Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,052 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

How To Read And Remember - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Read And Remember (2490 Views)

The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read / 5 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything / 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Read And Remember by bugzyberry(m): 12:55am On Jun 04, 2016
I know there's been so many write-ups like this before but I want to share my personal experience and also learn from you. I won't be extensive or thorough but precise, and straight to the point. Basically its how to read and understand not remember otherwise we'd be discussing on how to get better at cramming grin . My point is we don't have to worry much about remembering the stuffs we read as long as we understand. there's just a little to do for us to remember. Its that simple. The methods I will list here works for me and I'm sure it will for you too if u apply them that's of course if you don't already know them. Here goes
1. First and foremost, I'd like to think of determination as the foundation. You must Convince yourself to understand the entire context of the books you study. Have a burning desire for your books and be preety determined to learn. It pays off and go along way in boosting ones confidence. Don't read for exams, interviews or quizzes, read for knowledge . That's the point
2. Read every text book ever there is three times from cover to cover. The first time should be more about speed reading. This helps you get the idea of the entire book within a short time. Second time into the text book grab a marker or a pen. Highlight/Underline the most important key words, definitions, statement or sentences as you read through. The third and last time should be more extensive. Read a paragraph 3 times if you have to. Just make sure you understand fully. Make a personal note at end of every chapter; a short yet thorough and complete summary of each chapter. This note made would eliminate the need of running back to the textbook each time you want to consult. You could have an entire textbook no matter how big in a small note. The importance is very obvious
3. Test your self. Give yourself a personal quiz/test on each chapter read. Answer as if u were in a real exam. Write down the questions with a red pen and answer with a blue or any colour. Make your corrections by consulting your textbooks/notes also with a different colour. The use of different writing colours helps the brain remember things more easily more than you would imagine.
4. Study in a quiet place. A noise free environment will help relax your mind and enable you concentrate/focus fully as u study. The library is a great place. Choose a time most convenient for your study. 3am till down is a great time. Research has also proven that the human brain understands more during this period especially when you wake up from sleep. personally I'm not a fan of reading tdb. Avoid reading with songs or earpiece on. Though it feels great and infact addicting to read while rocking a slow and gentle music.. this deceives u making you believe you're actually understanding everything you read but unfortunately you forget about 70‰ or more of what you study as soon as you close your book (personal experience). When you read, position yourself as you would sit in an examination hall, never read while lying down else you re reading for fun of course

5. Have a group study with like minds/interested friends. Don't form an island no matter how intelligent you are. like they say "we re really nothing without the people around us" and you will be surprised how much your colleagues can help inspire you become a better person and propel you to the top. Have reading buddies you study together with, share topics within yourselves and teach on your turn. Never shy away from asking questions, engage in arguments(educative one of course grin ) , be competitive and aim to be the best.

6. Fall in love with your books. Let your friends call you a geek yes. Never stop loving them . Give them books the time u gave to your gf/bf and watch your academic life change to something tremendous. Visit the library, make researches, be versatile and consistent. Always have and follow your timetable. Give every course equal and full attention. And you will never have to worry about Forgetting ever again.
7. Know God. This should be in first place really. We know the importance. Moving on.....

8. Avoid pressure reading and I mean at all cost. You will never understand anything you read when under pressure. A serious enemy to most students as it looks to steel your chances of succeeding academically at any slightest chance. This of course is responsible for many factors that will bring you academic failure. This is the master chief responsible for exam tension, exam fever, fear, cramming work ( memorizing an entire book without understanding a thing ). You invite pressure when you read only few days away from exam or quize. Caused mostly by distractions such as spending your reading time having fun, partying, wooing girls...; infact so many peeps now go into schools for relationships; its like a course of study in the uni these days with majority scoring an A ( sorry for digressing ). Prevent pressure from ruining your chances by taking your time to prepare well from the onset. Don't wait for exams to approach before you can study. Apply all the techniques and of course be consistent and you will never again have to worry about remembering all that you study. Lets Share and learn from each other

2 Likes

Re: How To Read And Remember by Veronica0705(f): 5:20am On Jun 04, 2016
wonderful write up.. kip it up
Re: How To Read And Remember by bugzyberry(m): 8:32pm On Jun 06, 2016
Veronica0705:
wonderful write up.. kip it up
kiss Thank you
Re: How To Read And Remember by hpk(m): 11:04pm On Jun 06, 2016
PREACH OP!!
Re: How To Read And Remember by bugzyberry(m): 1:42am On Jun 07, 2016
hpk:
PREACH OP!!
preach lol. How na
Re: How To Read And Remember by patmegame: 2:20am On Jun 07, 2016
Good wright up
Re: How To Read And Remember by bugzyberry(m): 12:29pm On Jun 08, 2016
patmegame:
Good wright up
Thanks mate. I appreciate
Re: How To Read And Remember by haryomikun(m): 6:32pm On Jun 08, 2016
angry angry angry angry Crammers also need where to cram better!!! And they can get it here
Re: How To Read And Remember by emotions1: 8:16pm On Jun 08, 2016
Great....this will be of great help to me thanks.

1 Like

Re: How To Read And Remember by donifez(m): 12:42am On Jun 09, 2016
When reading use mnemonic, It do help.... The Op nailed it, Nice one Sir.
Re: How To Read And Remember by bugzyberry(m): 4:09am On Jun 10, 2016
donifez:
When reading use mnemonic, It do help.... The Op nailed it, Nice one Sir.
I couldn't agree more with you; perfectly on point. Thanks for the complement. Cheers...
emotions1:
Great....this will be of great help to me
thanks.
I really hope it does and I know it will cool. Thanks for your comment

(1) (Reply)

Top 15 Cheapest Universities In Nigeria & Their School Fees / Kwara Poly Admission List / A Lecture Hall @the University Of Jos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.