Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,646 members, 7,820,254 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:11 PM

CRISES - CBN Has Agreed To Float Naira !! - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CRISES - CBN Has Agreed To Float Naira !! (953 Views)

We Can’t Float Naira, Cbn Tells Imf / We Simply Can't Allow The Naira To Float - Osinbajo / N3million Naira, What Business Profitable Business Can It Float? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

CRISES - CBN Has Agreed To Float Naira !! by citizenisb: 11:06pm On May 24, 2016
The Central Bank Governor Godwin Emefiele today announced that the CBN was adopting a “flexible foreign exchange rate” regime in an apparent admission of policy failure and a belated response to the current economic disaster that the country is in.

The CBN Governor in a press briefing following the conclusion of the CBN Monetary Policy Committee meeting explained that “The MPC (Monetary Policy Committee) voted unanimously to adopt a flexible exchange rate policy to restore the automatic adjustment properties of the exchange rate,”.

He also said that “retain a small window for funding critical transactions” and that “details of operations of the market would be released by the central bank at the appropriate time”.

The adoption of a “flexible exchange rate” regime is basically the CBN allowing the Naira to float against the dollar at the interbank, rather than holding on to a fixed peg.

In what our analysts refer to as “semi-float” the CBN stopped shy of announcing a full float because it still resolved to retain the official exchange rate of N199 which it says it will use for funding “critical transactions.”

What this means however is that buyers of forex for holiday, school fees, medical tourism, online payments etc. purposes, will have to source for forex from the interbank at market determined rates and will no longer be able to buy forex at N199 or whatever official rate the CBN decides to adopt.

So no more round tripping, no more arbitrage (at least except you are Buhari or Emefiele or whoever they sell to at N199). The CBN has basically shut the window to all Nigerians
looking to buy dollars at official rates.

http://nairametrics.com/official-cbn-floats-the-naira-what-it-means/
Re: CRISES - CBN Has Agreed To Float Naira !! by EasternLeopard: 11:08pm On May 24, 2016
In one year, the economy has crashed under Buhari.

1 Like

Re: CRISES - CBN Has Agreed To Float Naira !! by SweetGuy225: 11:20pm On May 24, 2016
This is actually the only important decision this new government has made.
The question to be asked now is? What happens to the 27 billion Dollars foreign reserve now that it is no longer needed?
Re: CRISES - CBN Has Agreed To Float Naira !! by olatunjithomas(m): 11:27pm On May 24, 2016
I was just looking at my phone screen as if an infinix hot2 can just transform into iPhone 6s.
but seriously, what is all this rubbish, call the man...

Buuharriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, come over here now before I count 4!!!
Re: CRISES - CBN Has Agreed To Float Naira !! by UdohOby(f): 11:33pm On May 24, 2016
Oh God, help Nigeria and Nigerians. At first, I thought Buhari had a plan, but now it is clearly written on the wall.

Some people should get ready for more suffering, cus I and my family shall prosper even when the economy has crashed.
Survival of the fittest mode activated.

2 Likes

Re: CRISES - CBN Has Agreed To Float Naira !! by citizenisb: 5:29am On May 25, 2016

1 Like

Re: CRISES - CBN Has Agreed To Float Naira !! by onatisi(m): 6:07am On May 25, 2016
UdohOby:
Oh God, help Nigeria and Nigerians. At first, I thought Buhari had a plan, but now it is clearly written on the wall.

Some people should get ready for more suffering, cus I and my family shall prosper even when the economy has crashed.
Survival of the fittest mode activated.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Fidelity Bank Is Recruiting Direct Sales Agent / Powerful And Best Free Bulk Sms Business Proposal-Fresh Bulk Sms / Who Is Interested In Starting Up A Book Ecommerce Site?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.