Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,973 members, 7,817,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:33 PM

What You Should Do If You Witness A Car Crash - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What You Should Do If You Witness A Car Crash (702 Views)

When your car becomes a drinker, and your gf Sugarcane addict! / The Real People Who Were Used As Car Crash Test Dummies In 1970s Germany / Scientific Explanation Of What Happens To Your Body In A Car Crash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What You Should Do If You Witness A Car Crash by AutosBay(m): 11:56pm On Jun 09, 2016
If you find yourself the witness of an accident, here are six key tips to keep in mind. The following are the steps you should take when you see a vehicle collision:

- If you're the first person at a vehicle crash, pull completely off the road, preferably 100 feet or more away from the collision. Turn on your emergency flashers. Emergency personnel have to be able to see the collision and stop next to it for easy access.

- Check to see if anyone is injured. Keep your distance from the vehicle, however, and don't touch any of the people in the accident. At this point you are just trying to assess what happened.

- Call 9-1-1. If another person stops to help, ask that person to call 9-1-1. The person calling 9-1-1 must be ready to answer questions and provide as much information as they can, such as the location of the emergency (cross streets, freeway on/off ramp information) and how many people need help (is anyone bleeding, unconscious, or without a pulse?).

- Help anyone who is not already walking around and talking. Do not move an injured person unless he or she is in a burning vehicle or in other danger. Moving someone incorrectly often makes an injury worse.

- If possible, assist the driver of the wrecked vehicle in moving the car out of the traffic lane. Do not drive the vehicle yourself unless instructed to do so by a police officer or emergency worker.

- If you happen to have a camera on you, you will be doing the drivers of the accident a service by taking a few pictures. Be prepared to hand these over to law enforcement or the drivers themselves.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/01/car-crash-witness/

1 Like

Re: What You Should Do If You Witness A Car Crash by histemple: 1:13am On Jun 10, 2016
Nice one
Re: What You Should Do If You Witness A Car Crash by lonelydora: 5:28am On Jun 10, 2016
911 no dey work for here oooo. For here na GSM number them dey ask us to call.

For here also, no one will dare to help because of the frame up by police. Nigerians are more interested in taking pictures for social media purposes than help the victim.

3 Likes

Re: What You Should Do If You Witness A Car Crash by Nobody: 9:15am On Jun 10, 2016
Except for Osun state that has a 122 emergency number that I know of clearly, many other states foolishly expect you to call a standard 11-digit GSM number during an emergency.
Re: What You Should Do If You Witness A Car Crash by princetom1(m): 11:14am On Jun 10, 2016
0rex:
Except for Osun state that has a 122 emergency number that I know of clearly, many other states foolishly expect you to call a standard 11-digit GSM number during an emergency.

And lagos state with 767.
But lets face it, The security of Nigeria is 0 (Zero like 0 in 0rex),
If u help, u are prime suspect, if u don't help, ur heart fell burdened (for those who have a hearth and for those u have a faint hearth and cant withstand accident scenes)
I can remember alot of accident scenes i have seen, some, right before my eyes and few even involved me myself. I can still remembered one vividly that took lives, The perpetrator car, ran away, A Hummer bus involved and damaged to unrecognizable bcoz it hit a luxurious bus, (Not his faulth, but d car that ran away. Police got there and instead of trying to rescue people, they went ahead trying to arrest the luxurious bus driver. I took another bus and left the scene, as i couldn't stand the police a d the accident scene anymore. With all these happening, Nigerians are always being careful, trying to mind their bizz, so they don't get into trouble while helping. That isn't who we are. Government just need to rehabilitate, reform, reshuffle, reorganiz, bla bla bla, all those who respond to emergency, be it police, paramedics, road safety, call centre etc

1 Like

Re: What You Should Do If You Witness A Car Crash by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jun 10, 2016
princetom1:

And lagos state with 767.

Okay.

But lets face it, The security of Nigeria is 0 (Zero like 0 in 0rex),
grin

If u help, u are prime suspect, if u don't help, ur heart fell burdened (for those who have a hearth and for those u have a faint hearth and cant withstand accident scenes)
I can remember alot of accident scenes i have seen, some, right before my eyes and few even involved me myself. I can still remembered one vividly that took lives, The perpetrator car, ran away, A Hummer bus involved and damaged to unrecognizable bcoz it hit a luxurious bus, (Not his faulth, but d car that ran away. Police got there and instead of trying to rescue people, they went ahead trying to arrest the luxurious bus driver. I took another bus and left the scene, as i couldn't stand the police a d the accident scene anymore. With all these happening, Nigerians are always being careful, trying to mind their bizz, so they don't get into trouble while helping. That isn't who we are. Government just need to rehabilitate, reform, reshuffle, reorganiz, bla bla bla, all those who respond to emergency, be it police, paramedics, road safety, call centre etc

Bro, it's really pathetic. I hope things get better on time.
Re: What You Should Do If You Witness A Car Crash by baddyoosha: 4:28pm On Jun 10, 2016
lalasticlala come and see this is not snake
Re: What You Should Do If You Witness A Car Crash by diportivo: 7:31pm On Jun 10, 2016
Police is not ur friend

Na to put hand for head dey shout "eeyah' from distance in some situations o

First suspect things
Re: What You Should Do If You Witness A Car Crash by AutosBay(m): 9:51pm On Jun 10, 2016
@ deportivo I concur
Re: What You Should Do If You Witness A Car Crash by chimah3(m): 2:06pm On Jun 12, 2016
Don't take pictures :/

(1) (Reply)

Original Outstanding Brakepad....... / Ac/battery Issue With My Car / BREAKING NEWS! Senate Seeks To Ban Importation Of Used Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.