Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,807 members, 7,810,101 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:48 PM

Hypertension: The Silent Killer - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Hypertension: The Silent Killer (18790 Views)

Let's Discuss Hypertension! The 3 Part Exposé, by The Blue Pharmacist / Renal Failure: A Silent Killer / Moi Moi The Silent Killer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hypertension: The Silent Killer by DonLo: 3:23pm On May 19, 2016
THE SILENT KILLER

Mama Emeka, my childhood neighbour collapsed while going to her store. We all thought it’s a product of her many enemies, since she was a known trouble maker earning her the alias ‘Trouble’. Emeka her son became an orphan and a drop-out as there was nobody to support him. Mama Emeka was said to be healthy that morning before her death which begs the question, what could have gone wrong. The only plausible explanation was that she must have died from complications of a chronic medical condition with hypertension being the prime suspect. Complicated hypertension kills silently and suddenly.

Hypertension simply means abnormal elevated blood pressure. Blood pressure readings are comprised of two values: one for systolic blood pressure and the other one for diastolic blood pressure; anything equal to or above 140 over 90 is considered high. It affects approximately 1 billion people worldwide and it is commoner among blacks. Studies shows that about 30 million Nigerians are hypertensive, affecting 1 in 3 men and 1 in 4 women. Unfortunately over 30% of hypertensives are unaware. These sets of people are time bomb waiting to explode just like Mama Emeka. Kaboom! And they are gone 6 feet under the ground.

Over 90% of hypertension is idiopathic, the causes are unknown. However, there are some things that increase one’s chance of having hypertension which include advance age, black race, stress, sedentary lifestyles, alcohol consumption, smoking, consumption of fatty food and extra large people with BMI greater than 30.

High blood pressure is usually asymptomatic, but when it presents with symptoms, the symptoms are usually vague. Vague symptoms of hypertension include headache, insomnia, blurry vision and palpitations. Untreated or poorly treated hypertension leads to heart failure, heart attack, stroke, blindness, renal failure and many more.

Routine blood pressure check is important(especially for individuals with increased chances) and this can be done in the hospital. One must know his number and it is easier these days that even mushroom ‘chemists’ now render blood pressure checking service at a cheap price. A way of showing love to your old ones is to make sure they get their blood pressure checked. You might be saving a life. To those who have been diagnosed of hypertension, yet you are not on drug and not attending clinic, I feel sorry for the loved ones you’ll be living behind. Stroke might just be knocking on the door. Please retrace your steps.

Eat healthy, avoid excessive salt intake and limit alcohol consumption. Extra large ones should emulate the popular comedienne Lepacious Bose. Hit the gym with the aim of maintaining a healthy weight. Who fatness don epp except for bullies?

We must all know our numbers, mine is 110/70mmHg. What is yours?

This post is to mark the World Hypertension Day, May 17-24th, 2016.

http://kuducancer.com/2016/05/18/the-silent-killer/

29 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by chriskosherbal(m): 6:53pm On May 19, 2016
Hypertension hmmmm
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by Jayloy: 12:34am On May 20, 2016
My Number is 120/70.

Lalasticlala what is your number o because Nairaland is enough to give you hypertension o.
And Lala this should make front page, it's the world hypertension Week.
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by DonLo: 12:36am On May 20, 2016
For solutions to health related issues especially cancer check www.kuducancer.com

1 Share

Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by Rapidx: 11:24am On May 20, 2016
The ratio of the prevalence of hypertention amongst Nigerians is more than the " 1 in 3" the Op quoted here.

2 in every 3 Nigerians are hypertensive. Then, the big issue is that more than 3/4 of those who managed to come forward to be diagnosed ended up stopping their medication as soon as their pressure seem to be normal. This is contrary to the conventional guideline which stipulates that the medication MUST be taking life long. Your pressure elevates sporadically once you're hypertensive. So you have to take the medication till the end of life.

One thing again is to find the medication that works for you. One brand of hypertention medication is not a blanket one for all sufferers. The medication that brought down the pressure of Mr A might not do same in MOST CASES for Mr B. People have to excise patience, work with their doctor, spend a little money to find the brand that works for them. This is key.

8 Likes

Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by jtjohn(m): 11:25am On May 20, 2016
k
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by izzou(m): 11:25am On May 20, 2016
I havent checked yet

It av reached hypertension mata now,nobody dey

If it was Ipod or APC or fayose issue naa,i no go see space

Health na wealth

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by benjazy: 11:26am On May 20, 2016
High tension#
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by osizi06(m): 11:26am On May 20, 2016
I havent check mine but sometimes my heart beat faster dan usual without any provocation. And wen am frightened, i sometimes gasp for air. Du u think im hypertensive?
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by virginboy1(m): 11:27am On May 20, 2016
. Good day ooo.

Please ooo I need your help. I want to cook JOLLOF RICE should I use Rice?

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by Nobody: 11:27am On May 20, 2016
Very Informato
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by yomalex(m): 11:28am On May 20, 2016
I take moringa just in case
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by seunlayi(m): 11:28am On May 20, 2016
The above info very timely going by the present situation in the country. Pls, endeavor to go for check up regularly.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by mytime24(f): 11:28am On May 20, 2016
Endtime killer

1 Like

Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by LordaGuru: 11:28am On May 20, 2016
Most hypertension(s) are self-inflicted, i.e.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by TVTKOKO(m): 11:29am On May 20, 2016
Jayloy:
My Number is 120/70.

Lalasticlala what is your number o because Nairaland is enough to give you hypertension o.
And Lala this should make front page, it's the world hypertension Week.
abeg free dat guy jare
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by seunlayi(m): 11:30am On May 20, 2016
[size=17pt]
APC gradually increasing the rate of Hypertension in Nigeria since 2015 with increased throttle in 2016 grin grin

Do you agree?

[/size]

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by luxico(m): 11:31am On May 20, 2016
When fuel from price is high when won't tension hype almost everything in market is high ...

1 Like

Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by Jaylovah(f): 11:31am On May 20, 2016
APC is not helping matters, increasing people's blood pressure any how

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by davodyguy: 11:31am On May 20, 2016
nice one
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by luxico(m): 11:32am On May 20, 2016
When fuel from price is high why won't tension hype
almost everything in market is high ...
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by ojun50(m): 11:32am On May 20, 2016
Hyper-solution any better news frm APC dis morning
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by StoneLucifer: 11:33am On May 20, 2016
Buharis style of leadership kills faster than hypertension..

2 Likes

Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by titiakins: 11:33am On May 20, 2016
Forget hypertension

APC is the new killer

3 Likes

Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by iPopAlomo(m): 11:34am On May 20, 2016
120/80
Is that high, low or normal...
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by davodyguy: 11:34am On May 20, 2016
Jaylovah:
APC is not helping matters, increasing people's blood pressure any how

Smh. Since 2010 under Jonathan, I've been doing 140/90
In 2013, i did in September 160/100
Now im doing 130/90 or last check 120/90

WTH are you saying?

1 Like

Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by kby: 11:34am On May 20, 2016
IT's asymptomatic nature makes it a silent killer . Though it is common among the elderly, young people can also be at risk especially those with positive family history of hypertension. .so it is important to know your number today . Mine is 110/70
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by davodyguy: 11:37am On May 20, 2016
DonLo:
THE SILENT KILLER
Hypertension simply means abnormal elevated blood pressure. Blood pressure readings are comprised of two values: one for systolic blood pressure and the other one for diastolic blood pressure; anything equal to or above 140 over 90 is considered high. It affects approximately 1 billion people worldwide and it is commoner among blacks. Studies shows that about 30 million Nigerians are hypertensive, affecting 1 in 3 men and 1 in 4 women. Unfortunately over 30% of hypertensives are unaware. These sets of people are time bomb waiting to explode just like Mama Emeka. Kaboom! And they are gone 6 feet under the ground.

So true. Didnt know mine till sometime in 2013, when i had respiratory issues

DonLo:
THE SILENT KILLER
Over 90% of hypertension is idiopathic, the causes are unknown. However, there are some things that increase one’s chance of having hypertension which include advance age, black race, stress, sedentary lifestyles, alcohol consumption, smoking, consumption of fatty food [/b]and extra large people with BMI greater than 30.
May be fatty foods but dont do all others

DonLo:
[b]THE SILENT KILLER

High blood pressure is usually asymptomatic, but when it presents with symptoms, the symptoms are usually vague. Vague symptoms of hypertension include headache, insomnia, blurry vision and palpitations. Untreated or poorly treated hypertension leads to heart failure, heart attack, stroke, blindness, renal failure and many more.
insomnia, yes. So true or Sleep apnea

DonLo:
THE SILENT KILLER
Routine blood pressure check is important(especially for individuals with increased chances) and this can be done in the hospital. One must know his number and it is easier these days that even mushroom ‘chemists’ now render blood pressure checking service at a cheap price. A way of showing love to your old ones is to make sure they get their blood pressure checked. You might be saving a life. To those who have been diagnosed of hypertension, yet you are not on drug and not attending clinic, I feel sorry for the loved ones you’ll be living behind. Stroke might just be knocking on the door. Please retrace your steps.
At least once a month like i do

DonLo:
THE SILENT KILLER
Eat healthy, avoid excessive salt intake and limit alcohol consumption. Extra large ones should emulate the popular comedienne Lepacious Bose. Hit the gym with the aim of maintaining a healthy weight. Who fatness don epp except for bullies?
Not easy ooo

DonLo:
THE SILENT KILLER
We must all know our numbers, mine is 110/70mmHg. What is yours?

120/80

1 Like

Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by Adesiji77: 11:38am On May 20, 2016
Regular medical checkup is a must...
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by Chukzyfcb(m): 11:39am On May 20, 2016
If you are born in a family with traces of hypertension, never say you are too young to check your Blood pressure.
MY dad suffered hypertension right from his ss2 up until 52years where he died from heart-attack. Check your BP now, even if you are just 18yrs. That way you can start early to properly manage it.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

University Of Abuja Hospital Plans Mass Burial For 108 Unclaimed Dead Bodies / Nigerian Soldier Tests Positive For Ebola In Liberia / COVID-19: Nigeria Considers Discharging Yet-To-Recover Patients - NCDC DG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.