Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:23 AM

Useful Advice On Buying & Paying Required Duty For A Car In Cotonou By Oneself - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Useful Advice On Buying & Paying Required Duty For A Car In Cotonou By Oneself (1998 Views)

Please Help Me With Useful Advice On Ford Focus 1998-2004 Model. / VIN Check: 1 Step You Must Never Skip Before You Buy A Car In Nigeria / First Driverless Car In Nigeria In Lagos Today (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Useful Advice On Buying & Paying Required Duty For A Car In Cotonou By Oneself by bravolad(m): 10:09am On May 31, 2016
I seek information concerning purchasing a car from Cotonou and paying the required duty by myself. Is it possible for me to purchase a car & pay for the duty of the said car without going through a middleman/agent. This becomes necessary as most dealers are unscrupulous and would not pay the required duty for a car & choose other dubious means to bring the vehicle to Nigeria in order to make outrageous profit from the transaction.

Don't get me wrong, there are some sincere & genuine dealers but they are difficult to come by. Recently on Nairaland, we read stories of pre-Order deals going sour and none payment of duties by some conscienceless dealers. I have seen folks who paid some agents to deliver cars on their behalf from Cotonou but ended up regretting such decisions.

Given the above scenario, can I obtain valuation from the customs office & proceed to the bank for onward payment & in return obtain all necessary genuine documents regarding the particular vehicle from the Nigerian Customs Service. I also plan to drive the vehicle by myself to Lagos & consequently, to my destination. As part of the plan, I will to set out two weeks of my time for this purpose.

This thread aims to elicit contributions from devout & trustworthy dealers and Nairalanders who have gone this route so we can learn from them. In your response, kindly answer the following questions:

1. What are the stages of buying a car in Cotonou?
2. What are the challenges & issues to be encountered?
3. How would they be mitigated?
4. After payment of duty where can it be verified to ensure that all payments are valid?

Thank you so very immensely for your anticipated response.

1 Like

Re: Useful Advice On Buying & Paying Required Duty For A Car In Cotonou By Oneself by bravolad(m): 3:26pm On May 31, 2016
Waiting for your responses.
Re: Useful Advice On Buying & Paying Required Duty For A Car In Cotonou By Oneself by sultaan(m): 7:12pm On May 31, 2016
Your idea is actually how the system is meant to work, but our people made a simply process impossible.

There was a pdf on customs website on the process but not sure if the site still exists I'd anyone can pull it off this process should be sticky on top of page
Re: Useful Advice On Buying & Paying Required Duty For A Car In Cotonou By Oneself by bravolad(m): 7:21pm On Jun 01, 2016
sultaan:
Your idea is actually how the system is meant to work, but our people made a simply process impossible.

There was a pdf on customs website on the process but not sure if the site still exists I'd anyone can pull it off this process should be sticky on top of page

Thanks @Sultaan. They do not want to respond. Typical Nigerian way of life. Once people observe that you want to pay for a service by yourself without going through them, every effort will be made to frustrate it.

1 Like

Re: Useful Advice On Buying & Paying Required Duty For A Car In Cotonou By Oneself by d33types: 7:56am On Jun 02, 2016
waiting too.
Re: Useful Advice On Buying & Paying Required Duty For A Car In Cotonou By Oneself by AutoJoshNG: 8:56am On Jun 02, 2016
Hello Bravolad,

This your task no be small thing o. At the moment, it is more expensive to clear small and older cars (less than 2008) through Cotonou compared to Lagos. Cotonou is largely better for new, recent and luxury cars as it is easier to get a compromised import duty.

The first step is getting your laissez-passer and it is a must you work with a licensed clearing agent who will liaise between you and the government in respect of the duty payment. It's either you compromise and pay less duty or you insist on paying full duty which will probably be as much as Lagos duty.

Note that it is almost impossible to to drive any Cotonou vehicle with full confidence especially on interstates as Cotonou clearing is a definite red flag to Nigeria Customs.

Finally, you may be better off if you ensure the car you are buying has a Lagos clearing or you can import through Lagos port yourself. Endeavour to do a VIN check no matter the mode you choose to buy through: Lagos, Cotonou or importing from abroad.

AutoJoshNG
Re: Useful Advice On Buying & Paying Required Duty For A Car In Cotonou By Oneself by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jun 02, 2016
AutoJoshNG:
Hello Bravolad,
This your task no be small thing o. At the moment, it is more expensive to clear small and older cars (less than 2008) through Cotonou compared to Lagos. Cotonou is largely better for new, recent and luxury cars as it is easier to get a compromised import duty.
The first step is getting your laissez-passer and it is a must you work with a licensed clearing agent who will liaise between you and the government in respect of the duty payment. It's either you compromise and pay less duty or you insist on paying full duty which will probably be as much as Lagos duty.
Note that it is almost impossible to to drive any Cotonou vehicle with full confidence especially on interstates as Cotonou clearing is a definite red flag to Nigeria Customs.
Finally, you may be better off if you ensure the car you are buying has a Lagos clearing or you can import through Lagos port yourself. Endeavour to do a VIN check no matter the mode you choose to buy through: Lagos, Cotonou or importing from abroad.
AutoJoshNG
AutoJoshNG:
Hello Bravolad,
AutoJoshNG

are you trying to say one can not get a fully paid custom duty paper for a cotonu cleared car? I have been driving my car 2000 Passat for a year now and there is no state I have not travelled to with this car in the south west, with custom checking my paper and wishing me a safe trip. I actually enjoy their parting statement.
Re: Useful Advice On Buying & Paying Required Duty For A Car In Cotonou By Oneself by aieromon(m): 8:08pm On Jun 02, 2016
afoxy81:

are you trying to say one can not get a fully paid custom duty paper for a cotonu cleared car? I have been driving my car 2000 Passat for a year now and there is no state I have not travelled to with this car in the south west, with custom checking my paper and wishing me a safe trip. I actually enjoy their parting statement.

No customs officer will waste time stopping a 16 year old vehicle.

You still need to get a licensed clearing agent as NCS will avoid dealing directly with a private individual.
Re: Useful Advice On Buying & Paying Required Duty For A Car In Cotonou By Oneself by bravolad(m): 9:37pm On Jun 02, 2016
aieromon:

No customs officer will waste time stopping a 16 year old vehicle.

You still need to get a licensed clearing agent as NCS will avoid dealing directly with a private individual.

Custom Officials stop all vehicles they assume have just been cleared irrespective of the age of the vehicle.

@autojoshng that's part of the major challenge. Why would an agent choose to under pay for a vehicle for which the owner has paid him in order to ensure full duty payment? NCS holds car owners responsible for any compromise arising from duty payment when indeed, it should be the other way.

As a punitive measure, NCS should implement a policy of license withdrawal from such erring agents to serve as a caution to other intending offenders rather than punish an innocent car owner who desires an honest service. In addition, such agents should be made to face the full wrath of the law.

This measure will drastically reduce fraud if not outright elimination of such.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Useful Advice On Buying & Paying Required Duty For A Car In Cotonou By Oneself by fathermoo: 8:31pm On Jun 03, 2016
@bravolad, I believe it would be better to work through a customer officer if you choose to go solo. I also have a question, if a dealer say the car is in transit from cotonu, hoe long doll it take to get yo Lagos?
Re: Useful Advice On Buying & Paying Required Duty For A Car In Cotonou By Oneself by AutoJoshNG: 9:11pm On Jun 03, 2016
fathermoo:
@bravolad, I believe it would be better to work through a customer officer if you choose to go solo. I also have a question, if a dealer say the car is in transit from cotonu, hoe long doll it take to get yo Lagos?

Hello Fathermoo,

It depends on the stage of the transit. Is the car out of the Cotonou seaport already?

If yes, then it should take average of 24 hours to get to Lagos.

AutoJoshNG
Re: Useful Advice On Buying & Paying Required Duty For A Car In Cotonou By Oneself by AutoJoshNG: 9:27pm On Jun 03, 2016
bravolad:

Custom Officials stop all vehicles they assume have just been cleared irrespective of the age of the vehicle.

@autojoshng that's part of the major challenge. Why would an agent choose to under pay for a vehicle for which the owner has paid him in order to ensure full duty payment? NCS holds car owners responsible for any compromise arising from duty payment when indeed, it should be the other way.

As a punitive measure, NCS should implement a policy of license withdrawal from such erring agents to serve as a caution to other intending offenders rather than punish an innocent car owner who desires an honest service. In addition, such agents should be made to face the full wrath of the law.

This measure will drastically reduce fraud if not outright elimination of such.

@Bravolad,

You are very correct. The best solution is a reduction in the duty to a fixed amount that is affordable with no room for compromised duty.

The current rates are too high and most of the clearing agents we deal with don't have the custom clearing permit as they also subscribe to bigger agents that have. This gives them room for unprofessional practices as they don't have much at stake.

AutoJoshNG

(1) (Reply)

How Much Is Camry Big Light And Camry Tiny Light? / The New Mercedes S-class, It Has Some Really Intelligent Features. / A Golf 3 GT, Good Or Bad Car.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.