Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:05 AM

The Average Nigerian Student And Religion. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Average Nigerian Student And Religion. (405 Views)

JAMB's Snake: Nigerian Student Disgraced Abroad / Nigerian Student Scores Zero In Screening & Admitted, Says It Is The Work Of God / IMT Masscom Student And Exam Malpractice Skills (pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Average Nigerian Student And Religion. by Nobody: 5:36pm On May 22, 2016
This is a case study of what is happening in my school and most probably happening in yours also.
Religion has eaten deep into our mind such that education is now a secondary priority since our duty on earth is to serve God so as to make heaven.
I am the only one in the midst of my roommate that has a different view of all this entirely, its even worse cos they think i have backslided or missed it shocked how will Nigeria get better with this kind of 21st century students?? While our mates abroad are doing just fine and excelling in their course of study we are here making religion our primary need even in school.
I remember one of my free thinker lecturer gave a scenerio in class, i am sure he is also aware if the fact that students now takes religion more important than school. He said " if a white man and a black man are going in a direction and it happens that they both encounter a big mountain that wouldn't let them go beyond..." Even bfr he could finish the religious minded bros and sis started saying the African man would kneel down and pray to God to remove it since there is nothing he cannot do shocked 500L students!!! Can you imagine?? Whereas the white man would find machines and tools to break it down. Do we lack common sense?? I remember a brother in my DPT also had a problem with his system, instead of finding solutions he started speaking in toungue ontop system. I have a roommate that wishes to go abroad for her masters but in her religious mind she is not sure whether it is the will of God for her to go and study there. I gave up on her mentality that day! Even the pastors that are preaching the concept of will of God will not think twice bfr sending their kids abroad to get a better education.
To be continued...
Re: The Average Nigerian Student And Religion. by Nobody: 5:49pm On May 22, 2016
Have i forgotten to tell you about how they form clique amomg themselves and starts praying loudly without minding if students are around reading or smth, you dare not talk self so they wont take you as a child of the devil. Even on sunday evening sometimes the groups could be up to ten comprising of diff fellowship, is God deaf to them that they continually need to remind him?? Inside bus nko?? A friend was telling me how they kept praying for Nigeria in her fellowship/church as if something else was involved, i was just looking at her. This is the prayer that your grandma prayed and handed over to your mum now she has handed over to you and shes gonna probably leave d same for her kids. How many prayers did america, china, korean prayed bfr they got to where they are today?? When are we going to start thinking outside of religious box??
One even said there is a particular person God has appointed to be your spouse on earth grin if as 21st century students we still think and reason like this then am sorry for Nigeria.
Re: The Average Nigerian Student And Religion. by donifez(m): 10:11am On Sep 11, 2016
I am happy I am not the only one with such mindset. I believe in God but the way we take religion in Africa is just not it. Although, not all are in such "clique " as you said above. There are some fanatics that make religion a burden. Do not listen to such music,it is a sin. Do not do this or that. They are free to increase the volume for Frank Edward song... do so for Lil Wayne (they look at you in disdain). They tend to be manipulative, taking decision for you in your own life. In the case of reading... they disturb with chants of prayers when they see you reading, if you complain... you are an agent of Devil in level 9.

Well , I have learnt to give most of them space, if they bring that self righteousness thing to my comfort zone, I do tell them off.

Africa is just so backward when it comes to religion, they need a forward flip.

(1) (Reply)

Auchi Poly Students Stage Protest (pictured) / Sap Grc Online Training In India / Information Technology And Accounting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.