Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,474 members, 7,819,725 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:46 PM

Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August (3672 Views)

Poll: Which team will win their first 3 points?

Tottenham Hotspur: 27% (3 votes)
Liverpool: 45% (5 votes)
Draw: 27% (3 votes)
This poll has ended

Manchester City Vs Chelsea (3 - 0) On 16th August 2015 / Crystal Palace Vs Arsenal (1 - 2) On 16th August 2015 / Chelsea Vs Tottenham Hotspur (2 - 2) On 8th May 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by Cristalz(f): 10:59pm On Aug 13, 2009
Liverpool go over to Whitehart Lane for their opening game of the season against hosts Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday afternoon.

Liverpool's excellent record against their top four rivals last season was undermined by a string of disappointing home draws against the lesser lights of the league. Benitez has since decided the solution to this problem is to employ more attacking full-backs and has spent £17m recruiting England defender Glen Johnson in the transfer window.
At left-back, Benitez is likely to ask Argentina youngster Emilano Insua to provide the threat. The technically proficient defender has had a good run in the side in pre-season and is a much better option than Andrea Dossena.
But Liverpool's title aspirations don't rest on the overlapping runs of Johnson and Insua, they hinge on the fitness of star striker Fernando Torres. The Spaniard's injury problems following Euro 2008 meant he was in and out of the Liverpool side last season and he has endured another long summer after travelling to South Africa to take part in the Confederations Cup with Spain. Despite the return of Andriy Voronin, who spent a productive year in the Bundesliga with Hertha Berlin, and Benitez's vocal support of David Ngog, the 25-year-old remains Liverpool's only real threat up front and as such, Rafa is likely to continue pairing Torres with Steven Gerrard, a combination that proved very effective last season.
But with Gerrard advanced, Xabi Alonso lost to Real Madrid and his £20m replacement from Roma Alberto Aquilani out for eight weeks with an ankle injury, Liverpool could be left exposed in central midfield: a position where they were so strong last season.
Still, Benitez is confident that his team can kick on from last season's second-placed finish and it seems that the manager's focus has now shifted from his early successes in the UEFA Champions League to lifting a first Premier League title for Liverpool.
One thing is certain this season.  .  .Liverpool will hotly be in the fight for the trophy.

Tottenham Hotspur seem set to begin the new season with a bang.  .  .evidence, signing of Peter Crouch! grin The lanky striker just might make an impact for Spurs.
Also Sebastien Bassong is set to make his debut for the club against Liverpool despite serving only one game of a two-match ban with Newcastle. Defender Jonathan Woodgate might be missing in this game though as he recently underwent surgery to take care of a groin problem. Spurs boss Harry Redknapp is short on cover at the back because Michael Dawson is also out, with an Achilles injury.
Ledley King should be able to face Liverpool on Sunday but is unable to play matches in quick succession. Sebastien Bassong has been brought in from Newcastle to bolster the defence.
Redknapp has plenty of options in attack, however - with Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Robbie Keane and Roman Pavlyuchenko fighting for two places.
"I've played with Roman, Robbie and Jermain in training - and they are all fantastic players,'' said Crouch. "We've four strikers battling it out for two spots. That is healthy competition and has to be good for the club.''
So come on, Spurs.  .  .show us what you've got.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by MrCrackles(m): 11:09pm On Aug 13, 2009
Crizzle don come again o. . .
Are u going through the pain of setting up threads till the end of the season?
For how long?
Do you want to singlehandedly crash the forum?
Abi wetin be dis now? grin cheesy
Threads like this dont go beyond the first page, i dont think its cool jare! tongue
My two cents. . .I STILL LOVE U
Come to bed when u finish! tongue kiss
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by Cristalz(f): 11:27pm On Aug 13, 2009
It's part of my 'job' description o. sad Oga's orders. grin
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by MrCrackles(m): 11:29pm On Aug 13, 2009
Cristalz:

I am the only oga jare, if you are talking about Seun, den knock it off. . .

Topic
This will be tight, but Tottenham's injury situation will come back and haunt them!
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by manmustwac(m): 1:02am On Aug 14, 2009
we go beat dem if dem lucky it will be a draw
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by vislabraye(m): 2:28am On Aug 14, 2009
Let's wait and see. But Liverpool is favorite even with half squad,

Cristalz:

MrCrackles:

Crizzle don come again o. . .
Are u going through the pain of setting up threads till the end of the season?
For how long?
Do you want to singlehandedly crash the forum?
Abi wetin be dis now? grin cheesy
Threads like this dont go beyond the first page, i dont think its cool jare! tongue
My two cents. . .I STILL LOVE U
Come to bed when u finish! tongue kiss

Oga and madam, make un exchange numbers, E be like say una like una selves
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by tkb417(m): 8:16am On Aug 14, 2009
1-1 it will end cool
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by Emperoh(m): 11:11am On Aug 14, 2009
WOuldn't it be nice to include local time for games and possibly the local satelite tv channels showing them?
Just my one pence
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by bydot1(m): 1:14pm On Aug 14, 2009
It going to be a close one, i sense, ,.,., if their wil be a winner that wil be going to l'pool, ,.,, 1-2 i predict
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by bgees(m): 2:07pm On Aug 14, 2009
With Keane and Crouch leading the spurs attack we surely have to be on our toes. despite our injury concerns,we can still grind out a victory.

a Liverpool win!
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by bgees(m): 2:15pm On Aug 14, 2009
@ cristalz,

u write so well.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by vikiviko(m): 6:00pm On Aug 14, 2009
The Reds are at it again, wish them luck at the Tottenham.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by rockyfela(m): 12:41pm On Aug 16, 2009
I think it would be a tough match considering the fact that keane and crouch would be going against their former clubs. Also tottenham is known for dealing with the big teams at home and considering the injury stricken Liverpool team that would be suffering the loss of almost all their defensive players and most importantly Gerrad is out of action. It would be close but liverpool might do this. I expect a draw.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by guvera: 1:41pm On Aug 16, 2009
I want to urge all of us to play our part in supporting a superb tactician, lover of the Kop, and his fabulous team. The team’s not infallible, but we must remember that it’s not always sunny, and neither does it have to be.

We DO have something worth playing for and believing in. The question is are we willing to do what it takes to stand together, knowing that it squarely means risking falling together?

Is this our year? It always is. We’re Liverpoollians, We believe, we’ve been written off countless times in our past, but we remain steadfast Scousers. We’re the Reds, and no one ever will be.

Let’s not allow our team to walk alone. Neither should we ever. Good day to all.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by ibdguy: 3:12pm On Aug 16, 2009
Great to see that there are Liverpool supporters here on Nairaland.
Liverpool came ever so close last season, but ultimately fell that little bit short, needless to say the expectation for fans for this team, for this season is nothing less than H-U-G-E!!!
After a thoroughly miserable pre-season, the loss of Xabi Alonso, and only two major signings in Johnson, and in the 'we won't see him on the pitch until October' Aquilani, I'm personally a little nervous about this fixture.
There are easier teams in the Prem to have to face on your opening day, and the men from White Heart Lane are certainly not in that category.
But on the upside, though the corresponding fixture ended in an unlikely loss for Liverpool last season, the Anfield faithful will remember the last competitive game Liverpool had on the last day of the season was against Tottenham, and that we won at a stroll.
Guarantee your hearts to flutter, and one or two hairy moments most especially in defence. Watch for Johnson's dubious defensive abilities, but should Lucas step to the fore, Mascherano forget Barca and remember the quality Liverpool player that he is, and of course Kuyt, Gerrard, and Torres to all come to the party then my word a hard fought victory for Liverpool should be on the cards.
Well that's me off to regulate my BP before kick-off!!! grin
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by ibdguy: 3:20pm On Aug 16, 2009
rockyfela:

I think it would be a tough match considering the fact that keane and crouch would be going against their former clubs. Also tottenham is known for dealing with the big teams at home and considering the injury stricken Liverpool team that would be suffering the loss of almost all their defensive players and most importantly Gerrad is out of action. It would be close but liverpool might do this. I expect a draw.

I think you will find that Gerrard has been cleared as fit to play, and maybe that fact alone might tip your prediction of a draw into a winning game for 'Pool. No doubt as I have already alluded to, no doubt a bit of a nail biter.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by khanye(m): 3:34pm On Aug 16, 2009
I see Spurs winnings this cool
I see Defoe scoring!
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by follypimpi(m): 3:50pm On Aug 16, 2009
This shld be intresting.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by SUKKIE(m): 3:52pm On Aug 16, 2009
I' m really edgy for this one. YNWA
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by Sauron1: 3:59pm On Aug 16, 2009
follypimpi:

This shld be intresting.

The difference between Man Utd and other teams are is the strength in depth.
Look at Liverpool's bench FFS? No wonder they fall apart once Torres/Gerrard cop injuries.
Other clubs have a good starting XI but an abysmal reserves. . . . .The first team ALONE cannot win EPL titles.

I cannot wait for winter to BITE.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by Krayola2(m): 4:01pm On Aug 16, 2009
Come On Liverpool!! Watch Torres set place on fire!! grin
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by Sauron1: 4:18pm On Aug 16, 2009
Liverpool is shyte. . . . . . .2 centre-halves nodding themselves.
Blimey. . . . .Liverpool will finish 4th.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by Borat1: 4:19pm On Aug 16, 2009
If Torres doesnt score today, i'll eat a live frog and wash it down with drainage water.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by Sauron1: 4:22pm On Aug 16, 2009
~Borat~:

If Torres doesnt score today, i'll eat a live frog and wash it down with drainage water.

Cyanide will be better. . . . .Why eat a frog when cyanide is affordable.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by chic2pimp(m): 4:22pm On Aug 16, 2009
~Borat~:

u must do it oooooo
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by chic2pimp(m): 4:28pm On Aug 16, 2009
Aaron lennon has no ball control. All he does is push and run like nani
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by Sauron1: 4:29pm On Aug 16, 2009
chic2pimp:

Aaron lennon has no ball control. All he does is push and run like nani

Drogba, Tevez, Fabregas, Adebayor and Gerrard are all guilty of this.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by SUKKIE(m): 4:31pm On Aug 16, 2009
Our midfield is depleted man,we missing Alonso.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by chic2pimp(m): 4:33pm On Aug 16, 2009
wot a save from reina. Great skill from modric. Olodo robbie keane
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by Sauron1: 4:33pm On Aug 16, 2009
SUKKIE:

Our midfield is depleted man,we missing Alonso.

The midfield is non-existent. . . . . .Lucas is a liability.

What a chance!!!!!
Robbie Keane!!!  Miss of the season.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by SUKKIE(m): 4:34pm On Aug 16, 2009
That was close o.nice1 Riena
Re: Tottenham Hotspur(2) Vs Liverpool(1) On Sunday 16th August by Krayola2(m): 4:35pm On Aug 16, 2009
This game is puttin me to sleep

That header was close. . . shoulda scores

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Liverpool Fc Vs Arsenal (live From Anfield, Sunday 15th August 2010 @4pm) / Real Madrid Vs Valencia (0 - 0) On 8th April,2012 / Chelsea Vs Everton [1 - 1] On Saturday 4th Dec 2010

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.