Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,107 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:01 AM

Is Maths Really The Language Of The Universe? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Is Maths Really The Language Of The Universe? (854 Views)

10 Myths And Realities About The Universe / Universe Or Multiverse. (A Discussion) / The Look Of The Entire Universe In One Picture -awesome! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Maths Really The Language Of The Universe? by donnffd(m): 9:23pm On Jun 01, 2016
How come a concept in which we invented explains the universe in great details?, is mathematics really just a construct of the human mind or is it really the fabric in which universe is made from and we just happen to discover it?

I am open to your views but heres my humble opinion, Humans evolved a brain to navigate the plains of southern africa, in present day Tanzania, we evolved the ability of absolute and wholeness, which unfortunately helped us survive, because we could recognize that two lions is a bigger threat than one lion, we gave entities uniquesness including ourselves and from there, able to group entities together.

Mathematics was born from the ability to do this, we counted and counted, subtracted and added. With time, we started complex operations and superimposed this construct on the universe, and it fitted perfectly that it seemed like it was already a part of it.

Even with that said, i have no reason to believe maths is an intrinsic part of the universe, the same way i dont believe being red is an actual property of an apple. We just evolved brains able to perceive certain wavelengths with hue, so it is with maths, its a construct from our biological history that helped us make sense of the world in which we live in.

Why it explains the universe in great details?, i dont know, but i do know that it is a construct, a representation of reality and it works perfectly. It just makes you marvel at the power of the human brain.

Finally, imagine an highly advanced alien race that evolved in a far more different setting than we did, do you think they would also use maths to study the universe?, or do they have a far more better construct that explains the universe far more better than mathematics could ever do?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Maths Really The Language Of The Universe? by davien(m): 3:45pm On Jun 02, 2016
Mathematics is a pool of our understanding of the logic based aspect of the universe itself...

Many aspects of the universe are shrunk down so that we can understand it, mathematics is one of them... the universe follows mathematics the same way it follows biology and chemistry.. they are it's features.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Maths Really The Language Of The Universe? by ValentineMary(m): 4:12pm On Jun 02, 2016
Our brains evolved seeing everything in pattern. Mathematics is one of them. We have had over 200,000 years to study patterns as Homo Sapian and mathematics is d result of it. Our perception of things gave rise to mathematics and science, the pattern we saw confirmed our perception. So in the human mind, the universe runs with d equations of mathematics.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Maths Really The Language Of The Universe? by HCpaul(m): 5:47pm On Jun 02, 2016
Mathematics is a language, a language of science, engineering and technology. It is not the language of the universe but just an expression of scientific models.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Maths Really The Language Of The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 6:37pm On Jun 02, 2016
HCpaul:
Mathematics is a language, a language of science, engineering and technology. It is not the language of the universe but just an expression of scientific models.

I love this.... 'A human lingual expression that is '
Re: Is Maths Really The Language Of The Universe? by SidL(m): 8:05pm On Jun 02, 2016
Interesting quote I found today.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Maths Really The Language Of The Universe? by SidL(m): 8:18pm On Jun 02, 2016
donnffd:
How come a concept in which we invented explains the universe in great details?, is mathematics really just a construct of the human mind or is it really the fabric in which universe is made from and we just happen to discover it?

I am open to your views but heres my humble opinion, Humans evolved a brain to navigate the plains of southern africa, in present day Tanzania, we evolved the ability of absolute and wholeness, which unfortunately helped us survive, because we could recognize that two lions is a bigger threat than one lion, we gave entities uniquesness including ourselves and from there, able to group entities together.

Mathematics was born from the ability to do this, we counted and counted, subtracted and added. With time, we started complex operations and superimposed this construct on the universe, and it fitted perfectly that it seemed like it was already a part of it.

Even with that said, i have no reason to believe maths is an intrinsic part of the universe, the same way i dont believe being red is an actual property of an apple. We just evolved brains able to perceive certain wavelengths with hue, so it is with maths, its a construct from our biological history that helped us make sense of the world in which we live in.

Why it explains the universe in great details?, i dont know, but i do know that it is a construct, a representation of reality and it works perfectly. It just makes you marvel at the power of the human brain.

Finally, imagine an highly advanced alien race that evolved in a far more different setting than we did, do you think they would also use maths to study the universe?, or do they have a far more better construct that explains the universe far more better than mathematics could ever do?

I think you give way too much credit to the human brain. The brain has as much relation to intelligence as coffee has with Pepsi in taste. You are not your brain. I would also not call a flash drive intelligent because it stores data--it simply has no idea what it is storing--garbage in, garbage out.

My money would be on a far much better construct. Mathematical equations are only as good as the premise upon which they are based and not unrelated to the hocus-pocus with which bankers perform their daily magic. It has it's value only when based on Truths, not conjecture or theory.
Re: Is Maths Really The Language Of The Universe? by donnffd(m): 8:41pm On Jun 02, 2016
SidL:
You are not your brain. I would also not call a flash drive intelligent because it stores data--it simply has no idea what it is storing--garbage in, garbage out.

I would respectfully disagree with you on these statements.

I believe that we are actually our brains. I extremely doubt that the brain is a computer or a flash drive, its far too complicated to be just that...the arrangement of the brain is so complex, that it became aware of its own existence, that in itself is freaking amazing.

Can you define you?, in the simplest of terms, i would say you is just a pattern of nerve firings in the brain that is miraculously aware and control driven with a high tendency for protecting itself...

Your brain dies, so does that illusion of You

1 Like

Re: Is Maths Really The Language Of The Universe? by SidL(m): 9:23pm On Jun 02, 2016
donnffd:

I would respectfully disagree with you on these statements.

I believe that we are actually our brains. I extremely doubt that the brain is a computer or a flash drive, its far too complicated to be just that...the arrangement of the brain is so complex, that it became aware of its own existence, that in itself is freaking amazing.

Can you define you?, in the simplest of terms, i would say you is just a pattern of nerve firings in the brain that is miraculously aware and control driven with a high tendency for protecting itself...

Your brain dies, so does that illusion of You

And yet, i have on countless occasions found myself apart from my body (Brain) and still endowed with the ability of self-awareness, other-awareness and extremely heightened analytical capacity which is presumed to be the office of the brain. In other words, I had no brain. Should you ever manage lucidity during your dream, check to see if you have a body, much less a brain. I respect your view point though that you are your brain, I AM most certainly NOT smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Maths Really The Language Of The Universe? by shadeyinka(m): 5:59pm On Jul 14, 2016
Science is Mans attempt to understand, describe and explain nature as invented by the creator.

The order in nature based on some define rule compelled man to attempt to speak the language of the order.

We were compelled to use base 10 because we have 10 fingers or 10 toes.

Mathematics is like music or dancing. It is a language of the devine. They are all discoveries of the fundermental laws of nature.
Re: Is Maths Really The Language Of The Universe? by tartar9(m): 8:16am On Jul 15, 2016
donnffd:
Whatever construct that may be,it will still be mathematics.
Re: Is Maths Really The Language Of The Universe? by donnffd(m): 9:16am On Jul 15, 2016
tartar9:

Whatever construct that may be,it will still be mathematics.

Whats your reason for that?

(1) (Reply)

Airtel SME Data Sharers / New Technique On How To Remove Shortcut Virus From PC Or Storage Devices / This Is Snake Genocide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.