Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,581 members, 7,837,192 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

What Happened To "Tomato Ajase" Or Ajase Tomatoes? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / What Happened To "Tomato Ajase" Or Ajase Tomatoes? (845 Views)

Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / Kaduna State Commissions Tomato Pack House (photo) / Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happened To "Tomato Ajase" Or Ajase Tomatoes? by 2sexycom(m): 5:01pm On May 27, 2016
While growing up with a friend whose mother sold tomatoes, I learned from him that there are 2 ypes of tomato species in Nigeria-the one cultivated by the hausas and the one by the yorubas.

I never really thought of it until I started reminiscing about my childhood days or shall I say daydreaming? I mean the tomatoes from the Ajase people was competing with the ones from the North.

Having noticed that current shortage of tomatoes from the North in the country, I am forced to ask what happened happened to the Ajase tomatoes?

Did the Yorubas abandon their farms and left the North to produce virtually everything? I bet they did, otherwise, we wouldn't be having this problem we currently experience.

People say what does the North produce but I can tell you that ALMOST everything we eat in this country come from there, including Egusi that south devour with pounded yam.

This is really bad and we need to know what happened.

lalasticlala, please help push this to front page.
Re: What Happened To "Tomato Ajase" Or Ajase Tomatoes? by checkolatunji: 5:29pm On May 27, 2016
FTC grin grin grin

Will come back to comment
Re: What Happened To "Tomato Ajase" Or Ajase Tomatoes? by automatix: 5:35pm On May 27, 2016
Yorubas have become too lazy to farm. Pathetic.
Re: What Happened To "Tomato Ajase" Or Ajase Tomatoes? by louqas: 5:41pm On May 27, 2016
The south has been sleepibg while the north is expanding its agricultural base to the extent that we now have to depend on the north for something as simple to grow as tomatoes . The reason is that through irrigation the north has been producing tomatoes one other vegetables all year round and the current scarcity of tomatoes is as a result of disease that has destroyed most of the tomatoes in the north .it is only now that the Yoruba local tomatoes are coming out that the price began reducing .
The south should wake up
Re: What Happened To "Tomato Ajase" Or Ajase Tomatoes? by rose54321: 6:00pm On May 27, 2016
The southerners (including myself unfortunately) have abandoned farming for the north.

Now we are only interested in white collar jobs, what we fail to understand is that white collar jobs are another form of slavery, you dedicate the bigger proportion of your life (Monday - Friday; 8-5 for at least 35years) working for somebody, growing someone else's company and get in return stipends.

My people perish not for lack of knowledge but for outright stupidity.
Re: What Happened To "Tomato Ajase" Or Ajase Tomatoes? by automatix: 6:26pm On May 27, 2016
louqas:
The south has been sleepibg while the north is expanding its agricultural base to the extent that we now have to depend on the north for something as simple to grow as tomatoes . The reason is that through irrigation the north has been producing tomatoes one other vegetables all year round and the current scarcity of tomatoes is as a result of disease that has destroyed most of the tomatoes in the north .it is only now that the Yoruba local tomatoes are coming out that the price began reducing .
The south should wake up
the most surprising is that the North now produces Egusi... chai.
Re: What Happened To "Tomato Ajase" Or Ajase Tomatoes? by 2sexycom(m): 9:28am On May 31, 2016
rose54321:
The southerners (including myself unfortunately) have abandoned farming for the north.

Now we are only interested in white collar jobs, what we fail to understand is that white collar jobs are another form of slavery, you dedicate the bigger proportion of your life (Monday - Friday; 8-5 for at least 35years) working for somebody, growing someone else's company and get in return stipends.

My people perish not for lack of knowledge but for outright stupidity.
in the end, the south will open their stinking mouth and call north mumu. Did u notice that their tradition up north hasn't changed much?

(1) (Reply)

Admacine Currently Available In Ibadan / Automatic Donut Machine / Got A Wild Animal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.