Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,023 members, 7,818,026 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:11 AM

Starting Up Your Own Agribusiness - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting Up Your Own Agribusiness (655 Views)

Starting Up A Poultry Farm In 2018 And My Weakness / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / Starting Up My Fish Farm. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Starting Up Your Own Agribusiness by adetunjiyomi(m): 5:20pm On May 22, 2016
For some reasons, I believe you must have heard of some funny, quick startup tricks in agribusiness. And how you can eventually make some quick bucks or your first few millions. Well, as it stands, I am making my quick buck and living by processing, packaging and marketing indigenously farmed rice (you may want to call it OFADA, BENUE...RICE). Although, they are all different varieties but they have one thing in common HIGH NUTRITIONAL VALUE. This article is not for local rice...you can always call me if you want more information about that. 08107000957.

In order to have a great startup, I will share with you some tips I eventually learnt in the course of doing this business after making some mistakes. Mind you, these tips do not guaranty an error free startup, but it will surely help. However, I strongly suggest that you should look at some of these tips critically and choose that which best suits your situation. Now lets get down to business.

1. Assets, Machines, and equipment
: As a startup, you will need to gather some of these things. However costly they might be. To do business in the agric sector you will need equipment and machines or else you will have your back and high labour cost to blame for it (ask your farmer grandpa, he'll tell you more). Nevertheless, as a beginner I will not advice you to get some of these machines from the onset, instead outsource them from those who already have them. This way you will reduce your startup cost and your new business will be very liquid. Therefore, it will be easier for you to start all over again, in case you hit the rock bottom. You might want to ask; what about the stress and cost of moving your products about? With good transport and other logistics well planned you won't have much trouble getting your products from the source to the final consumer.

2. Customers and Consumers: Customers and consumers are usually the same. I just like the sound of the rhymes. Your customers, as you may have already known, are your main source of income. They pay for everything, eventually they will pay your startup capital. Treat them like kings and queens. Get feedbacks before you go into production and after sales have been made. Design your products to suit your customers. And don't try to force a new product on them...just introduce it with love. You may want to use social networks to get feedbacks from would be customers, this would give you a better perspective on what to produce. You can also ask your customers to pay in advance. This is another way of raising funds.

3. Networking: For some obvious reasons, which I believe you know, networking is as important as your products and services are. Networking is a bit unique for agribusiness people. Simply because the kind of people you will have to network with, especially if you are a small timer, are not easy to deal with. Sometimes ago I was in the farm to get some rice paddy. While I was negotiating with my supplier, a village woman in her early 50ties, I saw a well dressed young man walking straight at us to ask questions about rice paddy and prices. The moment I saw him, I knew he wouldn't get a good deal. I left him with the woman to talk business. And the next thing I knew, the woman scuffed at him and went away to continue her chores. So I asked the young man what he had said to the lady. "Nothing" he responded carefully. To cut the long story short, he was obviously new to the environment and looked more like a government agent than a rice merchant which he was. Lesson learned? You need to network with both your customers, suppliers, distributors, financial advisers, other businesses...and the list goes on and on in order to always get a good deal. In the best case scenario good referrals the will change the state of your business.

I believe, I have been able to help a little if not much with these few tips. Notwithstanding, perhaps you are seriously considering starting up a business in the agric sector, and the capitals are not so much available. Lets talk. I don't believe in getting to the top before I start giving back. I give back through knowledge sharing and helping others grow. I will help you as much as I can. I believe with the help of God we will all get there. I see a day in which Nigerians, like myself and you, will feed this nation and many others.

Abayomi
Crystal Gold.

(1) (Reply)

You Dont Need To Resign To Start Argricultural Business / Large Quantity Of Crey Fish For Sale / Framers Come Get Loans Without Collaterals... It No Joke... It Is Real

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.