Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,054 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. (47229 Views)

Corpers Taking Selfie At Taraba River Before Drowning (Photos) / My NYSC Experience In Kano State / Nysc Stream 2 2016 Call Up Letter Officially Out For Printing *PICTURE* (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by JessiliciousJes(f): 4:58pm On Jun 09, 2016
[color=#000099]Hey everyone. smiley
I have decided to use this platform to share my day to day activities in camp which is to start by Monday June 13th.
So after days of prayer and fasting(j.k about the fasting grin) to not get posted to the North, i was posted to the worst(in terms of insecurity) of all Norths,Adamawa. cry cry cry You can imagine my face when I printed that call up letter only to find out my prayers werent answered. My heart and soul sank deeply. Anyways, God win because I believe God has a reason for everything. Good news is, I wont be stepping into Adamawa at all cheesy As some of you know, camping is taking place at Jalingo, Taraba state(my nickname literally changed from jessiliciousjes to Tarabs baby) angry. To some this may come as a relief but to me, not one bit. Im based in Lagos state and finished tertiary school from Nnamdi Azikwe university, Awka, Anambra state(in da East!!). I basically have no freaking idea how to get to the North. Mehnn was I depressed.
Well as long as google dey alive, there is always a solution. So i started googling how to get to Tarabs(that is what i call Taraba) from lagos. I was directed to so many articles, mostly some in nairaland though. I read about one transportation company that conveyed corpers from lag to tarabs, but at the end of the article, the writer wasnt so pleased about the company and instead referred readers to use fair plus, young shall grow, samfan and one other one that i cant remember due to the fact that the one he entered was way expensive. So again i googled fairplus and found their website which was really helpful by the way, i made a call to the company to find out about the price which was surprisingly 9k. That is the good news. The bad news is that it is over a day journey shocked I was shocked. Not as shocked as my elder sis who cried a lil(cos she thought i was gonna die on the way plus she's a super drama queen) or my mum who just kept screaming(for the first time i heard her call me baby) embarassed
To cut long stories short i googled some more and read other people's experiences and came to a final conclusion that the journey would be safe afterall(by the grace of God). I also made more enquiries about the camp from two of my friends who also camped there in the stream 1 set and they were like it's really cool and fun and kindda new(well..... when i get there i will confirm).
Then just a day before camping, Nysc postponed the orientation date which was by the way a HUGE inconvenince seeing as i've already gotten prepared (did my hair and shii). Well, no wahala na. It actually gave me more time to prepare.
Finally a new date was set, so i decided to go to park to see what it was like. Fairplus park is located beside Iddo busstop just afer oyingbo. I was coming from mile 2 so I took a bus to oshodi underbridge and boarded another bus going to oyingbo. I got there and booked for my seat which was still 9k and will have to be there by 6am on the day i travel.
Anyho, as we all know orientation starts on monday but i will be travelling saturday(day after tomorrow to get there on sunday) just to be in camp on time. Apparently, corpers coming from a far distance can sleep over in camp(or so i was told).
For those of you located in lag and camping in tarabs, holla me.
Stay glued for more updates. wink
Till next time......caio kiss

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by pendusky(m): 5:15pm On Jun 09, 2016
cheesy cheesy cheesy

I was posted to Taraba in 2014. It was fun, then we were using Govt Sch for Jalingo as our camp, I believed the New camp is now ready.. when you reach pls my regards to state coordinator Mr Freeeman.

Taraba is a very nice place, though i couldnt make it to Gembu "Where snow falls" grin

But believe me Taraba camp is one of the best in the country...

They have standard website http://nysctaraba.org/ something most states lacks.

Enjoy your stay bro.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by giftiebrown(m): 7:42pm On Jun 09, 2016
Following...
Nice write up BT u nid 2 mk ur stories short nd precise...
I wish u jrney mercy to camp...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by JessiliciousJes(f): 12:51pm On Jun 12, 2016
PART 2

So im in camp at this very moment.( Thank God for a safe journey).
I woke up by 4am on saturday and got ready. By 5am i headed for iddo bustop(using the cab i chattered the previous day). After boarding the bus, we left at exactly 6:30am. It was the longest journey i have ever experienced. My legs ached trying to figure out different positions to sleep. They still feel sore right now. cry cry cry
The driver made three stops for resting and eating. By 3pm we were already at awka, by 4pm Enugu. I slept so many times in the bus i cant even begin to say the time we reached different states. But when we reached Benue,i just wanted to die. I had no frigging idea it was so huge. I slept like over three times and woke up yet we were still in Benue. I just thought the driver was going round and round in Benue. At a point the driver just had to stop and rest(our second stop). Mehn did i feel like killing myself at that point.It was so cold, windy and dusty even with the windows closed.
Anyways through all and all we reached the camp by 3:30am(the first driver switched with another driver who drove all night). Approximately a 21 hour journey.After much talk with the gateman he opened the gate. Finally!!! I screamed with my inside voice. I literally flew from the bus just to get down. I had had just about enough of sitting down. Those who took the second bus were already inside(appparently their driver passed us).
We went inside to look for a place to sleep. Due to the fact that orientation doesnt start until Monday, there were no mattresses except for the three that were already being used by other corpers. So we headed to an empty hall where we sat at different places. I sat on a photocopy machine, others generator,floor,etc. I couldnt even get enough sleep cos i was so uncomfortable.
By 5am it was already getting bright. I was so surprised(not used to it being bright by that hour).
Later i went to take a look around and I must say i wasnt impressed at all. The toilets are nothing to talk home about, there is no water and electricity. I had to go and buy pure water which i used to have my bath. You know, dont get me wrong, the camp is ok in terms of the building and all but it lacked serious maintenance. Everywhere was just filled with dust and webs and trash. This camp was just overrated by my friends who stayed here during stream one.
Well i was already getting hungry so i and two other guys went to mammy market. Only a few marketers were around cos the others decided to resume on Monday. I ate an 'ok tasting' jollof rice and meat for #250. When we got back we found out they were giving mattresses to those who submitted the photocopy of their call up letter. Sharply I went to submit mine,chose a volumptous mattress and headed to the rooms given to us temporarily where I stay to write to you guys. wink

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by nonny400(m): 2:03pm On Jun 12, 2016
Cool. Graduated from UNIZIK too, but NYSC never hungry me sha.
Following.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by Iseoluwani: 5:48pm On Jun 12, 2016
Taraba!! !such a useless state served there 215 LAU lg. Useless group if Fulani's n Hausa they won't value u so don't go n kill yourself. We were d 1st set to use d new camp. Guy if u no get money 3wks go b like hell. N from lag to taraba 22hrs so if u wanna stay just pack your loads once but be warned things are expensive

2 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by Dottune(m): 9:42pm On Jun 12, 2016
Following!
Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by chukagodwin(m): 7:32am On Jun 13, 2016
Interesting i must say. I am patiently following up ok........ I am a Prospective Batch B copper.

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by JessiliciousJes(f): 11:41pm On Jun 13, 2016
PART 3

Like the pains i felt on my legs yesterday werent enough, these soldiers decided to add more pains by making us stand under the hot sun for hard labor, screaming 'sir yes sir!!!' and marching like i registered to join the Nigerian army and not NYSC. Right now i just feel complete numbness on my legs. E be like say blood no dey flow again.

Well, from the beginning, after sleeping last night like a dead person (so much so that i didnt even hear the bell ring), the bunker by my side woke me up to take my bath. BY 2AM!!! shocked cry I died a little inside). It was freezing cold outside. I didnt even bother having my bath cos i did that just 4hours ago (like 10pm). I just brushed then washed my face(and the rest wink ). Then went to bed for a quick nap only to be awoken by around 5am or was it 4am? Well i didnt check the time cos i was too busy rushing after i was told that we had to pack our belongings and go outside the gate to be addressed. I packed then went outside(good news:those who came a day before got to keep the positions we spent the night in).
When we were outside the gate, the state coordinator and some soldiers gave their semi long speech while we stood(beginning of the leg ache), then our bags were searched one by one for contrabands like knives,forks,etc. Before i travelled to the camp, I heard that extensions were not allowed(but they had just one charging point on every side of wall. That is four in a room of about 30 girls). See talk o! I sha jejely carried my extension and hid it in a hidden compartment of my box. I no fit shout.
After the searching and we entered the camp, registration started. Time for another queuing cry (I just weak). Sha i maneuvered my little body to the front line so it was quite quick for me. I supplied my documents,ID card,etc. After this, i headed to the store for another mini registration to collect our "prison uniform"(khaki,whites and the rest) at my allocated platoon queue. As usual, everything was way too big. I sha sha smiled with one soldier who changed my under sized white sneakers. Even at that it was still a lil bit undersized. At this point i just went to exchange with someone who had my size. After which i took my box to my room.
As for the khaki, i went to mammy market to get them slim fitted for #1500 angry (I never start to dey vex). While they sewed, i just went to go and chop better pounded yam with vegetable and egusi soup for #300. This food cool my temper small grin Then i went back to the tailor to test the cloth. While doing so, this soldier just came from nowhere. He shouted at the top of his Hausa accent voice, "All corpers file outside now". Omor no b small fear catch me o undecided Still wearing my khaki i file outside. He told us to form a line of threes and squat. See punishment. And for wat

Im so tired abeg. Will continue later. wink

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by JessiliciousJes(f): 4:39am On Jun 14, 2016
PART 3 continuation

As we squated,the soldier asked us why we were here? undecidedFor my mind i just be like, "shuu!!! wettin pesin dey do for mammy market ni". Anyho to cut long story short, he punished us cos according to him we were slim fitting our khaki while a "supposed" parade angry (that we werent INFORMED about) was going on. From that very point he asked us to "double up!"(run). Omor see different Usain Bolt sha. cheesy After we went to our hostels to change, dem no even give us time sef. Dem just bust the doors like Rambo,screaming and banging things. See another second lap of running. sad cry
At the parade ground we went to our stationed platoons and formed three lines. As for me ,front line no go see me even as i small reach. tongue We were given a little orientation by Last Cobra Franklyn(or so I think his name is). This guy just dey address us with names like baggar,cockroach, mumu corpers,otondo,monkey, white tolotolo,etc. sad sad sadOmor see names. Every platoon did punishment at some point when he asked us his name and we didnt know it. But he is a funny guy in general though.
Then time for marching. Ghen ghen!!! We literally marched for like 4 hours embarassed,standing under the hot sun screaming "hurray!, Yes sir!, We b mumu corpers!" Ehnnn i no just fit laugh. That pounded yam i swallow really sustain me. But see girls fainting, even the ones wey real o and ones wey dey fake. I be wan faint my own then one soldier talk say those with medical issues wont march but do sanitary duties. For where!!! I rather march than wash any mumu toilet, thank you. After getting there by like 2pm, they now decided to let us go by around 6pm. Chai!!! I couldnt even walk to my room. For some reason i had strength to wash my shoes and clean my corner in my room.
Later in the evening we were called for dinner. Saltless jollof rice and fish was what we ate. sad I didnt even finish mine. Then i trekked all the way to male hostel just to fetch water for bathing. The water situation here is terrible. Still had to stand in a long queue for my turn to fetch water. Well i sha had my bath, laid on my bed and started gisting y'all my Part 3.

22 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by Dream2(m): 5:04am On Jun 14, 2016
Following since the very first post.
Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by sammyogboso(m): 7:42am On Jun 14, 2016
Dis is grt kip it rollin, am lovin it
Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by chukagodwin(m): 8:28am On Jun 14, 2016
Hay Bae, you too much.... I dae Enjoy your sweet gist joor. Please continue.........

2 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by Edemab(f): 9:02am On Jun 14, 2016
Ure too much,am enjoying myself. Kip it up
Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by Dottune(m): 11:09am On Jun 14, 2016
Hehehe, lovely writing skills you've got, but them those una soldiers brutal o, so them go say make I stay under sun dey march for 4 hours?

I rather kill myself than commit suicide undecided

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by sammyogboso(m): 12:22pm On Jun 14, 2016
Hey bae! We're still waitin 4 ur gist pls
Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by JessiliciousJes(f): 7:31am On Jun 15, 2016
PART 4

So sorry for not writing last night. I was so tired. Plus network dey f**k up for this side.
Well, yesterday, i woke up by 1am as usual. After having my bath, i was shaking like a lunatic. Later, soldiers came to chase us from our hostels to the parade ground for meditation and practice. By 5:30am!!! shocked Mehn... i don suffer no be small. We lined up in our different platoons and started the usual. Marching! Doing the same thing we did the previous day. Learning the routine we will use for our swearing-in the next day. We practiced under the hot sun for 4 hours again. By 9:30am, we were ordered to go have breakfast and return within one hour. sad You wont believe what these cooks decided to give us. Brown water (tea) and moulded flour(that they called bread). After that excessive practice we just did, tea and bread?! O boy, i carry myself go mammy right away and ate rice and confam palm oil stew with meat. After that, went to my room to rest. Gosh!!! My legs ached like never before. I fell into a deep sleep in a matter of seconds.
By almost 11am, my friend woke me up to wear my shoes. Bia! Na only me come dey the hostel. Everyone else had already gone and they didnt wake me. Witchcraft and wickedness. Smh. Soldiers were going from room to room. I was almost caught but God win i ran very quickly.
At the parade ground, i was just yawning and yawning. I was feeling really sleepy. We repeated the same routine till after 12pm. That was a huge relief!!! Just one hour but we were to return by 4pm. Lunch was yam porridge that i wasnt interested in.
So i decided to go open a bank account, which i did with Ecobank. By 4pm, we went to the parade ground for the final practice of the day. We practiced till after 6pm and was ordered to come to the parade ground by 8am wearing our khaki outfit the following day for our swearing-in. At night, dinner was tuwo and okro soup with a piece of meat. I have never eaten tuwo before in my life. But it was ok. Those that werent on time had the "privilege" of eating bread and okro grin cheesy cos the tuwo had finished. Those that came later took bread and meat. Lol. I no fit laugh cheesy

Well, i then retired to my bed after.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by chukagodwin(m): 8:35am On Jun 15, 2016
Nice one, very interesting....... Next post please.. I am quietly following up.

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by Edemab(f): 8:44am On Jun 15, 2016
Nice one,still following

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by sammyogboso(m): 8:49am On Jun 15, 2016
Am wit u ride on
Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by Dream2(m): 8:54am On Jun 15, 2016
Bread and okro?funny,combination of life.
Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by JessiliciousJes(f): 9:50am On Jun 15, 2016
PART 5

Today is gonna be a really long day. We are to swear-in today. That means hours of standing. cry phewwww
When i woke up this morning, i had it in mind that i would be leaving the hostel by 8am according to the announcement made yesterday. But that wasnt the case. I woke up by 2am, had my bath and relaxed on my bed thinking i would have to go to the parade ground by 8am. Instead, a whistle was blown by 5:10am. I was so shocked shocked (Ahn ahn no be by 8 again?). I tire gan. Soldiers came and did their usual thing.
By 5:15am we were already at the parade ground for meditation(I forgot meditation was every morning. I really need to read the timetable) and PRACTICE!!! My dreams of resting a few hours were dashed. By 7am we were done with the practice and was told to pick trash from some parts of the camp including the parade ground. Chai!!! Lord have mercy. sad We picked for about thirty minutes and then went back to our various hostels.
We got dressed to our khaki outfits in preparation for the swearing-in. Now im on my bed gisting y'all while waiting to be chased by soldiers. tongue grin tongue

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by Missmossy(f): 6:44pm On Jun 15, 2016
Aww...keep it coming cheesy

2 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by daveP(m): 8:34pm On Jun 15, 2016
Missmossy:
Aww...keep it coming cheesy
hi wassup Mossy?
Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by Missmossy(f): 8:57pm On Jun 15, 2016
daveP:
hi wassup Mossy?
I dey oo...you

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by JessiliciousJes(f): 10:46pm On Jun 15, 2016
PART 5 continuation

As today was our swearing-in, the governor of Adamawa state was going to be present. We left to the parade ground by 10:15am. We formed a line in our various platoons and someone(cant remember who he was) came and apologized on behalf of the governor's office that the the governor would be running late. And We should wait on the parade ground a while.(Ahn ahn! Why we no fit go wait for our rooms ni? undecided Mstchww). 10:15 turned to 11:15 which also turned to 12:15. Two hours of hanging around. Some sitting while some standing. I sat on a brick stone,slept briefly twice and woke again, yet no governor. angry My ass was burning like hell. cry Which kain naija governor be this wey no dey keep to time. I was hungry and sleepy. Two dangerous combinations. Some tried leaving the parade ground with excuses like peeing, being thirsty,etc. Story for the ancestors!!! Only a few very lucky ones were allowed to pass. But at some point those selling pure water, drinks, snacks and the rest were allowed to come sell to us.By 1pm now, i already looked at my watch and tried coming up with a lie. wink Yes! Perharps if i told a soldier that i had to take my drugs by 1pm and it was in my room he would let me pass. As i was trying to perfect the lie, i looked up in the sky and there, a private jet passed over our heads heading for the airport close to the camp(first time i ever saw one so up close). Well no need lying seeing as the governor has arrived. Minutes passed and the governor never reach the parade ground. Kai menini!!! 2pm and we were asked to form our usual line. You wouldnt believe that the governor no even com sef. angry angry angry A representative was sent. So we basically spent hours waiting for a representive. If na d governor com dey show nko, na days we for wait. undecided
Well, we did the routine we had pracitced for the past two days, was addressed by the representative and then we swore in. By 3pm, the whole stuff had ended. We were allowed to leave but had to return by 5pm(Not again!!! cry ). Lunch was beans and garri so i just went to mammy market and ate jollof and fried rice,coleslaw and meat for #350. Chai! Went to my room to rest but it didnt last long. It was 5pm. I just jejely walked there myself cos i didnt have the strength to be pursued. The weather was cold. Seemed like it was about to rain(well....maybe it was a blessing). And it was. Thirty five minutes later we were dismissed cos it started to drizzle. cheesy For my mind i was like TGIR(Thank God it's raining grin ). We retired to our rooms, i took off my shoes and i just went straight into a deep sleep. The weather was so lovely. Cool and a lil bit dark.
I woke up to a very mouth watering aroma. Looked around and saw one of my roomies eating rice and stew. Abeg na camp food be that? She said 'yes, i woke you up but you didnt answer'. Hmmmm i must have been sleeping like a log of wood. It was still raining so i took my umbrella(yes! I brought an umbrella. I always come prepared smiley ) and went to the dining just to meet the longest queue ever. Shuu!!! shocked Because of rice and stew? One of my roomies and platoon member was in the middle so i just begged her instead, collected my food and it was really delicious. Really! Then i had my bath, cleaned my shoes and laid on my bed gisting you guys. Then this elderly woman just came and wants us to come outside so she came address us. Story!!! Im still typing on my phone cos i love you guys. kiss wink cheesy Goodnight.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by Edemab(f): 11:28pm On Jun 15, 2016
Gudnite dearie
Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by ibroh22(m): 4:58am On Jun 16, 2016
wow,,nyc
Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by Sese2(f): 9:48am On Jun 16, 2016
Wowww,am loving this,following all the way jare
Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by Ranchhoddas: 4:37pm On Jun 16, 2016
Great thread. Following...
Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by amiibaby(f): 6:43pm On Jun 16, 2016
Okay let me comment bfor readin shocked shocked
Re: My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. by Thunderlicious: 6:44pm On Jun 16, 2016
Those enjoying and following must be jobless

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Wheelbarrow Pusher, Graduate In His NYSC Uniform - Photos / Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice / The Plight Of NYSC Members In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.