Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,669 members, 7,809,529 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:54 AM

Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats (23552 Views)

How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats / Whatsapp Now Lets You Pin Your Favourite Chats On Top / Just As Whatsapp, Viber Is Now End-to-end Encrypting Messages And Phone Calls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by TechPill: 5:31am On Jun 05, 2016
In April this year, WhatsApp- Facebook owned messaging app introduced an end-to-end encryption which make you secure during conversions without any third-party interfering or viewing your private chat either by Facebook or any government.

According to The Guardian, Facebook is planning to roll out end-to-end encryption on its messenger app -"Facebook Messenger" later this year but this time it will be an opt-in features, what this means is that you will have to decide to use the feature or not depending on your choice.

Facebook Messenger users will be presented with the option to either end-to-end encrypt their messages or get a smarter messaging chat. Though Engineers at both Google and Facebook predict that messenger users will rather prefer to opt-in to a smarter chat option than a private one. But not every one will agree though. Do you agree to that?

"I just object to the opt-in default for what could be millions of users as they discuss politics, their love life, health concerns, and other topics meant to be private," Open Crypto Audit Project co-director and researcher Kenneth White said

Having said that, When an End-to-end is turned on, only people on either side of the of the conversations that can decrypt messages, which means neither authorities or Facebook will be able to decipher them.

So an end-to-end encrypted Facebook messenger or a smarter chat messenger which one will you opt-in for?

Source: http://www.techpill.net/2016/06/facebook-wants-to-start-encrypting-its.html

seun, lalasticlala, mynd44

[img]http://4.bp..com/-byeWLYMyKWI/V1Oa_D5q9tI/AAAAAAAAA90/hAHSVrAx90gsWB9Ftu9ZHjGCZGoCxQ03wCK4B/s1600/facebook%2Bmessenger%2Bapp%2Bimage%2Bicon.jpg[/img]

1 Like

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by TechPill: 5:31am On Jun 05, 2016

1 Like

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by SuperSupremo(m): 5:34am On Jun 05, 2016
Good news

Can't wait for that
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by infoink915: 6:36am On Jun 05, 2016
TechPill:
Cool?
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by KelvinMega(m): 6:37am On Jun 05, 2016
an average Nigerian doesn't know the meaning of this

116 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by valencia25(m): 6:38am On Jun 05, 2016

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by vizkiz: 6:38am On Jun 05, 2016
y'all shouldn't start rejoicing cuz you now have "encrypted messages" and "ability" to text whatever you want on Facebook, whatsapp and some other social media giving you false hope.

The truth is that The government have a well ASSURED DECRYPTION PROGRAM running up with the homeland security. Lol the government is still watching fellas grin

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by oluwamykel(m): 6:38am On Jun 05, 2016

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by jaydeeking(m): 6:39am On Jun 05, 2016
Nice move....It will make the world a better place devoid of uncertainties.

1 Like

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by ritababe(f): 6:39am On Jun 05, 2016
na them sabi, who them EPP or will it improve our economy?

3 Likes

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by busky101(m): 6:39am On Jun 05, 2016
Nice move, so the interpol, fbi nd efcc wont be on my neck, mtn and co should follow suit

1 Like

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by Evergreen4(m): 6:39am On Jun 05, 2016
We don hear. Who dem epp?
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by teepsee(f): 6:40am On Jun 05, 2016
Thanks for the explanation, it's already active on WhatsApp, I was wondering what it meant. It's a cool development.

Those that mean FG or some people on Facebook have been seeing my chats and even some serious pictures been sent and received. *face* Chai!!

3 Likes

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by kunle86(m): 6:41am On Jun 05, 2016
Whaoo that's great. Make front page today
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by Holywizard: 6:41am On Jun 05, 2016
Na 4 foreign movies I dey always hear abt encrypted calls. meaning Secured line wia it can't be traceable mostly used by top government agencies like CIA, FBI, MI6, white house calls etc.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by Nobody: 6:41am On Jun 05, 2016
KelvinMega:
an average Nigerian doesn't know the meaning of this
Then explain

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by Holywizard: 6:42am On Jun 05, 2016
it will promote Terrorism oooo. chats won't be traceable

5 Likes

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by MyParadise(m): 6:43am On Jun 05, 2016
good for them
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by MrCow(m): 6:45am On Jun 05, 2016
lolz

so some people no get work before, na to dey spy on other people's chat ehn

5 Likes

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by Ishilove: 6:45am On Jun 05, 2016
I was wondering what end-to-end encryption is... Is it that the conversations cannot be hacked?

All these tech terms fly over my head like fighter jets undecided
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by Testerfuze(m): 6:47am On Jun 05, 2016
oluwamykel:
teepsee:
Y
valencia25:
MrCow:
lolz
valencia25:

Book with sense naw!!

1 Like

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by STFUand4kMeHARD(m): 6:50am On Jun 05, 2016
Bad News for the Daura Dulllard and his tyranical crew of witch hunters.
I spit on Amaechi's bald head cool

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by jazinogold(m): 6:51am On Jun 05, 2016
waoh...! Another opportunity for spammers!

1 Like

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:52am On Jun 05, 2016
Ishilove:
I was wondering what end-to-end encryption is... Is it that the conversations cannot be hacked?

All these tech terms fly over my head like fighter jets undecided

Just look up cryptography . It's a security measure used to protect certain information from unauthorized or unintended recipients . The intended recipient can easily decipher an encrypted text or message .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by haconjy(m): 6:53am On Jun 05, 2016
wasting of data again... we need free browsing from u

1 Like

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by JuanJO(m): 6:53am On Jun 05, 2016
finally G boyz go smile

1 Like

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by rawpadgin(m): 6:54am On Jun 05, 2016
wil it stop NDA from bombing pipe lines
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by Ishilove: 6:55am On Jun 05, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Just look up cryptography . It's a security measure used to protect certain information from unauthorized or unintended recipients . The intended recipient can easily decipher an encrypted text or message .
Oh, ooookaaaayyyy...

Ha, that's good o cheesy cheesy

Thanks for the simple explanation. The technicalities would have given my brain muscle pull grin tongue

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by teepsee(f): 6:58am On Jun 05, 2016
Testerfuze:

Book with sense naw!!
at least I get sense pass those that used "." abi I lie ni?

2 Likes

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by justicejay(m): 6:59am On Jun 05, 2016
Booked
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by dahmie2013: 7:01am On Jun 05, 2016
Dis one is good news 4 men dat cheat on deir babes.

1 Like

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by infoink915: 7:02am On Jun 05, 2016
justicejay:
Booked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Do I Spot A Fake LG G3 / "-" E-series Zone "-" / How Do You Unubscribe From Glo Caller Tune?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.