Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,288 members, 7,811,863 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:38 PM

The Xiaomi Thread. - Phones (5713) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Xiaomi Thread. (9171483 Views)

My Thoughts On The Xiaomi Redmi 5plus After 3 Weeks Use / Disadvantages Of The Xiaomi Redmi Note 4x / I've Got The Xiaomi 20000mah Powerbank. Any Question? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5710) (5711) (5712) (5713) (5714) (5715) (5716) ... (9315) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by olukiesy(m): 11:35pm On Aug 12, 2019
ironheart:
hahahahaha the beauty about xiaomi is that you dont need special skills to tweek your phone. Just go to en.miui.com and you have all you need. There are two type of 4 main types of xiaomi roms.

These are
Chines stable rom
Chines developers rom
Global stable rom
Global developers rom

I prefere the global developers rom. Its all in english
Though the chines roms gets updated faster but you have to deal with chines specific apps and there is no google apps n stores installed by default. Though there are tutorials on how to get them on your chines rom

But i will advice everyone to use the global developers rom

All you need to do is

1 Download the latest MIUI ROM for your device from http://en.miui.com/download.html

2 Connect your device to the Windows PC/laptop via a micro USB cable, and copy the ROM file downloaded in Step 1 into the folder ‘downloaded_rom’ in the internal storage of your device.

NOTE YOU CAN DOWNLOAD USING YOUR PHONE AS WELL N USING FILE EXPLORER TO MOVE THE ROM TO ‘downloaded_rom’

3 Launch ‘Updater' app on your device:
MIUI 6:Click the ‘…’ icon at the top-right corner, select ‘Choose update package’, and choose the ROM file you’ve put in ‘downloaded_rom’ in Step 2.

Press the Menu button, select ‘Choose update package’, and choose the ROM file you’ve put in ‘downloaded_rom’ in Step 2.

After choosing the right ROM file, your device will begin upgrading. Your device should automatically boot to the new version when the update is completed.

Its simple and advisable. Xiaomi allows its devices to be rooted

My mi4 is simple, no finger scanner but i enjoy the infrared remote.

I use it to control AC, cd player, tv, rechargeable fan and its cool. My remove is busy gathering dust.

Follow link for better review with pictures via https://www.netwyzblog.com/2019/08/xiomi-mi-a3-review.html?m=1

Xiaomi Mi A1 was quite the booster for the whole Android One program and paved the way for a fruitful partnership between Xiaomi and Google. The Mi A2 was a significant but controversial upgrade that eventually cemented the Mi A1 as the ultimate deal. And now, the Mi A3 is trying to right all the wrongs and reach for the top once again.
The Android purists can now enjoy the vanilla Google experience on a Super AMOLED screen. There is new Snapdragon chipset promising blazing-fast gaming performance. Then a trending triple-camera should allow you to snap some great pictures day and night. An finally, the large 4,030 mAh battery inside should help you do all these things for many, many hours on.

The Xiaomi Mi A3 introduces a new glass design, departure from the sturdy but somewhat outdated metal shells. And the Mi A3 still likes to keep it as safe as possible as evident by the choice of Gorilla Glass 5 for both the front and the back.

The camera is probably the most interesting new bit, now featuring a 48MP primary shooter and an 8MP ultrawide-angle snapper. The third eye is a depth sensor, which may seem useless, but we are always in for a surprise in them portraits.

Before we put the Mi A3 through its paces, let's take a deep dive into the specs sheet.

XIAOMI MI A3 SPECS

Body: aluminum frame, Gorilla Glass 5 front and back;
Display: 6.01" Super AMOLED, 1,560x720px resolution, 19.5:9 aspect ratio, 286ppi;
Triple rear camera: Wide - 48MP f/1.8, 1/2", 0.8µm pixel size, PDAF; Ultrawide - 8MP, f/2.2, 1.12µm pixel size; Depth sensor - 2MP, f/2.4; 2160p@30fps.
Front camera: 32MP, 0.8µm pixel size, f/2.0; 1080p/30fps video recording.
Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 665: octa-core CPU (4x2.0 GHz Kryo 260 Gold & 4x1.8 GHz Kryo 260 Silver), Adreno 610 GPU.
Memory: 4GB of RAM; 64/128GB storage; hybrid microSD slot (uses SIM2)
Battery: 4,030mAh Li-Po (sealed); 18W fast charging.
Connectivity: Dual-SIM; LTE-A, 4-Band carrier aggregation, Cat.15/13 (800Mbps/150Mbps); USB-C; Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac; Bluetooth 5.0
Misc: Under-display fingerprint reader; single down-firing speaker; 3.5mm jack

Xiaomi is indeed righting those wrongs by bringing the audio jack back! And the microSD slot! And FM radio! And the larger battery is indeed a wish come true.

The elephant in the room, the 720p screen, definitely stands out and not in a good way. It's been a while since we worked on such a low-res screen, let alone a PenTile AMOLED. But let's stay positive and give it a fair chance, shall we?

UNBOXING THE XIAMO MI A3

The Mi A3 retail box contains what you'd expect from a mid-ranger's bundle - a USB-C cable, a 10W charger, and inside the paper compartment there is a dark gray silicone case.

It's worth noting that while the Mi A3 supports 18W (Quick Charge 3.0), Xiaomi is not shipping the phone with a QC3-compatible charger. Those are not that expensive anymore, though, so it's not that of a biggie.

A lot of Chinese phones usually have a screen protector pre-applied in the factory but the Mi A3 is not among those. It does come with Gorilla Glass 5 protection on both sides and we can understand why Xiaomi decided against a having a protector.
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by Meagainstenemy: 11:36pm On Aug 12, 2019

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by genius43(m): 11:42pm On Aug 12, 2019
olayinkajnr:
I won't have said anything about all these back and forth network argument. I think both @scotweezy and @ray1251 are right. MTN is consistent. I just confirmed it this evening.

I transferred 200mb from one of my Airtel line to my other Airtel line.

Note: the other airtel line is in a torchlight phone, there was no way I can use it to browse on the phone.

Lol and behold, I restarted the torchlight phone, checked data balance on the phone and I swear, I saw 19mb instead of the 200mb I transferred to it.

No exaggeration at all.

And some was trying to lecture me about uplink. What uplink did your torchlight do now?

The truth is if you haven't experienced it you will find it difficult to believe. That's how the same Airtel wiped out 1.7Gb from my mum's line within two days. And what was her only usage few WhatsApp voice calls of about 30Mb and checking headlines on opera mini.
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by akashi01(m): 11:42pm On Aug 12, 2019
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by genius43(m): 11:43pm On Aug 12, 2019
olukiesy:

Follow link for better review with pictures via https://www.netwyzblog.com/2019/08/xiomi-mi-a3-review.html?m=1

Xiaomi Mi A1 was quite the booster for the whole Android One program and paved the way for a fruitful partnership between Xiaomi and Go decided against a having a protector.

Please edit your post remove the quotes and the unnecessary long specifications, if we need it Gsmarena is there. You can leave your link for interested persons. Thank you.
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by olayinkajnr(m): 11:46pm On Aug 12, 2019
genius43:

And some was trying to lecture me about uplink. What uplink did your torchlight do now?

The truth is if you haven't experienced it you will find it difficult to believe. That's how the same Airtel wiped out 1.7Gb from my mum's line within two days. And what was her only usage few WhatsApp voice calls of about 30Mb and checking headlines on opera mini.

Seriously, I was shocked. If not that Nigerian College of Aviation, Zaria tower is causing issues with networks here, I would have switched to Glo.

They didn't allow any network to install a mast in our area at all. Only Airtel is strong here.
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by genius43(m): 11:59pm On Aug 12, 2019
olayinkajnr:

Seriously, I was shocked. If not that Nigerian College of Aviation, Zaria tower is causing issues with networks here, I would have switched to Glo.

They didn't allow any network to install a mast in our area at all. Only Airtel is strong here.

That's just sad. But, I thought airspace network should be on a higher frequency than mobile networks?
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by olayinkajnr(m): 12:04am On Aug 13, 2019
genius43:

That's just sad. But, I thought airspace network should be on a higher frequency than mobile networks?

That's what I don't even understand. The tallest MTN mast that use to be in our area before, they forced them to reduce it to about a story building height. So, it's a good as nothing self.
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by genius43(m): 12:09am On Aug 13, 2019
olayinkajnr:

That's what I don't even understand. The tallest MTN mast that use to be in our area before, they forced them to reduce it to about a story building height. So, it's a good as nothing self.

I know mast height is an issue here in Nigeria.
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by stephinnoyewole(m): 1:06am On Aug 13, 2019
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by stephinnoyewole(m): 1:07am On Aug 13, 2019
epospiky:

I've read reviews of people(nigerians) getting it. But it's from MI global store. I even ordered for it. Still awaiting confirmation though.

Kindly update me when u have it pls
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by Hyinkar97(m): 1:11am On Aug 13, 2019
genius43:

Congratulations, welcome to the family.

Disable WiFi and Bluetooth scanning by searching for them from your settings.

If you need GCam ask or check Jboixxx compilation list.
Done all these!
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by GrandMufti: 1:58am On Aug 13, 2019
BoleAndFish:
Guys I need serious advice. Just don't know what to do. The last time I charged my phone was around 9pm last night. The problem is, my battery is still in 67%. How can a day pass without charging my phone?? Is it wise?

Thinking of posting this on a tecno thread. grin grin grin

Bug

1 Like

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by GrandMufti: 1:59am On Aug 13, 2019
Teedeechian:

For One ui or MIUI?

The feature itself
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by abdsamad(m): 2:45am On Aug 13, 2019
Looks like village people are at rest: no one has reported their phonesstolen in the past 2 weeks
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by abdsamad(m): 2:50am On Aug 13, 2019
Ladies and gentlemen.. I am happy to report that errm Oneplus is a good devices and the OS is a good OS. But I am happier to report that errm ayam coming back to miui as soon as my situation will allow.
Miui is playing chess while this one is a ludo grandmaster

4 Likes

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by IKON360(m): 3:41am On Aug 13, 2019
BoleAndFish:
Guys, what could be wrong? My SOT stops increasing after a while even if I use it for so long. I decided to really stay active with the phone today but just look at what my SOT is showing - 1 hr 12 mins. I literally used this phone throughout today as you can see in my ss.

Has mtn blocked the welcome back data plan? I used to use it before but it's now saying I'm not qualified for the plan. Cc: ikon360 and others
I really dont know, cos I dont have my phone with me. I'll check next week
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by jboixxx: 4:34am On Aug 13, 2019
olayinkajnr:

Let's be serious! When last did you update you torch phone? You transferred data to it and effected a restart like you normally do on smartphones after an update, and you expect it not to update?! Biko, Don't vex me this early ọjọ àìkú.

Seriously, this issue is subjective. You can only be sure of your experiences; if you haven't experienced it, you will likely not believe it.

I still maintain the fact that all ISPs do zapping. Why and factors that make a line eligible grin is what I don't understand because why is it a random thing??!!
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by jboixxx: 4:36am On Aug 13, 2019
Hyinkar97:

Done all these!
Just enjoy your device! Check Xiaomi compilation post for FAQs but if you still needs some clarifications/assistance not addressed therein, holla to the house.
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by jboixxx: 4:38am On Aug 13, 2019
abdsamad:
Looks like village people are at rest: no one has reported their phonesstolen in the past 2 weeks
.Don't wake them up, abeg.

1 Like

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by jboixxx: 4:43am On Aug 13, 2019
mistermorex:
It was a smooth deal with #ifedith 2 days ago. I was able to get from him Redmi 7 for a friend. Thanks Ifedith
FYI, you can swap that blue smartphone on the table there o. Just letting you know wink
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by okikiosibodu(m): 5:23am On Aug 13, 2019
genius43:

Congratulations, welcome to the family.
Disable WiFi and Bluetooth scanning by searching for them from your settings.
If you need GCam ask or check Jboixxx compilation list.
Abeg wetin b the function of the wifi and Bluetooth scan sef?
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by okikiosibodu(m): 5:25am On Aug 13, 2019
olukiesy:

Xiaomi Mi A1 was quite the booster for the whole Android One program and paved the way for a fruitful partnership between Xiaomi and Google. The Mi A2 was a significant but controversial upgrade that eventually cemented the Mi A1 as the ultimate deal. And now, the Mi A3 is trying to right all the wrongs and reach for the top once again.
The Android purists can now enjoy the vanilla Google experience on a Super AMOLED screen. There is new Snapdragon chipset promising blazing-fast gaming performance. Then a trending triple-camera should allow you to snap some great pictures day and night. An finally, the large 4,030 mAh battery inside should help you do all these things for many, many hours on.

The Xiaomi Mi A3 introduces a new glass design, departure from the sturdy but somewhat outdated metal shells. And the Mi A3 still likes to keep it as safe as possible as evident by the choice of Gorilla Glass 5 for both the front and the back.

The camera is probably the most interesting new bit, now featuring a 48MP primary shooter and an 8MP ultrawide-angle snapper. The third eye is a depth sensor, which may seem useless, but we are always in for a surprise in them portraits.

Before we put the Mi A3 through its paces, let's take a deep dive into the specs sheet.

XIAOMI MI A3 SPECS

Body: aluminum frame, Gorilla Glass 5 front and back;
Display: 6.01" Super AMOLED, 1,560x720px resolution, 19.5:9 aspect ratio, 286ppi;
Triple rear camera: Wide - 48MP f/1.8, 1/2", 0.8µm pixel size, PDAF; Ultrawide - 8MP, f/2.2, 1.12µm pixel size; Depth sensor - 2MP, f/2.4; 2160p@30fps.
Front camera: 32MP, 0.8µm pixel size, f/2.0; 1080p/30fps video recording.
Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 665: octa-core CPU (4x2.0 GHz Kryo 260 Gold & 4x1.8 GHz Kryo 260 Silver), Adreno 610 GPU.
Memory: 4GB of RAM; 64/128GB storage; hybrid microSD slot (uses SIM2)
Battery: 4,030mAh Li-Po (sealed); 18W fast charging.
Connectivity: Dual-SIM; LTE-A, 4-Band carrier aggregation, Cat.15/13 (800Mbps/150Mbps); USB-C; Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac; Bluetooth 5.0
Misc: Under-display fingerprint reader; single down-firing speaker; 3.5mm jack

Xiaomi is indeed righting those wrongs by bringing the audio jack back! And the microSD slot! And FM radio! And the larger battery is indeed a wish come true.

The elephant in the room, the 720p screen, definitely stands out and not in a good way. It's been a while since we worked on such a low-res screen, let alone a PenTile AMOLED. But let's stay positive and give it a fair chance, shall we?

UNBOXING THE XIAMO MI A3

The Mi A3 retail box contains what you'd expect from a mid-ranger's bundle - a USB-C cable, a 10W charger, and inside the paper compartment there is a dark gray silicone case.

It's worth noting that while the Mi A3 supports 18W (Quick Charge 3.0), Xiaomi is not shipping the phone with a QC3-compatible charger. Those are not that expensive anymore, though, so it's not that of a biggie.

A lot of Chinese phones usually have a screen protector pre-applied in the factory but the Mi A3 is not among those. It does come with Gorilla Glass 5 protection on both sides and we can understand why Xiaomi decided against a having a protector.
Great
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by okikiosibodu(m): 5:25am On Aug 13, 2019
ironheart:
hahahahaha the beauty about xiaomi is that you dont need special skills to tweek your phone. Just go to en.miui.com and you have all you need. There are two type of 4 main types of xiaomi roms.

These are
Chines stable rom
Chines developers rom
Global stable rom
Global developers rom

I prefere the global developers rom. Its all in english
Though the chines roms gets updated faster but you have to deal with chines specific apps and there is no google apps n stores installed by default. Though there are tutorials on how to get them on your chines rom

But i will advice everyone to use the global developers rom

All you need to do is

1 Download the latest MIUI ROM for your device from http://en.miui.com/download.html

2 Connect your device to the Windows PC/laptop via a micro USB cable, and copy the ROM file downloaded in Step 1 into the folder ‘downloaded_rom’ in the internal storage of your device.

NOTE YOU CAN DOWNLOAD USING YOUR PHONE AS WELL N USING FILE EXPLORER TO MOVE THE ROM TO ‘downloaded_rom’

3 Launch ‘Updater' app on your device:
MIUI 6:Click the ‘…’ icon at the top-right corner, select ‘Choose update package’, and choose the ROM file you’ve put in ‘downloaded_rom’ in Step 2.

Press the Menu button, select ‘Choose update package’, and choose the ROM file you’ve put in ‘downloaded_rom’ in Step 2.

After choosing the right ROM file, your device will begin upgrading. Your device should automatically boot to the new version when the update is completed.

Its simple and advisable. Xiaomi allows its devices to be rooted

My mi4 is simple, no finger scanner but i enjoy the infrared remote.

I use it to control AC, cd player, tv, rechargeable fan and its cool. My remove is busy gathering dust.

great info
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by okikiosibodu(m): 5:27am On Aug 13, 2019
jboixxx:

Just enjoy your device! Check Xiaomi compilation post for FAQs but if you still needs some clarifications/assistance not addressed therein, holla to the house.
I need to bookmark this
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by okikiosibodu(m): 5:28am On Aug 13, 2019
olayinkajnr:

Are you by chance an NCAT student?
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by Nobody: 5:33am On Aug 13, 2019
Gptech:

Lol! I hope this your post nr dey try insinuate say Xiaomi dey try for phones but their software nr reach? The person u quote dey all after launchers, and anything e talk dey purely personal. Some like IPhone like feel, some Samsung, some stock Android, while some like me personally hate launchers. Another thing be say, someone like me never ever like any Samsung interface before apart from the current one ui, doesn't mean Samsung has always had a bad OS. After weighing both, I personally still think say miui overall still dey better than One ui (sounds biased but true IMO). Truth b say many ppl nr even know wetin miui fit do even after using their phones for years, I see a lot of them using third party apps for wetin their phones already get.

True Sir,
To an extent you are right.
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by maverickdude(m): 5:34am On Aug 13, 2019
Dayo4real12:
Beside Tertalizer
Thank you. I'll check it out today
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by lordchiz(m): 5:59am On Aug 13, 2019
jboixxx:

Bros, when next you're charging your device, ensure it is the cable fits perfectly well into the charging port of the phone; very important otherwise, it will slow charge. To experience FC, the cable must sit well in the phone. This was the same issue lord' had with his device recently.
U are right!
I think his own is also charging fast ...
He should get another cord aside d default RN7 cord for better result
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by genius43(m): 6:38am On Aug 13, 2019
okikiosibodu:

Abeg wetin b the function of the wifi and Bluetooth scan sef?

To improve GPS positioning

1 Like

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by Hyinkar97(m): 7:19am On Aug 13, 2019
jboixxx:

Thank you!
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by Teedeechian(m): 8:16am On Aug 13, 2019
olayinkajnr:
I won't have said anything about all these back and forth network argument. I think both @scotweezy and @ray1251 are right. MTN is consistent. I just confirmed it this evening.

I transferred 200mb from one of my Airtel line to my other Airtel line.

Note: the other airtel line is in a torchlight phone, there was no way I can use it to browse on the phone.

Lol and behold, I restarted the torchlight phone, checked data balance on the phone and I swear, I saw 19mb instead of the 200mb I transferred to it.

No exaggeration at all.

I have always known mtn to be data embezzler (lol), they always deduct more than what my inbuilt data counter projects sef, but airtel did something of sort yesterday, airtel gave me 200mb on 2 of my sims yesterday, because of the internet downtime on Sunday, low and behold it was 20mb they gave.

I checked the 2 sims and it was 19.57mb I received, I don't know whether the connection issue they had on Sunday had to do with 200mb turning to 20mb or they were just plain lying.

My conclusion is non of this services provider are straight with us, we just have to find the one that works for us individually.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5710) (5711) (5712) (5713) (5714) (5715) (5716) ... (9315) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: suffy834(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.