no post-race drugs test.
“Dior Hall’s of U.S. 12.74 clocking last year was not ratified as a world U-20 record for the same reason.”
It further said Amusan’s mark was an improvement on her own African junior record and would stand as the second-fastest time ever by a junior.
The statement also quoted Amusan as saying that she was pleased to see dream come through.
Amusan said: “It was a really nice race and my plan was just to get out of the blocks.
“When I first looked at the scoreboard and it said 13.3 (seconds) I was very mad, but when the official results popped up and said 12.83 I said ‘yes’!
“It is really a privilege to run sub 13, it is great to see my goal come true that I have been training for over the past year.”
Amusan, who last year won the African junior and African Games titles, went on to win the 200m in El Paso in a personal best of 23.24.
For Bukowiecki, the world junior champion opened his 2016 outdoor campaign with a record-breaking throw in Bojanowo on May 1.
The statement said: “Competing with the 6kg shot, the 19-year-old opened his series with 21.41m, and then sent his implement out to a European junior record of 22.91m in the third round.
“Bukowiecki broke David Storl’s mark of 22.73m from 2009.
“By the end of the competition, Bukowiecki had improved again, extending the record to 22.94m.”
It stated that his winning mark was the second-best junior performance in history and that it was just six centimetres away from the world U-20 record set by Jacko Gill in 2013.
It added that Bukowiecki, who finished fourth at the IAAF World Indoor Championships, tagged: “Portland 2016,” later contested the discus and set a personal best of 60.85m with the 1.75kg implement.
“The result took him to fourth on 2016 U-20 world list,” the statement said.
NAN.

(1) (Reply)

A Gift For All Nairaland Members. Click To View / Sure Winning Odds To Win Over 500k. / 25 Top Football Players Who Will Miss Euro 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.