Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,783 members, 7,955,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:51 PM

Help! Should I Quit My Job For This Reason?? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Help! Should I Quit My Job For This Reason?? (1673 Views)

Should I Quit My Job For NYSC??? / Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? / Lady Looking For A Job For Her Boyfriend On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! Should I Quit My Job For This Reason?? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jun 11, 2016
Good day friends, I have a serious decision to make and it's kind of hard because of some factors

I am an electrical engineering graduate, and God has been good to me in that I practice my profession and am paid for it. I earn about 90,000 naira monthly where is currently work and even though it's a factory, I still have relative time to do other things that still brings money.

But with the harsh economic condition that the country is facing, and the massive layoff of workers in most sectors, job insecurity is now becoming an ever present cause of anxiety. So for the first time, am thinking about what could happen if I loose my job.

That aside, right now I have some money I've saved for a while now. So am thinking of how bad an idea it will be if I decide to go into the commercial driving profession. We all know there is nothing like a business that brings money everyday. And am sure this will! Because I have a friend who drives a bus from toll gate to oshodi amd he's able to save at least 10,000 everyday after all the expenses and ticketing. He now has 2 buses, a personal car and a House in just a year and six months into the business. He doesn't smoke nor drink, jist like me.

So please I need serious advise. If possible I might even quit this job to face it full time. Do you think it's a great move or something is wrong with me upstairs
Please candid answers only.

Thanks
Re: Help! Should I Quit My Job For This Reason?? by Xtaceeey: 4:19pm On Jun 11, 2016
Hmmmm.... what worked for him may not work for you.

You shouldn't determine your fate by that of your contemporaries.

5 Likes

Re: Help! Should I Quit My Job For This Reason?? by tunisbaba(m): 4:33pm On Jun 11, 2016
Sebi u said u never lose the job, then why you wan quit, but it is a good tin to invest sha. Above all, i dont wana bliv u wana quit ur job to becom a danfo driver
Re: Help! Should I Quit My Job For This Reason?? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jun 11, 2016
Xtaceeey:
Hmmmm.... what worked for him may not work for you.

You shouldn't determine your fate by that of your contemporaries.

Typical Nigerians thinking like Nigerians.

Its Fate, God, luck over common sense!

1 Like

Re: Help! Should I Quit My Job For This Reason?? by LaurelP(m): 4:42pm On Jun 11, 2016
Well its a good idea and nothing is wrong with u both upstairs and downstairs.
But I don't think it's wise for you to quit your job.
If its possible for you to test the waters first, then do so to avoid regret.
Re: Help! Should I Quit My Job For This Reason?? by SalvationMopol: 4:43pm On Jun 11, 2016
@Op... Did you pray about it?
doing things others do might be misleading most times. in as much Mr A is able to succeed on something doesn't make it practically possible for Mr B. This is because you may start transport business n face much more unforseen challenges than ur friend such as repeated assaults from Lasma (which we know is not good for business) or possible accident/death.
Re: Help! Should I Quit My Job For This Reason?? by Xtaceeey: 4:44pm On Jun 11, 2016
DMeanMan:

Typical Nigerians thinking like Nigerians.

Its Fate, God, luck over common sense!

So because his friend drives a commercial bus and makes it, he should quit his job and do same business to be like him too?

Am sure u must be OBI in d novel "ifeanyi & obi"...

1 Like

Re: Help! Should I Quit My Job For This Reason?? by ZORO47(m): 4:47pm On Jun 11, 2016
You can at least buy the bus from your savings and employ drivers which would give you your own cut, and you get to still retain your work at your company. Its a win win

2 Likes

Re: Help! Should I Quit My Job For This Reason?? by Cutehector(m): 5:00pm On Jun 11, 2016
Op yes, go and buy a taxi or a bus..

Pls take risks... the worst thing in life is not starting anything at all.. and being at the mercy of your employer..
Re: Help! Should I Quit My Job For This Reason?? by emmanuelbrown26: 5:15pm On Jun 11, 2016
Cutehector:
Op yes, go and buy a taxi or a bus..

Pls take risks... the worst thing in life is not starting anything at all.. and being at the mercy of your employer..
kai mumen u really sounded like a real hustler, life is all about risk, i prefer to try and fail than not to try anyting bcs if u try u hv goten the experience. Then @op now u hv dat money cash i will suggest u buy the car and give it out as high purchase bcs high purchase whether the driver go work or not he must account for the day. Any day he didn't make an account he is on his own dats no 1 rule and u can take it from him whether he has given u almost the whole money

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help! Should I Quit My Job For This Reason?? by debbydee(f): 5:17pm On Jun 11, 2016
My advice to the OK don't quit your job. You can buy a bus or taxi then anytime you are less busy or off from work you can drive and make some money for yourself. Secondly you can take the bus to work pick passengers along the way and even when you close you do the same. DON'T GIVE A DRIVER TO DRIVE FOR YOU ELSE YOU REGRET IT. PEACE.

3 Likes

Re: Help! Should I Quit My Job For This Reason?? by 0955eb027(m): 6:28pm On Jun 11, 2016
Just like the poster above me said, buy a bus, possibly a space bus. Your target should be those heading towards the same destination (home to workplace, workplace to home), remember we are testing the waters. The gains should be for fuel, maintenance and upkeep. Please dont quit your job, decide after a year.
Re: Help! Should I Quit My Job For This Reason?? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jun 11, 2016
Thanks al
Re: Help! Should I Quit My Job For This Reason?? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jun 11, 2016
tunisbaba:
Sebi u said u never lose the job, then why you wan quit, but it is a good tin to invest sha. Above all, i dont wana bliv u wana quit ur job to becom a danfo driver

U make it look like sango driving is for the lowlife and miscreants. I feel different. They may dominate that sector, but it doesn't mean one can't be different from them. I saw one today. A clean driver, about my age. I just feel like going into it.

Thanks anyway. Am just thinking about it.
Re: Help! Should I Quit My Job For This Reason?? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jun 11, 2016
LaurelP:
Well its a good idea and nothing is wrong with u both upstairs and downstairs.
But I don't think it's wise for you to quit your job.
If its possible for you to test the waters first, then do so to avoid regret.

Nice advise. To test the waters. A close friend also told me that.

1 Like

Re: Help! Should I Quit My Job For This Reason?? by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jun 11, 2016
SalvationMopol:
@Op... Did you pray about it?
doing things others do might be misleading most times. in as much Mr A is able to succeed on something doesn't make it practically possible for Mr B. This is because you may start transport business n face much more unforseen challenges than ur friend such as repeated assaults from Lasma (which we know is not good for business) or possible accident/death.

I'll keep praying sir. Someday I'll decide. And I hope it's gods will.
Re: Help! Should I Quit My Job For This Reason?? by kevoh(m): 6:57pm On Jun 11, 2016
Don't quit just yet. Nothing is wrong with you. You can put the car on hire purchase collect your daily returns till the driver fully pays the agreed amount while you stick to your job! if you do not take the risk today you will end up spending that cash on less important things.
Re: Help! Should I Quit My Job For This Reason?? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jun 11, 2016
My advice :

As an engineer, try so much to build a career.
By this I mean, gaining extensive knowledge /experience base in your chosen field. Where you are now is nothing compared to where you will be tomorrow. All it takes is career planning.

Invest in your self for now cos the greatest and most rewarding investment is that which you invest in self. Enhance your professional qualification(s) Be focused cos you are a career person.

Going into commercial bus driving is not a suitable career path for you if you ask me.

There is always a room for the best irrespective of the space limitation. You have a noble profession, think of yourself becoming a consultant in your field tomorrow based on wealth of experience you can garner now.

Overlook the material possession of your friend for now and focus on your self development. Opportunities would be there for you only if you prepare yourself today.

Bringing all together:
>Strengthen your foundation

>>Enhance your skill and knowledge base on your field of expertise

>>>Stay focused and work your way to the peak of your career path.

>>>>Every other thing must follow appropriately. The journey may be long but it worths it.

1 Like

Re: Help! Should I Quit My Job For This Reason?? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jun 11, 2016
Wow....thanks so much for your concern. Taking so much time to write this. Fact is I don't really fancy my career. I don't want to be caught in the all busy life in the fast lane. I want to be independent. But il think of it.

Okikiki:
My advice :

As an engineer, try so much to build a career.
By this I mean, gaining extensive knowledge /experience base in your chosen field. Where you are now is nothing compared to where you will be tomorrow. All it takes is career planning.

Invest in your self for now cos the greatest and most rewarding investment is that which you invest in self. Enhance your professional qualification(s) Be focused cos you are a career person.

Going into commercial bus driving is not a suitable career path for you if you ask me.

There is always a room for the best irrespective of the space limitation. You have a noble profession, think of yourself becoming a consultant in your field tomorrow based on wealth of experience you can garner now.

Overlook the material possession of your friend for now and focus on your self development. Opportunities would be there for you only if you prepare yourself today.

Bringing all together:
>Strengthen your foundation

>>Enhance your skill and knowledge base on your field of expertise

>>>Stay focused and work your way to the peak of your career path.

>>>>Every other thing must follow appropriately. The journey may be long but it worths it.
Re: Help! Should I Quit My Job For This Reason?? by Achievement: 9:35pm On Jun 11, 2016
Get Cash Get Paid... A once in a lifetime opportunity to be a model and get paid for it no hassles... Join Steele Modelling Agency. A South African modelling agency with branches all over Africa for more info contact on whatsapp
Cassandra - 07014243302 with the word 'Steele Model'
Re: Help! Should I Quit My Job For This Reason?? by tunisbaba(m): 2:49pm On Jun 12, 2016
bizie:

U make it look like sango driving is for the lowlife and miscreants. I feel different. They may dominate that sector, but it doesn't mean one can't be different from them. I saw one today. A clean driver, about my age. I just feel like going into it.

Thanks anyway. Am just thinking about it.
No. Do not misrepresent my post. I also live with one of them that is clean, handsome and cool headed but what I am trying to say is that since you are not fired from your job, do not quit it to start a driving career but you can betterstill invest in transport business

(1) (Reply)

Cwaygroup / N-power Online Test, Past Questions And Answers / Office Secretary Urgently Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.