Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,065 members, 7,818,181 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:39 AM

Where Are The Good Coders? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Where Are The Good Coders? (4237 Views)

Join The Nigeria Coders Community / Here Comes the awaited Coders Community / Learning Resource Center(lrc) From Programmers/developers/coders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by Laolballs: 12:53pm On May 11, 2016
dhtml18:
^^^How about working with a troll like me?
Any day ...
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by nduprincekc(m): 7:32pm On May 11, 2016
I don't know what to ....but I know deep inside me programming runs in my veins now currently building a online trading site

my email address is nduagubaemma@gmail.com

please help me guys in any aspect cus I know programming is the way forward.. thanks for opening this thread
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by Stconvict(m): 2:32pm On May 12, 2016
hitz:

I know and believe that.

Are you one of them ?
Yeah I'm one of them. But don't specialize in your domain.
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by romme2u: 2:11am On May 14, 2016
i wanted to write an epistle to the op. but i got some chills on me.

when u find a developer, give him/her a test job specifying what u want him to do in details. if u are satisfy with what he does, then grant him the full project else bounce.

personally i divide any work i outsourced into phases (whether design or coding). i then inform the prospective contractor that i will be working in phases in case i am not satisfied with his work or he fails to deliver. i then advanced him part of the first phase payment for commencement. if he does not agree to my terms we part, if he does not meet my expectation, i informed him to improve or lose the entire package and if he fails to deliver, i gladly cut my loss and move on.

u will always meet more people if u keep searching but not all will be able to work with u or satisfy ur level of expectation based on many factors within or outside their control.

bottom line: divide your projects into phases, pay per phase work, if he fails collect what he did and look for another to complete the project.

you may lose time and money in the short run but will find great pals along the way. fact is, it is going to take time before u find good buddies to roll with.

good luck in your search

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by Nobody: 5:54am On May 14, 2016
The dude above me is speaking sense
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by Nobody: 6:47am On May 14, 2016
common sense is 2 places above megrin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by hitz: 7:49am On May 14, 2016
romme2u:
i wanted to write an epistle to the op. but i got some chills on me.

when u find a developer, give him/her a test job specifying what u want him to do in details. if u are satisfy with what he does, then grant him the full project else bounce.

personally i divide any work i outsourced into phases (whether design or coding). i then inform the prospective contractor that i will be working in phases in case i am not satisfied with his work or he fails to deliver. i then advanced him part of the first phase payment for commencement. if he does not agree to my terms we part, if he does not meet my expectation, i informed him to improve or lose the entire package and if he fails to deliver, i gladly cut my loss and move on.

u will always meet more people if u keep searching but not all will be able to work with u or satisfy ur level of expectation based on many factors within or outside their control.

bottom line: divide your projects into phases, pay per phase work, if he fails collect what he did and look for another to complete the project.

you may lose time and money in the short run but will find great pals along the way. fact is, it is going to take time before u find good buddies to roll with.

good luck in your search

You've spoken well, but when you consider that most jobs you will get from nigerian cients will classified as "no budget" jobs. Not even low budget, you'd see that A-B testing idea cannot be feasible.

i didnt make money off most of the site's i have designed as a freelancer. Just using it to build up a portfolio. The coder bills the highest then i design the UI and creative and contract the content to foreigners cos thats still cheap. and kpam! the money is gone.

Your idea is valid but not so feasible in our clime.
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by guru01(m): 8:45am On May 14, 2016
I am available for hire, reach me via email [josiahaccounts @ gmail . com]
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by guente02(m): 12:06pm On May 14, 2016
@hitz
How long havr you been into web development/design?

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by hitz: 3:31pm On May 14, 2016
guente02:
@hitz
How long havr you been into web development/design?

User interface design, about 2 years. Other typed of graphic designs. Over 7 years. As a past time
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by guente02(m): 5:45pm On May 14, 2016
hitz:

User interface design, about 2 years. Other typed of graphic designs. Over 7 years. As a past time
Oh really because I'm only starting out and would like to know the track to follow to becoming really good in web development specifically.
I've gotten a reasonable hang of HTML and CSS and would like to know what to do next. My plan is to be very giiiiiid with front end first then delve to the back at a later time.
Your Advice Pls
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by romme2u: 12:48am On May 15, 2016
hitz:

You've spoken well, but when you consider that most jobs you will get from nigerian clients will classified as "no budget" jobs. Not even low budget, you'd see that A-B testing idea cannot be feasible.

i didnt make money off most of the site's i have designed as a freelancer. Just using it to build up a portfolio. The coder bills the highest then i design the UI and creative and contract the content to foreigners cos thats still cheap. and kpam! the money is gone.

Your idea is valid but not so feasible in our clime.

Ete any job with no budget is a free work. like i always advised my friends, don't negotiate for any job u've got no understanding how to implement.

web development jobs should be negotiated by an experienced web developer who knows all the parts necessary to deliver the job. outside that the project will fail woefully during execution and u will incur more hidden cost u didn't see while negotiating. it took me more than two years to discover this after series of failed projects and financial losses.

my advice is partner with a developer and let him do the negotiating while u are fully aware of the total cost. anytime a prospective client approaches you for a website, call ur partner (developer) and sit together in a round table with your client for the negotiations. do not negotiate for a job and then find a developer to do it for u else the following might happen:

1. the project scope may increase as clients are fond of making outrageous demands in the middle of the project. your developer won't like it and may decide to walk out in the middle of the project or demand more pay with duration extension.

2.the developer may demand fees higher than what the client agreed to pay and u may be stranded looking for another developer.

3.u may not understand feature specifications so as to lock in it during the contract signing, hence client will use this to make unending functionality request during project execution which will increase ur overhead cost and your developer may abscond.

The rule of outsourcing is, do not outsource jobs u don't know jack about because u may always be on the losing end as u may not know if the deliverables is good or bad. i have spent time learning UI, UX and design theory, so i know what i am expecting from any designer i outsourced my jobs to. i also spend a considerable amount of time implementing my design as well as working with the designer throughout the design phase.

i would have told u more but let me spare u form the boredom of my developer's world as i have face exactly the same problems u wrote in ur original post. i am still looking for a reliable designer with an eye in branding and marketing i can turn to whenever i have big jobs.
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by hitz: 5:00am On May 15, 2016
guente02:

Oh really because I'm only starting out and would like to know the track to follow to becoming really good in web development specifically.
I've gotten a reasonable hang of HTML and CSS and would like to know what to do next. My plan is to be very giiiiiid with front end first then delve to the back at a later time.
Your Advice Pls

My advice. Observe and copy.

During my research. I check out a lot of well designed sites in the niche I'm to design. And begin taking different elements I like and create an hybrid.
I also observe UX. Steal engagement strategies.. And from there, you'll naturally see what to change and what not.

Checkout awwwards.com for some ideas to observe.
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by guente02(m): 9:42pm On May 15, 2016
hitz:

My advice. Observe and copy.

During my research. I check out a lot of well designed sites in the niche I'm to design. And begin taking different elements I like and create an hybrid.
I also observe UX. Steal engagement strategies.. And from there, you'll naturally see what to change and what not.

Checkout awwwards.com for some ideas to observe.

Thanks
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by hitz: 10:34am On May 16, 2016
guente02:

Thanks

To buttress my point..

Here's a UI layout designed for a news aggregation portal.. Got my ideas from several other aggregators and sites and mixed it all up.

The real power though will be the site's efficiency and engagement. Stuff you can't see on a draft but the notes that accompany it..

Green and white with an odd pink for grabbing attention.

Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by GoodBoi1(m): 11:58am On May 16, 2016
Good developers would want to work in companies where software development is the core. I don't think any good developer would want to remain in a digital marketing and branding company except someone who comfortable being a CMS expert, not saying it's bad. If you are that good in FE development, you can join a software company where your skills will be appreciated.
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by guente02(m): 4:18pm On May 16, 2016
hitz:

To buttress my point..

Here's a UI layout designed for a news aggregation portal.. Got my ideas from several other aggregators and sites and mixed it all up.

The real power though will be the site's efficiency and engagement. Stuff you can't see on a draft but the notes that accompany it..

Green and white with an odd pink for grabbing attention.

This is just about awesome.
Whats your design work flow like?
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by hitz: 7:22pm On May 16, 2016
GoodBoi1:
Good developers would want to work in companies where software development is the core. I don't think any good developer would want to remain in a digital marketing and branding company except someone who comfortable being a CMS expert, not saying it's bad. If you are that good in FE development, you can join a software company where your skills will be appreciated.

You have a point. But the company parole is limiting for some (like me). Freelance allows me the adventure and better opportunities.
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by hitz: 7:39pm On May 16, 2016
guente02:

This is just about awesome.
Whats your design work flow like?

To be brief...

I define site goals

Carry out research.. look at competition, similar sites.

Draft about 3 layout concepts on paper (determine color scheme if needed)

Design mock up on Affinity designer for Mac.

Fin

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by guente02(m): 8:18pm On May 16, 2016
hitz:

To be brief...

I define site goals

Carry out research.. look at competition, similar sites.

Draft about 3 layout concepts on paper (determine color scheme if needed)

Design mock up on Affinity designer for Mac.

Fin

And you freelance on sites like?
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by hitz: 9:07pm On May 16, 2016
guente02:

And you freelance on sites like?
I freelance offline
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by dovetark: 12:39pm On Jul 18, 2016
DonSegmond:
Forget about it. I tried hiring programmers for pay too because I want to help my own instead of working with people from india, china, eastern europe, but guess what? The C.Vs were very weak. You would think they were all very gainfully employed, one even had the audacity to quote rates in dollars, given that his skill level from what I've seen shows him to be a junior programmer at best. LOL

Noticing that a lot of Naija programmers are weak skill wise, I figured I could give back by mentoring and teaching people how to code 1on1 via email/skype/hangouts. Only one person took me up on the offer and sadly they never did finished.

I've seen some "smart" people on this forum, but smart doesn't make for a good software engineer. I hope with time tho, folks can realise how much they can transform their life in this lucrative industry by being humble and collaborating with others.

If this window of opportunity is still open, I am willing to learn...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are You A Newbie Java Programmer / Simple Factorial Challenge / Oracle2000 For All Banks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.