Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,749 members, 7,809,867 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:20 PM

Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A (11617 Views)

DROPSHIPPING BUSINESS. Solutions To Challenges. Q&A Session. / Very Cheap Us Company Formation + Business Bank Account / PIUNI Global Business Oppotunity - Support, Q&A, Training and News Update Zone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by chumanji01: 9:41pm On Jun 22, 2016
I had paid N50,000 to a staff of CAC in a branch in South East Nigeria to incorporate an account after conducting of Name search of N500 in a TSA account and the name was approved after 1week. He assured me he would pay a Lawyer’s fees and I would spend only 3 more weeks after approval and get my certificate. In one of my visits to enquire how far the registration had gone, he was inquisitive to know why I needed to incorporate the account because I kept mentioning some dates and if it would be ready. He told me of other partnerships he had been involved in with clients.I was reluctant to tell him……………. I had a different pressing matter and told him I needed to make enquiries on how long an NGO could be incorporated and he told me it would take a longer time and a higher amount. I discovered the pressing need would have been over compared to the likely time he said it would be ready. He told me he could introduce me to his wife who had an NGO so we apply together.I told I would think about it. He later sent me my RC number and said the process of opening was okay but he was still expecting the certificate of incorporation from a different branch of CAC.I got back to him telling him that I remembered it was an NGO that sent me the thread and that they had promised to solve my immediate need…………… He may have or not taken this personal but he began to tell me subsequently that our batch for registration had issues. Now after 7 weeks of utilizing ,distributing and marketing publicly the name, he tells me that the name was eventually refused and recalled and I should send a new name but he would only take care of forms while Ill pay the lawyer again. Please I need to know what exactly to do because I find it difficult to believe this. Is there an independent way to verify.I need comments
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by MyIncorp: 10:25pm On Jun 22, 2016
[quote author=chumanji01 post=46831998][/quote]

Simply ask for a refund of your money. You can verify anything. It is even wrong to give a member of staff money to do the registration for you. You either do it yourself or engage an accredited agent.
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by chumanji01: 11:21pm On Jun 22, 2016
@MyIncorp

What are the likely scenarios which could have taken place and If he refuses,what step do I take? How do you know an accredited agent? I started the process at the website but I got hooked somewhere and decided to go to the branch for more explanation. CAC website is not definite as regards contacts to call nor do they have a customer care to let you know of accredited agents?Your last hope when you wish to solve a pressing matter is to locate the branch when the website isn't clear anymore.
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by uvalued(m): 4:04am On Jun 23, 2016
thanks
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by MyIncorp: 7:49am On Jun 23, 2016
chumanji01:
@MyIncorp

What are the likely scenarios which could have taken place and If he refuses,what step do I take? How do you know an accredited agent? I started the process at the website but I got hooked somewhere and decided to go to the branch for more explanation. CAC website is not definite as regards contacts to call nor do they have a customer care to let you know of accredited agents?Your last hope when you wish to solve a pressing matter is to locate the branch when the website isn't clear anymore.

Threaten to report him to his boss or petition the Registrar General. I am sure he won't want to lose his job (except he is not a member of staff there).
Unfortunately these days, every agent parades himself/herself as an accredited agent. But one is issued an accreditation number.
You can contact me off NL to discuss your registration.
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by ThundrCork(m): 10:08am On Jun 23, 2016
Detailed and worth following. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by chumanji01: 9:58am On Jun 24, 2016
I already called their head office through a contact given by a Link and I was given his bosses number. I met the boss and he was later summoned.It was discovered the job was not filed in their office but in a different branch office 2 and half hours away. He later called the 'Lawyer' who did the search and the person insists they said name change but because it was a different branch office ,we could not get to the root of the reason or evidence why name was changed. The boss showed me some files with various issues which he was following up. He said if it had been filed in his branch he would be able to follow through to a logical conclusion. Now same guy trying to redeem himself in front of boss suggested I should get a new name mixed with old but I find it difficult to convince myself to go through same guy (plus with some denials and cook ups he tried to put up in bosses presence )and wait for another two months again and as severe damage has been done already on the ongoing and immediate upcoming activities which I need to undergo. I have searched the name of the company I spoke about and I find no other name similar to mine because mine is a Spanish name and yet mine still exists.
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by chumanji01: 11:22am On Jun 24, 2016
The boss has assured me to follow up the case meticulously till I have my Company documents.He said a refund would be made with slight adjustments and a refiling if reason is ascertained and there's need for a name change and conclusion of already initiated process if there no need.Says hell try to get to branch where search was done to know the exact reason. @MyIncop thanks. It was with your thread that I had to take up this matter.Wondered if solutions for some matters could ever be found in our country for some offices when we should have gone far beyond this. I appreciate your works,understanding,contribution and advise. Ill definitely hook up with you. Thankx
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by futurerex: 12:52pm On Jun 24, 2016
Hello sir, I would like to know what type of businesses that can be run under "entertainment". Is it possible to run media & publication under it? Duo it's a business name. Thanks
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by MyIncorp: 2:57pm On Jun 24, 2016
chumanji01:
The boss has assured me to follow up the case meticulously till I have my Company documents.He said a refund would be made with slight adjustments and a refiling if reason is ascertained and there's need for a name change and conclusion of already initiated process if there no need.Says hell try to get to branch where search was done to know the exact reason. @MyIncop thanks. It was with your thread that I had to take up this matter.Wondered if solutions for some matters could ever be found in our country for some offices when we should have gone far beyond this. I appreciate your works,understanding,contribution and advise. Ill definitely hook up with you. Thankx
Good to read from you again; and to know the case is being attended to now.
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by MyIncorp: 3:19pm On Jun 24, 2016
futurerex:
Hello sir, I would like to know what type of businesses that can be run under "entertainment". Is it possible to run media & publication under it? Duo it's a business name. Thanks

You can register a media and publication as a business name. But, you must possess a certificate in any media-related professional association. E.g NUJ, NIPR

To avoid being asked to provide a certificate avoid using the word "media".
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by futurerex: 3:33pm On Jun 24, 2016
MyIncorp:

You can register a media and publication as a business name. But, you must possess a certificate in any media-related professional association. E.g NUJ, NIPR

To avoid being asked to provide a certificate avoid using the word "media".
Thank you sir
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by MyIncorp: 3:09pm On Jun 26, 2016
ThundrCork:
Detailed and worth following. Thanks
Thanks
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by MyIncorp: 12:37pm On Jul 02, 2016
uvalued:
thanks

Thanks too
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by meemeee: 12:30pm On Aug 01, 2016
Thanks a million.

I really do appreciate your reply.

What you said is true, after re-submitting for re-validity, it was not accepted. so all the money for publishing in national dailies is a waste.

We have to start all over..

Thanks again.

MyIncorp:

As registration agents, we face this situation at times; especially when the client has delayed in making payments.

Nonetheless, since the name was initially approved, you will have to re-validate (re-submit) the approved name (and hope it will be approved a second time).

There, however, is no guarantee that the name will be approved again; as another approving officer might see reason the proposed name shouldn't be approved.

My submission is based on a recent experience. In this particular case, the proposed trustee name was approved. But due to delays on the part of the client, we couldn't complete the registration before the end of the grace period. And trust me, publications had been made.

After re-submitting the approved name for a possible approval, the name was denied. According to the CAC, the word "action" which was included in the name wasn't registrable.

We resubmitted the name a number of times, hoping we could be lucky in one of those attempts, but failed.

We had to write the oga patapata for CAC (Registrar General) to lay our complaints and requesting that the proposed name be approved as we had made publications in the dailies due to the initial approval.

Long story short, we were finally denied and reasons for denial was stated. They said the word "action" is political in nature or suggest military.

In situations such as this, you will have to find a new name and publish new notices on the pages of newspapers.
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by MyIncorp: 5:12pm On Aug 07, 2016
meemeee:
Thanks a million.

I really do appreciate your reply.

What you said is true, after re-submitting for re-validity, it was not accepted. so all the money for publishing in national dailies is a waste.

We have to start all over..

Thanks again.

You are welcome
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by MyIncorp: 8:14am On Aug 11, 2016
Keep your questions coming.
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by MyIncorp: 9:50am On Sep 04, 2016
Happy Sunday to you all.
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by MyIncorp: 12:22pm On Jan 24, 2017
Hi, NLders.
I have been away for a while. However, I am overwhelmed by the number of calls I get with respect to this post.

You can post your questions here, and I will be glad to provide you answers.
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by DeConsultant: 8:13pm On Mar 10, 2017
According to the Federal Government drive to making the cost of doing business cheap in Nigeria, do you know that registering a business name, limited liability companies and other allied dealing with the Corporate Affairs Commission is now very easy & faster and can be done by the first directors, proprietors and trustees (promoters).
If you need assistance as regards the particulars of a proposed company, stamping of documents, pre-incorporation documentation, filing of incorporation documents, registration and incorporation, preliminary matters after incorporation (Company Seal, FIRS TIN, EFCC SCUML, Corporate Bank Opening) & Post incorporation (annual returns, changes in memorandum, removal or appointing directors, change of company name, increase in share capital).
We are also professionals in trademarks, patents, copyrights & special designs; NAFDAC registration, NIPC registration, NEPC registration and other government special registration, taxation (TCC, VAT & CIT returns) etc.
We have assisted over 200 hundred promoters, clients in Nigeria and Diaspora with our all inclusive corporate service. Contact us to enjoy our advantage.
You can contact us for more information and inquiries via call or Whatsapp on 08107804290.
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by MyIncorp: 3:04pm On Apr 10, 2017
MyIncorp:
Hi, NLders.
I have been away for a while. However, I am overwhelmed by the number of calls I get with respect to this post.

You can post your questions here, and I will be glad to provide you answers.
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by DeConsultant: 9:51am On Apr 14, 2017
There is always an advantage you get with us. We do not just help you register your business name (Enterprise, Ventures or Company), limited liability companies (private limited company, public limited company or unlimited company), NGO/ IT (church, club, foundation), we also help you grow and advance it. After we assist you with the registration process at CAC, we also help with your tax papers and other registration process like EFCC (SCUML), SON, NAFDAC, TRADEMARK, FIRS (VAT, TCC, CIT) e.t.c. We have seasoned professionals who are ready to consult for you and your company at low cost fees. We are proud to say we have registered over 100 companies for clients and promoters in Nigeria and Diaspora. Why not contact us today for an all exclusive corporate package at an affordable fee. Call or Whatsapp us now 08107804290.
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by DeConsultant: 10:29am On Apr 14, 2017
Here are some proficiency certificate needed for company registration in Nigeria
1. Nursery/ Primary School: N.C.E/ B.Ed
2. Secondary School: B.Ed
3. Post-Secondary School: M.Ed, PGD. Ed, Phd (Edu)
4. Investment/ Mutual Fund Company: SEC Authorization
5. Advertising/ Media/ Marketing: APCON
6. Engineering/ Construction: COREN
7. Microfinance Bank/ Bank/ Any Other Financial Services: CBN Authorization.
8. Insurance Company: NAICON Authorisation
9. Consultancy/ Management: Masters Degree in precised field
There are others but will post them later.
If you have inquiries to make, call or Whatsapp us on 08107804290.
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by nosdat(m): 9:51am On May 17, 2017
Your posts have been very informative. I just submitted a business name that was approved online (MAX EDU CONSULT) for registration. The lady who took my application said they may need a proficiency certificate and licence from me because of the inclusion of EDU and CONSULT in the proposed name. Please, is this true? And if it is, what do i do?
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by MyIncorp: 3:41pm On May 19, 2017
nosdat:
Your posts have been very informative. I just submitted a business name that was approved online (MAX EDU CONSULT) for registration. The lady who took my application said they may need a proficiency certificate and licence from me because of the inclusion of EDU and CONSULT in the proposed name. Please, is this true? And if it is, what do i do?
Yes, this is true. For the inclusion of the word "consult", you need to provide the commission a professional certificate in related discipline.
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by DeConsultant: 4:27pm On May 23, 2017
nosdat:

For the registration of your proposed name "MAX EDU CONSULT"you will need a Master degree in education. Consultancy needs a Masters, Edu needs a certificate in education. Therefore, Master degree in Education is key to the registration process.

For further inquiries, information or questions contact us on 08107804290 via call or Whatsapp.
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by DeConsultant: 4:27pm On May 23, 2017
Hello Nairalanders, we are proud to tell you that our firm have been able to assist over 10 promoters register their business name and private limited companies via CAC online portal.
Below is the procedure for company registration via CAC ONLINE PORTAL

PROCEDURE FOR REGISTRATION OF COMPANY/BUSINESS
NAME/INCORPORATED TRUSTEES ONLINE
Connection to the Company Registration Portal (CRP)
1. Services.cac.gov.ng, or
2. cac.gov.ng
Creation of account
1. Click on create account on the home page of the Portal.
2. Complete the forms displayed
NOTE:
i. ACCREDITED USERS should select ‘’ARE YOU AN ACCREDITED CUSTOMER?’’ and enter
their accreditation number in this format for individual NBA/IND/12345 or
ICAN/IND/12345 or ICSAN/IND/12345, and for firm NBA/FM/12345, or ICAN/FM/12345,
or ICSAN/FM/12345.
ii. Accredited users must ensure that they enter the e-mail address that was used during
their accreditation.
3. Enter the catcher as displayed in the box.
4. Click on submit.
FOR GENERAL USERS, the system will display the pre-entered ‘’USER NAME’’ and the auto generated
‘’PASSWORD’’ immediately. While accredited users will be mailed their ‘’USER NAME’’ and
‘’PASSWORD’’ after approval at the back office.

ACCESSING THE CRP AFTER ACCOUNT CREATION
1. Enter the ‘’USER NAME’’ and ‘’PASSWORD’’.
2. Click on ‘’LOGIN’’
3. Accept terms of use.
4. Change your ‘’PASSWORD’’.
You can thereafter transact business with the commission using your profile without any interruption.

CONDUCT AVAILABILITY
1. Login using your profile details.
2. Select ‘’NAME SEARCH’’.
3. Complete the forms displayed.
NOTE:
1. Always make use of the ‘’CONTINUE’’ button until you get to the end of the form and make
payment.
2. For Incorporated Trustee make sure you provide the main object in the column provided.
3. All fields make asterisks and in red are compulsory and must be populated.
TO VIEW AVAILABILITY APPROVAL
1. Login with your profile.
2. Click on ‘’ACTION’’ button’’ on the name already reserved.
3. Click on DOWNLOAD OF NAME APPROVAL’’.
4. The system will download the document at the base of your computer system.
5. Click on the ‘’OPEN’’ option, the approved availability will be displayed.
NOTE: This is where you see the availability serial number that is required for registration.

REGISTRATION OF COMPANY, BUSINESS NAME, INCORPORATED TRUSTEES
1. Reserve name.
2. Log in with your profile.
3. Select ‘’REGISTRATION’’
4. Select the classification that is ‘’BUSINESS NAME, or COMPANY, or INCORPORATED TRUSTEE’’.
5. Enter the availability serial code.
6. Click on continue.
7. Enter the details of the ‘’PROPRIETOR, DIRECTORS, TRUSTEES, SHAREHOLDERS, SECRETARY
(depending on whether you are registering a BUSINESS NAME, COMPANY, or INCORPORATED
TRUSTEE).
NOTE:
1. Where the director of the company is also a shareholder select the director that has the
dual role enter the number of shares and classification of shares then click on ‘’ADD
SELECTED RECORD’’.
2. For companies and Incorporated Trustees, click on ‘’ADD AN OBJECT’’ or ‘’ADD OBJECTS’’
and type in the nature of Business or objects for which the company or Incorporated trustee
is registered, then click on ‘’ADD’’. Continue to add the object until all the objects have been
added.
3. For companies, either adopt the ‘’ARTICLE’’ or edit by adding or removing the content of the
Article and replacing the same with your own Articles.
8. Select the ‘’DROP OFF and PICK UP STATE’’.
9. Click on continue until payment is made.
10. Select ‘’GET STAMP’’ to stamp the document electronically.
11. Make payment for electronic stamping.
12. The system will automatically affix the electronic stamp duties on the documents (Form CAC1.1,
and Memorandum and Article of Association).

TO DOWNLOAD STAMP DOCUMENT
1. Select ‘’REGISTRATION’’.
2. The system will display all the list of companies registered.
3. Under the ‘’DOCUMENT’’ click on ‘’DOWNLOAD DOCUMENTS’’. Or
4. Click on ‘’ACTION’’ button.
5. Select ‘’DOWNLOAD DOCUMENTS’’.
6. Print the document.

TO UPLOAD DOCUMENT ON DOCUMENT UPLOAD INTERFACE
1. The documents already printed must be signed by the directors/subscribers
2. Go to the commission’s web site ‘’www.cac.gov.ng’’
3. At the middle of the page extreme right select ‘’DOCUMENT UPLOAD’’.
4. Enter the company/Business name/Incorporated Trustee ‘’AVAILABILITY CODE’’.
5. Select the ‘’ORIGINATING OFFICE’’ (THIS IS WHERE YOU WILL PICK UP THE CERTIFICATE).
6. Select ‘’I AM NOT A ROBOT’’ then follow the instruction.
7. Click on ‘’BEGIN’’.
8. Select the type of document to be attached one after the other and attach each one after
properly identifying same.
9. After attaching all the documents click on submit.

AFTER UPLOAD WHAT’S NEXT
1. The Commission will rely on the uploaded documents to treat your application. The certificate
will be generated by the Commission and all relevant documents will be certified.
2. You don’t have to come to the Commission to follow up on the status of your application, you
can check the status of your application on the portal. There is a column that reads ‘’STATUS’’
on your profile. This will show the state or status of the application, it will show ‘’NOT
SUBMITED, or SUBMITTED, or PENDING APPROVAL, or APPROVED depending on stage the
application is.
3. Also note that where the application is approved and certificate generated the Registration
number will be displayed on the column for ‘’REGISTRATION NUMBER’’.
4. When the status reads ‘’APPROVED’’ and Registration number displayed, then you can approach
the office where you had selected as the DROP OFF/PICK UP OFFICE or ‘’ORIGINATING OFFICE’’
with the original copy of the document that you had earlier printed and uploaded. You should
submit the originals in exchange for the certificate and CTC’s.

If you have any difficulty, information or inquiries to make as regards CAC online portal for business name registration, limited company registration and incorporated trustees, do well to contact us on 08107804290 via Whatsapps or call.
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by mute1: 3:24pm On Jun 09, 2017
MyIncorp:
Having directly overseen the formation of more than 250 businesses over more than half a decade, I can say I have seen it all when it comes to dealing with issues of company formation in Nigeria.

In a series of post, I shall be put together questions and answers that will guide the prospective investor, business owner and stakeholders in the business world.

Enjoy.

Q1: What is a business name and why is it so important?
A business name is the name which a business trades under for commercial purposes. A business does not actually begin by formulating a business plan or opening a bank account. It starts from choosing a name. There is more to business name than just identity. A good business name is an advertising tool. Many large companies even hire expensive consultants to help them name their businesses, products and services.

Q2: I have this business name that I love so much, and I want to start a business under that name. Can I proceed immediately?
No. I think the next thing after you must have done a feasibility study on the business itself is to get the business name registered at the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC).

Q3: What do you mean by Corporate Affairs Commission?
Registration of business in Nigeria is the exclusive responsibility of the Corporate Affairs Commission, also known as CAC; which has its head office in Abuja, and branches in most states of the federation. The CAC is the federal government agency responsible for registration of all companies.

Q4: But I was told that the cost of registering/incorporating a company is expensive. Can't I go on with the business then register the name later?
My candid advice is No! Having your business registered definitely confers some credibility on it, given that it then acquires an identity. In many important business activities or relationships you may want to get involved in, details of your business registration will be required. You do not have to wait for such occasions before getting your business into the register of companies - you may miss an important opportunity just for that omission.

Q5: Is that all?
No. Using a business name similar or identical to that of a registered business name can land you into problems, including legal issues. Besides, if you have succeeded in doing business for several years under a name which has not been registered, that does not confer ownership of such business name on you. The CAC has to approve the availability of such a business name before you can proceed to file an application to get the name registered.

Q6: Does that mean I may forfeit a business name that I have been trading under and has become so popular in the marketplace just because I didn't register it at first?
 Yes. Due to your negligence, someone somewhere might have registered that name or a similar one. This means you will lose all the goodwill that name garnered over the years. Do you see that this situation is more expensive?

Q7: I understand that the Corporate Affairs Commission rejects registration of some business names. What are the likely reasons for such actions?
Good question! Officials at the CAC use their discretion in approving a business name submitted for search. Business names may be disapproved if such names existed or are similar to the ones on their database. At times, business names are disapproved due to their vague nature. Consider someone who submitted LAW FIRM as a business name!? More so, objects such as INSTITUTION, FOUNDATION and MINISTRY are not likely to be approved as a business name, except when such objects are used for registration of incorporated companies/trustees.

Q8: What difference exists between a business name and incorporation of company or trustee?
To start a business, you need to decide on a business name. You also need to choose a business format under which to operate. You need to know the requirements relating to membership of the company, ownership, etc to enable you make decisions you will remain happy with. The routine processes of registration can then be carried out on your behalf by an accredited professional.

Q9: Do you mean business names, companies, and trustees are formats?
Yes. It may be called business structures too. You will need to talk to an expert concerning this. However, let me give you a little of what you should know.

Three major classes of registration are available under the relevant law (the Companies and Allied Matters Act of 1990):

Registration of Business Names: This applies to sole proprietorships and partnerships. It is the simplest form of business structure. It is the one-man business, owned by a single person and called ‘enterprise' in the local parlance. The partnership applies to a business where two or more persons agree to jointly own and carry on the business. Given the fairly complex nature of partnerships, it is best to seek the services of experts to assist with the details.

Q10: What about incorporation of companies and trustees?
Incorporation of companies is the second class of registration available under this Act. Incorporation recognizes the business as a unique entity, separate from the owners, with statutory powers to own property and sue or be sued. There is thus the concept of limited liability, implying that the individual owner's (shareholder's) liability relating to the business is limited to the amount of his share subscription.

The third class under this Act is the Registration of Incorporated Trustee. This applies to public institutions and associations, operated by a Board of Trustees. This category includes: NGOs, churches, clubs, trade associations, political and civil groups etc.

Q11: Can an ‘enterprise' (business name) be used to carry on all kinds of business?

A: No. The choice of which structure to adopt will depend on the nature of the business, the ownership and evaluation of the benefits, and the pitfalls of each format.

Q12: Why do some people prefer to incorporate a limited liability company?

A: Limited liability companies have grown to become so popular among business owners due to the following reasons:

(I) There is limited liability for individual shareholder. This means that the personal assets of the directors and shareholders are protected in the event of the company winding up as long as the company is operated legally.

(II) The standing of the business is enhanced before financial institutions and other parties it does business with. Limited status also provides a certain level of confidence in the business from both suppliers and customers.

(III) It has a better access to credit and on even better terms.

(IV) The business is distinct from individual owners; the death of a member does not dissolve the company.

Q13: Can I handle the registration procedures myself?
Yes. But the challenge here is that you may receive many queries from the officials at the CAC if you don't comply with certain rules. Though it is cheaper to do the registration yourself, hiring the services of accredited professionals does pay in the long run. However, the CAC specifically requires that only accredited parties carry out the actual registration processing for incorporation of companies. The accredited professional you choose for the registration process should also be able to provide further advice. As a trained practitioner, he is also familiar with the registration requirements for each business format and processing procedure. However, with the new Company Regulation (with effect from January 1, 2013), the first director/subscriber can carry on registration process.

Q14: Now, how long does it take to get my business registered and receive a certificate?
The duration depends on the business format you are considering. Applications for registration of business names are usually processed at the zonal office where you submitted an application to be registered. However, applications for incorporation of companies/trustees are usually forwarded to Abuja for processing. This may take more time.

In either case, the duration also depends on how soon the Name Availability result is released.  Name search may take 3-5 days; and the issuance of business name certificates may take 7-21 days depending on the business format.

Q15: How much does it cost to have my business name registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission?
The fees depend on the accredited agent and how he bonds with you with his professional fees.

Q16: Do you mean having my business name or company registered with the CAC confers special rights or privileges or licenses to carry on my line of business?
No. Registration of any business name under the Companies and Allied Matters Act only confers on the proprietor or partners thereof of the right to carry on such business under a business name, that is, a name other than their own surname or surnames without any addition other than their forenames or Names or the initial of such forename or names. It does not confer any special right or privileges or any license to carry on the business itself.

Q17: Do you mean certain businesses require licenses, educational certificates or accreditation from an authorized body before venturing into them?
Yes. Before you register a company that requires a lot of technical and financial input, the CAC has devised new means of screening out touts and quacks from proclaiming to be ‘professionals' in a field that requires extreme expertise. Hence, it is required that you provide educational certificates, belong to a relevant professional body, and or must have gained several years of hands-on experience.

Businesses that fall into this category may include: Advertising/Public Relations, Alternative Medical Practice, Architects/Town Planners, Chartered Secretaries, General Tax Consultants, Hospital/Clinics, Building/Civil Engineers/Contractors, Food Products/Processing, Legal Practice & Consultancy, Human Resource Management, Schools etc.

Q18: How many directors can form a Private Limited Liability Company?
 Unlike a business name (sole proprietorship) that can be formed by only 1 person, a private limited liability company can be incorporated by 2-50 persons called directors or shareholders.

Q19: What does an Authorized Share Capital mean and why is it common to register a 1 million share capital?
The issue of Authorized Share Capital raises the question of how strong the company is and the worth of the company in monetary terms. Shares mean the amount of rights you own in a company. The minimum share capital we register is 1 million because if you register any less, you still pay the same cost of registration. Besides, a 1 million share capital is only nominal, and you don’t need to have 1 million naira in the bank before you incorporate a 1 million share capital company. If you own 500,000 worth of shares in a 1 million share capital company, it means you own 50% of the company.

There are some companies that the CAC statutorily specifies for a higher minimum share capital when registering them – Banks, Insurance Companies, Travel Agencies, Broking firms, Security Agencies, Registrars, Bureau de’ Change, Forex Companies, etc.

Authorized share capital is also referred to, at times, as registered capital. It is the total of the share capital which a limited company is allowed (authorized) to issue. It presents the upper boundary for the actually issued share capital.

Q20. What are the statutorily requirements for forming a private limited company in Nigeria?
A private limited liability company can be formed by 2-50 members (known as directors). They must not be people: of sound mind, declared bankrupt, less than 18 years of age, of fraudulent characters.

Q21: Why is the C.T.C so important?
The advantages of this is that with the CTC, you can present it to any company to inspect its objects for business, to help conduct businesses with banks, tender it for auctions, or government contracts, etc, when these big corporate institutions need them. If you don't have a CTC, you will force the company to do a search on your company at the CAC. Which means you will be billed for that search by the corporation. So, imagine how many times you will be shelling out money for company searches?

Q22: Do I get a CTC for a business name (Sole Proprietorship/Partnership)?
Yes. But it's quite different from that of incorporated companies/trustees.

Q23: I don’t have a permanent business address yet. I operate my business from home. Can I use my residential address as my business address?
Yes, you can. Then you can request for a change of address when you move to new location.

Q24: I quite understand why it is so important to register a business name or incorporate a company/trustee. It's in my best interest, isn't it?
Certainly! Imagine your organization being recognized, favoured and approved of by your target market/audience, government agencies, international organizations, financial institutions, or even your local community - just because you are duly registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission of the Federal Republic of Nigeria! The importance of your organization's certification with the nation's registrar of companies/trustee cannot be over-emphasized.

Do you have a question that is not listed above? Please, drop a question here.

@ MyIncorp, Pls i am a bit confused on what to put as nature of business to register my business name. I want to deal in buying and selling of goods mainly fashion wears & accessories and household items (Retail) but someone told me only retail wont be accepted. Please can i get 3 suggestions of nature of business in this line?
Thanks.
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by Amhappy(f): 3:37pm On Jun 29, 2017
MyIncorp:
Q25. I want to “upgrade” my existing business name to a private limited liability company, and retain the name. What are the steps to be taken?
Ans. To incorporate a Company out of an existing business name, the following steps must be taken:
1. Ensure that the existing business name has complied with the statutory annual returns filing (to date). For those that do not know, Business Names are required to submit details of their annual accounts to the CAC;
2. Apply for Business Name Cessation (a Letter from the Registrar General, stating that the business name cease to operate, will be given to , will be issued to you);
3. Submit a Company Name search for your preferred names. Usually, the names will be a resemblance of your previous business name. For example, if your business name was “Adaobi Media”, you may want to present “Adaobi Media Limited” as your preferred company name.
4. Once your company name has been approved, then you can proceed to incorporate the company.

Q26. Does the Corporate Affairs Commission receive tax remittances for Company Income Taxes, Value Added Taxes, and other type of taxes?
Ans. No. You are only required to submit a copy of your company’s audited account to the CAC.
There are three tiers of tax collecting agencies in Nigeria – The Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), various states board of Inland Revenue, and the Local Governments. The type of business structure you operate and your nature of business will determine what type of tax required of your business to pay. The basics, however, are Company Income Tax, VAT, Education Tax, Petroleum Tax, Technology Tax, Direct Assessment, and Personal Income Tax.
PIT and VAT are usually only paid by entrepreneurs who operate a business name. You will need to speak to your adviser about what type of tax is peculiar to your business structure.

Q27. I have just started the incorporation process and one of my preferred company names have been approved, but I want to slightly change the approved company name. How do I go about this?
Ans. If the initially approved named was “Mango Park Resort Limited”, but you want “Mango Park & Resort Limited”, you can take the approval notice to the CAC requesting that they delete the initially approved company name from their database and re-enter your new choice. You have a better chance of having “Mango Park & Resort Limited” approved for you. Otherwise, you can wait till the expiration of the 60 days validity to resubmit your new preference. But there isn’t a guarantee that your new name will be approved.

Q28. I want to register “Grage Schools”, but I was told the CAC is requesting my educational certificates to be able to register a school. How true is this?
Ans. Yes, to be able to register or incorporate certain nature of businesses, the CAC will request you provide a certificate of proficiency in the area(s) of business(es). For be able to operate a nursery and primary school, the owners must possess at least a NCE or any equivalent certificate. But for a Secondary School, the owner must possess at least a B.Ed.

Q29. I would like to know if I can add “company” as a suffix to a Business Name.
Ans. Yes, you can add the suffix “Company” to a business name. In addition, the following suffixes are suitable also: Ventures, Enterprise, Concept, Digital, International, Media, Zone, and many more.

Q30. Please, what is the difference between an Enterprise and a Venture?
Ans. The only difference is nomenclature. In the Nigerian context, they mean the same. Both are referred to as Business Name.
Thank you for this. After ages it's still very helpful.
Please What's the advantages and disadvantages of private company of less or 1m shares and 1m and above shares. How do you choose the right one for you. And what's the implication for any choice
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by DeConsultant: 5:03pm On Jul 06, 2017
Still on all corporate concerns, ranging from company registrations (Business name, Limited Companies, NGOs etc.) to getting your corporate account rolling on. Our professionals won't stop assisting you until we know that your company is stable with our services all encompassing with our Consultancy, Incorporation, Taxation and Services model. With services like FIRS TIN or TCC, EFCC SCUML, Annual returns, corporate audits, Post Incorporation and Other corporate services at your fingertips.

We also assist clients with any difficulty on their CAC online platform, all steps ranging from the start to the concluding aspect.

Name Search
Continuing the registration process
Inserting of all relevant information
Payment making (CAC and FIRS Stamp duty)
Downloading of documents
What to do with the downloaded documents.
Uploading the relevant documents.

We are proud to say we have assisted over 100 promoters and clients within Nigeria and Diaspora. Contact us today on 08107804290 via Whatsapps or call us.
Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by DeConsultant: 3:42pm On Jan 05, 2019
Happy New Year Nairalanders, the year 2018 was a remarkable year as we were able to assist quite a number of company promoters, proprietors, directors & trustees.
Gomez Corporate Consult LTD as a corporate firm will like to appreciate you all for your patronage and services handed over to our care.
Generally, over more than 100 companies (Business Name, Private Limited Companies, NGOs) was registered in the year 2018.
We are your one-stop corporate firm (with certified CAC accreditation, IPON Accreditation, Tax Consultants, NAFDAC Agents, Corporate Consultancy etc).

We assisted clients/ promoters in the following areas:
1. Company Registration (Business Name & Partnership)
2. Limited by Shares Companies (Private Limited Company, Public Limited Company, Unlimited Company, Limited by Guarantee)
3. Incorporated Trustees (Foundation, NGO, Club, Church, Initiative etc)
4. Intellectual Properties (Trademark, Patents, Specialized Designs)
5. Taxation (TIN Application, TCC Application, CIT Filings, VAT Filings etc)
6. EFCC SCUML Application
7. NAFDAC Registration
8. Post Incorporation Services (Annual Returns, Removal or Appointment of Directors, Alteration to the Memart etc)
9. Corporate Services (Consent Code Application, Company Search etc)
10. Consulting Services (Assisting clients/promoters who have ongoing/pending registrations at a subsidized fees).

Some of our services at affordable cost:
Business Name Registration: N20,000 (Certificate will be out within 5 working days)
Limited Liability Company (1 million share capital): N70,000 (Certificate will be out within 5 Working days)
Incorporated Trustees (NGO, Church, Mosque, Foundation, Club, Initiatives): N120,000 (Certificate will be out within 32 days (inclusive of the mandatory 28 days for public opinion).

Contact us by visiting our website: www.gomezconsult.com; call us on 08107804290 or 08102794272; mail us on info@gomezconsult.com.

Re: Company Formation In Nigeria: Q&A by wealthyprince(m): 12:13am On Jan 27, 2019
Good one.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

7 Corporate Gifts That Will Delight Your Clients / Being A Distributor Of Attachments And Weavons / 6 Tips For Starting A Successful Small Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.