Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,794 members, 7,820,788 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:39 PM

UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August (4496 Views)

Poll: Who wins this round?

Celtic: 13% (5 votes)
Arsenal: 84% (32 votes)
Draw: 2% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Manchester United Vs Club Brugge : UCL Play-off (3 - 1) On 18th August 2015 / Burnley Vs Chelsea (1 - 3) ON 18th August 2014 / Barcelona Vs Celtic: UCL (6 - 1 ) On 11 December 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by khanye(m): 3:34pm On Aug 17, 2009
[b]The Auld Enemy

Having already seen off the challenge of Dinamo Moscow, Celtic head into a daunting-looking tie against Arsenal chasing the glittering prize of Champions League qualification.

Whilst the Hoops will undoubtedly be the underdogs, this still promises to be a stiff test for the Gunners, and manager Tony Mowbray has admitted the game is crucial to the Scots.

Of course, Celtic are no strangers to Europe’s top competition and have already beaten the likes of Milan and Manchester United at Celtic Park in recent seasons, meaning Arsenal dare not take their trip to Glasgow for granted.

Mowbray’s men warmed up for the game with a 3-1 away win over Aberdeen at the weekend, which bodes well for their midweek exploits.

Winger Aiden McGeady grabbed a brace to inspire the Hoops to victory, and Celtic certainly possess enough firepower to cause the Gunners problems.

The home side will also be boosted by what will surely be a fantastic atmosphere in Glasgow, with plenty of intensity as Scotland takes on England.

First team coach Mark Venus has already admitted he is expecting a special night and is hoping that the Premier League outfit underestimate his side.

Dare Not Lose

Arsenal, meanwhile, head into their fourth consecutive appearance in the qualifiers with the one tie they probably wanted the least.

Previous seasons have seen the likes of Twente, Sparta Prague and Dinamo Zagreb simply swept aside, but this promises to be a much tougher assignment altogether.

Indeed how the Gunners’ young players cope with the intensity of the atmosphere at Celtic Park may go a long way to deciding the tie.

Arsenal stopper Manuel Almunia has insisted it would be a tragedy if the north Londoners failed to make it through, yet their weekend’s exploits should see them head to Scotland full of confidence.

Despite many commentators having written Arsene Wenger’s side off before a ball had even been kicked, the Gunners began their campaign in fine style at Goodison Park on Saturday.

Everton were crushed 6-1 in a superb display that must have sent chills through those watching up in Glasgow.

FORM GUIDE
Last Five Results

Celtic

Aug 15: Aberdeen 1-3 Celtic
Aug 8: Man City 2-1 Celtic
Aug 5: Dinamo Moscow 0-2 Celtic
Aug 1: Celtic 1-2 Sunderland
July 29: Celtic 0-1 Dinamo Moscow

Arsenal

Aug 15: Everton 1-6 Arsenal
Aug 8: Valencia 2-0 Arsenal
Aug 2: Arsenal 3-0 Rangers
Aug 1: Arsenal 2-1 Atletico Madrid
July 29: Hannover 0-1 Arsenal

TEAM NEWS

Celtic

Glenn Loovens is a doubt whilst Stephen McManus is definitely out. Shaun Maloney should be fit and Gary Caldwell is expected to return to the defence.

Possible Starting XI: Boruc, Hinkel, Caldwell, Loovens, O’Dea, N’Guemo, Donati, McGeady, McDonald, Fortune, Maloney

Arsenal

After missing the trip to Everton on Saturday, both Theo Walcott and Abou Diaby should return to the squad after injury.

Possible Starting XI: Almunia, Sagna, Gallas, Vermaelen, Clichy, Song, Fabregas, Denilson, Arshavin, Bendtner, Van Persie

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Celtic

Republic of Ireland international Aiden McGeady bagged a brace at the weekend against Aberdeen, and Mowbray will be hoping he can continue that form on Tuesday night.

The 23-year-old admitted this weekend that he feels Arsenal are beatable and he will be hoping to prove that at Celtic Park.

Arsenal

Andrey Arshavin could make his Champions League debut for the Gunners, having been ineligible last season, and his trickery may be exactly what is required to break down Celtic.

The Russian has flourished in the Premier League but will undoubtedly relish his European bow and he could be the man to make the difference.

PREDICTION

This is undoubtedly a difficult fixture for both sides, although European nights at Celtic Park often bring out the best in the Hoops.

A fantastic atmosphere will await the Gunners, and whilst a win may be a tough ask, they possess enough quality to grab at least one away goal and give themselves the upper hand in the tie.

Celtic 2-2 Arsenal[/b]

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1716/champions-league/2009/08/17/1445313/champions-league-play-off-preview-celtic-arsenal
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by FBS: 8:40am On Aug 18, 2009
And with some players missing (due to injury) for The Arses? undecided
Not an easy match eh?
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by Gooner2(m): 10:22am On Aug 18, 2009
The Island seemed pretty dry this morning as it had been pouring with rain on the mainland when I left. That aside, Abou Diaby is back in the squad to face Celtic tonight and he is in contention for a starting place as Cesc and Denilson and Sagna face late fitness tests today.

Speaking to the press yesterday, Arsene said;

“Theo Walcott is not fit but Abou Diaby is with the squad here,”

Apparently Walcott failed a fitness test yesterday as his back issue flared up again. However, he was more positive concerning the others.

“From Everton we have Sagna who has a knock; we will make a decision about him tomorrow. We have some uncertainties about Fabregas and Denilson as well but we will make a decision about them tomorrow as well. It is more than 50 per cent that Cesc will play, much more. He has a tight hamstring; I took him off at Everton because of that. Denilson has a groin problem.”

For me that is all positive as Eboue could come in at right back for Sagna and I won’t be surprised if the boss decides to start Diaby in place of Denilson. With Cesc he seemed almost certain that he would play so it’s more of who comes in for who rather than who will play where.

I must admit that sentiment aside, we do have a tough game on our hands and its important that we silence the home fans at Parkhead possibly with an early goal as if we’re still locked at 0-0 with 10 minutes to play, the 12th has been know n to tilt the tie in favour of the hosts. On the line up, Arsene said;

“We will play the best possible team tomorrow, the team which I think has the best chance to win the game. It is a very important game for us because we know what is at stake and we know how difficult it is to play here.”

I don’t think there is more to be said on that. Everyone knows how massive the tie is and it’s important that we give our best in the first leg as an emphatic result away will almost certainly mean qualification for the group phase. On the game in general, he had this to say

“You expect a massive support at Celtic. Scotland is always a very special atmosphere, a special noise in the stands. But we have played everywhere in Europe and we can deal with that. It will be down to us and how well we play. We don’t go into this game with fear. We go with respect for Celtic, but we know it is a very important game for us and we want to come home with a positive result.

I always prepare my team first with determination and not with fear. We have played everywhere and have good experience in the Champions League. But every game is different and we know what we will face on Tuesday night – a very determined Celtic team with quality.”

As it’s our very first competitive fixture with them (rather surprisingly), Declan Taylor of Arsenal.com caught up with Ronnie Cully of the Glasgow Evening Times for the lowdown on Tony Mowbray’s side. He had this to say on tonight’s game;

“I think it’s to Celtic’s benefit that the first game is at home because I would’ve feared for them going to the Emirates first of all. I think Celtic fans are aware of just how good Arsenal are – they compete in the latter stages of the Champions League year after year while if Celtic emerge from the Group Stage it is a huge achievement.

The draw couldn’t have been tougher for Celtic, with Moscow and now Arsenal, but they achieved what many folk didn’t think was possible against Dinamo. They need to come away from the first game with something positive – if they can sneak a win anything can happen at the Emirates.”

Tony Mowbray too has been speaking rather codedly if I may say about Celtic’s prospects in tonight’s game. He said;

“There is a cunning plan, but, of course, if it doesn’t work, then it’s there for you to beat me across the head with it afterwards.”

Not letting much slip are you Tony eh? Well I hope it doesn’t mean subjecting us to some horrible singing from Phil Brown before kick off or the team bus pelted with rotten eggs and tomatoes on the way to the game. Anything other than that and I think the boys will be fine! He has also come out on record to state that he is an admirer of Arsene Wenger. I must confess that I was impressed by the way his West Brom team organized their attack last year even if they were not the most skilfull players but they were willing to play football the way it should be played. He said;

“Who doesn’t admire Arsène, He has been at one of the biggest clubs in the world for so long, and he can be there for as long as he wants to be, because of what he has achieved. He’s thoughtful about the way he builds his team, and he’s also got total control of the club because of what he’s done. Arsène hasn’t won the league in [five] years, but do you now see Arsenal banging it off a big man up front? Do you see him playing the long ball at Everton at the weekend when they won 6-1? Not at all. He does what he believes in.”

Well said Tony; I hope you do what you believe in tonight as Arsène Wenger has pinpointed Aiden McGeady as a major threat to Arsenal’s European hopes.

With two major events in Glasgow tonight, important travel advice has been given out for fans who are attending the game at Celtic Park. An estimated 120,000 are expected to throng the city for both the Arsenal game at Parkhead, and the U2 Concert at Hampden Park. We’ll see which venue fills up first!

As mentioned on the blog yesterday, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas has signed for Blackpool on a one month loan deal. We sincerely wish him all the best in his time there. In some other news, Rio Ferdinand seems set to miss the clash with Arsenal after being sidelined with a thigh injury. Good news or not? We’ll see!

Nevertheless, with the return to fitness of Diaby, I reckon Arsene might decide to stick with the 4-3-3 from Saturday (I might be wrong) with the line up looking a bit like this

Almunia
Sagna/Eboue Gallas Vermaelen Clichy
Song Diaby
Fabregas
Bendtner Van Persie Arshavin

Subs: Manone, Gibbs, Silvestre, Ramsey, Wilshere, Sagna/Eboue

Prediction: Celtic 1 Arsenal 3

It might interest you to know that the last time an English club prevailed in a European game at Celtic Park was on Dec 7, 1983, when Brian Clough’s Nottingham Forest won 2-1 in the first leg of their Uefa Cup third-round tie. Even Arsene was surprised at that statistic.

Come on boys, let’s rewrite history then!

Till tomorrow…Get Your Boots On! Victoria Concordia Crescit.
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by vikiviko(m): 11:10am On Aug 18, 2009
Arsenal good for victory.
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by ahbmag: 11:51am On Aug 18, 2009
Arsenal will suprise many people dis season

Gunners 4R LIFE, cool cool cool
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by mukina2: 12:20pm On Aug 18, 2009
FBS:

And with some players missing (due to injury) for The Arses?  undecided
Not an easy match eh?
who send you message angry chavscum tongue grin

I am confident my guns will hit this off cool
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by call4shola(m): 12:42pm On Aug 18, 2009
Gunners all the way Babay: Celtic 1- 3 Arsenal kiss
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by rockyfela(m): 1:34pm On Aug 18, 2009
i pray we win cos celtic is a pretty tough fixture.
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by mykali(m): 2:52pm On Aug 18, 2009
Celtic were impressive over the weekend.
so the DiaperBoizTM grin have a mountaineous task to do in Scotland.
if they lose out on this . . . another Trophyless season awaits them tongue
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by allboyz(m): 2:54pm On Aug 18, 2009
Celtic 1 - 3 Arsenal FC
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by Krayola2(m): 2:54pm On Aug 18, 2009
Damn!! i'm goin to miss this game.

Good Luck to Arsenal. . .give em hell!! wink
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by Gooner2(m): 3:00pm On Aug 18, 2009
allboyz:

Celtic 1 - 3 Arsenal FC

Seconded!
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by nuelmae(m): 3:31pm On Aug 18, 2009
go Arsenal goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by Phony200(m): 3:37pm On Aug 18, 2009
Any which way, Ass-anal cannot lose over two legs.
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by khanye(m): 3:55pm On Aug 18, 2009
Celtic 2 - Arsenal 1 cool
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by chic2pimp(m): 4:21pm On Aug 18, 2009
Anything less than a thrashing would be a dissappointment. Definitely expecting a 6-0 victory tongue
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by Meangwa: 4:52pm On Aug 18, 2009
The young lads are in high spirit and ready to burn on all four cylinders so I expect nothing short of victory.
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by cbjonstage(m): 4:52pm On Aug 18, 2009
victory is ours fellas, GO GUNNERS! i know wat we r up to dis season
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by mystikal(m): 6:43pm On Aug 18, 2009
chic2pimp:

Anything less than a thrashing would be a dissappointment. Definitely expecting a 6-0 victory tongue
Abi o, they cannot just raise ur hopes by beating everton 6 -1, we need 'em 2 do that in every game this season, LOL.
I second that, 7 nil, LOL
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by koolchicco: 7:09pm On Aug 18, 2009
allboyz:

Celtic 1 - 3 Arsenal FC

A BIG FAT AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by HNIC(m): 7:43pm On Aug 18, 2009
see noise for Parkhead!
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by mystikal(m): 7:45pm On Aug 18, 2009
lets go there!

seems like all the injury doubts came thru. almost same squad tht destroyed the Toffees!
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by edoyad(m): 7:46pm On Aug 18, 2009
Let's go you gooners grin
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by Borat1: 7:48pm On Aug 18, 2009
Good luck to the Arsenal. I'm backing you to win. cool
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by Sauron1: 7:51pm On Aug 18, 2009
Come on CELTIC. . . . . .Make Wenger CRY. cry cry cry cry cry
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by tkb417(m): 7:56pm On Aug 18, 2009
Celtic all the way!!!
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by HNIC(m): 7:57pm On Aug 18, 2009
@ Sauron
we are winning tonite
Did u just see how arshavin pierced the defence?
and his disallowed goal?
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by tkb417(m): 7:58pm On Aug 18, 2009
nearly cannot kill a bird
siddon dey watch game
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by Sauron1: 7:59pm On Aug 18, 2009
HNIC:

@ Sauron
we are winning tonite
Did u just see how arshavin pierced the defence?
and his disallowed goal?

Pierced what? He was 5000 miles offside. . . .
If that was Adebayor, y'all would be making animal noises.
Maloney and McGeady are raping y'all from the flanks.
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by biina: 8:02pm On Aug 18, 2009
The pace of the game is very fast. Someone has to Bleep up soon grin
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by Sauron1: 8:04pm On Aug 18, 2009
What a COUNTER from Celtic. . . . . .

Denilson shoulda gotten a red card there but Vermaelen was class.
This is interesting.
Re: UCL Play-off: Celtic(0) vs Arsenal(2) on Tues 18th August by HNIC(m): 8:05pm On Aug 18, 2009
Verm is a warrior
Anyone wanna bet if it ha been Kolo, it would have been 1-0?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Champions League: Fiorentina - Liverpool,2-0 On Tuesday 29th September 2009 / Post Match Analysis ; Manchester United Versus Benfica / Mourinho Is Unfair To The Current Real Madrid Coach.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.