Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,350 members, 7,822,653 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

Help : How To Deal With HYPONATREMIA ? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Help : How To Deal With HYPONATREMIA ? (662 Views)

How Do I Deal With Excruciating Ulcer? / Help! How Can One Get Rid Of Kidney Stones? / HELP!! How Can I Get Rid Of The Keloid Scar On My Head? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help : How To Deal With HYPONATREMIA ? by guy1234: 5:31pm On May 29, 2016
Please docs,

my mum was in a highly confused , restless and hallucinatory condition sometimes last week. On getting to emergency in Luth, she was diagnosed with HYPONATREMIA and hypokalemia ( low sodium and potassium ) .

She was treated with sodium chloride drip and kcl. We were discharged after 5 days. On discharge, her sodium level was up to 131. And later on Thursday it has gotten to 135.2
Potassium level is at 3.5

The problem now is that she still has signs of confusion and some restlessness although not as much as before admission. And she finds it hard to sleep.

We were prescribed haloperidol 5mg once daily till we get to the clinic next Thursday.

Please how can we manage this her confusion and restlessness. She can hardly remember what she wants to do next,she's also very dull.

Please help.
Re: Help : How To Deal With HYPONATREMIA ? by Baroba(m): 1:01am On May 30, 2016
Am not a big fan of that haloperidol, why give anti psychotic medication when you mum has no history.. I would have preferred a small stat dose of lorazepam 0.5mg..

Please just monitor her vital signs especially systolic bp, electrolyte imbalance can lead to acute confusion and periods of restlessness.

If her bp is low, haloperidol can equally lead to orthostatic drop in bp, just stop giving it to her and see a physician..
Re: Help : How To Deal With HYPONATREMIA ? by guy1234: 6:28am On May 30, 2016
Baroba:
Am not a big fan of that haloperidol, why give anti psychotic medication when you mum has no history.. I would have preferred a small stat dose of lorazepam 0.5mg..

Please just monitor her vital signs especially systolic bp, electrolyte imbalance can lead to acute confusion and periods of restlessness.

If her bp is low, haloperidol can equally lead to orthostatic drop in bp, just stop giving it to her and see a physician..

Thank you so much for your comment. We were prescribed haloperidol 5mg daily on discharge from A&E.

Although she had a very similar experience in 2012, I do not know if she was diagnosed with HYPONATREMIA then, they mentioned panic attack in lasuth at that time. She's an hypertensive and her present bp hovers around 140/90 at the moment. Some days ago when she couldn't sleep,

we had to give her diazepam 5mg, although this calms her down and she gets better after the sleep, but when the drug wears off, she starts showing signs of memory loss and some restlessness.
Re: Help : How To Deal With HYPONATREMIA ? by guy1234: 6:28am On May 30, 2016
Baroba:

Re: Help : How To Deal With HYPONATREMIA ? by guy1234: 6:29am On May 30, 2016
Baroba:

Thank you so much for your comment. We were prescribed haloperidol 5mg daily on discharge from A&E.

Although she had a very similar experience in 2012, I do not know if she was diagnosed with HYPONATREMIA then, they mentioned panic attack in lasuth at that time. She's an hypertensive and her present bp hovers around 140/90 at the moment. Some days ago when she couldn't sleep,

we had to give her diazepam 5mg, although this calms her down and she gets better after the sleep, but when the drug wears off, she starts showing signs of memory loss and some restlessness.

She's was managed by a renal team on admission, but we were also told to see a psych team, but that is still till Thursday this week.
Re: Help : How To Deal With HYPONATREMIA ? by Baroba(m): 9:56am On May 30, 2016
I was going to reply you but this useless spambot banned me, anyway I think a psyche review is the right step, Her bp is pre hypertensive nothing major considering other factors, just need monitoring....she needs a thorough evaluation of her mental state.. Since the medics have treated her for hyponatremia, pysches should be the ones doing the diagnosis henceforth..I will suggest a full CT head scan.. it is well with mama..
Re: Help : How To Deal With HYPONATREMIA ? by guy1234: 12:05pm On May 30, 2016
Baroba:
I was going to reply you but this useless spambot banned me, anyway I think a psyche review is the right step, Her bp is pre hypertensive nothing major considering other factors, just need monitoring....she needs a thorough evaluation of her mental state.. Since the medics have treated her for hyponatremia, pysches should be the ones doing the diagnosis henceforth..I will suggest a full CT head scan.. it is well with mama..

Thank you so much for your input. So should we continue with d haloperidol 5 mg twice daily, and d Valium 5mg at night with her till her appointment on Thursday ? Or should we consider the lorazepam ?
Re: Help : How To Deal With HYPONATREMIA ? by Baroba(m): 7:12am On May 31, 2016
Well since she is already on Haloperidol, that really should be calming her down by now, try not to stuff her with too many sedatives before Thursday appointment, you don't want to turn her into a " zombie", awake at nights, then drowsy daytime. You should just try and manage her till Thursday.. It will benefit her and you if they can get a clear picture before commencing treatment..

(1) (Reply)

Disturbing Photo / Order Online Medicine In India -- Max Pharmacy / Fertility

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.