Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,828 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:06 PM

Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? (50490 Views)

Why Most Nigerians Go To Malaysia Instead Of Europe And America / You Think You Know Nigeria: Which City Gate Is This? (photo) / A City In Nigeria With 24/7 Electricity Supply! (2) (3) (4)

Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by Ndipe(m): 9:44am On Nov 19, 2006
Can anyone take a guess? I heard Houston has the most Nigerians living in the USA, with an estimated population hovering close to 80,000. Even in smaller cities, there are still a fair number of Nigerians living there.

One of them, [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodlawn,_Prince_George's_County,_Maryland]Woodlawn in Maryland[/url] holds the distinction as having the highest percentage of Nigerians in the USA (I think the ranking was meant to reflect the population of Nigerians per the size/square mile of any city in the USA).
Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by Drusilla(f): 10:06am On Nov 19, 2006
New York City

Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by kimba(m): 5:24pm On Nov 19, 2006
Yes, me too, Houston

Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by Nobody: 12:28am On Nov 20, 2006
Dallas, Atlanta and Baltimore area have beaucoup de Nigerians.
They are all over the place,these Nigerians sef!!!

Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by casper(m): 12:38am On Nov 20, 2006
atl, md,
Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by LOVE4(f): 7:30am On Nov 20, 2006
I'll say Houston,ATL and Maryland,there are bare 9jas there
Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by Hotstepper(f): 1:59am On Nov 21, 2006
chicago nko

Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by dolliepie(f): 2:01am On Nov 21, 2006
u guys sld come to maryland,they are evrywhere,even where u donot expect to see them.
Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by EvilSlayer(m): 2:13am On Nov 21, 2006
dollie-pie:

u guys sld come to maryland,they are evrywhere,even where u donot expect to see them.

Come to Dallas and see. They are taking over, go to the cab stand at the airport DFW, it's a motor pack in Nigeria.
Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by Ndipe(m): 2:22am On Nov 21, 2006
I think Houston is the undisputed city with the most Nigerians in the USA.

And Texas, I think would have the most Nigerians, but Maryland sef, I understand is another Nigerian hub. I can understand houston because their weather is similar to our Nigerian weather. I just don't know why Maryland is a magnet for Nigerians especially with their cold winters.
Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by dolliepie(f): 2:26am On Nov 21, 2006

Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by egbon(m): 3:38pm On Nov 21, 2006
The last I heard, the number of Nigerians in Houston was approximately 100,000. Rather than all these gestimates, does anyone know of a site or organization that can provide you with an accurate data?
Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by BlackMamba(m): 5:15pm On Nov 24, 2006
Maybe we're not counting New York City. I don't think there's any corner you can stand for minute without running into a Naija.
Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by birdman(m): 7:41pm On Nov 24, 2006
It used to be Md. Now its Houston (NY is not even close).
Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by shango(m): 3:08am On Nov 25, 2006
Maryland is a STATE

Houston is a CITY.

Houston has the largest cluster of nigerians within a city in the US.

Maryland, esp. PG County is the STATE in the US that has the most Nigerians.

Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by ity(m): 3:54pm On Nov 25, 2006
[color=Black][/color]HELLO

WE HAVE ALOT OF NIGERIAN IN HOUSTON,TEXAS. HERE IN TYLER WHERE I LIVE THERE ARE NOT SO MANY BUT WE HAVE THEM,
Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by edobabe(f): 6:07pm On Nov 25, 2006
houston TX.

Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by EvilSlayer(m): 7:25am On Nov 30, 2006
What attracts Nigerians to Houston, the weather? Arizona is hotter but don't have that much Nigerians there.
Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by Ndipe(m): 7:29am On Nov 30, 2006
The oil industries in Houston, along with its humidity may have been a magnet in attracting Nigerians to live there. But the heat in America can at times be unbearable, even worse than Naija. My cousins who were visiting from Naija were complaining of the humidity in Maryland over the summer. They told me that the weather in MD was hotter than Naija!

Quite unbelievable
Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by dolliepie(f): 7:22pm On Dec 01, 2006
yeah,ndipe dats true pple were almost walkn around naked durind d summer,was so so hot.
Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by Ndipe(m): 6:19am On Dec 02, 2006
@dolliepie, even way back in Naija, my aunt used to tell us that some residents of MD died of heat strokes. Could not believe it, neither did I know much about the ailment until I moved out here and found out that some residents, particularly the elderly are most vulnerable to heat strokes in the East Coast and the Chicago area. Baltimore is a nice city, but I understand, it is a crime infested city. Visited Columbia, a wealthy enclave of MD. I was in Silver Spring during my mini vacation, and I tell you, Nigerians, plenty for that area. Not too long ago, I read an article about the number of Nigerians living in MD. The population alone for Silver Spring was about 15,000 (hope my memory serves me well).

But what is the main attraction that lures Nigerians to Maryland? The place just did not really entice me, apart from my family members. Crime is too much, and real estate, though not as ridiculous as California, still is expensive.
Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Dec 02, 2006
Ndipe:

@dolliepie, even way back in Naija, my aunt used to tell us that people in MD died of heat strokes. Could not believe it, neither did I know what much about the ailment until I moved out here and found out that some residents, particularly the elderly are most vulnerable to heat strokes in the East Coast and the Chicago area. Baltimore is a nice city, but I understand, it is a crime infested city. Visited Columbia, a wealthy enclave of MD. I was in Silver Spring during my mini vacation, and I tell you, Nigerians, plenty for that area. Not too long ago, I read an article about the number of Nigerians living in MD. The population alone for Silver Spring was about 15,000 (hope my memory serves me well).

But what is the main attraction that lures Nigerians to Maryland? The place just did not really entice me, apart from my family members. Crime is too much, and real estate, though not as ridiculous as California, still is expensive.

Honey there's nothing wealthy about Columbia Maryland,if you want to see wealthy in Maryland you should be going to Potomac,Bethesda area.
Lived in Montgomery County,MD for a while.
We also wonder why you'll rather live in a tiny little old house that could go under by the next California earthquake.

Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by Ndipe(m): 10:55pm On Dec 02, 2006
When you visit California and experience the idyllic weather, the carefree nature of its inhabitants, the gorgeous scenery and the fact that earthquakes occur randomly, perhaps, that may convince you to quickly call(1-800-Go-Uhaul) to ship your belongings to California and live in a 'tiny old house'
Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by Sista(f): 6:25am On Dec 03, 2006
The last I heard it was Houston, in fact there are a lot of Nigerian families who must have been there for a long time because many of them own homes.
Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by Nobody: 6:26am On Dec 03, 2006
@ ndipe,I've been to  Holly wood,LA,Santa Ana.
The weather was gorgeous I agree but I'll only like to vacation there.
One can't buy any decent houses there.

go down south,you can get a mansion for what you pay for your condos in Cali.
Remember that when mama and papa decide to visit,that small house no go do lol.
You don't want your guests sleeping on the couch lol.

Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by Ndipe(m): 8:57am On Dec 03, 2006
California has a reputation for its soaring real estate prices, but at the same time, those prices are different based on the locale. The east bay, like the oakland hills, nice and picturesque city is quite reasonable. You can snag a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo for under 400k. You just have to scout around for the best deal in a nice neighbourhood. And it pays also to haggle to bring down the price. Dont get me wrong, babyosis, I am not justifying the ridiculous prices of real estate in the bay area, but some people have choosen to live here rather than move out to other places. Atlanta, Detroit, and Dallas may be cheap but from news reports, the soaring rate of foreclosure in those three cities is probably above the national average. I was surprised when I read it, because one can get a decent house in Dallas for under 150k. It is a fact, since my cousin lives there. So, if the foreclosure rate is high, then that tells you their economy is not doing well.

While in MD last week, my aunt drove me around the city, showing me the prices of some houses in the Montogomery county area. She told me that a townhouse at her previous neighbourhood was going for 600k. No kidding. I was flabbergasted, because you can get a townhouse in the San Jose area for about that price, except the size would be relatively small. So, I'd rather choose to buy a 600k house in San Jose, with a relative spacious size and deal with the abundance of sunshine than be stuck inside my big mansion in the south, under gloomy weather.

Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by Nobody: 11:36am On Dec 03, 2006
Nigerian plenty past for New York.

egbon:

The last I heard, the number of Nigerians in Houston was approximately 100,000. Rather than all these gestimates, does anyone know of a site or organization that can provide you with an accurate data?

Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by justin04(m): 2:31pm On Dec 03, 2006
New York ofcourse. I entered a Nigerian restaurant in Brooklyn, I swear it brought back memories. I think i was in a Bukateria.

Houston is a close second, followed by Chicago.

Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by marlet01(m): 9:16pm On Dec 03, 2006
of course it's newyork.
Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by Jalal(m): 9:19pm On Dec 03, 2006
iNTERESTING
Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by soulpatrol(f): 10:02pm On Dec 03, 2006
abeg keep it coming with the info. i'm about to take a trip down south myself, so e be like say i'm going to add to the population boom for now. cool can someone tell me the cool places to visit?
Re: Which City In America Has The Most Nigerians? by katherinae(f): 11:35pm On Dec 03, 2006
TEXAS TEXAS TEXAS, so many igbos there wow, its amazing.

18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings / Ahmadu Chanchangi Is Dead (Chanchangi Airlines Chairman) / Us Conference Visa