Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,991 members, 7,810,766 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:58 PM

MTN Rip-off - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MTN Rip-off (3184 Views)

RIP to MTN Night Plan / Samsung Note 7 RIP / RIP Nokia! Nokia CEO Cries Uncontrollably As Microsoft Acquires Nokia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

MTN Rip-off by Mtncomplaint: 7:25pm On May 21, 2016
I really do hope this Makes front page to draw the attention of all relevant authorities to the Ill treatment and rip-off trend being practiced by MTN. I had no plans to make my recent dealings with them public but after meeting up with a couple friends lastnight I discovered that about 5 of us present in the gathering had been ripped off and our data balance cleared by MTN this past week, each of us had all tried in private to have them resolve it but all to no avail.

On Monday the 16th of May 2016, I subscribed to the 3.5GB data plan for #2000, i got a flash message welcoming me to the bundle plan but never got a text message to that effect after which I decided to check my data balance. To my surprise it was 0mb not even up to 10mins after subscribing.

I called 180 almost immediately to raise a complaint and was told it would be fixed. I did have to call them about 3more times that night. Fast-forward to Tuesday evening, I called in again and was told it had been rectified. Checked my balance and saw 219mb which was a total shocker and I decided I was not going to turn on my mobile data until rectified. Called in again to register my displeasure and I was given their typical line, "we will forward your complaints to our technical team and within 24hrs it will be resolved".

Wednesday came, nothing done. I called in again and was told to wait another 24hrs.

Thursday came, nothing done still. As expected I was told to wait another 24hrs.

On Friday I had exhausted my patience. I called in and the customer care lady was about to have me on thesame routine diplomacy bout forwarding my complaints to technical team and 24hrs wait. I wasn't definitely going to have that cause it was starting to sound stupid and lame. I asked this lady to put me through to her supervisor, team leader since it was obviously that they had no power over my issue. This lady placed me on hold and ended the call, after struggling to call back the next customer care staff could not access my details and it all just seemed really funny to me as moments ago it was accessed. I got fed up and resolved to just switch sim and use another service provider for my internet use.

Just this evening MTN sent a text to say 'my data bundle cleared due to system challenges had been refunded'. Checked my data balance to see thesame 219mb and then I realised MTN is being smart with me.

Just Incase any of the guys at MTN comes across this post. It's really simple. If your technical team will not rectify my issue, have them take off that 219mb from my line cos I will not use what I didn't pay for, I paid for 3.5GB not 219MB.

I know there are obviously a whole lot of people who have had similar issues and even worse which never got resolved. This might seem like another rant but MTN please handle your business.

Aggrieved Subscriber.

cc Seun, lalasticlala, Puskin, honsule, dragnet, mynd44, JideSM

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: MTN Rip-off by Mtncomplaint: 7:41pm On May 21, 2016
Anyone that has got a similar complaint please feel free to comment till this gets to front page
Re: MTN Rip-off by Unlimited22: 8:13pm On May 21, 2016
Even when it is left for u the way the data gets used up is mind-boggling

1 Like

Re: MTN Rip-off by patmegame: 8:31pm On May 21, 2016
Man will soon realized that if we don't sub they will not get money
Re: MTN Rip-off by YOUNGELDER1(m): 8:35pm On May 21, 2016
and that's why i will forever stick with glo cheesy even though glo network is so terrible but you hardly hear of such rip offs and complains.

they don't touch your credit while you have data but i dare you to leave some airtime on your Etisalat & mtn lines when you are subscription cheesy

OP Kpele sire!! you should also forward your complain to NCC

www.ncc.gov.ng/Archive/CAB/cab_complaint.htm

https://www.facebook.com/nigerian.communications.commission/?__tn__=C

2 Likes

Re: MTN Rip-off by Mtncomplaint: 8:41pm On May 21, 2016
YOUNGELDER1:
and that's why i will forever stick with glo cheesy even though glo network is so terrible but you hardly hear of such rip offs and complains.

they don't touch your credit while you have data but i dare you to leave some airtime on your Etisalat & mtn lines when you are subscription cheesy

OP Kpele sire!! you should also forward your complain to NCC

www.ncc.gov.ng/Archive/CAB/cab_complaint.htm

https://www.facebook.com/nigerian.communications.commission/?__tn__=C

Thanks sir, I have decided to go to NCC office myself with a formal petition if this is not resolved in due time. I'm just taking it slow for now.
They will not believe the length I will take this minor issue to. I have been on mtn with same number since 2006 and I know my daily spend on airtime. Since they have decided to reward my loyalty with theft then I will do whatever I please

1 Like

Re: MTN Rip-off by bizgenius1: 8:54pm On May 21, 2016
Mtncomplaint:

Thanks sir, I have decided to go to NCC office myself with a formal petition if this is not resolved in due time. I'm just taking it slow for now.
They will not believe the length I will take this minor issue to. I have been on mtn with same number since 2006 and I know my daily spend on airtime. Since they have decided to reward my loyalty with theft then I will do whatever I please

sorry abt that...contact JideSM here he will surely help u
Re: MTN Rip-off by Mtncomplaint: 8:57pm On May 21, 2016
bizgenius1:

sorry abt that...contact JideSM here he will surely help u

Thanks for your input, will do!

1 Like

Re: MTN Rip-off by Olalekanbanky1(m): 9:05pm On May 21, 2016
Must u use Mtn?

Pple have bn complaining abt this same package and still papa yet sibe, u went ahead to opt for it. U never hear of Airtel's 1500 for 4.5Gb? Abegi let's hear word jor
Re: MTN Rip-off by Mtncomplaint: 9:14pm On May 21, 2016
Olalekanbanky1:
Must u use Mtn?

Pple have bn complaining abt this same package and still papa yet sibe, u went ahead to opt for it. U never hear of Airtel's 1500 for 4.5Gb? Abegi let's hear word jor

Kindly keep your comments to yourself if you have nothing useful to say. This is a complaint thread, not a hate thread. Thanks, run along

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Rip-off by Olalekanbanky1(m): 9:27pm On May 21, 2016
Mtncomplaint:

Kindly keep your comments to yourself if you have nothing useful to say. This is a complaint thread, not a hate thread. Thanks, run along

No be hatred matter bro. I feel ur pain. But I'm 100% sure that u must have bn hinted about this package flops. If mtn introduces 50Gb for 2000 by 2mao, na una go still jump at it.
Re: MTN Rip-off by iamawara(m): 10:27pm On May 21, 2016
This is serious. OP I know exactly how you feel. Same thing happened to me last year March, I subscribed to MTN night plan 4.5GiG of N2,500 on a peaceful Friday morning. After subscribing I got the data, so I started browsing Facebook in particular, after for like 30 min my uncle sent me N750 recharge card which I loaded on the same sim, after loading the card I quickly checked my account balance and it was intact, as I come send 2 to 131 all I got was I don't have an active data plan, I checked my data account with *559*2# nothing was dere, I dialed *559*4# and I saw 10MB, I called customer care and all I was told was my night plan was wiped off due to system upgrade that they will refund me back....... I wait wait ooohh Nothing until this time am typing this comment I have not received even 1kb so take heart bro... You have been robbed by MTN

1 Like

Re: MTN Rip-off by tunaguy(m): 10:35pm On May 21, 2016
Mine was yesterday i told customer care too deactivate the VFS bb plan everyone was doing when she deactivated i no con see my normal data again i can't even sub for anything even tho i have airtime but me don report too NCC
Re: MTN Rip-off by OCTAVO: 11:15pm On May 21, 2016
For cheap long lasting data plans, please kindly click the link on my signature. Thanks.
Re: MTN Rip-off by Mistermamus(m): 11:16pm On May 21, 2016
Scam naim dem be
Re: MTN Rip-off by tolu4you: 11:23pm On May 21, 2016
I will share this link with mtn on Twitter

1 Like

Re: MTN Rip-off by okooloyun1(m): 12:03am On May 22, 2016
That was d same way they stole my N200 yesterday. I recharged N200 to call someone when I tried to call d person it didn't get through so I checked my balance it was 0.0, then I called Customer Care the lady told me that N150 was deducted for music plus and N50 for caller's tune which I never subscribed for. Mtn ur fadah!

1 Like

Re: MTN Rip-off by sheunsheun(m): 12:06am On May 22, 2016
Mtn well done oooo. How 376mb turned 79 mb within 24hrs without downloading is still a mystery
Re: MTN Rip-off by iXavier: 12:36am On May 22, 2016
Looks like Etisalat is the only one we can trust now

MTN has really gotten it all wrong
Re: MTN Rip-off by Mtncomplaint: 2:19am On May 22, 2016
iamawara:
This is serious. OP I know exactly how you feel. Same thing happened to me last year March, I subscribed to MTN night plan 4.5GiG of N2,500 on a peaceful Friday morning. After subscribing I got the data, so I started browsing Facebook in particular, after for like 30 min my uncle sent me N750 recharge card which I loaded on the same sim, after loading the card I quickly checked my account balance and it was intact, as I come send 2 to 131 all I got was I don't have an active data plan, I checked my data account with *559*2# nothing was dere, I dialed *559*4# and I saw 10MB, I called customer care and all I was told was my night plan was wiped off due to system upgrade that they will refund me back....... I wait wait ooohh Nothing until this time am typing this comment I have not received even 1kb so take heart bro... You have been robbed by MTN

Ohhh and I almost convinced myself that this pattern of theft was a recent one. Sorry about it. Why didn't you formally take it up with them?
Re: MTN Rip-off by Mtncomplaint: 2:20am On May 22, 2016
tolu4you:
I will share this link with mtn on Twitter

Gracias compadre. Most appreciated
Re: MTN Rip-off by Mtncomplaint: 2:24am On May 22, 2016
tunaguy:
Mine was yesterday i told customer care too deactivate the VFS bb plan everyone was doing when she deactivated i no con see my normal data again i can't even sub for anything even tho i have airtime but me don report too NCC

Way to go! Thumbs up

okooloyun1:
That was d same way they stole my N200 yesterday. I recharged N200 to call someone when I tried to call d person it didn't get through so I checked my balance it was 0.0, then I called Customer Care the lady told me that N150 was deducted for music plus and N50 for caller's tune which I never subscribed for. Mtn ur fadah!

Lool. This is a funny one I must say
Re: MTN Rip-off by faites(f): 4:42am On May 22, 2016
Mtn robbing subscribers since time immemorial. I'm on the 1k plan, I hope I don't encounter some of the experiences I've been reading here.

But wait, how do u check dat their cheap data plan cos I just dialed *559*4# and everything there is zero? undecided
Re: MTN Rip-off by Ajiswaggs(m): 5:53am On May 22, 2016
Mtncomplaint:
Anyone that has got a similar complaint please feel free to comment till this gets to front page
i had d same similar issue with you, so I call their customer agent to complain about this issue and they are all telling that vi should be patient that the data will be return since Monday. So on Friday I browse through there website to have a live chat with them. They started telling stories again. Na that time I con vex den I abuse the person behind d chat and there company. Naa Ogun I use threaten the woman, after some minute I saw a call from them and the lady started pleading with me and she told me she will refund my card on Monday morning when she came back to work.

1 Like

Re: MTN Rip-off by Rexyl(m): 6:10am On May 22, 2016
I think Glo is stable and don't do anyhow with data only that they need to improve on their gprs Service which is slow and often fluctuates.
Re: MTN Rip-off by emmyw(m): 7:52am On May 22, 2016
faites:
Mtn robbing subscribers since time immemorial. I'm on the 1k plan, I hope I don't encounter some of the experiences I've been reading here.

But wait, how do u check dat their cheap data plan cos I just dialed *559*4# and everything there is zero? undecided
Dial *131*4# Or Send 2 To 131

1 Like

Re: MTN Rip-off by Mtncomplaint: 7:52am On May 22, 2016
Ajiswaggs:
i had d same similar issue with you, so I call their customer agent to complain about this issue and they are all telling that vi should be patient that the data will be return since Monday. So on Friday I browse through there website to have a live chat with them. They started telling stories again. Na that time I con vex den I abuse the person behind d chat and there company. Naa Ogun I use threaten the woman, after some minute I saw a call from them and the lady started pleading with me and she told me she will refund my card on Monday morning when she came back to work.

Loool, this gave a good laugh. Kindly let me know if they eventually refund your units on monday
Re: MTN Rip-off by bayaar(m): 7:57am On May 22, 2016
Can u believe I subscribe for their 1.5gb on Monday just to check it on Tuesday morning and everything was swept clean. I later called them. They told me it'll be rectified. Tuesday gone, Wednesday nothing, Thursday nothing, Friday nothing.... I now called them yesterday again just to tell me that I've exhausted my 1.5gb. Those pple are d real barawo.
Re: MTN Rip-off by drss(m): 8:19am On May 22, 2016
even dem N25 night browsing na scam. dem talk say dem night browing na from 12:00am to 4:00am, but in truth, d tin na 12am to 3:30am.
empty-hen n scam ar like fura da nono.

1 Like

Re: MTN Rip-off by somehowpenis(m): 8:33am On May 22, 2016
Who still subscribe to mtn plans, when airtel and etisalat have the same plan and are there? Hmm
Re: MTN Rip-off by begwong: 8:54am On May 22, 2016
Thanks I was planning to sub for Mtn 1.5gig tmrow sef. I no do again. I will sub airtel or Etisalat. Thanks Op,em_thief_en thieves in sheep clothing

(1) (2) (Reply)

Airtel, Enough Is Enough. Stop Stealing (pics) / Cheapest Tablet Phones Price Under ₦20000 In Nigeria / FINALLY! Airtel Nigeria Introduces Timely Plan (for Unlimited Download)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.