Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,348 members, 7,819,235 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:09 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (444) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (814303 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (441) (442) (443) (444) (445) (446) (447) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Etin(f): 12:13pm On Feb 08, 2008
@jandbaby and Wanaj0

Thanks your answers. I think i would get my brother to visit the registras or get my Broker since I now have one to do the hard work.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 12:16pm On Feb 08, 2008
Lasaco is bleeding! What could be responsible for this?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 12:22pm On Feb 08, 2008
blueband:

Lasaco is bleeding! What could be responsible for this?

What goes up must come down grin grin grin

Seriously you can't determine a trend from one days trading except you can see some other supporting indicators like volumes for instance. Morever, you can't really tell how the stock will close.

Generally, the insurance stock prices are bloated so expect bleeding from time to time. Profit takers will be striking especially since there is the smell of TS in the air all around the insurance sector.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 12:30pm On Feb 08, 2008
pumping777:

What goes up must come down grin grin grin

Seriously you can't determine a trend from one days trading except you can see some other supporting indicators like volumes for instance. Morever, you can't really tell how the stock will close.

Generally, the insurance stock prices are bloated so expect bleeding from time to time. Profit takers will be striking especially since there is the smell of TS in the air all around the insurance sector.

quite correct. trens need at least 3 days to form and usually longer really. take oceanic for example, it looks like a trend is forming but confirmation will only come with time, ie hind sight, by which time all the money is already made for those in already. i still expect it to continue to do well with little blips here and there.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 12:36pm On Feb 08, 2008
by the way oceanic is still trading upward as we speak but lets see how it closes shall we cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 12:39pm On Feb 08, 2008
Universal Insurance will be listed on the 11th of February (Monday). The PP was done @ 95k

aktopgun:

quite correct. trens need at least 3 days to form and usually longer really. take oceanic for example, it looks like a trend is forming but confirmation will only come with time, ie hind sight, by which time all the money is already made for those in already. i still expect it to continue to do well with little blips here and there.

That's a major issue. Read a technical analysis that talk about Oceanic going down. See what is happening now.

Right now, I see UBA and Zenith plus Diamond as stocks to take a look at especially for the LONG term.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 12:46pm On Feb 08, 2008
wanaj0:

Universal Insurance will be listed on the 11th of February (Monday). The PP was done @ 95k

That's a major issue. Read a technical analysis that talk about Oceanic going down. See what is happening now.

Right now, I see UBA and Zenith plus Diamond as stocks to take a look at especially for the LONG term.

@wanajo,
cheesy cheesy, i know the report u are referring to, its the one on proshares website. if u read it again u'll see they have tried to protect them selves by trying to talk from both sides of their mouth. they never pinned themselves down yeye people. but i guess they are right in the sense that tech analysis though a science, is becoming more of an art nowadays and people can look at the same charts and see completely different things based on their personality and investment goals. as u know i am a long term player but i just love the chase that tech analysis provides and still use it to make long term decisions on fundamentally sound companies. my money scarce gaan ni cheesy cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by noshaking2(m): 12:50pm On Feb 08, 2008
Fidelity Bank - Half Yr Result Out

FIDELITY BANK PLC
HALF YEAR ENDED DECEMBER 31, 2007

2007      2006
TURNOVER                              N16.025b  N10.363b
PROFIT BEFORE TAXATION     N7.184b   N2.377b
TAXATION                             (N1.436b) (N475.146m)
PROFIT AFTER TAXATION       N5.747b   N1.901b

On target to reach FY PAT of N11b. Nice result pre allotment! Post allotment, me i no know o
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 12:59pm On Feb 08, 2008
Am I the only one who has not received his FBN returned money?
I sent someone to First Registrars and it took them 3 days to trace where they sent the cheque.I have sent someone to FirstRegistrars in Abuja as we were told the cheques were sent there and they could not find my name on their system.

The branch I bought it from have a duplicate of pay in slip and they cannot trace my name on any system,including that of Firs Registrars.I tire no be small.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 12:59pm On Feb 08, 2008
no_shaking:

FIDELITY BANK PLC

2007      2006

On target to reach FY PAT of N11b. Nice result pre allotment! Post allotment, me i no know o

post allotment, more mouths to feed. down goes the eps and up goes the PE. u can't put a value on market sentiment though, so lets see if there's any sentimentality left for fidelity in the market.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 1:02pm On Feb 08, 2008
[/quote][quote author=no_shaking link=topic=31554.msg1932561#msg1932561 date=1202471410]

FIDELITY BANK PLC

2007      2006

Ha. The eagle don land o. Good result+low nominal price compared to others in same sector = quick profit.

Actually I think this is a good result anyway you look at it. Even after factoring in 25% oversubscription from the PO, the forward PE is around 23x based on yesterday's closing price. Not spectacular, but quite good if you look at the forward PE's in the banking sector right now. Banks that have lower PEs have higher nominal prices. They have also grown PAT by around 200%.

The result is slightly better than expectations and has increased full year PAT projections by about N1B.
The best part is that this na "penny" stock as per bank standard so I expect reasonable rally.

Not to mention the fact that our stockbroking firms never factor in shares to be listed in future, so they will all be advertising a forward PE of 16x which will do magic for a "penny" stock.

I already got an email today that put "strong buy recommendation" on Fidelity bank. Obviously they had seen this result cheesy cheesy cheesy.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by orisebawo(m): 1:03pm On Feb 08, 2008
blueband:

Am I the only one who has not received his FBN returned money?
I sent someone to First Registrars and it took them 3 days to trace where they sent the cheque.I have sent someone to FirstRegistrars in Abuja as we were told the cheques were sent there and they could not find my name on their system.

The branch I bought it from have a duplicate of pay in slip and they cannot trace my name on any system,including that of Firs Registrars.I tire no be small.

Call FBN on 01-2799880, they should be able to help you.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kpineo: 1:06pm On Feb 08, 2008
Who are the registrars for Oceanic Bank, my certificate has refused to arrive.
Can't even get my bloody broker on the phone, this offshore trading get im pitfalls sef. embarassed
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 1:06pm On Feb 08, 2008
@pumping  cheesy  cheesy

thats why i put in for the P.O bros. its not a short term play for me. its still lower in price compared to the other guys in the sector so regardless of how many shares i am alloted i wont miss out in the long term.

please note i bought the P.O last year. if it were to come out now, my immunity against P.Os no go gree me buy am  cheesy  cheesy  cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by noshaking2(m): 1:07pm On Feb 08, 2008
wanaj0:

When going TAish, the koko is combining at least three types of indicators - EMAs, RSI, MACD with different time frames to confirm divergence either bullish or bearish. In other words, looking for divergence between price movement and the movement of say the popularly used on the thread RSI, MACD and/or Williams%R. For example, if prices are moving up, the RSI & MACD are moving down, then bearish divergence prices likely to move downwards; otherwise, it's bullish divergence !!

Hope this helps!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 1:10pm On Feb 08, 2008
HE HE HE!

CUTIX trading up by 72kobo. hmmmm, wonder where it will close today wink

@roughcut, u dey see that thing so, e be like say na u dey captain that ship abi.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 1:13pm On Feb 08, 2008
@no shaking.

good stuff man. as u'll notice, when that report was written the rsi, ema, macd were trending downwards. look at the charts now, its all change. in a matter of days literally which is why they tried to make their report as non-commital as possible. as u know BIGBOYLARRY no dey work for there. abi, does he? wink wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 1:18pm On Feb 08, 2008
Thanks my brother.I got through to someone who told me my name is not on their system.

This is some real S**T
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 1:28pm On Feb 08, 2008
wanaj0:

I read that report jo and concluded it was just analysis paralysis, one of the price mentioned as entry point was even N22, I do hope somebody believes that and sell so I can load up even more.

When companies of no fixed address /production are blowing steam ahead how will Oceanic drop to N22. It's past performance is worthy of mention and I can see them breaking every breakable record come April.

P.S
I know stock market goes up and down but if Oceanic goes to N22 even the great elephant must land on N33 shikena
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 1:36pm On Feb 08, 2008
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by noshaking2(m): 1:38pm On Feb 08, 2008
@ Father of 2 re. International Energy

Nice try as per the oju agba analysis of IEI, but the problem is that before their premature share reconstruction, IEI was already so overvalued @ N1.93 with Q3 EPS of 0.04.

Anyway, with hindsight, IEI should have waited for the anticipated sentiment-driven bullish run in the insurance sector before their share recontruction. Check out the share prices for Oasis, Guinea and Equity Assurance then and now, the rest is history now! IEI simply ejaculated prematurely and with peeps always looking at share appreciation on the surface regardless of whether there was a price rally or otherwise they would still believe trust 9jamentality that IEI too has had its own fair share of bullish run, not knowing that the leap in price was engineered via share recontruction.

Let's hope many peeps would discount the share-reconstructed price abi?and see the hidden value the way you see it.  if positive, another rally to N12 beckoning, but it's quite risky kalo kalo kind of! because e don pass fundamental + technical analysis o!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 1:43pm On Feb 08, 2008
@pumice

sorry for the late reply man.
to answer ur question, i think u can use candlesticks in any market as long as it is a stock market. the main difference the NSE has with other markets is its emerging market status and the nigerian mentality, which if u rally look at it is no different from the average investors mentality.

example, i had been wondering how to calculate when oceanic would bottom out from its free fall and did't know exactly when as i no be winch. but looking at the chart now, i see tht it did what's called a "graveyard doji" (chei, big big word  cheesy).

grave yard doji- Gravestone doji forms when the open, low and close are equal and the high creates a long upper shadow. The resulting candlestick looks like an upside down "T" with a long upper shadow and no lower shadow. Gravestone doji indicates that buyers dominated trading and drove prices higher during the session. However, by the end of the session, sellers resurfaced and pushed prices back to the opening level and the session low. the reversal implications of gravestone doji depend on previous price action and future confirmation. Even though the long upper shadow indicates a failed rally, the intraday high provides evidence of some buying pressure. After a long downtrend, long black candlestick, or at support, focus turns to the evidence of buying pressure and a potential bullish reversal. After a long uptrend, long white candlestick or at resistance, focus turns to the failed rally and a potential bearish reversal.

hope this helps.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 1:48pm On Feb 08, 2008
by the way, i know its gravestone but i like to remember it as graveyard because it reminds me of death ie a stock that has reached the final bus stop if u get my drift. a man that is down need fear no fall, that kinda thing.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 1:51pm On Feb 08, 2008
One interesting thing is this N50 bar that has been erected in the banking sector. This is a very strong bar that has not been broken or scaled.

As predicted, Zenith has been hit by the same bar. As we all know, UBA has long been struggling under this bar.

Now the elephant is a whisker away from the bar. Can the elephant destroy this bar once and for all?? He for good o.

We no need yeye bar for NSE. This no be Olympics nagrin grin The bar dey bar progress to the banks  cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 1:53pm On Feb 08, 2008
dollyp1cute:

I read that report jo and concluded it was just analysis paralysis, one of the price mentioned as entry point was even N22, I do hope somebody believes that and sell so I can load up even more.

When companies of no fixed address /production are blowing steam ahead how will Oceanic drop to N22. It's past performance is worthy of mention and I can see them breaking every breakable record come April.

P.S
I know stock market goes up and down but if Oceanic goes to N22 even the great elephant must land on N33 shikena

Na so man pickin see am. If Oceanic goes to 22.00 then there must have being a monumental problem in the financial sector. Will see those waiting for Oceanic to get to 22.00 to buy

pumping777:

One interesting thing is this N50 bar that has been erected in the banking sector. This is a very strong bar that has not been broken or scaled.

As predicted, Zenith has been hit by the same bar. As we all know, UBA has long been struggling under this bar.

Now the elephant is a whisker away from the bar. Can the elephant destroy this bar once and for all?? He for good o.

We no need yeye bar for NSE. This no be Olympics nagrin grin The bar dey bar progress to the banks cheesy

The bar is not made for the elephant. See that bar being removed very quickly.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 1:54pm On Feb 08, 2008
I don't believe Oceanic is going anywhere yet. Na my own I dey talk o. Make we dey watch sha as I no be bigboylarry.

To carry 22B people for one plane no be joke. Until March/April when the half year result is being expected, I don't see this momentum being sustained. Before that time, I believe Oceanic will become available again below N28.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 1:59pm On Feb 08, 2008
@pumping

probably right but as u said, only bigboylarry will know. BUT if any thing, its definitely fuelling up on the tarmac. should ir break resistance of around N27 before mar/april i would be surprised. surely around the N28-N29 at the lowest. i dont see it going down to the lows of N27 before results are relesed and after they are well lets hope its straight to CHAD (wait o, dem dey fight for there ke), ok BORNO the prices will go cheesy cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 2:02pm On Feb 08, 2008
Afribank has managed to go below it's PO offer price of N25. It closed at N24.90 today.

PO lesson to be learnt by Afribank. Don't go to market after releasing your Q-3 result if your stock price was artifially bloated. You have nothing to keep the price from going under after TS is lifted. Maybe they don't even care sha.

See how Fidelity has provided itself shock absorber with interim results.

Afribank has earned the title of worst PO for the year last year. If I bin do the PO na cry I for dey cry now  sad sad Wait until you even see the oversubscription when the stock dey undersubscribed at a lower price on the floor  grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by TheAdmira: 2:02pm On Feb 08, 2008
The Admira:

Fellow NairaLanders,

this happens to be my 1st post. i wish i had come across this thread a year or 2 ago,

any way, my concern right now is that, i made some buy orders (oline using Cashcraft) and up until now after 4days of trading, none has been executed!!! i've spoken to my broker several times and he keeps assuring me that as long as the orders were submitted successfully, there is nothin 2 worry about.
right now the planes are taxiing away, and i still have not bought boarded!! any advise?

thx

Dear gurus in the house,

is it a normal thing for you to submit a buy order and after a week the order has not been executed?

i'm upset with the way my broker is nonchalant about the issue. can some one advise? should i accept his assurances that all is well? and as you know the website has been unusable for over a week now.

thanks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 2:03pm On Feb 08, 2008
pumping777:

I don't believe Oceanic is going anywhere yet. Na my own I dey talk o. Make we dey watch sha as I no be bigboylarry.

To carry 22B people for one plane no be joke. Until March/April when the half year result is being expected, I don't see this momentum being sustained. Before that time, I believe Oceanic will become available again below N28.

Actually I agree with you to a certain degree there will still be some dips as some folks have not got their certs yet (moi for e.g. and gurl is heavy on their IPO imagine if I borrowed money and had to offload)

I am in for the long haul so no shakin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 2:07pm On Feb 08, 2008
The insurance stocks saw RED today as expected!!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 2:08pm On Feb 08, 2008
The Admira:

Dear gurus in the house,

is it a normal thing for you to submit a buy order and after a week the order has not been executed?

i'm upset with the way my broker is nonchalant about the issue. can some one advise? should i accept his assurances that all is well? and as you know the website has been unusable for over a week now.

thanks.

Yes, it is possible but I won't say if it is normal. It depends on a number of factors. These include,

1. Is the stock readily available on the floor? If you gave your broker an order to buy AIICO last week and still no luck today, it is not abnormal. The stock has been scarce.

2. Did you give a price cap which is well below the high prices for the period? You may need to raise your bid for success especially if it is a low cap stock with net bid on the floor.

3. Is the turnover volume of the stock unusually low?

etc, etc

So if you want to get better input, you should say which stock(s) you requested for and at what price(s).

(1) (2) (3) ... (441) (442) (443) (444) (445) (446) (447) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.