Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,666 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:47 PM

When Banks Steal (wema A Case Study) - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / When Banks Steal (wema A Case Study) (1459 Views)

How Banks Steal Your Money Unaware / Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo / Wema Bank Launches Solar-powered Mobile Branch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Banks Steal (wema A Case Study) by countsparrow: 6:03pm On Jun 13, 2016
When banks say they are trying to rebrand, or change their mode of service for better, it is not all about changing the wall paints and recruiting younger faces, but changing the old banking mentality they have and putting in place measures that helps them stand out from the rest. A wise man once told me, if you keep doing what you are doing, you keep getting what you are getting. Wema bank falls into this category. In a time when money doesn't come easy and people work hard for every penny that comes their way, banks shouldn't also add to this hardship by defrauding customers... There is no excuse they can give,the bottom line is, they are not doing their job well, and I don't blame them it shows in their banking ethics. They prefer to leave their seats and gist while customers are lining up

Today, Wema bank sent me a debit alert of 19,551 naira of money that has been debited before, when I called to ask them why, their customer service told me sometimes banks carry out transactions without debiting the account. I laughed, Please is that possible? I was very sure the money had been removed from my account previously, I just called to know the excuse they wanted to give me. And when I heard that from them, I knew WEMA bank couldn't be trusted as a banking institution.

* when you are not sure of the reason something is done, never ever give an excuse that implicates an institution, rather say, sorry sir,I will get back to you...
Maybe, just maybe, Wema bank staff don't go through the normal training other banks such as First bank and GTB put their staff through, no wonder the afore mentioned are leading banks and Wema is not

On the 8th of June, I carried out a transaction on my account, sperate transactions of 53usd and 57usd respectively, totaling 110usd. I paid with my card, and immediately I checked to see my account balance, 37k+ was removed from my account. I was surprised at the money deducted and I called Purple connect immediately, the representative told me the dollar rate had increased and that was the reason I was charged so much... At the time of this debit,my available balance moved from 69k to 32k. Today on my way from VI, I received another debit of 57usd from my available balance which was previously paid for on the 8th of june. If this is not fraud, what else could it be called. I spent over 2hours at their Adealu branch today trying to explain things to them, showing them evidence of both SMS and mails I received, they couldn't do anything still. If the same was done to people with millions in their account, how will they know? I believe in banking with a bank with integrity, but it seems Wema lacks that. Of you are thinking of banking with them or you already have an account with them, its better you think twice. I would rather line up for hours at GTB than allow some thiefing institution steal my hard earned cash. I will update this thread with every development, and I pray and hope my money will be refunded...
Re: When Banks Steal (wema A Case Study) by deeswagger: 6:10pm On Jun 13, 2016
oga o, won't we go back to saving our money in piggy banks like this, if banks can't be trusted to help manage our money... come and see fraud in high places. Wema bank na mumu bank nah

cc lalasticlala, justwise
Re: When Banks Steal (wema A Case Study) by bimbochoco(m): 6:18pm On Jun 13, 2016
Mods this is front page worthy, and the worst part is they might not resolve the issue in months, bloggers food is ready, Lalastic, how far nah
Re: When Banks Steal (wema A Case Study) by Creamish(f): 8:26pm On Jun 13, 2016
Op.. Did u ask for ur bank statement? You will see all the entries in ur account for that period as well as the narration for the debits in question. Start from there. Report the debits u see that should not be there.
Re: When Banks Steal (wema A Case Study) by countsparrow: 10:20pm On Jun 13, 2016
Creamish:
Op.. Did u ask for ur bank statement? You will see all the entries in ur account for that period as well as the narration for the debits in question. Start from there. Report the debits u see that should not be there.

If you see the statement of account printed for me, u will pity me... Those transactions i paid for either with POS or online did not show in the statement, it shows after it is removed from the ledger account which could be days or weeks after the day the transaction was carried out.

There is a thing they do, i dont know if its done by all banks, when you pay with your card, the money for such transaction is removed from your available balance and kept in your ledger balance. So when they are ready to pay the merchants, they remove that amount from the ledger account that houses it... When i did the transaction the money was removed from my available balance, and kept in my ledger account... Today, another one was withdrawn from my available balance, and paid to the merchant. So what now happens to the one in the ledger balance i cant access? Its a funny way to steal money, and quite complex to people who dont understand the process
Re: When Banks Steal (wema A Case Study) by pabjaye: 8:51am On Jun 14, 2016
Could you please provide your phone number so a representative can call you for support and help resolve the issue?
Re: When Banks Steal (wema A Case Study) by countsparrow: 9:34am On Jun 14, 2016
pabjaye:
Could you please provide your phone number so a representative can call you for support and help resolve the issue?

I was at your branch yesterday, the painful part was the customer care agent kept telling me i was wrong. Its my money, i own it and i know how i spend cause its my business account, and i dont keep much in it. l
Luckily for me, this transaction happened 6 days ago. Now i need my money, i dont have access to it. Its so painful afterall, wema bank staff told me to give the bank another chance not long ago after i complained about the bank... I am a young entrepreneur, and things like this can put a man off business in no time... If my issues cant be solved in 48hours, then i have lost all hope and trust in this institution. 08135278456 is my number, and i have contacted purple connect. They said they will work on it, but i dont need a 6months or 1 year case like in the previous thread i saw here, i need a speedy resolution cause i need my money
Re: When Banks Steal (wema A Case Study) by pabjaye: 11:36am On Jun 14, 2016
This is acknowledging your feedback. Rest assured a speedy resolution and consistent updates as it happens.
Re: When Banks Steal (wema A Case Study) by Creamish(f): 12:12pm On Jun 14, 2016
I hope ur issue will be resolved soonest. Good thing a bank rep is here n has taken responsibility..

All d best!

Thanks @pabjaye

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Banks Steal (wema A Case Study) by countsparrow: 4:00pm On Jun 14, 2016
I was called by Wema today around 1:30pm, and the representaitve told me, my issue will be resolved before the end of today. Still waiting....

1 Like

Re: When Banks Steal (wema A Case Study) by pabjaye: 8:21am On Jun 15, 2016
I hope the issue has been resolved now. We will appreciate your feedback also.
Re: When Banks Steal (wema A Case Study) by countsparrow: 11:51am On Jun 15, 2016
Problem resolved, i received a call around 5:30pm yesterday and the 19,555 held was returned to my available balance....
Re: When Banks Steal (wema A Case Study) by countsparrow: 11:52am On Jun 15, 2016
Problem resolved, i received a call around 5:30pm yesterday and the 19,555 held was returned to my available balance.... Thank you Mr Pabjaye
Re: When Banks Steal (wema A Case Study) by pabjaye: 1:26pm On Jun 15, 2016
Nice to hear! Let's Thank the Wema Bank Team.

Remember, you can always contact the service team (Purple Connect) on 08039003700 or 012777700, or write to Purpleconnect@wemabank.com for any queries you may have and expect speedy support.
Re: When Banks Steal (wema A Case Study) by Nobody: 6:58am On Jun 16, 2016
Hello@Pabjaye. I'd wanted to open an account in Wema bank,but can't find their address. Am on the mainland,Amuwo odofin/festac extension area. Where's the closest branch?
Re: When Banks Steal (wema A Case Study) by adewumiopeyemi(m): 9:45am On Jun 16, 2016
end time bank....
Re: When Banks Steal (wema A Case Study) by pabjaye: 10:26am On Jun 16, 2016
The closest branch to that axis i know is ORILE IGANMU 34, OPERE STREET, OFF LAGOS-BADAGRY EXPRESSWAY, ORILE IGANMU BRANCH however, you can call the customer support team on 08039003700 for more information on branch network and addrresses.
amandy:
Hello@Pabjaye. I'd wanted to open an account in Wema bank,but can't find their address. Am on the mainland,Amuwo odofin/festac extension area. Where's the closest branch?
Re: When Banks Steal (wema A Case Study) by Nobody: 10:33am On Jun 16, 2016
pabjaye:
The closest branch to that axis i know is ORILE IGANMU 34, OPERE STREET, OFF LAGOS-BADAGRY EXPRESSWAY, ORILE IGANMU BRANCH however, you can call the customer support team on 08039003700 for more information on branch network and addrresses.
thanks alot. I will enquire from the service team.

(1) (Reply)

Registration Of Trademarks In Nigeria. / WHY WE WANT YOU TO BE EMPLOYABLE / Africa's Richest Man Has This To Say To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.