Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,161 members, 7,818,533 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:07 PM

Reviewing Christian Apologetics Vs Christian Activism - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Reviewing Christian Apologetics Vs Christian Activism (2490 Views)

Muslim VS Christian Debates @ Adamasingba Oyo State Ibadan Today / Muslim Paradise Vs Christian Paradise (must Read) / Muslim Heaven VS Christian Heaven (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reviewing Christian Apologetics Vs Christian Activism by Gombs(m): 7:00pm On May 22, 2016
I would like to take time to review the above subject, and though it will take a period of time to finish up, a start isn't out of place. For the benefit of those who may find this topic strange, I'd take time to define some of the terms above. Note however, that my definition and opinion are from the standpoint of the word.

According to wikipedia, Christian apologetics is a field of Christian theology that presents reasoned bases for Christianity, defending Christianity against objections.

I'd however take the definition of a well learned man I know.

Apologetics refers to a systematic argumentative discourse in defence of the gospel or doctrine.

The results of apologetics are clear for us to see, and it has no doubt failed over the years. Wikipedia and some other folks referred to Paul as an apologetic, this I will treat later on in this discourse. However, it is worthy to note that the days of Christian Apologetics is over, and it is amazing that all theological schools have courses for Christian Apologetics, but NONE offer Christian Activism, because few know that Jesus, Paul, the apostles and all the Prophets were Activists, while the others are in the dark of what Apologetics and Activism is. Christians are activists by nature, message and calling, we were never 'designed' to be silent.

Activism on the other hand is a doctrine that emphasises direct vigorous actions or confrontation. This has nothing to do with violence.

Christians MUST understand that the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ is NOT an opinion, it is a command, and we've got to let the world know. Why must Christian be whipped around first before they stand up and speak? Why are we apologetic about the gospel?

Christian Activism is the purest form of what we could term Islamic fanaticism. Any Christian who refused to protest in the face of injustice is stupid! Jesus was an activist, and there are instances dotted all over the bible. Firstly, let's look at Matthew 21:10-16 and Mark 11:15-16. For sake of long post, I would not quote them, but they were instances where Jesus was protesting, demanding and advocating. Another example is in Mark 3:1-7. He didn't do these to drag position, He simply showed the people He wasn't a push over, and what was right to do was supposed to be done rightly. He showed how transformation can occur!

It was clear Jesus wasn't the quiet type (I am not saying he was loquacious)
-he debated Jewish rabbis.
-he fed the hungry and poor.
-he stopped the stoning of a woman.
-he expressed compassion towards others, and encouraged his followers to treat others with compassion.
-he showed his distaste for the money changers and lenders, by upturning their tables in the temple (a single man, He wasn't with an army, his disciples didn't help Him..you should imagine the fury and dominance, for the bible says HE did not let any man take a vessel through the temple).

Wasn't Jesus showing others that participating actively to bring about a better world is necessary?

Time will fail me to write about Paul! But, there are certain important things necessary for one to be a Christian Activist.

1. CONVICTION: You must be resolved, resolute and firm about your stance on the Gospel of Jesus. This of course makes the devil mark you as a target. The muslim radicals are ready to blow themselves up for what they believe in, even as wrong as it is, but it is an inspiring example of firm resolve for what you believe in ( I am in no way saying Christians should embrace violence as a means of change, I'm saying speaking up in a direct, confrontational and vigorous action.

a little example, Fuel price was shot up, and no explanation to Nigerians how much was the said subsidy and why was it said that no subsidy existed during the 2012 protest. I'm not for or against the increase, buy Why must the citizens of Nigeria be made to suffer the mismanagement of the economy? The fact that some are ok with the price and play coy, what about those who can't? This is where Christian leadership fail me in Nigeria.

No single protest, and if it is done, it is a press conference in an apologetic manner! The Church leadership in Nigeria has being mute over sensitive issues, leaving Christianity looking like a team of sorry people. The recent Kaduna brouhaha was not addressed as it should in a firm, direct and confrontational manner... but take in contrast when we tried to speak up against Child- Bride, see how the Muslim folks went about it, and the said Senator had the nerves to say his religion is superior to the constitution of a secular nation as Nigeria, yet the Nigerian Church leadership was mute.

these need to change, and fast! The church has to rise up, knowing they are the ground and pillar of truth...the light of the world.

...to be continued

2 Likes

Re: Reviewing Christian Apologetics Vs Christian Activism by Gombs(m): 2:23pm On Feb 03, 2017
Wow..

A good read after all this while.
Re: Reviewing Christian Apologetics Vs Christian Activism by GoodMuyis(m): 2:32pm On Feb 03, 2017
I will be back !sooner

1 Like

Re: Reviewing Christian Apologetics Vs Christian Activism by shadeyinka(m): 8:13am On Feb 04, 2017
I quite agree with your discourse except your choice of definition of apologetics which I find fairly biased

Apologetics refers to a systematic argumentative discourse in defence of the gospel or doctrine.

For me, Apologetics is just a systematic and logical answers/explanations to theological issues and questions (which are mainly subjective: through Faith/Believe).

Apologetics needn't be an argument.

In teaching doctrinal matters, I prefer to explain theological doctrines rather than just to dish them out.

Other than this, it is a beautiful writeup.

(1) (Reply)

Why Many Christians Will Miss The Rapture! / Who Is Jesus?.......lets Reason...... / Sodom And Gomorrah: The Link Between Idolatry, Homosexuality and Wickedness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.