Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,719 members, 7,816,964 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:27 PM

Please Help!!! Radiator Fan Not Working. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Help!!! Radiator Fan Not Working. (1445 Views)

Today, I Found Out For Sure That, Connecting Radiator Fan Directly Is Not Good ! / Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant / Car Not Accelerating Wen Ac Is On And Fan Not Working Wen Engine Is Hot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help!!! Radiator Fan Not Working. by charlie44nike: 1:54am On May 17, 2016
Please Nairalanders. My radiator fan does not kick in on time, it works like it has a mind of it's own. I always have to turn my airconditioner on before the fan blows.

The car is overheating, its a 1999 Volvo s80. I have called a mechanic in ladipo, and they said they have to relay the fan to work direct, which means they have to hotwire the fan to the battery, it wouldn't work with the thermostat anymore.

Please i want to know if this proposed method will not have any effect on water flowing into the engine when the thermostat won't be working anymore.

Please someone help me before i ask them to proceed.
[b][/b]
Re: Please Help!!! Radiator Fan Not Working. by fckmn24seg(m): 1:58am On May 17, 2016
charlie44nike:
Please Nairalanders. My radiator fan does not kick in on time, it works like it has a mind of it's own. I always have to turn my airconditioner on before the fan blows.

The car is overheating, its a 1999 Volvo s80. I have called a mechanic in ladipo, and they said they have to relay the fan to work direct, which means they have to hotwire the fan to the battery, it wouldn't work with the thermostat anymore.

Please i want to know if this proposed method will not have any effect on water flowing into the engine when the thermostat won't be working anymore.

[b][/b]

Ok
Re: Please Help!!! Radiator Fan Not Working. by Lexusgs430: 4:34am On May 17, 2016
charlie44nike:

[b][/b]

When a dogs temperature seems high, it opens its mouth to natural expel the heat and ingest cold air!!!

Now back to your car, if your radiator fan does not kick in to cool the engine down as at when required, overheating is the outcome.

Why not investigate why the fan is not kicking in, than placing excess load on your engine, by bypassing the fan?
Re: Please Help!!! Radiator Fan Not Working. by honmusa(m): 4:37am On May 17, 2016
charlie44nike:

[b][/b]
Point of correction ,there is no relationship between your thermostat and fan control ,thermostat is purely a mechanic device that open and close a valve with accordance to your coolant temperature .
If you go ahead with proposed method ,just be ready have a smoking engine soon apart from high fuel consumption issue that will ensue .
Find a professonal tech shop that will resolve this issue for you according to manufacturer specification instead of patronize kazeem that will turn your car worst than he met it .
call autologic @ 08061166316 to fix this issue for you

1 Like

Re: Please Help!!! Radiator Fan Not Working. by erico2k2(m): 12:31am On May 18, 2016
honmusa:

Point of correction ,there is no relationship between your thermostat and fan control ,thermostat is purely a mechanic device that open and close a valve with accordance to your coolant temperature .
If you go ahead with proposed method ,just be ready have a smoking engine soon apart from high fuel consumption issue that will ensue .
Find a professonal tech shop that will resolve this issue for you according to manufacturer specification instead of patronize kazeem that will turn your car worst than he met it .
I am afraid there is bro, cos your thermostat opens at a certain temperature and its around that temperature your fan is meant to work,the problem he is having got to do with a little sensor,in most cars this sensor is just before the water pump the Name is the Engine coolant temperature sensore (https://www.google.co.uk/#q=engine+coolant+temperature+sensor) I have changed mine before.
Re: Please Help!!! Radiator Fan Not Working. by honmusa(m): 6:01am On May 18, 2016
erico2k2:

I am afraid there is bro, cos your thermostat opens at a certain temperature and its around that temperature your fan is meant to work,the problem he is having got to do with a little sensor,in most cars this sensor is just before the water pump the Name is the Engine coolant temperature sensore (https://www.google.co.uk/#q=engine+coolant+temperature+sensor) I have changed mine before.
I said it again ,no relationship between thermostat and fan control .
Thermostat is purely a mechanic device that start to open around 82 C -100 depending on the engine.Thermostat only depend on temperature and doesnt rely on any sensor signal to achieve its purpose .The main purpose of thermostat is to allow the engine to achieve a close loop condition as fast as possible by closing the engine inlet point from receiving lower temperature coolant .Thermostat doesn't have anything to do with radiator fan ,it closing temperature and opening is a totally different event from fan control .
whereas fan control switch role generally being performed by an actuator,the car manufacturer can use any device to achieve this e.g engine computer ,thermoswitch (Toyota Camry) ,dedicated fan ecu etc and this actuator will need to get a control signal from a engine coolant temperature sensor to perform its role of triggering the fan . Fan triggering temperature condition is not the same thing as themostat temperature and it usually occurs at much higher temperature eg 100,120 C etc depending on the car manufacture design also fan triggering condition is met when the actuator receive AC signal .
Thermostat opening and fan control are mutually exclusive event ,though both event serve the same purpose of maintaining the engine optimum temperature.so don't be confused.
For the purpose for which this thread is created ,the op complains of fan control occuring too late .The op need to start this troubleshooting right from engine coolant temperature sensor through the wiring to the fan control actuator .the issue might not necessary be from the sensor ,voltage drop along the and bad ground in the wiring system can also be a factor .Definitely ,thermostat doesn't have anything to do with this at all .

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Please Help!!! Radiator Fan Not Working. by erico2k2(m): 9:42am On May 18, 2016
honmusa:

Thermostat is purely a mechanic device that start to open around 82 C -100 depending on the engine.Thermostat only depend on temperature and doesnt rely on any sensor signal to achieve its purpose .The main purpose of thermostat is to allow the engine to achieve a close loop condition as fast as possible by closing the engine inlet point from receiving lower temperature coolant .Thermostat doesn't have anything to do with radiator fan ,it closing temperature and opening is a totally different event from fan control .
whereas fan control switch role generally being performed by an actuator,the car manufacturer can use any device to achieve this e.g engine computer ,thermoswitch (Toyota Camry) ,dedicated fan ecu etc and this actuator will need to get a control signal from a engine coolant temperature sensor to perform its role of triggering the fan . Fan triggering temperature condition is not the same thing as themostat temperature and it usually occurs at much higher temperature eg 100,120 C etc depending on the car manufacture design also fan triggering condition is met when the actuator receive AC signal .
Thermostat opening and fan control are mutually exclusive event ,though both event serve the same purpose of maintaining the engine optimum temperature.so don't be confused.
For the purpose for which this thread is created ,the op complains of fan control occuring too late .The op need to start this troubleshooting right from engine coolant temperature sensor through the wiring to the fan control actuator .the issue might not necessary be from the sensor ,voltage drop along the and bad ground in the wiring system can also be a factor .Definitely ,thermostat doesn't have anything to do with this at all .

Bro you misunderstood what I wrote,check again, I never said the thermostat controls the fan, I said the engine temperature sensors controls the fan,When this Sensor dies most mechanics i n Nigeria tend to wire the Fan direct via a Relay, most people here can attest to that.
Now the part was pointing to as relationship btw the thermostat and Sensor is this,if your Engine for any reason does not reach its ultimate temperature the fan would never come on.
I had an issue with mine not too long ago on my BMW,with them ones you cannot wire direct to test the fans,car was overheating and fan does not come up.
OK check this, if you have a stuck thermostat would your fan come on?
Re: Please Help!!! Radiator Fan Not Working. by honmusa(m): 10:58am On May 18, 2016
erico2k2:

Bro you misunderstood what I wrote,check again, I never said the thermostat controls the fan, I said the engine temperature sensors controls the fan,When this Sensor dies most mechanics i n Nigeria tend to wire the Fan direct via a Relay, most people here can attest to that.
Now the part was pointing to as relationship btw the thermostat and Sensor is this,if your Engine for any reason does not reach its ultimate temperature the fan would never come on.
I had an issue with mine not too long ago on my BMW,with them ones you cannot wire direct to test the fans,car was overheating and fan does not come up.
OK check this, if you have a stuck thermostat would your fan come on?
Depending on the design of the car cooling system and location of the fan control switch .
You need to be specific of the car model you are referring to so that I can give the right answer.
Re: Please Help!!! Radiator Fan Not Working. by erico2k2(m): 11:23am On May 18, 2016
honmusa:

Depending on the design of the car cooling system and location of the fan control switch .
You need to be specific of the car model you are referring to so that I can give the right answer.
Bro Any car.chose
Re: Please Help!!! Radiator Fan Not Working. by charlie44nike: 12:17pm On May 18, 2016
honmusa:

thanks. will place the call
Re: Please Help!!! Radiator Fan Not Working. by charlie44nike: 12:22pm On May 18, 2016
honmusa:

bros so what do i do? do you know any auto electrician that can fix this?
Re: Please Help!!! Radiator Fan Not Working. by honmusa(m): 12:56pm On May 18, 2016
charlie44nike:

bros so what do i do? do you know any auto electrician that can fix this?
I have given you my number to call (08061166316 )
Re: Please Help!!! Radiator Fan Not Working. by honmusa(m): 5:31pm On May 18, 2016
erico2k2:

Bro Any car.chose
From my experience and various design I have seen ,i have worked on several cooling system issues of various car model and i have never seen a stuck thermostat affecting the fan control from working unless you have problem with the fan control signal or relay .
The engine coolant temperature take is source of signal from the coolant in the engine to communicate to the relevant actuator to trigger the fan and no matter how stuck close the thermostat might be ,there will always be coolant in the engine for the coolant temperature to take it measurement. Unless you have a massive leak of coolant from the engine that prevent the sensor from taking the engine temperature reading which is unlikely .
And I am sure no manufacturer will embark on such shoddy design whereby stuck thermostat will affect fan triggering
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130522003928AA4p9RW

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Help!!! Radiator Fan Not Working. by erico2k2(m): 10:55pm On May 18, 2016
honmusa:

From my experience and various design I have seen ,i have worked on several cooling system issues of various car model and i have never seen a stuck thermostat affecting the fan control from working unless you have problem with the fan control signal or relay .
The engine coolant temperature take is source of signal from the coolant in the engine to communicate to the relevant actuator to trigger the fan and no matter how stuck close the thermostat might be ,there will always be coolant in the engine for the coolant temperature to take it measurement. Unless you have a massive leak of coolant from the engine that prevent the sensor from taking the engine temperature reading which is unlikely .
And I am sure no manufacturer will embark on such shoddy design whereby stuck thermostat will affect fan triggering
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130522003928AA4p9RW
Bro p lease check toyotas, Hondas and Nissan see which one of them has the ECT sensor after the water pump.
Do not forget when the thermostat is locked hot water is forced via the bypass back into the engine, no water returns back to the radiator,at this point the temperature of the coolant from the water pump back to the radiator is same as from the thermostat back to the radiator, ie cooler,if this is true it simply means the coolant wont be hot enough to trigger the ECU to send signals to the fan to start blowing.
PS:There is Engine temperature sensor this is the one that sends signal to your gauge in ur dashboard, and there is Engine coolant temperature sensor and this is the one pre water pump and sends signals to the ECU and turns o n the fan.
check this link and photos by GAZZUZZ https://www.nairaland.com/1788778/maintenance-tips-cars/10

(1) (Reply)

Rear View Mirror Adhesive / Number plate Scarcity Hits Lagos / Bolt(formerly Taxify) Has Launched Business Delivery Couriers Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.