Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,317 members, 7,839,513 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 09:23 PM

Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? (10006 Views)

Lekki Free Zone Is A White-elephant And Failed Project? / Foc-sunborn Yacht Hotel: Lagos Floating White Elephant ! / Highway To Cameroun : White Elephant Project? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by babapupa: 9:42pm On Aug 30, 2009

I have been following most of your posts on this forum.

Some folks dislike no matter what. Beaf is one of them so don't waste your time going back n forth with him.

Just take a look at his senseless and pointless thoughts.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by babapupa: 9:46pm On Aug 30, 2009
Do you understand english at all?. Where did I write such a thing?. How did private investors and the issues we have in Nigeria equate to Fashola?. This fasholaMania is becoming a religion o.

Feel free to let me know what else you based your concern on,

Foresightedness and optimism and Fasholamania are different things,
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by Beaf: 9:49pm On Aug 30, 2009
babapupa:

Some folks dislike no matter what. Beaf is one of them so don't waste your time going back n forth with him.

Just take a look at his senseless and pointless thoughts.

Seeking attention again I see?
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by babapupa: 9:52pm On Aug 30, 2009
an Interstate highway system coupled with railways (what happened to rehabilitating NRC) would help Nigeria more than airports most of the population would hardly use.

Airports won't interconnect Nigeria.  

These are Federal responsibilities, not Fashola's. He's only doing what he's capable of in his state. There's separation of powers for a reason .

He's putting up a light rail system in his state and he juts flooded the streets with more buses. The state also opened up jetties and waterways transportation around the state,
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by babapupa: 9:58pm On Aug 30, 2009
Seeking attention again I see?

From you? what for? You have nothing to offer but your standard pointless negativism and like I said before, your folks and the good people of the delta need your attention.

Spending your days and night criticizing everything Lagos is not gonna make your people's lives any better or eradicate the pains, misery and odious corruption going on out there.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by Beaf: 10:01pm On Aug 30, 2009
^Delta? Can you read? Title of the topic is "Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project?"

Please don't derail this topic.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by babapupa: 10:05pm On Aug 30, 2009
Again and in case you missed it,

From you? what for? You have nothing to offer but your standard pointless negativism and like I said before, your folks and the good people of the delta need your attention.

Spending your days and night criticizing everything Lagos is not gonna make your people's lives any better or eradicate the pains, misery and odious corruption going on out there.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by Beaf: 10:07pm On Aug 30, 2009
^Yawn.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by babapupa: 10:10pm On Aug 30, 2009
Fine with me, grin
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by Beaf: 10:11pm On Aug 30, 2009
^Yawn
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by msaalli(m): 10:13pm On Aug 30, 2009
I believe this project is definitely not a white elephant project neither is it untimely. Even London has at least 5 airports inside and on its fringes. The airport on the island is long overdue and anyone who has ever lived on the island would testify to this. Apart from the Lekki Free Trade Zone, it would also immensely help reduce cost and journey times for those who live on the island and cutting the need to either drive through the maddening traffic through the heartland of Lagos and the exorbitant taxi fares as well as generating lots of revenue for the people and government of Lagos. Most people tend to forget that MMA does not service only the residents of Lagos at present but also the whole of the South-West and areas around the South-West. It also has the potential to attract more airlines flying into Nigeria  directly instead of connecting flights and thus helping to reduce fares as well as journey times to various destinations on the regional routes and international routes as well.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by fyneguy: 10:14pm On Aug 30, 2009
Beaf:

Tackle the issue at hand.

Kobojunkie,

Perhaps you need the education more than I do.

Have you ever heard such statements as '', embarking on sustainable projects'' and '' , formulating  a national(in this case, state)plan''?.

Fashola is embarking on sustainable projects which any sane successor will continue with. It's just like saying Fashola's successor will do away with the BRT project.

You have to be devillish to do such a thing.

Again, we should remain optimistic and Lagosians know well enough to ensure another pragmatic leader succeeds Fashola.

The
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by babapupa: 10:25pm On Aug 30, 2009
^Yawn

Still, fine with me,
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by fyneguy: 10:33pm On Aug 30, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

While I agree with your plea for optimism. Let's not forget that Lagos state is in Nigeria and not a sovereign nation. If the head is rotten, the body will not function well, have you heard that before?.
Do you know that individuals own roads and airports abroad?. What stops these investors from running a long bridge from mainland to Lekki and VI without passing through the island so that those who can afford the toll can drive through after a long day at work without problems?.

Typically, such infrastructure is capital intensive and an investor will not recoup his capital from toll fees in the first 5 years but if Nigeria is not stable, who will take such risk?. Another govt may enter tomorrow and revoke the license. Will you carry your bridge home if such a thing happens?. That is why foreign investors shy away from putting a lot in tangible properties because we are not stable. If the head is not stable, Fashola may be laboring in vain. Look, your vote doesn't count in Nigeria and don't be surprised if Fashola did not make it come 2011 because all these money he is using to clean up lagos should be in someones pocket and that someone is running out of patience with him. If that someone is a kingmaker, kiss Fashola goodbye.

I'm struggling so hard to make excuses for you.

Mildly put, you need to demilitarize your psyche. We are not running a unitary system here!

The issue of the head being rotten, does not apply at all. Such only applies to states that are not viable. They always look up to the feds for things to happen.

NO! Lagos is not in that class.

And if votes did not count in Lagos, Obanikoro should be in Alausa by now undecided
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by Kobojunkie: 10:47pm On Aug 30, 2009
fyneguy:

Kobojunkie,

Perhaps you need the education more than I do.

Have you ever heard such statements as '', embarking on sustainable projects'' and '' , formulating  a national(in this case, state)plan''?.

Fashola is embarking on sustainable projects which any sane successor will continue with. It's just like saying Fashola's successor will do away with the BRT project.

You have to be devillish to do such a thing.

Again, we should remain optimistic and Lagosians know well enough to ensure another pragmatic leader succeeds Fashola.

The

Do you people ever focus on topics rather than deviating to make it another US vs THEM debate?
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by bawomolo(m): 10:48pm On Aug 30, 2009
what part of ''MMA belongs to the Feds'' dont you understand?

and so.  why does Lagos need another airport.  improving on the roads and water transportation would be much more beneficial.  I thought Lagos state wanted to build jetties.  

And Having 2 international airports in such a mega city as Lagos does not amount to ''airport clustering''.

It is.  you seem to forget most citizens in this mega city (mega because of it's overblown population) are more affected by their everyday commute than delays at MMA.  is MMA overcrowded or something.   You can build a small local airport but whats an international airport for?  

There's an abadoned stadium owned by Feds in Lagos, and the state govt deemed it fit to build a befitting stadium just opposite the cemetry-looking National stadium and the people are the better for it.

yeah build a stadium right next to another one.  definitely a good use of valuable land.  na stadium man go chop?
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by bawomolo(m): 10:53pm On Aug 30, 2009
These are Federal responsibilities, not Fashola's. He's only doing what he's capable of in his state. There's separation of powers for a reason .

He's putting up a light rail system in his state and he juts flooded the streets with more buses. The state also opened up jetties and waterways transportation around the state,

that makes sense but why is an international airport a necessity.

Is MMA overcrowded. We aren't talking about O'haire airport here.

The last thing lagos wants to do is assume a lot of debt building an airport patronized only by a small subset of it's population.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by AloyEmeka6: 10:53pm On Aug 30, 2009
fyneguy:

I'm struggling so hard to make excuses for you.

Mildly put, you need to demilitarize your psyche. We are not running a unitary system here!

The issue of the head being rotten, does not apply at all. Such only applies to states that are not viable. They always look up to the feds for things to happen.

NO! Lagos is not in that class.

And if votes did not count in Lagos, Obanikoro should be in Alausa by now undecided 
So, there is no more corruption the state of Lagos?
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by Beaf: 10:55pm On Aug 30, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Do you people ever focus on topics rather than deviating to make it another US vs THEM debate?

Exactly o! They've even coined a new us vs them slang, "the feds". shocked

@Topic
Hisses. Like say no be de same 9ja all of us dey.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by fyneguy: 10:55pm On Aug 30, 2009
bawomolo:

and so.  why does Lagos need another airport.  improving on the roads and water transportation would be much more beneficial.  I thought Lagos state wanted to build jetties.  

It is.  you seem to forget most citizens in this mega city (mega because of it's overblown population) are more affected by their everyday commute than delays at MMA.  is MMA overcrowded or something.   You can build a small local airport but whats an international airport for?  

yeah build a stadium right next to another one.  definitely a good use of valuable land.  na stadium man go chop?

Yes an international airport is needed to take care of the cargo movement needs of the Lekki Free trade zone. Besides, the government can use it for dual purpose- running local and international flights there.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by fyneguy: 10:59pm On Aug 30, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

So, there is no more corruption the state of Lagos?

lol Alloy my man, let's not muddle up issues.

The topic is not corruption in Lagos. Whatever corruption is in Lagos has not significantly affected the progress of Lagos, especially if corruption were to be taken as a constant factor in all states of Nigeria.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by fyneguy: 11:04pm On Aug 30, 2009
bawomolo:

The last thing lagos wants to do is assume a lot of debt building an airport patronized only by a small subset of it's population.

How did you arrive at this? Do you really think a 2nd international airport will be under-utilized in Lagos? You don't have a clear idea what Lagos is all about.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by Hanoobaba(m): 11:16pm On Aug 30, 2009
Lagosians are funny people, a third airport is about to be built and you guys are complaining. Geographically Ogun state is larger than Lagos state and we've not got a landing strip not to talk of airport and our Agro cargo airport is still under construction. If you guys are not comfortable with a third airport, let them come and build it in Abeokuta.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by bawomolo(m): 11:20pm On Aug 30, 2009
fyneguy:

How did you arrive at this? Do you really think a 2nd international airport will be under-utilized in Lagos? You don't have a clear idea what Lagos is all about.

don't you think a railway would be better for cargo and do you think the state can manage this airport?

Be ready to pay more taxes o. nothing comes for free.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by Kobojunkie: 11:25pm On Aug 30, 2009
I think the next to follow will be that this is private. And to that I ask why the fears expressed in the article starting this thread.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by fyneguy: 11:34pm On Aug 30, 2009
bawomolo:

don't you think a railway would be better for cargo and do you think the state can manage this airport?

Be ready to pay more taxes o. nothing comes for free.

I believe the project will be patterned after PPP. Besides, the project will be self-financing. The same fears were expressed on BRT, such that many banks refused to fund it but today, they all regret it.

Lagos is such a sweet terrain for such a project to thrive wink
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by fyneguy: 11:36pm On Aug 30, 2009
Hanoobaba:

Lagosians are funny people, a third airport is about to be built and you guys are complaining. Geographically Ogun state is larger than Lagos state and we've not got a landing strip not to talk of airport and our Agro cargo airport is still under construction. If you guys are not comfortable with a third airport, let them come and build it in Abeokuta.

Your point exactly being?
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by MrCrackles(m): 11:38pm On Aug 30, 2009
Hanoobaba:

Is that in your backyard or what?
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by babapupa: 12:31am On Aug 31, 2009

It is a necessity because they're building a free trade zone to serve over a billion customers. On top of that, they also need a deep sea port.

And what debt are you talking about? How do you get saddled with debt when you're not committing your own money?

One more time, it's 100% privately funded and not a dime of tax payers money is involved.

Show me a free trade zone without an International or cargo handling airport,

• 100% foreign ownership
• 100% income and corporate tax exemption
• 100% Capital & Profit repatriation
• Long term renewable lease
• Strategic location with access to over 1.2 billion consumers
• Transparent laws and regulations
• Promotion centers in Dubai and Abu Dhabi
• Simple and fast application procedures
• State of the art communication facilities
• Excellent Sea port and International Air port facilities
• Easy international Access
• Abundant energy supply
• Marketing support services • Prohibition of strikes' and lock outs • One stop for all permits and the business licences

http://www.lekkifreezone-ng.com/
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by babapupa: 1:08am On Aug 31, 2009
and so. why does Lagos need another airport. improving on the roads and water transportation would be much more beneficial. I thought Lagos state wanted to build jetties.

Obviously, the state is doing all that and we have credible evidence to establish that, You're talking as if the gov' is neglecting what they are actually not neglecting and spending the state's money on what they are in fact not spending it on.

What we are talking about here is foreign investments. It is the the gov's job to seek and encourage foreign investments in all sectors of the economy in his state and LFTZ and the new airport is good for the state and thousands of job seeking Lagosians/Nigerians.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by babapupa: 1:46am On Aug 31, 2009
I think the next to follow will be that this is private And to that I ask why the fears expressed in the article starting this thread.

You know you're free to dispute that.

And the article was about compensating land owners, not some fears about the project or one man's white elephant concerns on NL.

Pick one and quit playing fast and loose with the facts,
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by Beaf: 4:44am On Aug 31, 2009
^Jesu Oyingbo grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Let's Discuss Importation Business En Route Cotonou!!! / Bank Verification Number Project: All You Need To Know / Dangote To Co-Chair World Economic Forum Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.