Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,152 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:59 AM

Job Hunting Tips For Nigerians - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Job Hunting Tips For Nigerians (626 Views)

Politics. Who Will Reclaim Nigeria For Nigerians? / Christmas And Fuel Punishment For Nigerians / You Should Not Be Caught In These If You Are Job Hunting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Job Hunting Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 10:09am On May 25, 2016
Hello all,
Let me just help you guys as I have worked at a senior management level in the top online recruitment websites in Nigeria here in the past.
Please spread this to all fellow job seekers

The best online job sites

You see job websites fall into 3 categories 1. Direct jobs, 2. Referrals and 3 scrappers.

1 Direct job sites are websites that have direct links with the HR managers , job agencies and Employers. These employers have signed contracts with these websites to post their jobs on the websites and they pay the website per hired candidate. These are the most recommended job sites as they have legit jobs with verifiable companies and NGOs. Only dully signed employers have access to your ata hence you data is safest with tese websites.
These websites do back ground employer checks to save job seekers from scammers.

These are my top picks for Nigerian job seekers:
www.ngcareers.com. www.. www.linkedin.com, www. , www.jobsguru.com, www.expertier.com, www.monster.com, www.indeed.com
The career section of major brands and companies websites.

2. Referal websites:
These are websites that both have contracts with a few employers usually for trial purposes as these websites don't have the solid backing and reputation yet of the direct websites hence employers are less inclined to give these websites direct vacancies always.
These re also recommended but their jobs usually appear a few hours behind the direct websites hence when you are applying you would see the job had been their for a while. And usually when you apply for jobs on these websites you are redirected to apply on another jobs website.
These websites don't do any back ground checks but reply on the quality of the website they refer jobs from hence they don't just refer from just any website, they chose reputable websites.

My picks for this category are as follows:
www.linkedin.com (yes LinkedIn in doubles as a direct and federal website) , www.careers24.com , www. Nairaland vacancies section, www.naij.com careers section

3. The last and definitely the least ,
These websites are not direct nor are they referral these are websites that have staff called scrappers who job copy job link URLs they are more concerned with clicks than job seekers safety , they post out dated jobs, they just want high number of visits to their website and usually they are not primarily a jobs website in the first place, most times they are the job section of another website.

I would advise job seekers to avoid these websites just to be safe as usually your data is minned from these sites by scam employers
But surely I must add most of the premium job websites found in category 1 all started this way, from jobberman to ngcareers, they all started out as job scrapping websites but they later grew due to a clear vision and professionalism.so goven time maybe just maybe these websites will improve their techniques and start giving out quality vacancies.
My list of notorious sites
www.
Vacancy sections of entertainment blogs, seriously why would anyone put their data down in the career section of a music blog like 360noobs is beyond me.
Avoid career sectiona of blogs or websites that are into entertainment,Nigeria isn't yet at that level where they a professional in all things.

Well this is what I have for now, do follow this topic as in the coming weeks I will drop some online job application tips, and
1. what to subscribe for and not what to.
2. A review of the top job websites in Nigeria as regards cost and the most likely websites to give you Jobs.
3. Offline job hunting technics
4. I will review from www.shirtlistnigeria.com premium to Jobberman placement plus, to ngcareers premium, I will try to get feedback from people who have used these type of premium services in all the top job sites in Nigeria and share the feedback here to save job seekers from wasting their money.
5 as time goes on I will order career tips and such.
Please feel free to drop you own input as regards websites I may have forgotten to mention in the categories above.
This thread is strictly for job seeking experiences , tips and advise.
Thank you

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

5 types Of Nairalanders You'll Definitely See / Ict For Change – Huawei Partners With Fgn To Train 2,000 In Ict / Who Is With My Brother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.