Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers (784 Views)

The 5 Fears Wannabe Entrepreneurs Must Conquer / New Only 0.0001 Btc (10 Cents). / Hidden Truths About The Cooking Gas Business In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by webincomeplus(m): 1:22pm On Jun 15, 2016
Everyone and their dogs are creating blogs everyday. Yes, that's because blogging can be very lucrative. After all, Linda Ikeji, Uche Pedro, and several others are proofs to that effect.

But with the rate at which everyone is hopping onto the bandwagon of blogging, one might start to get worried about competition and all that. My friend, the truth is there are much fewer successful blogs than useless ones that will never make a dime. So, the blogosphere might seem saturated, but there's always room for new entrants to turn blogging into a business if they play their cards right.

Here in Nigeria, we have several thousands of people who claim to be bloggers, but the truth is only few of these people really make decent income online. Majority of blogs run by Nigerians are either struggling or outright failures. So, there's no fierce competition! Unless you think competition entails running a race with failed ventures.

Now, let's talk about how to become a successful blogger in Nigeria.

You've probably been told that all you need to do to start making money from blogging is to create a free blog, copy interesting articles from other blogs (or probably formulate lies and false news), slap up Adsense ads, and sit back to watch your bank account grow fatter. My friend, that's bullshi.t.

Now, let me ask you this: If you already read an interesting news update on Linda Ikeji's blog or Vanguard newspaper's website, would you still go ahead to click on the link to the same news posted by one unknown blogger? No, you won't! That explains why copy-and-paste blogging is one of the best ways in the world to waste your precious time.

And it drives me crazy when anyone tells me he/she wants to start an entertainment/celebrity gist blog. For crying out loud, that's one of the niches where it's hardest to be creative, and to attract an audience. I'm not saying you can't build a successful entertainment blog now, but it's far more difficult than what obtains in other niches.

So, your first step towards becoming a successful blogger in Nigeria is to find a niche that allows for expression of creativity. One that you're passionate and knowledgeable about. And most importantly, one that Nigerians (or others outside) are searching the web for information on.

I understand that you probably read physics with electronics in the university. But if you start a blog on that topics just because you're an expert on it, your blog would be read by you, one of your siblings, and probably your fiancee.

So, the most important factor to consider when choosing a topic to blog about, to me, is not interest or passion. It's a market for that topic! Although interest and passion are equally important, an impressive number of online followership of that topic is more important because that's what determines how much money you'll make. Well, the financial worth of your target audience is also something worth considering.

Yes, virtually every Nigerian is interested about entertainment and celebrity gist. And they search Google for information regarding celebs and others. But entertainment isn't the only lucrative niche. Others include job search/careers, visa acquisition tips, education-related information, and lots more (see here].

I still have a lot to teach as far as blogging in Nigeria is concerned. But let me stop here for now. I'll be back to continue.

PS. Pardon any typographical, grammatical, or style errors you see in this piece. I typed this quickly and didn't bother to edit.

1 Like

Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by jmichlins(m): 1:57pm On Jun 15, 2016
Let me teach you or better give you advice. Posting half topics here and asking us to visit your blog for the complete stuff is a failed way to drive traffic to your site so save the stress
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by webincomeplus(m): 11:38pm On Jun 15, 2016
jmichlins:
Let me teach you or better give you advice. Posting half topics here and asking us to visit your blog for the complete stuff is a failed way to drive traffic to your site so save the stress

Bro, I hate that strategy myself, and I discourage people against it. If you don't have comprehension problems, you should have seen that part where I wrote "I'll be back to continue."

My plan is to work on the thread every day until I exhaust all I planned to reveal. As for the link in the post, I put that because I can't copy and paste a 3000+-word post that took me several hours to write. And it's the reader's choice to click or not. I have a good number of well-established and developed blogs that pay my bills every month, so I'm far beyond adopting the "half-post" strategy.

My aim here is to help newbies, not to sell anything whatsoever.

So, learn how to think before drawing conclusions. Peace!

2 Likes

Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by mastercee(m): 7:11am On Jun 16, 2016
jmichlins:

Oga calm down! When it comes to teaching about niche blogging, Abass Toriola is your go-to guy. He's not an average bloggerblogger, he's a super blogger that knows about niche blogging inside out. I have really learnt alot from him

He deserves commendation not condemnation

1 Like

Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by dav8id(m): 7:27am On Jun 16, 2016
webincomeplus:

Bro, I hate that strategy myself, and I discourage people against it. If you don't have comprehension problems, you should have seen that part where I wrote "I'll be back to continue."

My plan is to work on the thread every day until I exhaust all I planned to reveal. As for the link in the post, I put that because I can't copy and paste a 3000+-word post that took me several hours to write. And it's the reader's choice to click or not. I have a good number of well-established and developed blogs that pay my bills every month, so I'm far beyond adopting the "half-post" strategy.

My aim here is to help newbies, not to sell anything whatsoever.

So, learn how to think before drawing conclusions. Peace!

great ..
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by MarioKizito1(m): 4:34pm On Sep 12, 2016
I totally agree with Abass. He opened my eyes to flee from entertainment blogging. Anyone that condemn Abass in the online sphere should be assured he or she is not ready to succed online.
More Grace.

(1) (Reply)

Idashnaira / Sterling Bank Visa Card User Needed / Crossing Goods From Cotonou To Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.