Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,751 members, 7,809,869 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:23 PM

Finally! The Solution To Tomatoes Scarcity Right Infront Of Us - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Finally! The Solution To Tomatoes Scarcity Right Infront Of Us (3270 Views)

N1000 Tomatoes That I Saw Today In Lagos / 5 Nigerian Stews, Sauces You Can Make Without Tomatoes / The N600 Fresh Tomatoes I Bought Today At The Market.. Pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Finally! The Solution To Tomatoes Scarcity Right Infront Of Us by TouchstoneNgr: 2:46pm On May 22, 2016
While growing up in the early 90's I could remember this fruit we call tomato Elejo ( snake tomatoes) that it's often used as replacement for the regular tomatoes whenever mama wants to make stew.
We can get the seeds and plant them to use during this period as it can grow almost anywhere.

Tomato Elejo (Snake Tomato)

Snake tomato (Trichosanthes cucumerina) locally known as “tomato Elejo” is a variety growing mostly wild in southwestern Nigeria. It is mainly found in the states of Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Ekiti, Ondo and Edo. This long vegetable, which resembles to a cucumber, is richer in vitamin C, vitamin A and essential amino acids and calcium than the more popular and widespread tomatoes. It is less demanding as far as soil is concerned and thus ideal for southwestern Nigeria.   Snake tomato is used to prepare stews and is added in many local dishes, but is also used locally as a medicine, given its high concentration of vitamins. It used to be widely grown in the 60s and was very common in the local markets but nowadays not many are familiar with this food, especially younger generations. Nowadays attention has shifted to the more commercialized vine tomato, mostly to make paste, leaving snake tomato to grow wild, with little attention to its potential. As a basic foodstuff and vitamin provider snake tomato could prevent malnutrition and help fight the eye diseases, which are particularly prevalent amongst children in the region. Moreover, the cultivation itself would be a further source of income for farmers.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Finally! The Solution To Tomatoes Scarcity Right Infront Of Us by TouchstoneNgr: 2:50pm On May 22, 2016
Unripe tomatoes

Re: Finally! The Solution To Tomatoes Scarcity Right Infront Of Us by TouchstoneNgr: 2:52pm On May 22, 2016
Matured and ripe tomatoes

Re: Finally! The Solution To Tomatoes Scarcity Right Infront Of Us by Flexherbal(m): 2:52pm On May 22, 2016
Yes... I remember this tomatoes.

1 Like

Re: Finally! The Solution To Tomatoes Scarcity Right Infront Of Us by olatunjithomas(m): 2:53pm On May 22, 2016
Tomato elejo(snake tomato) that's a good idea. Anybody else......... yes you!!! say sumtin!

1 Like

Re: Finally! The Solution To Tomatoes Scarcity Right Infront Of Us by Nobody: 3:08pm On May 22, 2016
Interesting......gringrin

Re: Finally! The Solution To Tomatoes Scarcity Right Infront Of Us by breadplanets(f): 3:28pm On May 22, 2016
Woww ive not seen this before.
Re: Finally! The Solution To Tomatoes Scarcity Right Infront Of Us by bewla(m): 3:46pm On May 22, 2016
yes but not sweet in taste

1 Like

Re: Finally! The Solution To Tomatoes Scarcity Right Infront Of Us by TouchstoneNgr: 3:54pm On May 22, 2016
bewla:
yes but not sweet in taste

Really? I can't remember how it tastes though. It has been over 15 years.
It's a solution to this problem.

1 Like

Re: Finally! The Solution To Tomatoes Scarcity Right Infront Of Us by Cynthiabelle(f): 7:00pm On May 22, 2016
This does not look like tomatoes and I am sure it'll not taste like it.

This thing is AGBO better go and buy dried tomatoes and make your stew.
Re: Finally! The Solution To Tomatoes Scarcity Right Infront Of Us by kissGuys: 7:56am On May 23, 2016
no thanks
Re: Finally! The Solution To Tomatoes Scarcity Right Infront Of Us by Tynasparks(f): 11:55pm On May 23, 2016
Its a No No for me
Re: Finally! The Solution To Tomatoes Scarcity Right Infront Of Us by Konquest: 11:25pm On Nov 16, 2017
TouchstoneNgr:
While growing up in the early 90's I could remember this fruit we call tomato Elejo ( snake tomatoes) that it's often used as replacement for the regular tomatoes whenever mama wants to make stew.
We can get the seeds and plant them to use during this period as it can grow almost anywhere.

Tomato Elejo (Snake Tomato)

Snake tomato (Trichosanthes cucumerina) locally known as “tomato Elejo” is a variety growing mostly wild in southwestern Nigeria. It is mainly found in the states of Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Ekiti, Ondo and Edo. This long vegetable, which resembles to a cucumber, is richer in vitamin C, vitamin A and essential amino acids and calcium than the more popular and widespread tomatoes. It is less demanding as far as soil is concerned and thus ideal for southwestern Nigeria.   Snake tomato is used to prepare stews and is added in many local dishes, but is also used locally as a medicine, given its high concentration of vitamins. It used to be widely grown in the 60s and was very common in the local markets but nowadays not many are familiar with this food, especially younger generations. Nowadays attention has shifted to the more commercialized vine tomato, mostly to make paste, leaving snake tomato to grow wild, with little attention to its potential. As a basic foodstuff and vitamin provider snake tomato could prevent malnutrition and help fight the eye diseases, which are particularly prevalent amongst children in the region. Moreover, the cultivation itself would be a further source of income for farmers.
^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^
Python dance tomatoes! grin

Never heard of Tomato elejo or
Snake tomatoes before now...

Nice post...

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

See What I Found Inside Goya Oil Some Days After I Bought It / Your Best Soft Drink So Far? / How To Prepare Chin-chin For Your Festive Period

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.