Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,195 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:28 AM

6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do (10068 Views)

Why It Is Difficult To Graduate With First-class In Nigeria / 10 Harsh Truths About Being An Adult / PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by Project400: 8:17pm On Jun 15, 2016
Just got a difficult project supervisor?

As in, sometimes he yell at you on the phone? sad Other times he ignores you, makes you feel worthless, and threatens to nullify your research? shocked

It’s like he is becoming the enemy your spiritual leader used to talk about, right? Here is a list of hidden truths about this set of supervisors you need to know:

1. They need you more than you need them:

I understand we've been made to believe supervisors are demigods, but the truth is that they largely need you more! Some lecturers are inexperienced in the area of supervision, hence they're added to a list of supervisors to gain 'experience'. While it is, perhaps, reasonable, the result might be devastating as they sometimes try to prove some 'points'.

As regard the experienced ones, your work is needed to elevate their portfolio. Supervision counts, they all get paid for it, get rewarded career-wise, and when you deliver an invaluable research, they prove authorship on all or some contents without your consent.

What can you do? Do Nothing when you have no proof.

2. You were assigned a project supervisor based on institutional convenience, not necessarily by research contribution

This is straightforward. Students are sometimes made to believe they were assigned a supervisor who has contributed immensely to their research field. While this might be true in some instances, have you ever considered what would happen when you choose a preferred topic and none of your Lecturers has contributed to that field? I bet, your institution would never hire a Lecturer for your singular sake even if you've paid a million naira tuition. Institutional convenience would make them force a topic down your throat, and when you resist, be prepared for battle.

3. They are career-obsessed and self-centered.

Do not let the aggressiveness deceive you. You may have thought the yelling and agitations are meant to make you excel, but the truth remains that he's more concerned about his career, his articles, promotion, etc. You both are engaging in similar tasks. An average supervisor conducts research from time to time, so God help you if two of his recently submitted articles have just been rejected by a reviewer. You'd have to explain to him reasons the articles were declared unfit for publication.

4. They do not read your work

Frankly, supervision is difficult. It takes more than commitment to supervise tens to hundred within a short timeframe. So, do not be surprised to read that majority do not read their students' papers in toto. HOWEVER, do not! AGAIN, do not, under the guise of this belief, present an incoherent writeup. Be rest assured that your work would be strictly monitored as soon as something fantastically devastating is spotted. So be cautious, and put the right things in place.

5. A bad relationship between students and supervisors is not always the fault of the supervisor

As previously mentioned, supervision is hard; it is harder when a communication gap sets in. Improved communication can dramatically improve your relationship with an aggressive supervisor. How do you improve your communication from the onset? State your goals and study objectives clearly; give your supervisor the aim of your research and what you seek to achieve. Be assertive when and where necessary.

More so, do not rule out the possibility of a bad personality fit. A supervisor who is overly taciturn may find it hard to engage you in a 10 minute conversation. It isn't really his fault, you have no control over his personality.

6. They give plantain, and demand plantain chips

This trend cuts across diverse institutions. Do not rely ONLY on Research Methodology 401, 501, 701 classes. They will ONLY define qualitative research, and demand from you Grounded Theory. Don't even expect, in your imaginations, to get intensive SPSS, Ms-Excel classes or training on other analytical Software like Orange.

You would be taught the conceptual differences between reliability and validity, but that's just about it. Expect nothing on how to to carryout a reliability or validity test on a survey questionnaire with 7-item Likert scales.

While you do need thorough explanations on certain research topics, there is usually no time or finance to acquire such. Hence, ensure that you're being guided by a good Lecturer, or someone with prerequisite understanding of your research process.

Source: Project400

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by Mediapace: 8:24pm On Jun 15, 2016
Nice one project

7 Likes

Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by Project400: 10:22pm On Jun 15, 2016
Mediapace:
Nice one project
Thank you Mediapace.
Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by Project400: 7:33pm On Jun 16, 2016
Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by Emmy35(f): 9:33am On Jun 17, 2016
Please I need help with my project. How do I get in touch with you?
Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by Project400: 2:37pm On Jun 17, 2016
Emmy35:
Please I need help with my project. How do I get in touch with you?

Hi Emmy35, we've earlier scheduled a meeting for today right?
Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by Emmy35(f): 3:21pm On Jun 17, 2016
Project400:

Hi Emmy35, we've earlier scheduled a meeting for today right?
Yea

1 Like

Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by Project400: 10:26am On Jun 22, 2016
smiley smiley
Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by Project400: 8:58am On Jun 27, 2016
Good morning everyone smiley
Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by Project400: 9:23pm On Jun 27, 2016
Hi pals
Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by Project400: 7:15am On Jun 28, 2016
wink
Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by MadCow1: 3:29pm On Jul 21, 2016
I slept with my Project supervisor.. She gave scored me 97% cool

Thats what I call a Win-Win.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by djemillionia: 3:36pm On Jul 21, 2016
Project ?? i never bother ma self i just photocopied another project, Roja ma supervisor some dOo............

The end ? got A.

no time

yep am a blogger

1 Like

Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by adioolayi(m): 3:36pm On Jul 21, 2016
For postgraduate students in Nigeria.... YOU ARE YOUR OWN SUPERVISOR grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by ChappyChase: 3:38pm On Jul 21, 2016
Got issues with your project supervisor? Hand them over to your baba Lawo!
Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jul 21, 2016
Project400:
wink

Sir i will be grateful if you can breeze through my project and give me some guidelines or corrections.thanks in advance.
Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by Handsomecole(m): 3:47pm On Jul 21, 2016
Check my siggy for your project write ups. UNILAG, OAU clients can confirm.
Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jul 21, 2016
Currently in 300L, civil engineering. . . I hope I can still contact you years from two years from now when I'm doing mine. . .
Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by hakinze00(m): 3:54pm On Jul 21, 2016
Dis forum is coming quite late for me,I just concluded my project writing last month and meh my project supervisor showed me hell....now I am just imaging the white beard professors I will face in the Project Defense

1 Like

Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by Histrings08(m): 4:00pm On Jul 21, 2016
Op you're right... Cos I could remember that our supervisor eventually asked us to send our soft copy into his mail, he said he's gonna publish it nd he did
Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by SaintUlot: 4:09pm On Jul 21, 2016
Make money daily directly into your bank account. Check my signature to get started
Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by KINGTELLER: 4:16pm On Jul 21, 2016
My own project supervisor was worse, a Prof. of international repute, it took him 2years to approve my project for binding
Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by teddyYz: 4:20pm On Jul 21, 2016
Having a terrible experience with one right now.
Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by shearer1982(m): 4:20pm On Jul 21, 2016
IN CASE YOU NEED ANY ASSISTANT ON THESIS WORK BSC, MSC, MPHIL, PHD YOU CAN REACH ME ON MINE WHATSAPP NUMBER 08175856060
Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by richmondefosa(m): 4:39pm On Jul 21, 2016
djemillionia:
Project ?? i never bother ma self i just photocopied another project, Roja ma supervisor some dOo............

The end ? got A.

no time

yep am a blogger

I am very sure you among the dullards screaming for Buhari's head. Simple project research you can't do. If you can playgiarize sombody's research work, what stops you from doing the same in your blog? Psycophantic Goat.

1 Like

Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by djemillionia: 4:43pm On Jul 21, 2016
richmondefosa:

I am very sure you among the dullards screaming for Buhari's head. Simple project research you can't do. If you can playgiarize sombody's research work, what stops you from doing the same in your blog? Psycophantic Goat.

first victim grin

1 Like

Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by AnietieWilliams(m): 6:20pm On Jul 21, 2016
My Project Supervisor always complain about my project. He complained about every method I used But he will ask other project students under him to come and learn from me. .... I got an A sha..... At the end I was so happy he was my supervisor because I learnt a lot from his complaint and corrections. Now I write project for my friends easily. Research Project writing is easy if you are ready to learn.

1 Like

Re: 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do by pedrilo: 7:48pm On Jul 21, 2016
i wrote mine in uniben, the idiot showed me shege! i worked and still parted with cash, if u refuse to giv him money, ur project automatically becomes a time-series project

(1) (2) (Reply)

Akanu Ibiam Federal Polytechnic Unwana Releases Second Semester Result / Serap Drags Fg To Un Over ‘failure To End ASUU Strike’ / Is Tai Solarin College Of Education Post Utme Form Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.