Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,304 members, 7,819,031 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

Why Do We Nigerians Devalue Human Lives? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Why Do We Nigerians Devalue Human Lives? (466 Views)

Human Lives Means Nothing To Northerners / 9 Lessons We Nigerians Have To Learn To Avoid Been Kidnapped / Fleeing Hausas Lament On Ile Ife's Massacre "Only Our People Lost Their Lives" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Do We Nigerians Devalue Human Lives? by ArinzeAlec(m): 7:05am On Jun 02, 2016
The lack of regard for human lives in Nigeria is heartbreaking. No one accounts for anything they've done.

I have traveled in buses that didn't have side and rear view mirrors. I have traveled in buses that stopped mid journey because flat tyre or overheating or fuel finished. And no one dared to ask because those drivers would tell you things that would go into your body, find your heart, hold on to it and begin to squeeze mercilessly. The fact that a company can murder human beings on the road in the name of accident, and not be held accountable–and still go on with business is appalling. It is the lowest level of regard for humans.

A lecturer in my third year told us how he got on a bus and they found out the driver was drunk. They literally made him stop the bus and a passenger drove the bus to FUTO very slowly, because the problems with the gear and other parts of the bus were just too many.
I have been in a bus where the driver kept nodding sleepily and jerking awake when a passenger tapped him. The passengers resorted to singing and clapping so the driver could stay awake. I also have been in a bus where the driver speed like he is on formula 1.

The fact that a company like Peace Mass Transit can kill human beings in broad daylight– for reasons that most probably could have been avoided– and still function without delay (after acquiring new buses) like normal, is an insult to the deceased, their families and humans generally.

Like I said before, safe trip in other places means don't fall asleep during the journey and not enjoy the experience or don't get too hungry etc. But here in Nigeria, it literally means please don't die, stay alive, may your bones not be broken, please come home in one piece.

R.I.P Peace Mass Victims.

Cc Lalaticlala
Re: Why Do We Nigerians Devalue Human Lives? by delishpot: 7:14am On Jun 02, 2016
Well, Nigerians need sane people to implement strict laws and force the people to follow them. And when the people don't, they get punished without any help from God fathers or man know man power
Re: Why Do We Nigerians Devalue Human Lives? by theEYe21(f): 8:11am On Jun 02, 2016
Well Nigerians lack ethics and morals because of the underdeveloped education system in Nigeria. And Nigeria will continue to move backward angry

(1) (Reply)

90 Years Old Man Kidnapped / Police Begins Manhunt For Ikorodu Attackers / Alleged Coup Plot: DSS Arrests ‘mastermind’ Of Rumour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.