Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,580 members, 7,840,396 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 12:03 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (650) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (817281 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (647) (648) (649) (650) (651) (652) (653) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by TheAdmira: 7:28am On Mar 13, 2008
***double post***
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 7:47am On Mar 13, 2008
loma:

See Easimoni!

Ioma

Na wa for you oh. See early morning laugh.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nkc(m): 7:56am On Mar 13, 2008
@loma and blueband

yes its his 419 post, check d time he posted, if u diffrentiate na anoda 419 ne that oh, chei shocked 1.49am afta 419, grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nkc(m): 7:56am On Mar 13, 2008
-
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 8:10am On Mar 13, 2008
On May and Baker, if you are in for the long run, stick with it!!!!

FG sold the vaccine company at yaba to them. So they have the market for 40% of all Vaccines in Nigeria.

Yes the PE is high for end year 2007. Basically because they allotted more shares than they planed for during the last PO, money from the PO was not received on time which led to project slippage.

I expect that teh result for 2008 will be better. I also know that they are better positioned than most of the other companies in that sector. So in terms of fundamentals, May and Baker is solid!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by orisebawo(m): 8:22am On Mar 13, 2008
Debenzd,

Please could i have the list of stocks you were given for shareplus in July 2007, this UBA guys are trying to be funny.

Thanks

@Ioma

You get talent plenty,i dey look out for your pp very soon because e be like say this talent fit be good thing for some patients oh
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 8:24am On Mar 13, 2008
cheexy:

Which one be harami cross and harami doji. Reminds me of indian films. Thank God we get people wey dey understand and interprete indian language here. We for see something o

Indian Language ke? We never start with that one this one na undiluted and 'ogidi' Japanese. Aktopcandle na im dey run things for that end me i just be small boy wey dey follow am grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 8:26am On Mar 13, 2008
@ wanajo, do you see may and baker as a potential 35 naira stock by its year end? i know they are good but how much growth can they acheive this year.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by stocknrock: 8:29am On Mar 13, 2008
Oga wanaj0. abeg wetin u think?

Im thinking of selling my UAC-Prop after 5% gain after commision to enter UnionDicon for a quick CICO and maybaker for the long haul. what do you think?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by stocknrock: 8:42am On Mar 13, 2008
As for maybaker, I cannot upload the candles here, but it seems it is on a bullish reversal after the 3 something widows. I dont know the grammer wey aktopgun dey use for am.

But I think it would form a bullish pattern which would confirm its reversal.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Opomulero1(m): 8:45am On Mar 13, 2008
Fellow Nairalanders; Silent Reader here; I see you're all still busy!

I logged in just now, after several weeks (work pressure, just couldn't catch up with the rise and rise in page numbers), and this thingy says I've been logged in for 2 days, 8 hours, blah, blah.

Anyway, that's not why I logged in. Just thought I should point out something I only just noticed, thanks to using Bloomberg's portfolio tracker. I bought 200 units of GTB's GDR during their offer, and since neither NigerianSecurities nor InvestorDelight can track foreign-quoted equities, I "translated" my holding into GTB stocks and included it in my portfolios on those two sites (plenty gbosas to the guys behind them, by the way). IWasn't the best solution, but I had none other, or so I thought. The process was simple: converted the unit cost of a GDR to Naira at the exchange rate used by the bank, divided it by 50 (50 shares to one GDR), and used that as unit cost for each local GTB share. Much later on, I decided to build another portfoio on Bloomberg, everybody's senior when it comes to financial info on the web. I was startled this morning when I noticed the difference in appreciation between local and GDR: 34.74% on NSE, 59.82% LSE!!! Is this for real? How can we explain such a huge difference in movement between GDRs and their underlying stocks? Barring any mistakes in entering the data on the different trackers (I don't think) it must be for real.

If it's for real, I have a hunch it must have been raised on this forum before (too many eagle eyed ones here - Easimoni, I'm not referring to that cartoon of you o; don't mind them o jare  smiley  wink ). But just in case, I'm mentioning it, as I recall many people expressed views against GDRs here since the GTB one was stuck in a rut for a looooong time; but in this case, GDR's doing muuuuuuuch better.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 9:03am On Mar 13, 2008
windywendy:

@Pumping, M&B's forward P/E is like 48 o (projected PAT of about 250, which I believe is fair)! None of the health sector stocks have great fundamentals. Neimeth was good for a 20% cico (like 15% post commission) between last week and early this week tough, but  I won't invest in any of those medium term o, unless there's something good in the offing.

Infact their Forward PE is 49.5 based on projected FYE PAT of N233M and listed shares 0.7B. At current price the trailing PE is 65!

Unless what wanaj0 said about this company is going to contribute to the upside i dont see this one going anywhere yet at least in terms of Fundamentalysis. Although the PAT increased by a whopping 173%!

Candidly speaking the candlestick pattern is Bullish Harami Cross or Bullish Harami Doji meaning it is 'pregnant' and ready for bullish run how long the turn-around will last is anybody's guess. 'Harami' is the japanese word for pregnant as Prof Aktopcandle said in one of his earlier posts.

I will be careful with this one though plenty of turbulence ahead. For CICO Hmnnnnnnn but in terms of the fundamentals dont know what will drive the price of this one !
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hispy99(m): 9:03am On Mar 13, 2008
Opomulero1:

Fellow Nairalanders; Silent Reader here; I see you're all still busy!

I logged in just now, after several weeks (work pressure, just couldn't catch up with the rise and rise in page numbers), and this thingy says I've been logged in for 2 days, 8 hours, blah, blah.

Anyway, that's not why I logged in. Just thought I should point out something I only just noticed, thanks to using Bloomberg's portfolio tracker. I bought 200 units of GTB's GDR during their offer, and since neither NigerianSecurities nor InvestorDelight can track foreign-quoted equities, I "translated" my holding into GTB stocks and included it in my portfolios on those two sites (plenty gbosas to the guys behind them, by the way). IWasn't the best solution, but I had none other, or so I thought. The process was simple: converted the unit cost of a GDR to Naira at the exchange rate used by the bank, divided it by 50 (50 shares to one GDR), and used that as unit cost for each local GTB share. Much later on, I decided to build another portfoio on Bloomberg, everybody's senior when it comes to financial info on the web. I was startled this morning when I noticed the difference in appreciation between local and GDR: 34.74% on NSE, 59.82% LSE!!! Is this for real? How can we explain such a huge difference in movement between GDRs and their underlying stocks? Barring any mistakes in entering the data on the different trackers (I don't think) it must be for real.

If it's for real, I have a hunch it must have been raised on this forum before (too many eagle eyed ones here - Easimoni, I'm not referring to that cartoon of you o; don't mind them o jare  smiley  wink ). But just in case, I'm mentioning it, as I recall many people expressed views against GDRs here since the GTB one was stuck in a rut for a looooong time; but in this case, GDR's doing muuuuuuuch better.

Did you factor in the appreciation of the Naira against the Dollar?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 9:20am On Mar 13, 2008
I am in May and Baker for the long haul. Bought @ 4.00 in 2006

They missed the profit forecast for 2006 and will likley miss also for 2007. However with the vaccine plant up, they should be able to deliver strong performance. They've diversified into the food business. They are now into production of noddles and table water. If they can deliver on the vaccine plant, they should turn out good. So for a 12months to 18months duration, I will go with them.

shigidi:

@ wanajo, do you see may and baker as a potential 35 naira stock by its year end? i know they are good but how much growth can they acheive this year.

I don't have a crystal ball so cannot say whether it will reach 35.00. I however believe that tehre is good upside once the interim 2008 results start to hit the news stand.

stocknrock:

Oga wanaj0. abeg wetin u think?

I'm thinking of selling my UAC-Prop after 5% gain after commision to enter UnionDicon for a quick CICO and maybaker for the long haul. what do you think?

Union Dicon is good for CICO but whack as far as fundamental is concerned. When last did they release result? The last result was even qualified by the auditor. Since then the directors were practically on each others neck.

UAC properties is not that fantastic. But a 10% gain doing CICO may not be bad!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 9:49am On Mar 13, 2008
U know CCNN seems to have become a buy again sha.

looking at its charts it has been a great CICO stock since september and is at support level again as of yesterday with a dragonfly doji. should prices open higher today and close higher then i would go for it.

caveats apply o.

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 10:06am On Mar 13, 2008
CILeasing may not have much further to drop so if i wanted to buy it i would buy today ot tomorrow

empty caveat
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by stocknrock: 10:13am On Mar 13, 2008
Has anyone else had their int brew credited to their cscs account? Im sure most people would be rushing off to sell as they got rubbish allotment and the price has gone astronomical.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by st1(m): 10:17am On Mar 13, 2008
AKTOPGUN and Gurus in the house pls what;s your take on First Aluminium. My broker bought some units @ y'day closing price.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nkc(m): 10:18am On Mar 13, 2008
@stocknrock, w
which number did u use in form filling, d numeric or alfanumeric
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 10:33am On Mar 13, 2008
@St1

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by stocknrock: 10:46am On Mar 13, 2008
nkc:

@stocknrock, w
which number did u use in form filling, d numeric or alfanumeric

Alphanumeric
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by st1(m): 10:51am On Mar 13, 2008
@AKTOPGUN
Thanks my brother from another mother!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Opomulero1(m): 10:52am On Mar 13, 2008
hispy99:

Did you factor in the appreciation of the Naira against the Dollar?

Great insight - I totally forgot about that - though I don't think it fully accounts for the whole difference. Thanks sha.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by stocknrock: 10:52am On Mar 13, 2008
I dey beg NSE make this Dunlop start quick reversal cos e be like say the downtrend still dey today, e no funny o. I for sell every when e reach 7.14, na only 40% I sell, now the thing dey nose dive.

Abeg anybody fit give me comforting text say the thing go still rise. me dey fear o. make e no go enter read., from 50% e don enter 25%
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Kashif(m): 11:06am On Mar 13, 2008
stocknrock:

I dey beg NSE make this Dunlop start quick reversal because e be like say the downtrend still dey today, e no funny o. I for sell every when e reach 7.14, na only 40% I sell, now the thing dey nose dive.

Abeg anybody fit give me comforting text say the thing go still rise. me dey fear o. make e no go enter read., from 50% e don enter 25%

I bought at N5 and sold yesterday. I couldnt continue watching helplessly as the small profit dey disappear for my very before sad

But I am very optimistic it will bounce back. If I were you, I might eject now because it is most likely to shed more weight before going to the fattening room grin

Haaa! I don sound like guru grin Abeg gurus O! I take permission o!!!!! Who born me sef?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 11:07am On Mar 13, 2008
stocknrock:

I dey beg NSE make this Dunlop start quick reversal because e be like say the downtrend still dey today, e no funny o. I for sell every when e reach 7.14, na only 40% I sell, now the thing dey nose dive.

cheesy it gapped downwards from its closing price yesterday and opened lower today at N5.62 didnt it. if it closes higher than opening price today then u may have the beginning of ur reversal. patience dear friend, patience  cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 11:10am On Mar 13, 2008
actually dunlop opened at N5.60 and is trading higher than this at the moment. Lets see how it closes.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by stocknrock: 11:14am On Mar 13, 2008
Well it did open lower today at 5.62 and it seems buyers have started bidding up its price, as at now 5.8, so it seems there is a bullish reversal in order. Ill wait to see how the market closes today before placing an order to get me more units tomorrow. chao grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 11:16am On Mar 13, 2008
wanaj0:

On May and Baker, if you are in for the long run, stick with it!!!!

FG sold the vaccine company at yaba to them. So they have the market for 40% of all Vaccines in Nigeria.

Yes the PE is high for end year 2007. Basically because they allotted more shares than they planed for during the last PO, money from the PO was not received on time which led to project slippage.

I expect that the result for 2008 will be better. I also know that they are better positioned than most of the other companies in that sector. So in terms of fundamentals, May and Baker is solid!!

Thank you Wanajo, I always like the matter-of-fact manner in which you speak on any topic.  I will give it a thought, needed one healthcare stock in my portfolio.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 11:28am On Mar 13, 2008
If Gov. Eliot Spitzer of New York Were A Nigerian Governor
By Dr. Phil Tam-Al Alalibo

At moments like this, I am certain that Governor Elliot Spitzer of New York would have wished to be a Nigerian governor to enable him wiggle out rather easily from his sexual escapades and continue his stay in the Governor's mansion. For those not aware, the governor has been alleged to have an interstate tryst with a 'costly' 22-year-old prostitute named "Kristen" (real name Ashley Dupre) on numerous occasions; a venture that has gulped more than $80,000 of the governor's money over a period of time or perhaps, of New York taxpayer's money, though I hasten to add this has not been proven. As the embattled governor today tendered his resignation in utter disgrace with his emotionally battered wife, Silda, a Harvard educated lawyer like her transgressed husband, at his checkered side, I cannot help but ponder if he were indeed a Nigerian governor his sexual activities with a prostitute would be a non issue if not outright glorified; and this underscores the glaring disparity between the two societies.

The salient issues often lost in the argument are the dearth of probity, responsibility and leadership in the Nigerian political arena. Let no one be fooled, Nigerian governors are engaging aplenty in their own tryst with prostitutes; but the fact that it does not even make the news is evidence of the moral morass and abject decadence our society is embroiled in. So immune are our politicians to the needs of the people that when their actions are inimical to the greater good oftheir constituencies, they feign ignorance and proffer an inordinate amount of reason to remain in office. In Nigeria , in particular, and Africa , in general, our leaders do not know when to assuage the wishes of their constituencies and resign for the good of the nation even in the face of massive failings of personal and professional variety.

Just look at the examples – President Paul Biya of Cameroon has been in office since 1982, Daniel Arap Moi of Kenya was in office for twenty-five years, Robert Mugabe, at 83, an age he ought to be preparing to meet his maker, is not only basking in power, but continues to commit all manner of atrocities against his people. And Yoweri Museveni of Uganda has been in office since 1986 and this, after he noted at the onset that no one should be in office for more than two-terms. With the reckless abandon with which our leaders rule (not govern) and with the political debts they have to pay that facilitated their ascension to the throne, it is inconceivable that any of them would resign even when their countries are heading for the abyss of hell in a hand basket.

And at home, the Mrs. Patricia Etteh's saga presents a clear example of this malady that is afflicting our incorrigible tribe of politicians most of whom have ascended the throne on self-serving agendas. We should note the contrast here – that Spitzer resigned in forty-eight hours after he alluded to his personal failings, insisting that his shortcomings must not interfere with the peoples' business. But it took almost four months for Etteh to resign and that only after it was made abundantly clear that the Integrity Group in the House would stop at nothing to ensure the integrity of the House. In the case of Etteh, not even the death of a colleague, Dr. Safana of Kastina, provided the impetus for resignation and certainly not the fact that the nation was held hostage as they dabbled back and forth, boxing themselves in ways that would make Mike Tyson green with envy.

Most of us still remember the cases of Mr. Joshua Dariye and Diepreye Alamieyeseigha of Plateau and Bayelsa, respectively, both of whom were arrested by the London Metropolitan Police on money-laundering charges. We also remember that both escaped the long arm of the law to their respective states to continue governing. In the case of Alamieyeseigha, it was no surprise that he was even given a most enchanting welcome by his people complimented by well calibrated police salutes, all proffered to an ugly-looking cross-dressing 'female' fugitive that escaped from London under the cover of darkness.

As noted already, one of the reasons for their obstinate disposition in office is the fact that they must remain in power to repay their political debts. Thus, money bag politics become an albatross, an utter aberration to the true democratic inklings of the people. I am yet to see a Nigerian governor or high public official resign out of honor for a scandal that has plagued him/her while in office; and this noble act may very well not occur during my generation. They have all either been sacked or impeached out of office – the list is endless – Adolphus Wabara, Evan Enwerem, Chuba Okadigbo, Salisu Buhari (of Univ. of Toronto fame), Prof. Fabian Osuji and many more, all dragged out of office in the face of daunting corruption, instead of tendering their resignation and taking the path of honor.

In the case of the New York Governor, we saw his wife standing dejectedly behind him as he made his public confession of guilt. Just out of curiosity, if it were a Nigerian governor admitting to sexual failings, how many women would stand behind him in the moment of public confession, that is, if there is one? Will all his wives stand behind him or will he elect one out of the pack of wives to be so disgraced at the podium?

And recently, the Health Minister, Prof. Adenike Grange, was alleged to have been arrested by the EFCC for embezzlement of N40 million un-used ministry budget and award of contracts without adhering to due process. In any civilized society, such an arrest or even the allegation itself will be the catalyst for immediate resignation. But rather, what we had in this case was the employment of the services of spin doctors, trouble shooters, interpreters, soothsayers, native doctors, mind-changers all trying to distort the facts of the case and calling red, blue. Only in Nigeria would a public official be arrested and accused of a serious crime and the next day, he is offered a national award.

Gov. Eliot Spitzer's ill-luck is edged in the fact that he was the governor of the wrong state, in the wrong country and wrong continent. If he were a Nigerian governor, he would by now, in the midst of the public knowledge of his tryst, be meeting with the president to discuss important matters of governance and planning for his re-election, certainly not his resignation. If Nigerian governors were to resign based on their sexual indiscretions and entanglement with prostitutes and all manner of mistresses and small girls that loiter government house, there would be no governors left in any of the thirty-six states, maybe, not even a president – remember Abacha and the two Indian prostitutes?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Kashif(m): 11:31am On Mar 13, 2008
Blueband & Politics & Stock Market Tips For Nigerians undecided
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 11:37am On Mar 13, 2008
Kashif,
I just found the article interesting.I have been awake since 6pm yesterday working.This work hard pass baboon nyansh I swear.Let me go and sleep.Hope when I wake up IEI go don close above 6.50kobo make I sell.It appears there is an early oversupply of ABC on the floor right now.My broker told me today there is a strong rumour of ABC doing a 1:2 bonus and a public offer thereafter.I don't always believe my broker grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (647) (648) (649) (650) (651) (652) (653) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.