Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,400 members, 7,861,124 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:42 AM

Reading, Understanding And Recalling: 8 Sure Ways To Read, Understand And Recall - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Reading, Understanding And Recalling: 8 Sure Ways To Read, Understand And Recall (1204 Views)

The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read / Ways To Improve Your Study Habits And Recall Better / See 6 Realistic Tips To Improve Your Memory And Recall (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Reading, Understanding And Recalling: 8 Sure Ways To Read, Understand And Recall by Charleschidera(m): 4:15am On Jun 01, 2016
I have noticed that one of the challenges that student face in their area of studies is lack of understanding in what they are reading. But the greatest challenge among all is not having the ability to recall what they read. The reasons for these is
countless. It might be that the material you are reading was not well writing or that you are not fit to read at that moment. Some reasons might also depend on the environment that you are, like some areas that have noise pollution and it also depend on how comfortable you are while reading.

Though some people can read and understand in a noisy area or any conditions that they find themselves. But you cannot use because your friend likes playing music while reading to also play music while reading. I bet you that if you do so, you won’t be able to assimilate what you are studying.

NOTE PLEASE: The word “Reading” that I used here is also referring to “Studying”. So this article is also talking about the ways you can study perfectly. So let’s continue.

Nwankwo, et.al (2006) defines study skill as the aggregate of activities which facilitate acquiring, processing, storing, recalling and applying information available in oral and written source.

In the above definition, the points here are acquiring information, storing information, Recalling information and applying information. But am going to emphasis more on Recalling aspect.

The joy that we as a students have after reading is when we were able to understand and recall what we read. I have heard and also seen many people that complained that no matter how hard they read, they won’t be able to understand and recall it. I will like to make something clear here. I know you might be thinking that there is no way someone can read without understanding what he read. The truth is that, one might be understanding what he was reading at that moment but immediately he drops that particular book, he will forget all he has just read. We can say that the person lack retentive memory.

But what I believe is that, if one was able to read in a perfect and comfortable zone for example, there is no way he won’t understand and also recall what he read anytime.

So therefore, before I proceed with this article, I will like to ask you a few questions: Do you enjoy reading? Are you among those that read and understand but later forget what they read? Do you have a particular place that you stay to read? How comfortable do feel in that place? How comfortable and fit are you while reading? Are you among those that like playing music or staying in a noise place to read? Do you even have timetable on how you regulate your reading or you just reading according to what comes your mind? Are you facing any challenges in your academics? Well, all this questions are what I will try to explain and give solutions to. So, if the questions above relate to you in any way, proceed to read and see solutions.

In this post, I will be pointing out some ways in which you can follow while reading for perfect understanding and also recall at any time and any moment what you read. Without any further delay, let me rush to point out all we need for perfect reading, understanding and also building of retentive memory.

8 Sure Ways To Read, Understand and Recall Perfectly

1. Create a studying Timetable

This is the first point I will like to talk on. We all know the important of timetable. It helps to regulate the time in which things take place. It helps to control our daily activities. For we that are still in school, we can see how school timetable helps in regulating how lecturers comes to classes. Timetable is very important in human life and also daily activities.

Therefore, in other for you to enjoy perfect reading, understanding and also recalling, you have to create a timetable that control your activities. You can allot 2 hours to each course you want to study and make sure you use each allotted time judiciously. Make sure that you are being controlled by your timetable.

2. Read in your comfortable zone

One the thing that can cause lack of understanding while studying is when you read in a place that you do not feel comfortable with. Some people use because their friends like reading in the library to force themselves to read also in the library. Do you know that you can read in comfortably in your house or hostel? I have a friend that have not been to library since we got admission but he is making a good grade. He only use to read in the hostel and students common room. Am not saying that going to library is bad but am trying to say that you can read comfortable wherever you are. Some people choose going to a cool place like under the trees.

So therefore, choose a comfortable place that you can be reading. It can be in the library (very preferable because you can access and see different types of books from different authors), in the class, your apartment, hostel or student common room. In short, you know the best place for you.

3. Avoid distractions.

Yes, you have to avoid distractions. Distractions may come from the noise around where you stay or it may come from your friends. Imagine someone that lives close to main road, market or where music is been played always. Imagine when you... Read more at http://www.pearlword.com/2016/05/8-sure-ways-to-read-Understand-and-recall-perfectly.html?m=1

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Delta State Polytechnic, Ozoro Gets New Rector / Can One Re-register For Jamb This Year Again After Failing? / Dania, OAU First Class Graduate Breaks Record Of 28 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.