Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,424 members, 7,819,532 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:39 PM

Sbs 2008 Help - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Sbs 2008 Help (1359 Views)

Help With My Sbs 2003 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sbs 2008 Help by mikesleek(m): 6:02pm On Aug 29, 2009
people i have a challenge here. I have an installation of sbs2008 and im trying to do routing on the server. That is i need to use the system to give out intenet access to other systems in my network but the systems are not just getting access to the internet. I configured DHCP on the server and clients are collecting IP address. HELP me o!
Re: Sbs 2008 Help by mikesleek(m): 5:10am On Aug 31, 2009
Strange, no ideas in the house?
Re: Sbs 2008 Help by blackweaver(m): 11:00am On Sep 01, 2009
i wish i had an answer to your issue; i don;t even know what sbs2008 is; perhaps if you
explained we may have ideas that could help you make it work - that is if you haven't
solved the problem yet.
i guess you're a sysadmin. perhaps you could also post your current configuration so that we know
where we're coming from
Re: Sbs 2008 Help by deji2009(m): 4:35pm On Sep 01, 2009
The only thing I know SBS stand for is small business server
Re: Sbs 2008 Help by mikesleek(m): 7:14pm On Sep 02, 2009
Thanks guys, Yes i am a sysadmin. We are trying to implement this SBS in our branch office to save off cost. SBS is small Business Server 2008
My config is intel xeon e5320 quad core processor server with 4gbb FBD ram
and is running on an intel server board model s5000vsa. has 2 network ports of course, one connects to the WAN and the other to my LAN. Im DHCP but im trying to implement routing and remote access. I hope i have provided the information you need.
Once again thanks.
Re: Sbs 2008 Help by xanadu: 8:10am On Sep 14, 2009
mikesleek:

people i have a challenge here. I have an installation of sbs2008 and im trying to do routing on the server. That is i need to use the system to give out intenet access to other systems in my network but the systems are not just getting access to the internet. I configured DHCP on the server and clients are collecting IP address. HELP me o!

@mikesleek,
First off, I am assuming your SBS 2008 server is connected to the Internet via a router - why not simply configure your clients to use that router's ip addres as their default gateway? As long as the router and the clients are in the same subnet, they should have access.

Anyway to the question. Note that Microsoft's recommended configuration for SBS 2008 is to have a hardware device (router, firewall etc) between it and the Internet - no direct connection to the Internet.

To configure Routing and Remote Access (I'll call it RRAS henceforth) in SBS 2008, you will need to:
a. Add the RRAS role
b. Enable RRAS service
b. Configure RRAS
Follow the steps below and you should be sorted:

1. Add RRAS roles

a. Go to server Manager (Start>>Administrative Tools>>Server Manager)
b. Right-click Roles, click Add Role. if the 'Before you begin' page appears, click Next
c. From list of roles, select (check) Network Policy and Access Services. Click Next
d. Select the RRAS options - remote access services, remote access service, and routing
e. Click Install

2. Enable RRAS - By default, the Remote Routing Access service is diabled, and you will need to enable it:
a. Go to Services (Start>>Administrative Tools>>Sevices)
b. Look for Routing and Remote Access  - right-click on it, click properties and enable the service

3. Configure RRAS
a. Go back to Server Manager
b. Expand Roles, and look for the role you just added - Network Policy and Access, and expand it
c. You should now see the Routing and Remotre Access role. Right-click on it and click Configure and enable Routing and Remote Access
d. Click Next on the Welcome page
e. On the RRAS setup wizard page, select NAT and click Next
f. On the next page, it shows you your available WAN connection that you wish to share. Select that, and  click Next, Next, and that completes the procedure.
Now note: it is possible in step (f) that your wan facing NIC might be greyed out - if this is the case, back up on step to the RRAS setup wizard page, and instead select the last option, 'Custom Configuration'. Click Next, select NAT click Next. Complete the wizard, and that's you done.

Any queries, let's know here. Good luck.
Re: Sbs 2008 Help by xanadu: 8:20am On Sep 14, 2009

(1) (Reply)

Mtn Usb Modem For Sale @4k / How To Transfer Files Between Pc And Android Using Xsender / Mobile Ads Business Development Workshop With Yemlat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.