Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,695 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:57 PM

Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You (29604 Views)

Is This True About People Working In Lagos? / Vulcanizer Dies After Tyre Explodes While Working In His Workshop.Graphic Photos / The Benefits Of Working For Yourself (self- Employed) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by HAH: 9:14am On Jan 16, 2017
Banking this days is nothing but suffer head because of what I hear from former colleagues, I worked in a bank for 12 years and left in 2013 as a DM and a branch manager. I started in 2001 with a monthly salary of about 100k, we were the highest paying bank then my friends in NNPC and CBN were collecting 20k monthly I was like a king but this days even ordinary civil defence recruits get paid like bankers.

Along the line as I get promoted every two years till 2009 when crises started and we were stagnated, no promotion, the pressure getting higher, the abuse from mgt getting high too,my friends in NNPC, civil service and others that were seeing me as big boy then are now ogas, they get more than my salary of about 650k from allowances for travels and salaries, I realised I have reached my limit in the bank and not everyone will be MD or AGM so I decided to take a bold step and resigned to start business, Men it wasn't easy to be an entrepreneur, I started regretting my action but cannot go back so I continued to struggle. With resilience success came

Today am 41 and I have about 20 permanent employees and 25_30 casual workers and I cannot even accept being an AGM. Banking is a good step for a young graduate to start from because they will train you well and the work will teach you resilience, also because I worked in bank with good pay I have all the basic thing of life like houses.

My advice to aspiring bankers is please enter with an exit plan unless you are related to owners of the bank or can kiss arse well.

Nothing is as good as hard work

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by Chukwumeremeze(m): 9:33am On Jan 16, 2017
DWJOBScom:

Keep up with the message of working for another man and fulfilling his dreams while you remain jobless. it reminds me of the same story GNLD and others tell to make you part with money .
He was diligent and upright and survived 25 whole years in an institution so he's to be respected to your being your whole boss yet so broke campaign

25 years of service in banking is plausible! The man has taken career tours in different positions or units, and still delivered excellently. Every job has it's pros and cons even though banking seems a little extreme, but someone's got to do the job.

Quote me, banking is a honourable profession regardless!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by DWJOBScom(m): 9:34am On Jan 16, 2017
obitee69:

Remain an employee forever mate. I'm an employer of Labour with staff strength of 12. Expanding viciously

You still look like a struggling man mate

Successful people have a pattern of speaking and you don't have that line or tone yet!

Go read good books and stop being a reckless marketer

2 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by DWJOBScom(m): 9:35am On Jan 16, 2017
Chukwumeremeze:

25 years of service in banking is plausible! The man has taken career tours in different positions or units, and still delivered excellently. Every job has it's pros and cons even though banking seems a little extreme, but someone's got to do the job.

Quote me, banking is a honourable profession regardless!

I agree with you man

was just giving someone a lesson on being less stupid

2 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by mercichoco(f): 9:39am On Jan 16, 2017
livgenius:
Someone is talking to u from his personal experience and you call him a liar

Take home every month may be lower but when you add allowances, upfront payments, profit sharing, u will definitely make up to that a month.

And bank pass bank. The bank I work at, entry level make up to 200k a month on average

Also some banks have better graduate programmes than others. Graduate programme employees make at least 400k per month on average where I work. I have only worked for 1.5 years and I have savings over N5m

Sometimes remember that you don't know everything and try to listen when people try to educate you
savings of 5m in 18 months? Hmmm! There is God O. That is savings of more than 280k a month. How much do you earn ni?

5 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by Sashafm(f): 9:49am On Jan 16, 2017
africansunite:

Oga olufunso50, 25 years experience in banking? you must be at least on a grade of AGM designate. That's far higher than PS in civil service. And you are on nairalandforum arguing with secondary school pupils, where you get the time sir? A fresh graduate earning 250k and 350k. On what grade will he start? Oga you must talking about CBN cos that salary is for (with the good paying banks) Executive Assistants And Assistant Banking Officer respectfully. BTW as said above, banking is not advisable for a future entrepreneurs. The more you look, the less you see...
Yes fresh graduates do earn above 250k in some banks.
I joined a new generation bank last year as a fresh graduate through the graduate trainee program. I had no work experience prior to my employment and I earn 260k.
Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by kjhova(m): 9:54am On Jan 16, 2017
Trecixnine:

This is a lie from the pit of hell, no wonder you are all dying to work in a bank. I have more than 25years of banking carrier and still counting, spanning 6different banks. The pay is not as juicy as the guy has just painted .

Chairman, I don't know what banks you have worked with but if you have spent 25yrs in the industry, you will know that entry level today is different from entry level 25yrs ago. I was at Intercontinental in 2007 and my entry level pay was N2.4M...and that wasn't even my gross!!

He is very right.
Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by Divine88: 10:03am On Jan 16, 2017
Wonder when this country will meet up to the level of a developed country.
People screaming here about earning a salary of 250k per month working tirelessly everyday. They think that's life.
I studies in the UK and work partime 15hours at a local grocery store while studying. I take home BTW £500-£550 every month( on a minimum wage oo).
Now multiply £550 by #600( exchange rate). So I take home #330000 every month, working for just 15 hours every week.
No wonder a lot of us want to leave this shores.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by Nobody: 10:09am On Jan 16, 2017
obitee69:

Lies from the depth of hell. Do bankers really have savings? After being encumbered by loans and advances here and there?

Haa, guy easy naa...everybody is a liar to you, you should realize that everybody mustn't be you, some people work in a bank with alternate income source, or still young enough to enjoy shelter and feeding from home, it's quite possible to have savings under such conditions.
Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by Nobody: 10:40am On Jan 16, 2017
kayLion:

I guess you are a billionaire

Nope still struggling. I'm 28 and an entrepreneur. I know were am going. Time is of the essence
Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by Icon4s(m): 10:42am On Jan 16, 2017
livgenius:

Take home every month may be lower but when you add allowances, upfront payments, profit sharing, u will definitely make up to that a month.

And bank pass bank. The bank I work at, entry level make up to 200k a month on average

Also some banks have better graduate programmes than others. Graduate programme employees make at least 400k per month on average where I work. I have only worked for 1.5 years and I have savings over N5m

Sometimes remember that you don't know everything and try to listen when people try to educate you

You dey play or you mean am?

2 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by Everblazinggg(f): 10:43am On Jan 16, 2017
Following...
Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by ephi123(f): 10:47am On Jan 16, 2017
obitee69:

Remain an employee forever mate. I'm an employer of Labour with staff strength of 12. Expanding viciously

His point is EVERYONE cannot be an employer of Labour. Do what works for you, you don't need to prescribe your method for others because everyone has different goals and ambitions. Do what suits you and let others do what suits them.
Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by kjhova(m): 10:51am On Jan 16, 2017
Divine88:
People screaming here about earning a salary of 250k per month working tirelessly everyday. They think that's life.
I studies in the UK and work partime 15hours at a local grocery store while studying. I take home BTW £500-£550 every month( on a minimum wage oo).
Now multiply £550 by #600( exchange rate). So I take home #330000 every month, working for just 15 hours every week.

The cost of living also varies between Nigeria and the UK therefore my N250K is worth more to me in Lagos than GBP550 can be for someone in the heart of London.

We don't think that 250k/month salary on a 9-to-5 job (actually 6:30-to-7) is life but that is all we got and dignity of labour dictates that we appreciate that considering the limitd opportunities.

Nigeria with USD380Billion GDP cannot be compared to the UK with GDP of USD3Trillion.

8 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by ephi123(f): 10:52am On Jan 16, 2017
africansunite:

Oga olufunso50, 25 years experience in banking? you must be at least on a grade of AGM designate. That's far higher than PS in civil service. And you are on nairalandforum arguing with secondary school pupils, where you get the time sir? A fresh graduate earning 250k and 350k. On what grade will he start? Oga you must talking about CBN cos that salary is for (with the good paying banks) Executive Assistants And Assistant Banking Officer respectfully. BTW as said above, banking is not advisable for a future entrepreneurs. The more you look, the less you see...

It's interesting your moniker is africansunite while your comment is promoting disunity. Someone has come out to provide info based on his experience and you are here pulling him down.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by Handsomecole(m): 10:53am On Jan 16, 2017
Respect to bankers but I can't be one, I don't even have the passion to be one. I'm okay with my politics, politics money na dey sweet pass . tongue
Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by Nobody: 10:53am On Jan 16, 2017
fujirice:

Oga you are very narrow minded and unteachable.
How can you be walking over the whole thread calling different people liars? Wetin dey work you?
You sound so daft mehn! Eish!!!

Pls stop replying that man, he is probably an MMM guider who has ripped of ppl n feels the world rolls like d@, pls ppl as someone pointed out not every1 is cut out for business, if you get a job and truly v the passion trust me you would over succeed and be buoyant so don't mind all those derby downers grin

1 Like

Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by ephi123(f): 11:06am On Jan 16, 2017
Divine88:

Do you also realize cost of living is much higher in the UK? You can spend at much as £1000 monthly on rent. You can't simply compare salaries in the UK vs Nigeria without comparing living costs.

1 Like

Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by Raphael81(m): 11:46am On Jan 16, 2017
HAH:
Banking this days is nothing but suffer head because of what I hear from former colleagues, I worked in a bank for 12 years and left in 2013 as a DM and a branch manager. I started in 2001 with a monthly salary of about 100k, we were the highest paying bank then my friends in NNPC and CBN were collecting 20k monthly I was like a king but this days even ordinary civil defence recruits get paid like bankers.

Along the line as I get promoted every two years till 2009 when crises started and we were stagnated, no promotion, the pressure getting higher, the abuse from mgt getting high too,my friends in NNPC, civil service and others that were seeing me as big boy then are now ogas, they get more than my salary of about 650k from allowances for travels and salaries, I realised I have reached my limit in the bank and not everyone will be MD or AGM so I decided to take a bold step and resigned to start business, Men it wasn't easy to be an entrepreneur, I started regretting my action but cannot go back so I continued to struggle. With resilience success came

Today am 41 and I have about 20 permanent employees and 25_30 casual workers and I cannot even accept being an AGM. Banking is a good step for a young graduate to start from because they will train you well and the work will teach you resilience, also because I worked in bank with good pay I have all the basic thing of life like houses.

My advice to aspiring bankers is please enter with an exit plan unless you are related to owners of the bank or can kiss arse well.

You are the true definition of a successful man, u didn't even look back at what you left behind by leaving the bank job, wow God bless u sir

4 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by Raphael81(m): 11:55am On Jan 16, 2017
kjhova:

Chairman, I don't know what banks you have worked with but if you have spent 25yrs in the industry, you will know that entry level today is different from entry level 25yrs ago. I was at Intercontinental in 2007 and my entry level pay was N2.4M...and that wasn't even my gross!!

He is very right.

2.4million Chinekeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by laudate: 12:07pm On Jan 16, 2017
alizma:

why call someone you don't know a lier over an issue you don't have idea of?
ask questions if you find something strange rather than calling him a lier. by calling him a lier, u just expose your level of ignorance of the banking sector. the guy is right about the salary range for a core staff.

No, he is not. shocked Entry level salaries for fresh banking graduates hover around 100k to 150k per month!

ednut1:
first bank, stanbic, keystone etc do not pay entry level 250k or more abeg. and some pay salary in full abeg. anyways fire on. educate them about banking not the General misconception they have.

They pay far lower than 250k a month to entry-level graduates.

Trecixnine:
This is a lie from the pit of hell, no wonder you are all dying to work in a bank. I have more than 25years of banking carrier and still counting, spanning 6 different banks. The pay is not as juicy as the guy has just painted .

You are right! cheesy
Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by alizma: 12:11pm On Jan 16, 2017
laudate:

No, he is not. shocked Entry level salaries for fresh banking graduates hover around 100k to 150k per month!
lol, do you know there is a micro finance bank that paid a graduate 120 at entry level?
if you say majority of the banks pay below 200k, I am not disputing that but don't say no bank pays 200k at entry level.

1 Like

Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by laudate: 12:14pm On Jan 16, 2017
alizma:

lol, do you know there is a micro finance bank that paid a graduate 120 at entry level?
if you say majority of the banks pay below 200k, I am not disputing that but don't say no bank pays 200k at entry level.

The guy made it sound as if most banks were paying 250k and above as starting salaries to entry-level graduates, when that is blatantly untrue. The example of the microfinance bank you gave, is an exception. I know of at least 3 microfinance banks in Lagos, where starting salary for entry-level graduates is like 95k per month.
Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by laudate: 12:21pm On Jan 16, 2017
coveredchic:
Nairalanders can be so rude! This is a person with 25 years experience. My dad retired after 30 years. That means the op must be quite elderly or at least middle-aged. Just recently, i was discussing with someone how difficult it was for Nigerian youths to find mentors and now i have my answer. The Nigerian youth indeed has a long way to go.

The internet has a cover of anonymity, which is why people can take it for granted and post anything. undecided How are you sure that the chap actually has 25 years experience in the banking industry? Some of the claims he is making about the pay package of entry-level graduates is rather suspect, and some people find it to be an insult to their intelligence, especially those with proof of how the system works. sad
Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by laudate: 12:27pm On Jan 16, 2017
livgenius:

Entry-level graduates hardly get anything substantial from profit-sharing, at the end of the year. Graduate programmes are usually a feature of multinational banks. Very few local banks have this programme. What kind of upfront payments are entry-level graduates entitled to? And how much is it? And in 1.5 years you saved 5 million?? shocked Do you live with a relative and do not pay rent, or do you work in the forex dept of a bank and you do back door deals? Just asking.

1 Like

Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by tunlex01(m): 12:34pm On Jan 16, 2017
Always say what you know. Some banks in this country currently pay within 250k - 300k to entry level. Get your facts right. That your bank does not pay doesn't mean other banks don't.
Papasland21:

While am not in support of his use of words, am a banker too and hardly,I repeat, hardly will u get that salary range for entry level in banks post Sanusi era.

We need to b well informed before making post to general public.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by laudate: 12:35pm On Jan 16, 2017
HAH:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. cool This is more believable, quite insightful and less subjective than Ogaolufunsho50's account on the opening page. The comparison you made with those in other industries, also puts everything in context. Starting salaries for entry-level graduates in the banking sector 10 years ago, is a far cry for what it is now. So people should stop making sweeping generalisations and expecting others to take it as the gospel truth. Again, thanks for sharing. undecided
Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by laudate: 12:36pm On Jan 16, 2017
tunlex01:
Always say what you know. Some banks in this country currently pay within 250k - 300k to entry level. Get your facts right. That your bank does not pay doesn't mean other banks don't.

Oga, there are over 26 banks in this country, so which ones exactly are you referring to, that currently pay that much to entry level graduates??
Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by livgenius: 12:45pm On Jan 16, 2017
laudate:

Entry-level graduates hardly get anything substantial from profit-sharing, at the end of the year. Graduate programmes are usually a feature of multinational banks. Very few local banks have this programme. What kind of upfront payments are entry-level graduates entitled to? And how much is it? And in 1.5 years you saved 5 million?? shocked Do you live with a relative and do not pay rent, or do you work in the forex dept of a bank and you do back door deals? Just asking.

They can get housing for example. It differs by bank

I live with parents. But how much will rent be? Max 300k for a one bedroom in a good area. I don't work in treasury. I earn a very good salary
Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by laudate: 12:48pm On Jan 16, 2017
livgenius:
They can get housing for example. It differs by bank
I live with parents. But how much will rent be? Max 300k for a one bedroom in a good area. I don't work in treasury. I earn a very good salary

I see. You live with your parents so housing, feeding & transport is taken care of, by them. Just curious. What kind of figures do entry-level graduates get for housing? You made it seem as if your own experience holds true for most banks.

1 Like

Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by tunlex01(m): 12:50pm On Jan 16, 2017
laudate:

Oga, there are over 26 banks in this country, so which ones exactly are you referring to, that currently pay that much to entry level graduates??
I will give you just one - Skye! Find out others
Re: Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You by livgenius: 12:52pm On Jan 16, 2017
Ask anybody that went through access bank training school

They start on 240k monthly

Just because you don't know doesn't mean it doesn't exist

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Helina Gbadegesin, A Female Graduate Who Is A Carpenter (Photos) / How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? / Women Bosses And Their Women Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.