Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,269 members, 7,811,774 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:22 PM

Revival Of African Civilization - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Revival Of African Civilization (876 Views)

Global Revival Of Holiness Ministry Presents Global Annual Confrenece / Holineness And Righteousness Revival Messages And Bible Verses / A World Without God And Death of Civilization! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Revival Of African Civilization by RajputMaster24: 12:35am On May 26, 2016
Dear Friends, what efforts are underway in Nigeria or Africa to revive the African civilization and bring back traditional African religion to its past golden glory and popularity? Is there any work being done to bring back African religion?
Re: Revival Of African Civilization by Nobody: 1:30am On May 26, 2016
RajputMaster24:
Dear Friends, what efforts are underway in Nigeria or Africa to revive the African civilization and bring back traditional African religion? Is there any work being done to bring back African religion?
African religion has never died, and it's not important.

African civilization on the other hand - the economic, social and political civilization is restrained and under continuous attack from capitalism, democracy ( and other forms of neo colonialism, ) and cultural imperialism.

1 Like

Re: Revival Of African Civilization by RajputMaster24: 1:38am On May 26, 2016
Muafrika2:

African religion has never died, and it's not important.

African civilization on the other hand - the economic, social and political civilization is restrained and under continuous attack from capitalism, democracy ( and other forms of neo colonialism, ) and cultural imperialism.

Thanks for the reply my friend, I changed the original question up a bit. I didn't mean to imply that African religion is dead.
Re: Revival Of African Civilization by Nobody: 1:48am On May 26, 2016
RajputMaster24:

Thanks for the reply my friend, I changed the original question up a bit. I didn't mean to imply that African religion is dead.
It's no problem. Am not a proponent of African traditional religion. I am for the social, economic and political reorganization of modern times.

What I mean is that most people who are in other religions mix traditional beliefs. There are many churches still practicing a suspect mix of African spiritual beliefs and Christianity or Islam.
Re: Revival Of African Civilization by Nobody: 1:15pm On May 26, 2016
lol...which African civilization.
Re: Revival Of African Civilization by macof(m): 3:39pm On Jun 07, 2016
I don't like to see African Traditional Religion as Religion at all, people call it religion having western ideas in mind

in Yoruba only recently did people start saying "esin ibile" - native religion
but it's wrong. .. It is Isese or Aborisha - Which is best translated as "Yoruba elements of spirituality" or " veneration of Orisa"

there's no yoruba history or culture without the Orishas, you would be deceiving yourself to say you support yoruba culture but hate isese. ..isese is yoruba culture.

the yoruba elements in question are the Yoruba language, culture, tradition and history revolving around Spirituality. ..that is why in incantations and chants it is Yoruba language...Yoruba words that are so deep, in festivals reenactments of past events are done. festivals are set in accordance with the traditional calendar system. Everything isese is yoruba culture, language, history, tradition

@ Muafrika2 @ RajputMaster24
Re: Revival Of African Civilization by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jun 07, 2016
macof:
I don't like to see African Traditional Religion as Religion at all, people call it religion having western ideas in mind

in Yoruba only recently did people start saying "esin ibile" - native religion
but it's wrong. .. It is Isese or Aborisha - Which is best translated as "Yoruba elements of spirituality" or " veneration of Orisa"

there's no yoruba history or culture without the Orishas, you would be deceiving yourself to say you support yoruba culture but hate isese. ..isese is yoruba culture.

the yoruba elements in question are the Yoruba language, culture, tradition and history revolving around Spirituality. ..that is why in incantations and chants it is Yoruba language...Yoruba words that are so deep, in festivals reenactments of past events are done. festivals are set in accordance with the traditional calendar system. Everything isese is yoruba culture, language, history, tradition

@ Muafrika2 @ RajputMaster24

That may have been the case. Religion and culture could not be separated - because culture is an expression of beliefs. However, in our age religion seems to be one thing and cultural values another. So its possible. Also, the structure of the society has changed to the extent that African religious practices and beliefs are not practical for the most part.

For example:
It's African culture to take care of old parents. Someone, explaining to me why traditionally it is so, said the parents are your gods on earth. That's culture with a religious aspect. We can have the care without the spiritual reverence though. We can live in peace and as one without blood covenants, sacrifices and rituals used for the same traditionally. The culture here would be strong suppotive communities. We can go to war without taking oath. Just the same way other aspects of culture have evolved (planting, naming, circumcision, burial) have continued but without the spirituality that was involved before.

The imposition of the European civilization that emphasises on individual effort and less spirituality has made the society rethink about the purpose of some aspects of traditional religion. Let's also not forget that African spirituality was not just bound to culture, but to economic activities, and things like architecture. Pastoralist communities have religious beliefs that involve pastoralism and their animal's. I've seen (on TV) maasai possessed by spirits that sounded and made them act like cows, farmers had similar attachments/beliefs concerning certain crops, land etc. Now, farming and cattle keeping are mostly business ventures.

In my community for example, there was a certain emphasis on building materials, building plans, even builders. The use of the circle for instance. Circular huts, roofs, compound and neighbourhood, dancing, et cetera.(Come to think of it, the obsession with the circle looks a bit occultic). It's impossible to revive all those. Have you noticed that diviners who are still surviving will have a traditional basic material structure in their compound specifically for their spiritual divination. Frankly, we'd have to invent new gods to accommodate the radical transformations that the society has since gone through.
Re: Revival Of African Civilization by macof(m): 10:55pm On Jun 07, 2016
Muafrika2:

That may have been the case. Religion and culture could not be separated - because culture is an expression of beliefs. However, in our age religion seems to be one thing and cultural values another. So its possible. Also, the structure of the society has changed to the extent that African religious practices and beliefs are not practical for the most part.

For example:
It's African culture to take care of old parents. Someone, explaining to me why traditionally it is so, said the parents are your gods on earth. That's culture with a religious aspect. We can have the care without the spiritual reverence though. We can live in peace and as one without blood covenants, sacrifices and rituals used for the same traditionally. The culture here would be strong suppotive communities. We can go to war without taking oath. Just the same way other aspects of culture have evolved (planting, naming, circumcision, burial) have continued but without the spirituality that was involved before.

The imposition of the European civilization that emphasises on individual effort and less spirituality has made the society rethink about the purpose of some aspects of traditional religion. Let's also not forget that African spirituality was not just bound to culture, but to economic activities, and things like architecture. Pastoralist communities have religious beliefs that involve pastoralism and their animal's. I've seen (on TV) maasai possessed by spirits that sounded and made them act like cows, farmers had similar attachments/beliefs concerning certain crops, land etc. Now, farming and cattle keeping are mostly business ventures.

In my community for example, there was a certain emphasis on building materials, building plans, even builders. The use of the circle for instance. Circular huts, roofs, compound and neighbourhood, dancing, et cetera.(Come to think of it, the obsession with the circle looks a bit occultic). It's impossible to revive all those. Have you noticed that diviners who are still surviving will have a traditional basic material structure in their compound specifically for their spiritual divination. Frankly, we'd have to invent new gods to accommodate the radical transformations that the society has since gone through.

it's not every time we say "God" or speak of the divine that we are practicing religion

sometimes it's just the Awe inspired by the way Nature works

the ancient Greeks or Yorubas certainly never had the practice of religion as a big part of their society despite making huge reference to the divine

same can be said of modern turkey, they call Allah all the time, study islam but don't follow it like their lives depended on it

2 Likes

Re: Revival Of African Civilization by GooseBaba: 8:36pm On Jun 08, 2016
RajputMaster24:
Dear Friends, what efforts are underway in Nigeria or Africa to revive the African civilization and bring back traditional African religion to its past golden glory and popularity? Is there any work being done to bring back African religion?

Revive... shocked shocked..

Lolz..... It's alive and well. The assault from Mainstream media and government neglect would have you think that way. If we want it to take its rightful seat, the crown that encompasses the overall identity of a dignified african. Then yes! There's work to be done.

As a deistic traditionalist. I acknowledge the teachings of my ancestral God/Gods because it enhances my dignity and delicious pride. But the cool part is that I bow before none. And a bonified traditionalist could care less. That's the beauty of ATR

What we should revive is "dignity in self"..heritage and culture.

1 Like

Re: Revival Of African Civilization by macof(m): 9:07am On Jun 09, 2016
GooseBaba:

Revive... shocked shocked..

Lolz..... It's alive and well. The assault from Mainstream media and government neglect would have you think that way. If we want it to take its rightful seat, the crown that encompasses the overall identity of a dignified african. Then yes! There's work to be done.

As a deistic traditionalist. I acknowledge the teachings of my ancestral God/Gods because it enhances my dignity and delicious pride. But the cool part is that I bow before none. And a bonified traditionalist could care less. That's the beauty of ATR

What we should revive is "dignity in self"..heritage and culture.

very correct bro.

it's not about the rituals, priestly orders etc but the culture of respect, art, family bonding, fashion, music. it's about the language, the tradition of marriage, motherhood, our laws, our history and all these things that africa is losing

the real religious aspect of Ancient african societies aren't dead(except for few african groups that have become totally islamized) or need "revival" what they need is appreciation and can only come from reviving the African culture
what needs revival is the way an african ought to behave, appreciate his identity.

when an igbo man is really proud to be igbo and knows what it is to be igbo, he doesn't need to start knocking his head and bowing in Ikenga shrine or temple every morning but he certainly won't condemn Ikenga for one dead jew

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Bridget Agbanime Was Murdered In Kofar Wambai Market Kano / The Apostles Of Jesus Christ And How They Died / A Peep Into Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo Massive Office

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.