Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,924 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:19 PM

Emotional Onigbinde Laments: Amodu, Keshi Were Supposed To Take Over From Me - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Emotional Onigbinde Laments: Amodu, Keshi Were Supposed To Take Over From Me (389 Views)

Amodu Shuaibu’s Son, Suleman, Dies At 12 / Amodu Shuaibu Is Dead (Ex-Coach, Super Eagles) / Amodu Shuaibu's Tribute To Stephen Keshi From Keshi's Condolence Register (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Emotional Onigbinde Laments: Amodu, Keshi Were Supposed To Take Over From Me by robosky02(m): 4:08pm On Jun 12, 2016
The veteran former Nigeria coach has been left distraught by the close deaths of the two successful coaches who passed on with days of each other.

Former Super Eagles coach Chief Adegboye Onigbinde has lamented the untimely deaths of both Shaibu Amodu and Stephen Keshi, men who he claimed were supposed to be the leading lights of Nigerian football coaches in years to come.

Amodu’s was announced on Saturday morning, three days after Keshi passed on at the age of 54.

Onigbinde, who has been involved with the national team as a coach since 1982, said they late duo had all it takes to move Nigerian football forward but unfortunately won’t be around to give of their experience.

“The news of the sudden death of coach Amodu is a shocking one. One has not even recovered from the news of the sudden death of Stephen Keshi before the shattering news of Amodu's death,” Onigbinde told Goal.

“It pains me that when I thought we were beginning to get it right in the Technical Department of the Nigeria Football Federation with Amodu in charge, that's when death came knocking and took him away. It is sad and very painful

“At the time he had not been appointed, I was the one pushing him to go for it and head the NFF technical department because I knew he was capable.

“I told him to go ahead and let's get something out of this before he agreed to do it. I told him then that he has the heart and the wherewithal to confront all obstacles in doing this job. He did not disappoint me until death took him away.

“This is what led to my level of frustration on his death. We are struggling to see who will take over from us when we finally leave the stage (coaching) but the people that are supposed to take over from us are the ones going one by one.

“This is very sad and I am very emotional about this. May the soul of the departed rest in perfect peace,” Onigbinde said.

Amodu was buried in his hometown in Okpella on Saturday according to Islamic rites.

(1) (Reply)

Live Portugal Vs Wales / Watch Rio 2016 Olympic Live / French Riot Police Fire Tear Gas At Supporters Outsider

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.