Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,185 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:22 AM

Campus Politcs Or Self Development? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Campus Politcs Or Self Development? (649 Views)

Online Poll On Student's Plan After School, White Collar Job Or Self-employed / Self Development: The Secret To All Round Rest In Life. / 5 Top Reasons Why Some Girls Go Into Campus Runs. My Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Campus Politcs Or Self Development? by Crispels(m): 8:08am On May 30, 2016
Am a student from the best University in the South East. I study History and International Studies. Am in my third year. Presently, am faced with a puzzle. Firstly, am a student politician/unionist/leader. I currently serve as the General Secretary of my Faculty. A position I took as the youngest in the History of my institution. Based on my track records, leadership qualities and innovative ideas, the Students' populace are urging me to test the waters of Students' Union leadership. However, am contemplating pulling out of Campus politics so as to explore other opportunities as an undergraduate. These opportunities includes - Taostmaters international programmes and certificates, debates, conferences, lectures etc. For instance, I will be a delegate at an upcoming United Nations programme. Am a decent 2'1 student, and I thirst to study harder to increase my CGPA that has dwindled as a result of my participation in campus politics. Campus politics consumes lots of money, time and energy. And even when you emerge, it brings about more stress and problems to face.

In terms of money, am okay, I lack no basic needs as am not even into campus politics for money but for the life lessons one learns from it. In terms of connection, am closer to my VC than even some SUG representatives as he loves the ideas I bring on board.

In summary, I want to focus more on my studies and seal my 2'1. I also want to explore other aspects of international opportunities like Toastmasters international, UN models, conferences, debates , improved scholarship et al.

More so, I already received a certificate of honour from the University authorities for my leadership qualities and contributions.

However, I believe am a born leader, filled with ideas and I evidently can serve the Student populace the best way possible. I see myself as a missing link. What is neeeded.

I can't combine the two, one has to step down for the other.

I plan to proceed to the United States for my postgraduate after my degree in Nigeria.

Your advice?

This happens to be the biggest decision of my life.
Re: Campus Politcs Or Self Development? by Crispels(m): 8:26am On May 30, 2016
Cc : Fynestboi Seun Lalasticlala Richies
Re: Campus Politcs Or Self Development? by RedCapChief(m): 10:04am On May 31, 2016
Decide what you want to do and commit yourself to it. Where do you see yourself in the future?
The long-term rewards of campus politics are negligible. The dynamics of real politics in Nigeria is not contingent of how much experience you have gained from campus politics.
Focus on gaining exposure and academic experience while as an undergrad. Expand your network and skill-set. Work towards getting a high CGPA so you can get some scholarship to future your education

(1) (Reply)

The 3 Real Reasons Why We cant stop Procrastination / University Of Ibadan [UI] Important Notice To All 2016/2017 Post-utme Admission / Pupils / Students In Osun State In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.